Dart Bowl closing after 62 Years

irishtexan

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Brisket and I briefly discussed this on Facebook. Invest in a "stand alone" place and move her there. Don't see how you could loose. I would invest.

CHIEF.

If you time it for late 2021 I’m in. 

in all seriousness, there will be a lot of gaps to fill or the chili’s and Applebee’s will take over.  

• Like 2

My crew and I showed up Wednesday right before 5. There was already 8 or so people in line to order. Took a bit to get to the front, but we killed time with beers. Got to the front and they said enchiladas were going to be at least a two hour wait. Took a chance and ordered a plate, (they had no more beans and rice), added double cheeseburger, chili cheese fries and a club sandwich. Had a couple more beers and then the burger, fries and sandwich came out. Everything was on point and as good as I remembered. Not long later, the enchiladas came out and they were perfection. We enjoyed every bite and just hanging out drinking beers. I'm a Mac grad and an Austin lifer, so I am really going to miss that place. Lots of good times there. New Austin can fuck right off. Sorry no pics, I wasn't thinking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

I moved to Brentwood at the end of 2019, a decent walk from McCallum, where my daughter will be a freshman this year (virtually, at least). She and her friends were really looking forward to Dart Bowl hang-outs as high-schoolers, and she was genuinely sad at the news. 

Fuck you, COVID.

• Like 3

• Generally all lanes are booked at night for league play about 5 or 6 days a week. That was the good thing about opening a restaurant in a bowling alley. You had a guaranteed crowd every night. With Covid I doubt there was any league play going on which is what did them in.
Sad day in Austin Texas.
If I had the money I would open something up for Peggy to do her thing. This virus shit will not last forever hopefully.

Except league dues per night were $15 per person in my Wednesday night league. That includes prize money and money that pays the person that runs the league at the bowling alley. I think that person makes around a buck a person. So the alley itself was probably only taking in about $11 per person/night. Four team league means the alley takes in maybe $45 per lane per night from 8:30-11pm. Say an average of 25 lanes per league and that’s only $1,125 per night. That requires two people up front, a lane attendant, and someone working the machines in the back.

I’m pretty sure that the restaurant and the bowling alley were separate entities owned by different parties. Not sure of their financial relationship. Regardless, seems like margins are tight.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Except league dues per night were $15 per person in my Wednesday night league. That includes prize money and money that pays the person that runs the league at the bowling alley. I think that person makes around a buck a person. So the alley itself was probably only taking in about $11 per person/night. Four team league means the alley takes in maybe $45 per lane per night from 8:30-11pm. Say an average of 25 lanes per league and that’s only $1,125 per night. That requires two people up front, a lane attendant, and someone working the machines in the back.

I’m pretty sure that the restaurant and the bowling alley were separate entities owned by different parties. Not sure of their financial relationship. Regardless, seems like margins are tight.

They have always been separate entities going all of the way back to the original location on Burnet Road near Anderson Lane. Brilliant idea to open a restaurant in a bowling alley however. It guarantees an automatic crowd every night that buys beer and food. But these guys were so good they would have a huge lunch day crowd during the week when maybe 1 or 2 lanes were being used.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

I found some metal plates on Amazon so I don’t have to cook my enchiladas in a casserole dish like a heathen any longer.

ChefGiant Sizzling Plate Steak Platter Set, 10 Inch Oval Aluminum with Wood Underliner Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZSLUK9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_uuwjFb6SEKCSY

I bought the black plastic holders and stainless platters.

CHIEF