Texas GOP Convention- live stream

StassneyHorn

“Can you hear me?”

If you’ve seen the train wrecks that are the SREC meetings, this should be a delight. Facebook and YouTube. YouTube goes to their channel so if they aren’t currently in a session you will see a menu of past sessions from the day.

https://m.facebook.com/RepublicanPartyofTexas/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

https://www.texasgop.org/livestreamlinks/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

put it on the ballot in 2021 and scare everyone into thinking we'll have a popular vote just like they scared everyone into thinking we were immediately going to have an income tax if the anti-income tax amendment didn't pass in 2019.  the dead hand of the boomers is going to be driving for a long time. 

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This is what happens when the people in power realize the power is quickly slipping and they’ll do anything to maintain power. 

It’s too late. 

Also there is no way this convention isn’t comedy gold. The Texas GOP is among the dumbest GOPs around. I’m not gonna watch it live but I will get around to eventually watching the recording. So many great moments to come. 

One good thing about Texas is it’s formerly populist past and general anti-government stance makes it very difficult, if not impossible, for the Texas GOP to fuck everyone over like the Georgia and North Carolina GOP likes to do to their state. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elfenix said:

am i seeing anti-catholic comments in the feed?

2020-07-16_14-41-03.jpg

image.gif.9e04231f10c38072fe04613ec66fc45d.gif

Started at 9 with nobody having credentials, big welcome started 30-40 minutes behind at 1:40 and they have gotten like 4-5 prerecorded messages with bluegrass playing in between.

Allen West will be new Chair and will have the collection of biggest dorks running the major counties GOP parties. This is their low key demise.

Edited by StassneyHorn

Par the course for most members in the GOP. Computer illiterates who blame problems on viruses and hacking when they don’t know what the fuck is going on. Can’t think of a worse generation of voters to try and lead in the 21st century./beers

Had a good time trolling people today.

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Par the course for most members in the GOP. Computer illiterates who blame problems on viruses and hacking when they don’t know what the fuck is going on. Can’t think of a worse generation of voters to try and lead in the 21st century./beers

Had a good time trolling people today.

# MAGA

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’m surprised they didn’t find another location after Houston cancelled them. There must be a city/county in Texas that doesn’t care about covid and has large facilities. 

Beaumont in east Texas or midland / Odessa in west Texas come to mind.

die hard republican cities in die hard republican areas who don’t give a shit about Covid.  I’m surprised they aren’t stepping up to try and host at the last minute.

Beaumont is far from a reliable Republican stronghold.  Jefferson county went blue in 2018, 2012, and 2008 to name a few.  It was also one of only 2 counties that went for Gore in 2000 iirc but I couldn't find a map of that.  The last map is of the 84 Reagan landslide back when Jack Brooks was our long time congressman and Jefferson was blue as fuck because of its coalition of black and union voters.  No shortage of crazy MAGA racists over there but I'd be shocked if it went for Trump again this year which it barely did in 2016. 

*edited to say that I'm responding to Voldemort's post directly above mine.

texas.jpggoldsberry-texas-1.png500px-TX1984.svg.png

Edited by Bojack
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Beaumont is far from a reliable Republican stronghold.  Jefferson county went blue in 2018, 2012, and 2008 to name a few.  It was also one of only 2 counties that went for Gore in 2000 iirc but I couldn't find a map of that.  The last map is of the 84 Reagan landslide back when Jack Brooks was our long time congressman and Jefferson was blue as fuck because of its coalition of black and union voters.  No shortage of crazy MAGA racists over there but I'd be shocked if it went for Trump again this year which it barely did in 2016. 

*edited to say that I'm responding to Voldemort's post directly above mine.

texas.jpggoldsberry-texas-1.png500px-TX1984.svg.png

My bad. You caught me.

i just stupidly assumed all of east Texas was deep red / racist.

my apologies to anyone who posts here from east Texas btw.

Saw in your last map that Booger County (Robertson Cty) was still blue in 1984. That county and its history is both fascinating and appalling.

I used to read this guy's (Ty Clevenger) blog: http://lawflog.com/

I found his blog by accident after I had read an article about an attorney accused of abusing a wealthy widow's estate. It led me to two websites (not sure if they still exist) called Booger County Mafia and Dirty Rotten Judges. He's not in Texas anymore, and seems to be all up in the whole Seth Rich stuff so I don't peruse it anymore.

