Told to wear a mask dude gets stabby & ends up dead

Wally Fairway

Mask wearing, and such is serious shit here in Michigan

Only a few miles from my house this morning - Old guy tells a younger guy he needs to wear a mask going into a convenience store (think Circle K or 7-11) and Old guy gets stabbed. Younger guy flees the scene, cops get the plate and find him on a residential street, dude comes at the deputy with the knife and gets shot.....shot dead.

I have friends who live on the street where the shooting occurred, it is a pretty nice neighborhood; well pretty nice for this area.

https://www.wilx.com/2020/07/14/heavy-police-presence-in-delta-township/

Sucks this old dude got stuck, but come on....you are going to get into words at a gas station with a complete stranger over a mask?  He didn't get stabbed over "a mask"...he got stabbed because he interjected himself into someone else's business.  I've seen shootings on Greenville (Dallas) over cab fare outside the Royal Rack Room (pool hall).  Doesn't have to be much to get someone spun up.  You never know if the person you are barking at is at the absolute end of their rope....as it seems this kid was.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I'm just fucking shocked that your take would involve shifting blame to the mask-wearer.

And I'm just fucking shocked you completely missed the point that when you involve yourself in the matters of a complete stranger you put yourself at risk....

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Sucks this old dude got stuck, but come on....you are going to get into words at a gas station with a complete stranger over a mask?  He didn't get stabbed over "a mask"...he got stabbed because he interjected himself into someone else's business.  I've seen shootings on Greenville (Dallas) over cab fare outside the Royal Rack Room (pool hall).  Doesn't have to be much to get someone spun up.  You never know if the person you are barking at is at the absolute end of their rope....as it seems this kid was.  

I mean, it really all depends how the interaction went.

If the old dude had simply said, "Excuse me sir, you need to be wearing a mask when indoors," and left it at that, then it's hard to take issue with someone giving a simple reminder in the best interest of his and others' health.

On the other hand, if he approached the other dude aggressively and said, "Wear a fucking mask!" while hypocritically being within 6 feet to deliver that message, then, sure he's taking a pretty big gamble on the stability of a total stranger.

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

And I'm just fucking shocked you completely missed the point that when you involve yourself in the matters of a complete stranger you put yourself at risk....

You don't understand who was putting who at risk that started the whole thing.

• Like 5

Just now, aggie08 said:

I mean, it really all depends how the interaction went.

If the old dude had simply said, "Excuse me sir, you need to be wearing a mask when indoors," and left it at that, then it's hard to take issue with someone giving a simple reminder in the best interest of his and others' health.

On the other hand, if he approached the other dude aggressively and said, "Wear a fucking mask!" while hypocritically being within 6 feet to deliver that message, then, sure he's taking a pretty big gamble on the stability of a total stranger.

Of course.  We don't have a video or witness account, but even for a complete psycho to get spun up to a point that he F'ing stabs you...like I said, often the initial interaction point becomes irrelevant as things escalate.  Just walk away...

1 minute ago, RPM said:

You don't understand who was putting who at risk that started the whole thing.

Find another way to save the world.  This isn't the internet.  Or from the safety of your car.  You get face to face with a complete stranger...they get a say in how things go that are outside your control.  Maybe just let it be and go about your business.  You never know, as stated, if this person is at their wit's end.  My guess is this probably escalated as more words were spoken, then it spiraled up.  Just let it go people.  

The two of you are both missing the point of the story.  We finally have a justified Incident of police killing a dangerous shoot in 2020.  My heart breaks for the old man and I think it was within his rights.  But the good news is somebody we never needed on the planet to begin with is gone and the police were completely justified in shooting him.  This is actually what progressivism looks like in the shit tastic year

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Maybe just let it be and go about your business.

If the guy was spreading HIV and walking into a bar you daughter was in, would you go about your business? Deadly virus is deadly virus, no?

Yeah this ain't it

4 minutes ago, RPM said:

If the guy was spreading HIV and walking into a bar you daughter was in, would you go about your business? Deadly virus is deadly virus, no?

Does he have a flame-thrower and a claymore strapped to his chest also?  lol....nobody is defending this young knife-wielding turd.  It's also a testament to what can happen when you pop off to the wrong person.  Again, maybe let things go at some random gas station.....not like he's walking into the House of Representatives.  

