Run off election game day thread

cactusflinthead

So in SD-14, the Top 2 go to a runoff no matter what (regardless of party?), unless somebody hits 50%+1, which is not going to happen between Eddie, Zimmerman, and Eckhardt.  Right?  

Edited by Lobo

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

Fuck Pine Box Tommy.

How could anybody ever believe a word he says?

Because Cheeto endorsed him over the Evil Elf.  I would have been okay if Tuberville lost to embarrass Trump but I hate Sessions enough to be glad he is eating shit right now. Fuck that guy. And Tuberville should be on his bus next time it catches fire. Fuck that guy too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Aggy doctor candy man wins.

How fucked up is Texas?

Well, this guy will win in November and be the Rep of my parents.  My parents live in Gainesville/Cooke County.  Cooke County is at most an hour straight nawf of Dallas. 

This guy is based out of Amarillo (or somewhere over there).

How and why is a county an hour north of Dallas in the same district as fucking Dalhart?  Makes no damn sense. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pancho said:

How fucked up is Texas?

Well, this guy will win in November and be the Rep of my parents.  My parents live in Gainesville/Cooke County.  Cooke County is at most an hour straight nawf of Dallas. 

How and why is a county an hour north of Dallas in the same district as fucking Dalhart?  Makes no damn sense. 

You know why. Same reason Crenshaw has a seat.

9 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Hate to say it, but runoff turnout info is useless.

primary and general election info is much much more important.

don't disagree one bit. I'm not trying to make any overarching point here. just was surprised at the disparity, that's all. if it's harbinger of things to come, even fucking better

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

don't disagree one bit. I'm not trying to make any overarching point here. just was surprised at the disparity, that's all. if it's harbinger of things to come, even fucking better

What were the numbers like in the last runoff?  

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

How and why is a county an hour north of Dallas in the same district as fucking Dalhart?

because texas has 36 congressional districts  and not even 5 of them are west of I35.  just no one living out there.  so they're going to take up big swathes of land.  maybe if 21 and 25 weren't hilariously gerrymandered to break up SA and austin the rural counties could be put into 11, leading to some dominoes where cooke and wise were in much more compact districts.  but jack, montague, or clay would still probably be in the same district as dalhart. 

real solution would be doubling the number of representatives but in an era of big data and partisan gerrymanders being ok by the court system i don't know that i trust anyone with redistricting. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, elfenix said:

because texas has 36 congressional districts  and not even 5 of them are west of I35.  just no one living out there.  so they're going to take up big swathes of land.  maybe if 21 and 25 weren't hilariously gerrymandered to break up SA and austin the rural counties could be put into 11, leading to some dominoes where cooke and wise were in much more compact districts.  but jack, montague, or clay would still probably be in the same district as dalhart. 

Your first line lies at the crux of the matter. Historically, West Texas has had five districts and they did everything they could to keep five still "anchored" out there in the last round of redistricting.

But, because the US hasn't increased the number of its representatives as the population swells, each congressperson now represents roughly 750,000 people.

Guess what. The population west of I-35 is just about 3 million. Now divide that by 750,000, and you get four, which is the number of reps West Texas would have in a somewhat sane world.

An even saner world would increase the number of representatives in the House so each district weren't so insanely large 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

How fucked up is Texas?

By the end of the recent political campaign, I wanted both Jackson AND Weingarner to lose.

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Kathaleen Wall crushed 72-28 in 15 person race...She outspent her opponent Troy Nehls 16-1. 

I like Kulkarni there in the general -- I think that seat flips D. 

Democrats should send wall a thank you card for her last few weeks of desperation campaigning where she pretty much emptied her war chest in an all out attack on Nehls.

Nehls will be damaged and bloodied for the general election.

this seat and will hurds seat will most likely flip to the Democrats in the fall.

Edited by Voldemort86

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Hegar v Cornyn. Don't know if she has a shot, but I'll contribute to her campaign 

War Vet vs Career Political Slug

I'll take War Vet, please and thank you.

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man I wish there some way you could type that question somewhere and the answer was populated for you...

but seriously, which runoff do you speak of?

Hey, this is Surly.  If we can't get people to google stuff for us, then what the fuck are we doing here?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

War Vet vs Career Political Slug

I'll take War Vet, please and thank you.

So is it official? I'm ordering a sign from the winner. I may have to figure out how to rig an alarm bell, because it won't stick around long in our neighborhood.

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So is it official? I'm ordering a sign from the winner. I may have to figure out how to rig an alarm bell, because it won't stick around long in our neighborhood.

Yep. As far as the sign, I'm sure she wouldn't mind a little Concertina wire garnish.

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Hegar v Cornyn. Don't know if she has a shot, but I'll contribute to her campaign 

Really wish she'd run against Carter again - if she won she'd have a record and we'd know where she actually stands. It's going to be too easy to scare people that she's too liberal for Texas. West was right that she's short on details - she's going to need one heck of a campaign pitch to have any success OR hope that Trump becomes so unpopular here that he brings Cornyn down with him.

Just MHO.

22 minutes ago, RPM said:

Yep. As far as the sign, I'm sure she wouldn't mind a little Concertina wire garnish.

She’s Air Force, not a Green Beret... hang a pen caddy and some paperclips on there.

Edited by slorch

Alabama is an utter shit show.  Tubberville having an inside track on being a fucking US Senator is pretty much perfect for America, 2020.

But I just can't help but chuckle at Sessions.  He is the poster child for the loyalty and ethics of Trump and Trumpism: Sessions sold his soul, he was the first major political figure to go all-in on Trump.  And where did it get him?  Ultimately, tossed out in the trash, scorned by Trump because he wasn't willing to shamelessly breach the law/ethics for him.

The fate of Jeff Sessions is the fate of Trumpkins.  When you choose team Trump, you are committing career suicide.  Good.  Fuck 'em.

• Like 3

still 7+:1 ratio? that's pretty nuts
It's a primary runoff. That narrows the number of voters so vastly that it invalidates any comparison. And of course, Democratic primaries in Travis are the actual election for many races, including anything countywide. Not so for GOP.

Some a y’all might cool your jets on Heger, turns out she flew marijuana eradication missions after her tours in Afghanistan. Lolz.

I take back my paper clips and pen caddy comment earlier.  Definitely has street cred on her military resume.  Definitely didn’t just sit back and let the world come to her.