I tell you one thing, the legal profession sure has some characters. No wonder a lot of them are politicians.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Added real county name for those who don't know the history

Fucking hilarious.  This is what you get when the bulk of your delegates are trying to log in from a Jitterbug phone with a protective confederate flag case.  Shit, I'm betting the number trying to call in from a rotary dial phone is greater than one.

Party of the future!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Fucking hilarious.  This is what you get when the bulk of your delegates are trying to log in from a Jitterbug phone with a protective confederate flag case.  Shit, I'm betting the number trying to call in from a rotary dial phone is greater than one.

Party of the future!

0d7236abad0998d23a03b2c9a84ae8e6.jpg

Uhm, apparently they still want an in person convention and are trying to get a TRO against Houston to hold it there.

"Federal Judge Lynn Hughes has granted our Motion for Reconsideration in our petition for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against Mayor Turner for banning a live Republican State Convention in Houston.

After problems developed trying to host a digital convention, the Republican Party of Texas (RPT) Chairman James Dickey decided it was in the best interest of the RPT to joint our petition for this TRO against Turner. We are grateful to Chairman Dickey for his decision that both he and the RPT would join us a plaintiffs."

Hearing was at 2pm today, no word yet that I've seen.

spacer.png

Steven Hotze might be the dumbest motherfucker around, and that's saying a lot in a state with Danny Goeb as Governor Lite.

Edited by relapse98

Holeeee shit, you were not kidding about the party of the future.

We have to sue to hold our convention in public in the middle of a city battling a pandemic. Because in the second most populated state, a state with a glittering tech industry, we are determined to hold the line on our heritage, our way of life, our lack of intelligence. Talk about stubborn to the point of stupidity. Grab some of your Charlie Kirk wannabes you addle-pated fools and have them young uns fix it for you. At least that way the citizens of Houston don't have to suffer thanks to your ineptness.

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hughes is a fucking shitbag. 

Didn't say Hughes was a great person.  I said Hughes doesn't fuck around.  A motion for rehearing on a pretty clear question of law that the SCOTX already nailed down in a per curiam opinion is not likely to go well.  What's the new basis that everyone missed?  And where's the authority for "the 1st Amendment totally trumps the police power of the state, so you can assemble no matter WHAT the danger?"  There's fucking clear and OLD law on that exact point, under directly analogous circumstances, and it ain't in the GOP's favor.

Found an article from the other day.

Judge agrees Houston mayor’s action was unconstitutional but denies restraining order based on technicality

I'd love an explanation of the 1st amendment issue - the contract gave Houston an out in case of a pandemic. Bro, we gots a pandemic.
I guess maybe today's rehearing is because Dickey and the Texas GOP joined the lawsuit after the SCOTX told them no on theirs? I just don't see how anything changes and this one doesn't get denied as well.

None of this: 

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Didn't say Hughes was a great person.  I said Hughes doesn't fuck around.  A motion for rehearing on a pretty clear question of law that the SCOTX already nailed down in a per curiam opinion is not likely to go well.  What's the new basis that everyone missed?  And where's the authority for "the 1st Amendment totally trumps the police power of the state, so you can assemble no matter WHAT the danger?"  There's fucking clear and OLD law on that exact point, under directly analogous circumstances, and it ain't in the GOP's favor.

Is contained in this: 

11 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Found an article from the other day.

Judge agrees Houston mayor’s action was unconstitutional but denies restraining order based on technicality

I'd love an explanation of the 1st amendment issue - the contract gave Houston an out in case of a pandemic. Bro, we gots a pandemic.
I guess maybe today's rehearing is because Dickey and the Texas GOP joined the lawsuit after the SCOTX told them no on theirs? I just don't see how anything changes and this one doesn't get denied as well.

Because, shitbag. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

None of this: 

Is contained in this: 

Because, shitbag. 

Yep, my bad -- I'd forgotten the contractual provision basis for the ruling.  I was thinking of the ruling allowing Abbott's orders to stand.

