Hill Country Home Builders

Any recommendations or stay aways?   Looking to build along TX 46 from Boerne -Bulverde- New Braunfels up to Blanco-Canyon Lake- Wimberley.     Probably on one acre or so in one of the subdivisions in one of these areas which has community amenities . We’ve seen some model homes and of course they look good, but  I don’t want to deal with idiots who don’t listen or don’t back up their stuff.  

Sending you a PM... While I'm not a GC, I can refer 2 (one of them used to post on Shag but he's been too busy to get all Surlied up).

One thing I'm good for in this regard is to let you know what kind of bullshit the architect has in store for you when the roof layout was designed.

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Sending you a PM... While I'm not a GC, I can refer 2 (one of them used to post on Shag but he's been too busy to get all Surlied up).

One thing I'm good for in this regard is to let you know what kind of bullshit the architect has in store for you when the roof layout was designed.

I live on the coast right now and one thing I've noticed up there  vs down here is the  trend for higher end construction (400K +)  seems to be metal roofing.   Is that part of the bullshit?    

6 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

User name does not check out

LOL    I'll change it to Guadalupe River Rat once I get moved....   Or Blanco River Rat..... Or Comal River Rat.....    I currently live close to the Nueces in NW Corpus and in fact a few blocks from my home.   

Technically  I could keep it we moved up the Camp Wood area of the Hill Country which absolutely amazing, but doesn't have a a Target or HEB plus close by which is a requirement for my better half.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat

13 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Any recommendations or stay aways?   Looking to build along TX 46 from Boerne -Bulverde- New Braunfels up to Blanco-Canyon Lake- Wimberley.     Probably on one acre or so in one of the subdivisions in one of these areas which has community amenities . We’ve seen some model homes and of course they look good, but  I don’t want to deal with idiots who don’t listen or don’t back up their stuff.  

Weekley is really good. I am biased because I know them and have them as a client but they will do semi custom using their architect and you don’t have to deal with custom builder bullshit, which can be tremendous.  

I have about had my fill of high end custom builders.  My experience has been that they’re bigger pre-madonnas than their clients.

Weekley is really good. I am biased because I know them and have them as a client but they will do semi custom using their architect and you don’t have to deal with custom builder bullshit, which can be tremendous.  

I have about had my fill of high end custom builders.  My experience has been that they’re bigger pre-madonnas than their clients.

Don’t even get me started....Weekley blows donkey balls on semi custom work.

Sure there are lots of crappy “custom builders” but let’s separate the men from the boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Why would you not want a metal roof? School me please..  

I’d let ROFL Box speak for the pro and cons from a building standpoint.  As for insurance purposes, the carriers love them for the simple fact they withstand the elements which in Texas is the heat for a significant chunk if the year.  Plus they are durable when it comes to windstorm.   The cost is big up front, but after 15 years or so, you are not having to re roof.   This is also the cutoff line many insurers place on a replacement cost for a roof, especially if you are close to the coast.  After that you are a cash value.  Some will go to 20 if you have architectural shingles, but many just go to 15. 

I don't have the time to monkey around with this post, however the policy / ACV, etc. is dependent upon what you are willing to pay for coverage & not so much on what the carrier wants to exclusively write.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I’d let ROFL Box speak for the pro and cons from a building standpoint.  As for insurance purposes, the carriers love them for the simple fact they withstand the elements which in Texas is the heat for a significant chunk if the year.  Plus they are durable when it comes to windstorm.   The cost is big up front, but after 15 years or so, you are not having to re roof.   This is also the cutoff line many insurers place on a replacement cost for a roof, especially if you are close to the coast.  After that you are a cash value.  Some will go to 20 if you have architectural shingles, but many just go to 15. 

ICs love metal roofs IF you sign the cosmetic damage waiver. They will promise you "lower insurance premiums" which may equal about $20 / year.  Then, when a hail storm hits your metal roof and dents it up you will want a new roof but the IC will say "cosmetic damage" is not a covered peril and the roof is not leaking so you,  Mr. Policy Holder, can pound sand and now you're  stuck with a dented roof unless you want to pay for a new one on your own dime(s).

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

ICs love metal roofs IF you sign the cosmetic damage waiver. They will promise you "lower insurance premiums" which may equal about $20 / year.  Then, when a hail storm hits your metal roof and dents it up you will want a new roof but the IC will say "cosmetic damage" is not a covered peril and the roof is not leaking so you,  Mr. Policy Holder, can pound sand and now you're  stuck with a dented roof unless you want to pay for a new one on your own dime(s).

Get a good Public Adjuster who has experience in this argument & you'll win every time.

Cracks in the clearcoat of a Galvalume (or painted... Kynar or STMP) roof = well more than simply "cosmetic".

Hail is more problematic. I was thinking more along the lines of wind damage. How big does hail have to be to do serious damage to metal roof vs a traditional asphalt shingle?

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Hail is more problematic. I was thinking more along the lines of wind damage. How big does hail have to be to do serious damage to metal roof vs a traditional asphalt shingle?

Quarter sized hail can cause enough of a problem if it's in sufficient enough volume & / or has a good wind driving it.

You might come across a crew that is only after speed to install & might run the screws too wide (thinking a Snap Lock or Standing Seam because you can't see the fasteners) & if they do run a 4' or wider span, it can cause issues for uplift (no matter what slope or side of the house).

I litigate against shitty home builders.  Some of the most expensive builders in the area you are looking at are some of the worst.  

While the builder you choose is important, its probably not for the reason you think.  Most use the same subs.  Subs chosen are very important.   Quality inspections are VERY important.  Choosing a builder that will fix mistakes - priceless.

If you PM me, I am happy to advise you on those I have dealt with on numerous occasions. 

• Hook 'Em 1