Costa Rica

HornPhD

On 1/15/2020 at 4:20 PM, 4HE said:

I just booked a house near the beach in Dominical. We usually stay at the Bali House in Manuel Antonio, but decided to branch out a little after our waterfall tour with Paddle 9 last time down there. They introduced us to playa Ventana—might be my most favorite place on the planet now. 

I figure that dominical is close enough to Quepos to do fishing, but also close to playa Ventana and Nauyaca waterfalls.  Those that know the area, am I calculating that correctly? 

Dominical is almost exactly halfway between Quepos and Ventana. 30-40 minute drives. Haven’t spent too much time there but I really like Fuego Brewing Company. Solid beers and food. https://www.fuegobrew.com

Dominical is almost exactly halfway between Quepos and Ventana. 30-40 minute drives. Haven’t spent too much time there but I really like Fuego Brewing Company. Solid beers and food. https://www.fuegobrew.com

Fuego is good I agree. We were there last year and they now have a paved main road. My ex and I went ten years ago too and that’s about the only thing that has changed.

The surfer scene is pretty legit. Last time I went, we hung out on the beach for about 3-4 hours just watching them do their thing. But to the original ask - not much to do there. Everything but a few places to eat and beach watching will be a solid drive. I don’t mind the middle of no where but that’s pretty much how it will seem.

13 hours ago, troph said:

Fuego is good I agree. We were there last year and they now have a paved main road. My ex and I went ten years ago too and that’s about the only thing that has changed.

The surfer scene is pretty legit. Last time I went, we hung out on the beach for about 3-4 hours just watching them do their thing. But to the original ask - not much to do there. Everything but a few places to eat and beach watching will be a solid drive. I don’t mind the middle of no where but that’s pretty much how it will seem.

That’s perfect. I don’t plan to do much other than relax on the beach, fuck my wife, drink beer, and fish. Maybe not in that particular order, but close enough. 

I just booked a house near the beach in Dominical. We usually stay at the Bali House in Manuel Antonio, but decided to branch out a little after our waterfall tour with Paddle 9 last time down there. They introduced us to playa Ventana—might be my most favorite place on the planet now. 

I figure that dominical is close enough to Quepos to do fishing, but also close to playa Ventana and Nauyaca waterfalls.  Those that know the area, am I calculating that correctly? 
Correct. Done Domi 5 years in a row. Quepos is maybe 45 min away, Uvita is 15 minutes.
Cano island isnt too far either.
There are several smaller waterfalls in the area- nice spot too cool off mid day.

Playa Ventana gets crowded as shit on Holidays.
Check out Playa Dominicalito and bring a hammock. My favorite beach to surf when it's up or swim and chill and watch the sunset when waves are down. (Except at low tide )
Playa Hermosa (not the one up north) and some of the smaller beaches in that area are great.

Porque No? Has a great view and good food. Great for Lunch
Fuego is a great brew pub with an interesting menu- get the ceviche.
Del Mar Tacos in Dominical is awesome

34 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Correct. Done Domi 5 years in a row. Quepos is maybe 45 min away, Uvita is 15 minutes.
Cano island isnt too far either.
There are several smaller waterfalls in the area- nice spot too cool off mid day.

Playa Ventana gets crowded as shit on Holidays.
Check out Playa Dominicalito and bring a hammock. My favorite beach to surf when it's up or swim and chill and watch the sunset when waves are down. (Except at low tide )
Playa Hermosa (not the one up north) and some of the smaller beaches in that area are great.

Porque No? Has a great view and good food. Great for Lunch
Fuego is a great brew pub with an interesting menu- get the ceviche.
Del Mar Tacos in Dominical is awesome

Fantastic! Thanks for the recs. Will definitely hit all of those places. We will be in country for 10 days with 8 of them in Domi.

Fantastic! Thanks for the recs. Will definitely hit all of those places. We will be in country for 10 days with 8 of them in Domi.
Have a blast. We keep planning to go elsewhere and end up back there.

Also Phat Noodle in Dominical is great everytime as is the yoga studio. The shop next to the market closest to the beach also makes amazing fried chicken when available. Great snack for the beach at sunset with a cold Imperial.

Roca Verde is meh. Not bad but nothing great. Live music is worth it.

Parasol has great views also but the food is meh. Grab apps and a drink instead. They feed monkeys (some take issue with that)

Really enjoyed:
https://alturaswildlifesanctuary.org/
Book ahead.
The views from the restaurant there are amazing. You can see all the way to Cano island on clear days and whales sometimes also. Go there even if just for a drink.

Rancho Merced if you like to ride horses they will let you go full speed on the beach.

Costa Rica Surf Camp for any surf needs.

The whale tail was cool, we caught it at a low rising tide so you had waves coming from both sides diverging in the middle. That said I haven't bothered to go a second time.

