Costa Rica

HornPhD

Yeah that’s a nonstory as far as tourists are concerned.

In other news we had a poor tournament. Day 1 we went the wrong direction and finished in 25th out of 50. Day 2 was a lot better but we had some bad luck, losing a blue marlin at the boat that would have put us into 3rd on the day. Instead we tied for 10th. Leaving in a few hours to go up to Los Suenos. We will be practice fishing tomorrow and Wednesday and then fishing the tournament  Thursday-Saturday.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 12:46 PM, justhookit said:

All of that said, if anyone does get a car, get the gps. Also Waze works pretty good there too if you’ve got service. Other than highways there are no street names and no numbering systems so directions can get a little tricky.

”take a right at the church go 10 miles to the bridge and then take a left. Take a right when you see the cows and then you’ll see the hotel”

We went to Tamarindo about five years ago. Rented a car and drove in at night. All the directions were like that. It was a fucking miracle we even made it to Tamarindo, but once we got there I couldn't find the hotel for the life of me. Finally, we ended up asking some hooker how to get there and she directed us down this rocky-ass dirt road that almost destroyed our rental car but dammit if the hotel wasn't right where she said it was.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:01 AM, Txzen said:

Terrible indeed, but he wasn’t a random tourist. One of the ‘three most important sports book owners in Costa Rica”. 

Story

Yeah, Tony owned 5Dimes and had TONS of people who hated him. Far from a normal American in CR. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bump..

Bank to CR in late April.  In and out of SJO..I want to get back down to MA but also something different.  Currently I fly in on Thursday April 25 at like 8pm and back on Tuesday at like 130p which means I don't have to stay in SJO on Monday night.    I am thinking of going a day early and doing a day trip to Arenal and back. staying another night in SJO and then head down to the water.  Or should I try to stay a night near Arenal and then traspo down to MA.  Looks like quite a haul aka 5 hours.  Any other excursions or deviations I should take?  Waterfalls, hiking, rafting etc?

35 minutes ago, midtown said:

Bump..

Bank to CR in late April.  In and out of SJO..I want to get back down to MA but also something different.  Currently I fly in on Thursday April 25 at like 8pm and back on Tuesday at like 130p which means I don't have to stay in SJO on Monday night.    I am thinking of going a day early and doing a day trip to Arenal and back. staying another night in SJO and then head down to the water.  Or should I try to stay a night near Arenal and then traspo down to MA.  Looks like quite a haul aka 5 hours.  Any other excursions or deviations I should take?  Waterfalls, hiking, rafting etc?

Paddle 9 waterfall tour (the full day one) was great.

https://www.paddle9sup.com/waterfalltours

And go offshore fishing. 

On 1/14/2019 at 11:17 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Finally, we ended up asking some hooker how to get there and she directed us down this rocky-ass dirt road that almost destroyed our rental car but dammit if the hotel wasn't right where she said it was.

CR in a nutshell. The hooker by the side of the road at night is probably more trustworthy than your kid's pediatrician.

• Like 1

Also you can look into the puddle jumpers. Sansa Airline I am pretty sure doesn’t do Arenal/LaFortuna - San Jose - Quepos/Manuel Antonio anymore. Nature Air did until they crashed twice recently. They are currently banned from flying but I am hearing they are back in the air soon. YMMV

Or just go rafting again.

seriously though I’ve flown Sansa a bunch and have no hesitation getting on their planes. I’ve had multiple nature air flights too but that’s been 7 or 8 years ago

11 hours ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Looks like I am traveling with the wife and kids (11,12) to Los Sueños in July.  It’s been 15 years since my last trip to CR.  

Marriott or condo/house?

my only can’t miss up there is Wishbones in Jaco for tuna. Sashimi or spicy tuna bowl you can’t go wrong.

Been to Belize a couple times, but I've never been to CR. Have a friend I consider smarter than the average bear (defense atty/former DA) that goes there every year and swears that's where he's retiring after the kids are all out of school.

Edited by RPM

Going to go out on a limb and say you've never been to CR. 

It is nothing like Mexico. 

I have gone to CR and fell in love with the country. The posters here were great in helping me chart an itinerary. Crime is a problem in many Central or South American countries where I travel, like Brazil. It was simply a comment about hoping that issue doesn’t start happening in one of my favorite places on the planet. I’m going to go out on a limb and say I’ve traveled to more countries around the world and have more experience internationally than you have years on this planet. Want to talk about Russia, Indonesia, Kenya, Bangladesh next?

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I have gone to CR and fell in love with the country. The posters here were great in helping me chart an itinerary. Crime is a problem in many Central or South American countries where I travel, like Brazil. It was simply a comment about hoping that issue doesn’t start happening in one of my favorite places on the planet. I’m going to go out on a limb and say I’ve traveled to more countries around the world and have more experience internationally than you have years on this planet. Want to talk about Russia, Indonesia, Kenya, Bangladesh next?

I, too, hope it doesn't start happening in CR but they are totally different countries for myriad reasons. 

Fortunately I don't see any economic or political incentive for a cartel to set up shop in CR while many of its neighbors are much more destabilized and forgiving of crime and drugs. 

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Fortunately I don't see any economic or political incentive for a cartel to set up shop in CR while many of its neighbors are much more destabilized and forgiving of crime and drugs.

A few of the ticos I talked to said the Caribbean side is having some trafficking issues.  Puerto Viejo etc

9 minutes ago, midtown said:

A few of the ticos I talked to said the Caribbean side is having some trafficking issues.  Puerto Viejo etc

That's a shame. 

