Robert E. Lee HS in Tyler TX up for a Name Change Vote

dcbc

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 7:56 AM, atomheartbevo said:

L.E.E.?   Is the new mascot going to be the “insurgents”?

The citizen's committee recommendation was rejected from Legacy of Equality and Excellence (L.E.E.) to simply Legacy tonight. Henceforth, Midland Lee will (I guess) be called Midland Legacy.

MIDLAND, Texas (KOSA) - UPDATE: Midland ISD’s school board has voted to rename Robert E. Lee High School to Legacy High School.

The motion passed with a 5-2 vote.

The school’s colors will remain maroon and white and the mascot will continue to be a rebel, though its depiction will change from the current mascot.

On 7/19/2020 at 1:22 PM, HRSchenker said:

The only thing I don't like about the area is how those people drive. Left lane chilling, turn lane accelerating, and impatient in bad weather. Other than that I really enjoy the area. I have a cousin who is a state detective and he's always said his favorite place to live was Tyler.

Add to that probably the worst city planning and traffic management possible. They put almost all of their new development on a single road with few alternative routes and made it a divided road too narrow for most trucks to pull a U-turn in. Then they timed the stoplights so that you hit every single one of them even during periods of low traffic. Oh, and the left turn lanes were designed to barely accommodate the traffic they had before they developed that stretch of road, so the left lane piles up at certain intersections almost every cycle.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Add to that probably the worst city planning and traffic management possible. They put almost all of their new development on a single road with few alternative routes and made it a divided road too narrow for most trucks to pull a U-turn in. Then they timed the stoplights so that you hit every single one of them even during periods of low traffic. Oh, and the left turn lanes were designed to barely accommodate the traffic they had before they developed that stretch of road, so the left lane piles up at certain intersections almost every cycle.

Yeah, the traffic planning is pretty bad.  But still, I can get from the south side of town to the downtown area in around 15 minutes at peak traffic.  There are plenty of side street routes to avoid Broadway, OJH, 323, and whatever other major road is sucking on a particular day.  95% of the drivers are utter morons though.   

• 6 months later...
15 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

How is it not Earl Campbell High School already?

Earl Campbell went to John Tyler, not Robert E. Lee. I believe they renamed JT to Tyler High School and I know they renamed REL to Tyler Legacy.

My mom graduated from REL when they were still the Rebels. I think they changed the mascot in the 80s if I’m not mistaken.

On 5/15/2021 at 5:08 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Earl Campbell went to John Tyler, not Robert E. Lee. I believe they renamed JT to Tyler High School and I know they renamed REL to Tyler Legacy.

My mom graduated from REL when they were still the Rebels. I think they changed the mascot in the 80s if I’m not mistaken.

When they were doing the renaming, they specifically said that neither school would be named after public figures, even thought Tyler High School technically still is.  Legacy's mascot was changed to Red Raider years ago. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1