There is also Paragliding out of Dominical. Amazing views and you land right on the beach after zooming down from the mountains.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Born to Run said:

The whale tail was cool, we caught it at a low rising tide so you had waves coming from both sides diverging in the middle. That said I haven't bothered to go a second time.

Last I heard whale tail got washed away by a storm. I’m not sure if it has reformed yet or not. It was really cool to see from the air when I used to fly a lot between San Jose and Golfito.

Y’all talking bout the whale tail at Uvita? 

GF and I stayed at the Golden Pineapple resort a couple years ago right when the owners listed it on airbnb. There was still some construction and landscaping going on, so it was kinda noisy and workers coming and going. But we got it for really cheap and had the whole place to ourselves. It’s up on a mountain side overlooking the whale tail. Needed a 4x4 to get up the road which was I paved and very steep much of the way up, but it was worth the hassle.

https://goldenpineapplevillas.com

Edited by Foggy Notion

Yes. Uvita is just down the road from Dominical.

also if anyone goes there do NOT go to the restaurant called Los Laureles. I stopped in there last year driving from Quepos to Golfito. Not knowing where to go I just picked a place based on trip advisor reviews. It was terrible. I’m pretty sure it was the only really bad meal I’ve ever had in CR.

Edited by justhookit
Restaurant info

also if anyone goes there do NOT go to the restaurant called Los Laureles. I stopped in there last year driving from Quepos to Golfito. Not knowing where to go I just picked a place based on trip advisor reviews. It was terrible. I’m pretty sure it was the only really bad meal I’ve ever had in CR.
You ever fish down in the Golfo?

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
On 1/18/2020 at 5:30 PM, justhookit said:

You ever fish down in the Golfo?

Yes many times. In fact it was the very first place I ever fished down there. We caught 77 sailfish over 3 days including 39 on the middle day. I like fishing down there but it’s 15ish miles across Golfo Dulce from the marina to the Pacific so a much longer run to fishing grounds than Quepos. There’s also next to nothing to do in Golfito other than fish. There’s a great hotel called Casa Roland, the bar/restaurants at Banana Bay and Fish Hook, and that’s it.

Yes many times. In fact it was the very first place I ever fished down there. We caught 77 sailfish over 3 days including 39 on the middle day. I like fishing down there but it’s 15ish miles across Golfo Dulce from the marina to the Pacific so a much longer run to fishing grounds than Quepos. There’s also next to nothing to do in Golfito other than fish. There’s a great hotel called Casa Roland, the bar/restaurants at Banana Bay and Fish Hook, and that’s it.
Thanks man. Yeah it's pretty quite down there; which is what I love about it. Haven't been to Golfito but have poked around the Oso all the way to Playa Carate which is really remote but gorgeous. Considering a combo surf / fish trip to that area next time we head down.

I'm used to fishing Texas with runs out over 150 miles; an extra 15 miles isn't shit unless you're spoiled

White water rafting was awesome. I was there the first time in the rainy season and holy shit did it rain at night. Like from 4pm until 4am. Anyway the rain pushed my white water back a day and only got to do a half because the other part of the river was too dangerous... Still hit a few level 4. A week later a bunch of people died on the same river. It's no joke but the guides are serious and two of ours were trying out for the CR world championship team.

20 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Closing in on 60 days, so we want to book different family excursions.  Staying at Tulemar.  Any suggestions from this list?  We're planning zip-lining, probably full day waterfall tour.  Thoughts from those of you who have been?

https://tulemar.com/activities/

Don’t get roped into doing the National Park tour. Between the animals you’ll see on property at Tulemar and their great beach the park tour is completely unnecessary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Don’t get roped into doing the National Park tour. Between the animals you’ll see on property at Tulemar and their great beach the park tour is completely unnecessary.

Are you saying the waterfall tour, don't do?  Or just the regular National park don't waste our time?  

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Thanks man. Yeah it's pretty quite down there; which is what I love about it. Haven't been to Golfito but have poked around the Oso all the way to Playa Carate which is really remote but gorgeous. Considering a combo surf / fish trip to that area next time we head down.

I'm used to fishing Texas with runs out over 150 miles; an extra 15 miles isn't shit unless you're spoiled emoji2.png

Yes, I so don’t miss that. We still do 150 mile runs down there in the summer, but catching 10+ blue marlin a day makes it so much more worth it.

Yup.. My travel partner wanted to see some sloths but I vetoed the guide.. That night our taxi driver took us to see 3 of them for a few bucks. Got to the second beach it's worth the hike. But don't leave your backpack. Monkeys will steal it by the the time you get to the water

2 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Are you saying the waterfall tour, don't do?  Or just the regular National park don't waste our time?  

Don’t waste your time on the regular National Park tour. I’ve never done the full day waterfall tour you listed but I’ve done the waterfall rappelling at a few places and it’s excellent.

2 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Closing in on 60 days, so we want to book different family excursions.  Staying at Tulemar.  Any suggestions from this list?  We're planning zip-lining, probably full day waterfall tour.  Thoughts from those of you who have been?

Sloth tour is great and it's right on the property.  Full day waterfall tour with Paddle 9 is one of my favorite things we've done there.  In addition to the waterfalls, they also take you to Playa Ventanas, which is awesome and lunch is at a tilapia farm.  So good.  www.paddle9sup.com.  

We've never actually gone into the Manuel Antonio park.  There is more wildlife on the Tulemar property.  Something like 1/3 of all the squirrel monkeys on earth are on the property as well as tons of other monkeys, sloths, toucans and parrots.  And if it rains, the Halloween crabs are a sight to see.

Ernest

Dont go crazy on booking tours. Not sure how long you will be there but your wife may want to go on a spice farm tour. My best times are sitting on the porch drinking, relaxing and drinking. 

For eating, El Avion is touristy as fuck but still serves a good rare tuna steak. Cool history also if your old enough to remember Ollie North. 

Did I mention drinking? Can’t remember. 

20 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I don't drink but Diet Dew

All kidding aside, depending on your kids age, I would do half day trips and spend rest of day on beach if they like that stuff. Then after dinner you and wife can sit outside and enjoy the weather and the quite. Took me many years but I finally realized the best trips are when planned activity is kept to a minimum.  

All kidding aside, depending on your kids age, I would do half day trips and spend rest of day on beach if they like that stuff. Then after dinner you and wife can sit outside and enjoy the weather and the quite. Took me many years but I finally realized the best trips are when planned activity is kept to a minimum.  
That's how I vacation. I don't understand those people that Clark Griswold their free time. I coukd sit in a soda in Quepos for hours just people watching.

1 hour ago, midtown said:
13 hours ago, Shaddie said:

That's how I vacation. I don't understand those people that Clark Griswold their free time. I coukd sit in a soda in Quepos for hours just people watching.

I second that motion - Whether with kids or now traveling as a couple, we almost always spend 1/2 a day with something planned or an activity / excursion and the balance of the day on a beach, in a cafe people watching, walking through town, etc.  I've found my enjoyment increases if I have some downtime to relax and reflect on what we've experienced rather than going hard all day, then straight to the shower then to eat and then to bed exhausted.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, ernest_t_bass said:

They’re mentioned several times in the thread, but I’ll say it again. The Paddle 9 tour that ends at playa Ventana was tits. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, ernest_t_bass said:

Tulemar is awesome. We had 4 kids (age 8-12 at the time). Zipline was a blast. Waterfall hike was pretty fun. We did the park tour; however, we could have done that on our own. Our guide was a huge college basketball fan, so it made the walk more enjoyable. 

Onsite, the beach is great. They have kayaks and boogie boards free to use. David, if he’s still there, runs the activity shed and is a Longhorns fan. Food and drinks are available. 

I recommend having a private chef at least one night (if you aren’t already planning for that). After being out all day, it was great to get back and not have to worry about dinner. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

Bump. Can’t have this on page 2. Hopefully nobody is down there fishing right now. It’s terrible. There’s a new restaurant in the marina serving “Mexican” food. I’m not very hopeful as that seems to be the one food that Ticos have no idea how to cook.

Weather?  Not catching?

20 minutes ago, kmac30 said:

I was down there 18-22nd fishing in Los Suenos. We landed only a few sailfish over the 3 days fishing. Few dorado, bunch of tuna.

Who did you fish with?

The 2 day tournament a few weeks ago we caught 19 sails and 3 marlin. Then the los suenos tournament over 3 days was 23 sails and 2 marlin. Both were top 4 finishes out of about 50 boats. Lots of people didn’t catch much at all so you aren’t alone. I was going to go down around now but had some things come up and then my captain called me and told me not to bother as the fishing has gotten even worse since the tournaments.

17 hours ago, kmac30 said:

We’re you there for the triple crown? We got there the last day of that and fished the following 3. Mike Alligood with Epic. He was good, mates were great.

The tuna were nice 7dfa4e761af6067540f2327d5f9d5601.jpg

Yes, Game Plan is the boat. I wasn’t on it but my longtime captain and mates were. Mike is the best charter captain in Los Suenos IMO so you were with the right guy.

16 hours ago, Paco said:

Four nights in Manuel Antonio with no air conditioning in May...bad idea?

I’ve done it a few times there and honestly it’s not that bad. I wouldn’t worry about it as long as you don’t plan to spend a lot of time indoors during the day. May is also the beginning of rainy season so it’s a little bit cooler.