Sounds like mental illness. He was gonna snap soon. Maybe it was a good thing an old got it instead of a kid or worse, a puppy. I hope the old guy gets better soon.

I'm sure he is going to think twice before giving anyone helpful advice, in a polite tone or otherwise. Too many freaks out there with nothing better to do but take drugs or drink and up their chances of snapping. 

• Like 1

So what you're really saying is that I should quit confronting people at the motel?  Do I have that right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Find another way to save the world.  This isn't the internet.  Or from the safety of your car.  You get face to face with a complete stranger...they get a say in how things go that are outside your control.  Maybe just let it be and go about your business.  You never know, as stated, if this person is at their wit's end.  My guess is this probably escalated as more words were spoken, then it spiraled up.  Just let it go people.  

I tell people at work to put their mask on all the time. I've already lost one friend and colleague. Not trying to save the world, just ones close to me.

• Like 2

I tell people at work to put their mask on all the time. I've already lost one friend and colleague. Not trying to save the world, just ones close to me.

Telling professionals you regularly work with is vastly different than confronting some random stranger in the parking lot of a convenience store. The actions of the knife wielder are in no way justified and nobody here is saying that they were. But old dude wouldn’t have gotten stabbed if he had just gone about his business and the knife guy might still be alive.

• Like 2

Just now, Hate said:

Telling professionals you regularly work with is vastly different than confronting some random stranger in the parking lot of a coven hence store. The actions of the knife wielder are in no way justified and nobody here is saying that they were. But old dude wouldn’t have gotten stabbed if he had just gone about his business and the knife guy might still be alive.

I'm telling members of the public. People I don't know. Because I interact with them. But should I be attacked for doing so, I'm glad to see there will be a healthy debate as to who's at fault.

Like everyone has said, nobody has said the attacker would be justified. Are you intentionally not reading those parts? It’s not justification for an attack to explain the risks you face when you approach a total stranger and tell them what they should or should not be doing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Like everyone has said, nobody has said the attacker would be justified. Are you intentionally not reading those parts? It’s not justification for an attack to explain the risks you face when you approach a total stranger and tell them what they should or should not be doing.

The person I responded to said the following:

"He didn't get stabbed over "a mask"...he got stabbed because he interjected himself into someone else's business."

I read that as shifting blame to the victim.

You're free to disagree on that point.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Oh, people you know......How noble.  Now, go find a random gas station and get to preaching.  Tell us where so we can video and have an ambulance on standby when you pop off to the wrong person.  

23 minutes ago, Foosters said:

The person I responded to said the following:

"He didn't get stabbed over "a mask"...he got stabbed because he interjected himself into someone else's business."

I read that as shifting blame to the victim.

You're free to disagree on that point.

It's not blame - it's a lesson in reality that if you chose to interject yourself into the lives of others, you run the very real risk of escalation and confrontation.  There's a chance this guy said in the most polite way possible to "please wear a mask".....there is a greater possibility he was blunt about it, the guy with the knife popped off back, and it escalated.  Hence the outcome.  

Life lesson in "just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean it's wise to do so"

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, people you know......How noble.  Now, go find a random gas station and get to preaching.  Tell us where so we can video and have an ambulance on standby when you pop off to the wrong person.  

It's not blame - it's a lesson in reality that if you chose to interject yourself into the lives of others, you run the very real risk of escalation and confrontation.  There's a chance this guy said in the most polite way possible to "please wear a mask".....there is a greater possibility he was blunt about it, the guy with the knife popped off back, and it escalated.  Hence the outcome.  

Life lesson in "just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean it's wise to do so"

She got raped because of the way she was acting.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hate said:

Telling professionals you regularly work with is vastly different than confronting some random stranger in the parking lot of a coven hence store. The actions of the knife wielder are in no way justified and nobody here is saying that they were. But old dude wouldn’t have gotten stabbed if he had just had his gun with him.

Fifm

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Foosters said:

She got raped because of the way she was acting.

Just stop.  This isn't the fucking cloak room where you can spin your yarn of false equivalencies and straw-men arguments without push-back.  For the fourth fucking time.  You were not there.  Neither were we, but it seems a good example of where interjecting yourself into the lives of others includes a substantial amount of risk.