But now that those same parties whose absence was the supposed defect in federal court have already litigated and been denied relief on the exact question they've teed up.....how does Hughes trump that?  They had their day in Court.  They chose the SCOTX.  They litigated the question and lost.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They had their day in Court.  They chose the SCOTX.  They litigated the question and lost.

sounds to me like hotze is money whipping his lawyers and maybe RPT - "but the judge said if the RPT was in the court then he'd consider the constitutional issues, get RPT in the courtroom!"  i can't imagine having that asshole for a client.  i bet he's in your office writing letters on his laptop and demanding that you send them. 

Edited by elfenix

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

sounds to me like hotze is money whipping his lawyers and maybe RPT - "but the judge said if the RPT was in the court then he'd consider the constitutional issues, get RPT in the courtroom!"  i can't imagine having that asshole for a client.  i bet he's in your office writing letters on his laptop and demanding that you send them. 

We're talking about the guy that called the governor requesting that the "  National Guard "shoot to kill" rioters  "

So yeah, that would be a horrible client.

• Like 1

For visibility, a reminder of why Allen West had to retire from the military.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/27/world/struggle-for-iraq-interrogations-colonel-risked-his-career-menacing-detainee.html

“Intent on foiling a reported plot to ambush him and his men, Colonel West, a battalion commander, made a calculated decision to intimidate the Iraqi officer with a show of force. An interrogation under way was going nowhere, Colonel West said in an interview, and he chose to take the matter into his own hands.

''This could get ugly,'' he told his soldiers. But, he said, he imposed limits: ''This man will not be injured and he will not have to be repaired. There will be no blood and no breakage of bones.''

Still, Colonel West wanted the Iraqi policeman, Yehiya Kadoori Hamoodi, to think ''this was going to be the end'' if he did not divulge what he knew. So Colonel West presided over what he considered a time-sensitive interrogation that grew steadily more abusive until he himself fired a pistol beside Mr. Hamoodi's head.

A strait-laced, by-the-book senior officer, Colonel West deliberately disregarded Army rules and regulations, gambling -- and eventually losing -- a successful 22-year military career that seemed destined for further advancement.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I asked my spouse if he could examine that position he was considering in Vancouver (BC, not Wash) the other day. The cost of living was making him pale, but it's becoming more appealing.

I would already be there if I had something lined up. Mental cost of living in the US is far more than fiscal cost of living in Vancouver. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There's no way the Texas GOP actually wants to hold this in person.
I'd fucking call their bluff.

And - they seriously did not have a plan B that was an online convention, like the Democrats did at the beginning of June? Like they see worldwide pandemic and just steam roll ahead with in person convention and don't even make a backup plan? I underestimate how dumb they are.

Edited by relapse98

34 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’m so close to just moving to Memphis after I get my shit taken care of. Good BBQ and chicken, close to hiking and lakes, good BBQ and chicken, cheap housing and blues music.

the judges are just sticking their wet thumbs in the air.

WHAT THE FUCK?  The court just mandated that a party perform a contract -- CREATING ACTUAL FUCKING DANGER -- in spite of clear contractual language allowing the city to cancel for just that fucking reason:

Section 12 of the Terms and Conditions portion of the License Agreement provides, in pertinent part, that either party may terminate the agreement or suspend its obligations due to Force Majeure to the extent that such occurrence is beyond the reasonable control of the party whose performance is affected. In the same section, the term “Force Majeure” is defined to include “epidemics in the City of Houston”, as well as emergency governmental declarations and other occurrences of like nature; the Second Amendment to the License Agreement clarified that the term includes “pandemics affecting Houston or preventing use and occupancy of the [George R. Brown Convention Center]; and orders materially and substantially restricting the size of gatherings at the facility”.

So, the court is obligating a party to perform under a contract when the contract terms expressly say it doesn't have to. I mean, it's not even remotely ambiguous.  And in weighing the harm.....the court went with "you won't let me have my rah-rah party" over "preventing people from catching and succumbing to a deadly disease."

The fucking partisanship in this country is so goddamned out of control, we're literally killing ourselves in sacrifice on that altar.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

There's no way the Texas GOP actually wants to hold this in person.
I'd fucking call their bluff.

And - they seriously did not have a plan B that was an online convention, like the Democrats did at the beginning of June? Like they see worldwide pandemic and just steam roll ahead with in person convention and don't even make a backup plan? I underestimate how dumb they are.

After all the hoax circus and performing the side show act for Trump, it's a little more like Pride & Pandemic.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins