Robert E. Lee HS in Tyler TX up for a Name Change Vote

dcbc

50 minutes ago, bolverk said:

There's a petition circulating in Midland about their own Robert E Lee HS changing its name too. 

Roy Benavidez only has a couple of elementary schools named after him.  It's time we started naming some high schools after him.  

He did more for Texas than Marse Robert ever did, and was an actual Texan.

Shit, for those idiots who consider Lee to have still been an American general (and hero), when judged by the percentage of his men killed or disabled, he leads all generals.  That's not a good thing in a leader.

• Like 2

I live west of Austin and haven’t had to pay attention to the AISD in years. Is the Travis H.S. “Rebels” still a thing? If so...how is that gliding under the radar. I assume they’re definitely no longer running the Confederate Flag around the track circling the football field at halftime.

12 hours ago, bolverk said:

Tommy Lee Jones HS would be cool and a nice compromise. He went to school there.

I think they are not naming either school after a person from what I've gathered.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

I think they are not naming either school after a person from what I've gathered.

I was talking about the Midland Lee situation where Tommy Lee Jones went to high school. I will add, though, that I'm happy to hear about the name change in Tyler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

So they're going with The School for Kids Who Can't Read Good?

Possibly.  There will be an an asterisk that denotes "Accept for my kids."

Also, I think the preferred nomenclature is "School for Kids What Can't Read Good."

Edited by dcbc

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I was talking about the Midland Lee situation where Tommy Lee Jones went to high school. I will add, though, that I'm happy to hear about the name change in Tyler.

Yeah, I thought that sounded like something I hadn't heard.  We could go with Arthur Wilson HS.  Mascot: the Dooley.  If they do name it after someone, I'm hoping John Tyler gets renamed after my avatar.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

In related news:

HAYS COUNTY, Texas (KXAN) — A 20-year debate over the Confederacy came to an end Thursday. The Hays Consolidated Independent School District Board of Trustees voted unanimously to retire the Hays High School Rebel mascot.

It’s part of the district’s efforts to cut ties with connections to the Confederacy, and it comes on the heels of larger changes nationwide. In Mississippi, state leaders voted to remove the Confederate battle emblem from its state flag, and this week, the NFL announced the Washington team would retire the use of its nickname ‘Redskins‘ and logo.

With Hays CISD Board’s approval, it could take all of the fall semester to come up with a new mascot. At present, Hays CISD leaders said the focus is on back to school safety plans amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The school will begin to phase out the Rebel through the removal of images on the school’s website and around the school building.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/hays/hays-cisd-board-could-vote-to-retire-rebel-mascot-thursday/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Color me surprised that the East Texans did this.  It's a good start.

It's taken a long time.  There was a hard push two years ago.  That would have been the time to do it since they just built two new HS buildings.  My wife's last request to the board back then when they couldn't get a second to hold the vote was to please not cast the name in stone.  They did it anyway.  I'm quick to remind people of this when they start talking about the cost to change the name. 

I've been here for about 20 years.  And as much as Tyler has grown in that time, it still has some maddening "small town tendencies."  I agree that it's a good start.  But we have a long way to go.  All that said, it's been a nice place to live and raise a family. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

I live west of Austin and haven’t had to pay attention to the AISD in years. Is the Travis H.S. “Rebels” still a thing? If so...how is that gliding under the radar. I assume they’re definitely no longer running the Confederate Flag around the track circling the football field at halftime.

i'm a graduate of Wm B Travis. They removed the confederate flag a long time ago, and i believe they did away with the Rebel logo. They still maintain the "Rebels" name and the school song, but that needs to change.

i got into a huge online argument with some Latino alumni who were arguing that they should be able to keep Rebels and all that stuff. Imagine that, Latinos arguing for keeping confederate symbols. Fucking idiots.

My daughter's elementary school was named Lee until we changed it a few years ago. Glad we got it out of the way then. And for anyone who still pretends these things were about "honoring history" the school was built and named Lee in 1918  when a convention of confederate veterans were in town, which happened to coincide with multiple klan rallys, all while Black people were prospering in Greenwood two miles north. They burned Greenwood down 3 years later. It was named to assert white superiority over the thriving black citizens. There is no way around that key fact.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

All that said, it's been a nice place to live and raise a family. 

I've always thought that if it weren't for the fucked up politics and culture the Tyler/Longview area would be one of the better places in Texas to live if I every had to leave Austin.

36 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've always thought that if it weren't for the fucked up politics and culture the Tyler/Longview area would be one of the better places in Texas to live if I every had to leave Austin.

1.5 hours to Dallas.  1.5 hours to Shreveport.  15--20 minutes from several nice lakes.  UT Health.  Christus.  MD Anderson branch.  Lowish real estate prices.  Criminally low property taxes.  Large enough population to have some good chains.  Stanley's BBQ.  Hills.  Trees.  No real traffic compared to metro areas.  Yeah, the politics are fucked up here in my view.  But you find your group of friends.  Not everyone here is on board with that extreme side of the aisle (no c/r intended).  But some certainly are.  When I moved here from Houston, I thought I'd be here for three years tops and, then, make my way to Austin.  Here I am, 20 years later.  And if I ever move, it will be to Colorado or thereabouts.  No interest in relocating back to the metro areas. 

/last night on the video feed, some FB handle purporting to be City of Longview was calling Tyler out, saying people should move there, touting better school names, McConaughhey, and drive thru liquor sales.  Longview always has seemed to have a chill factor about it, but it's smaller and the crime rate seems to flow more than it ebbs. 

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Just do what San Antonio Lee HS did: change it to " Legacy of Educational Excellence High School *wink* "

That was an interesting compromise. Just type Lee in all caps, LEE, problem solved. Actually, Lee was in the process of changing for a long time, they banned all the Confederate stuff back in 1991 but decades later students were still wearing unofficial school swag with the Stars and Bars. 1991 to 2017 is a pretty long ass transition period.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

How about the Tyler "Our Hot Chicks go on to be Rangerettes?"

As someone married to a former Rangerette and a guy that worked in Tyler for 2 years, this hits home. 

I am so happy This passed unanimously. I should go check out that Smoaky high school forum to see how the local idiots are handing this news.

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

But what about the town?

Sure.  Why not?  I'm not particularly attached to the name.  I'd be in favor of changing the name of the town to OU Sucks.

But this thread was about the schools.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

As someone married to a former Rangerette and a guy that worked in Tyler for 2 years, this hits home. 

I am so happy This passed unanimously. I should go check out that Smoaky high school forum to see how the local idiots are handing this news.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

That was an interesting compromise. Just type Lee in all caps, LEE, problem solved. Actually, Lee was in the process of changing for a long time, they banned all the Confederate stuff back in 1991 but decades later students were still wearing unofficial school swag with the Stars and Bars. 1991 to 2017 is a pretty long ass transition period.

Not cool to make fun of people who were held back for so many years.  Be proud that they eventually graduated!