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Sounds like mental illness. He was gonna snap soon. Maybe it was a good thing an old got it instead of a kid or worse, a puppy. I hope the old guy gets better soon.

I'm sure he is going to think twice before giving anyone helpful advice, in a polite tone or otherwise. Too many freaks out there with nothing better to do but take drugs or drink and up their chances of snapping. 

Or worse, a puppy? I'd rather the puppy than a kid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Just stop.  This isn't the fucking cloak room where you can spin your yarn of false equivalencies and straw-men arguments without push-back.  For the fourth fucking time.  You were not there.  Neither were we, but it seems a good example of where interjecting yourself into the lives of others includes a substantial amount of risk.

So you disagree that the statement "he got stabbed because he interjected himself in other's business" is not blame shifting? 

Yes or no.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

The real question is where is the "let is slide" line?
There are many scenarios that can be invented to show either side has taken more risk, but seriously telling someone they need to wear a mask, in a state where it is now required to wear a mask in a public place doesn't seem like he is telling the guy to go fuck himself.
Is it more of a risk that driving on public roads, or crossing the street - well if you believe in outcome based answers then clearly it was a much higher risk. Seems to me that saying something shouldn't be such a risk that you have to let it slide. I get it that people can tell me to fuck off, or mind my own business - it isn't like I'm road raging against them, but sometimes things need to be checked or have Americans lost their backbone?

Should it be a life or death decision to make a comment in public - there is no report of an argument, or yelling - but that old guy said he needs to wear a mask & got stabbed for it. 
To bad we don't have a local expert on this to talk about the stabbers perspective - didn't Capt'n BBQ Stabby post as @shoelessjoe? Did he not make the move over from the shitty board?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So you disagree that the statement "he got stabbed because he interjected himself in other's business" is not blame shifting? 

Yes or no.

C'mon man, you know there's more nuance to most situations than that. Most of BabaYaga's posts on this board I vehemently disagree with, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that initiating a confrontation with a complete stranger (even if you're 100% in the right and have justification to do so) is inherently more risky than minding your business. It doesn't mean that what happens next is your fault--and I'm not even saying the old man shouldn't have said anything--but there are potential negative outcomes.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

The real question is where is the "let is slide" line?
There are many scenarios that can be invented to show either side has taken more risk, but seriously telling someone they need to wear a mask, in a state where it is now required to wear a mask in a public place doesn't seem like he is telling the guy to go fuck himself.
Is it more of a risk that driving on public roads, or crossing the street - well if you believe in outcome based answers then clearly it was a much higher risk. Seems to me that saying something shouldn't be such a risk that you have to let it slide. I get it that people can tell me to fuck off, or mind my own business - it isn't like I'm road raging against them, but sometimes things need to be checked or have Americans lost their backbone?

Should it be a life or death decision to make a comment in public - there is no report of an argument, or yelling - but that old guy said he needs to wear a mask & got stabbed for it. 
To bad we don't have a local expert on this to talk about the stabbers perspective - didn't Capt'n BBQ Stabby post as @shoelessjoe? Did he not make the move over from the shitty board?

Agreed on all counts.  Now, to play the percentages, seeing as the outcome was attempted murder, do you think it was a cordial "hey, please wear your mask".....or do you think both sides dug in and it escalated in such a way that was needless and unnecessary?  Which, at that point, seeing as the two were in stabbing distance of each other, not shouting across the street, nor were there indications the attacker ran at and chased the victim down.....which seems to be more likely?  And which scenario could have been easily avoided?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

C'mon man, you know there's more nuance to most situations than that. Most of BabaYaga's posts on this board I vehemently disagree with, but there's nothing wrong with pointing out that initiating a confrontation with a complete stranger (even if you're 100% in the right and have justification to do so) is inherently more risky than minding your business. It doesn't mean that what happens next is your fault, but there are potential negative outcomes.

Edit: I'll move on. @Wally Fairway articulated what I was trying to say. Yes, there's nuance. I reacted a certain way because I perceived blame being shifted on the victim for requesting someone wear a mask. I don't see that as "initiating a confrontation."

I would agree with @BabaYaga that without knowing more about how it went down, we're all just speculating on the level of risk inherent in making that request.

• Like 1