Looks like they are at least combatting it

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ticotimes.net/2018/05/24/costa-rica-dismantles-international-drug-trafficking-ring/amp

I would think much of the solution lies with the region itself stabilizing. 

As long as there are drugs moving north there will always be shipments passing through here. And it’s been happening on both the Pacific and Caribbean coasts as long as I’ve been coming here (15 years) and who knows how long before that. Puerto Viejo and Limon are considered a little more dangerous than the Pacific but as long as you don’t go looking for trouble there aren’t problems, just like pretty much anywhere else in the world. In fact if I had to guess more drugs come up the Pacific side.

Down in Golfito where I used to fish a lot the old joke was did anyone catch a “square grouper”. Planes would drop the drugs and the boats would go pick them up. You did NOT want to pick up the packages if you weren’t the intended recipient. At least one of the local commercial fisherman that I know of tried selling what he found. Bought a new car, etc. It did not end well for him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

Marriott or condo/house?

my only can’t miss up there is Wishbones in Jaco for tuna. Sashimi or spicy tuna bowl you can’t go wrong.

Marriott - Kids want a nice pool for swimming. 

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

Marriott or condo/house?

Marriott - kids want a nice pool to swim

18 hours ago, justhookit said:

Also you can look into the puddle jumpers. Sansa Airline I am pretty sure doesn’t do Arenal/LaFortuna - San Jose - Quepos/Manuel Antonio anymore. Nature Air did until they crashed twice recently. They are currently banned from flying but I am hearing they are back in the air soon. YMMV

Or just go rafting again.

seriously though I’ve flown Sansa a bunch and have no hesitation getting on their planes. I’ve had multiple nature air flights too but that’s been 7 or 8 years ago

I flew Nature Air in 2015 from San Jose to Quepos and back.  It was certainly an experience.  I knew they crashed recently where there were fatalities, but it happened again?  Makes me feel lucky.

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I flew Nature Air in 2015 from San Jose to Quepos and back.  It was certainly an experience.  I knew they crashed recently where there were fatalities, but it happened again?  Makes me feel lucky.

Yes, 2 crashes in less than 6 months in 2017. One killed everyone and the other had 2 or 3 fatalities. It sounds like the company is basically bankrupt and had over half their fleet repossessed/crashed.

If they do manage to resume flying, no way I would get on their planes.

Direct flights from the U.S. to Quepos/Manuel Antonio? Hell yes.
Just found out last night that an airline signed a contract that will start as soon as the runway is lengthened. It sounds like it’s from about 5 cities and Houston and Austin are on the list.
That would be amazing. What airline?

Brazilian. Or at least the group is a Brazilian investor group. That part was a little unclear.

between that and finally breaking ground on the marina hotel by the end of the year, things are going to change a lot here. It should be mostly for the good, but a part of me doesn’t want to see the Quepos marina get more crowded. 

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, justhookit said:

things are going to change a lot here. It should be mostly for the good, but a part of me doesn’t want to see the Quepos marina get more crowded. 

Anytime you make it easier for the Cancun, Cabo, Vegas, Disneyworld crowd to get somewhere the worst it will get and it will become another Tamagringo.  Boo this

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2

Yeah like I said I’m a little torn. The marina desperately needs a hotel though and for fishing people like me the direct flights are a godsend. It’s going to be so much easier to get parts and equipment down from the states. There won’t be enough flight capacity to change much in the town itself. I’ll panic the minute I see a Hard Rock Cafe.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:36 AM, justhookit said:

Direct flights from the U.S. to Quepos/Manuel Antonio? Hell yes.

Just found out last night that an airline signed a contract that will start as soon as the runway is lengthened. It sounds like it’s from about 5 cities and Houston and Austin are on the list.

Well that's fucking rad.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, Chicken fried bacon said:

Looks like I am traveling with the wife and kids (11,12) to Los Sueños in July.  It’s been 15 years since my last trip to CR.  

I know July is basically peak rainy season down there but I am really interested in CR for a getaway around the 4th. Have you or anyone else on here ever been in July before? Is the rain a big issue or is it just typical afternoon shower type thing?

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I know July is basically peak rainy season down there but I am really interested in CR for a getaway around the 4th. Have you or anyone else on here ever been in July before? Is the rain a big issue or is it just typical afternoon shower type thing?

They typically have a short dry season for a few weeks during July (central and southern Pacific coasts). It lasts probably 2-4 weeks and is not a guarantee. If you are going to those areas that time of year it’s the best time to go. Or you can go north from Papagayo on down to Tamarindo which should be less rainy.

Ive been here in Quepos during the rainy season many, many times and never had a problem but that time of year I’m almost always out fishing so don’t really care if it rains. And I don’t spend a lot of time on land. The surrounding areas are rainforests for a reason. It can rain a lot, enough to wash out the roads at times. This area averages about 150 inches per year with almost all of it falling mid May to the end of November. I’ve been down a little over a month this trip and have not seen a single drop of rain.  I’m just lucky? and have not been here when that happens.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it here or on our old shaggy thread, but Uber is working here in Quepos/Manuel Antonio now, especially during the day. I’m probably at about a 75% successs rate requesting a ride. It’s been anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 the price of cabs. I took one from Quepos to Jaco for 38 dollars.

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

We have friends that have gone the last two years in July and they said there was a little rain at night but nothing that interfered with any activities or beach time. 

Was able to get away in mid March 16-23rd. Booked a flight to Costa Rica. Have never been and looking forward to it. Tulemar is booked up so looking for other recommendations on good places to stay. Traveling with Mrs. Tailgate and two teenaged girls.

Appreciate any thoughts. Did see a place called Riu which is all inclusive but always unsure about that as I like traveling around and trying different local spots.