Costa Rica

HornPhD

Yeah there is some kind of bird down there that starts singing 1-2 hours before sunrise. No idea what it is but we call it happy bird because his song is very upbeat and loud. Expected it to be one of the really pretty birds CR has but nope I finally saw it and it’s just an ugly little brown bird. Annoying fucker.

Is it this fucker?
PXL_20210511_164637253.jpg

Could be. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one. All I know is even ifyou are getting up to go fish at 5 he still starts singing at least an hour before that. Tico alarm clock I guess.

is Atenas on the old road to the coast? That is one interesting drive.

Could be. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen one. All I know is even ifyou are getting up to go fish at 5 he still starts singing at least an hour before that. Tico alarm clock I guess.
is Atenas on the old road to the coast? That is one interesting drive.
It's on Hwy 3.. No tolls. Hilly and curvy but really pretty drive.

I thought I was going to die on that road about 5 times. It (was) a brutal drive back in the day. We’d be in a bus passing another one going the opposite way and clip mirrors and they wouldn’t even slow down. No guardrails and you were on the edge of the cliff a lot. 15 years ago. 5 hours from the airport to Manuel Antonio. I had to drink the whole way.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:39 AM, midtown said:

Hour and a half tops. When they say they have the best climate here in Atenas it's not an exaggeration. it's legit perfect weather. Not hot. Not cold. No humidity.

I'd love to see some deets of the properties you're looking at. What's the agent tell you - that the market's thin due to increased demand from the pandemic? 

I'd love to see some deets of the properties you're looking at. What's the agent tell you - that the market's thin due to increased demand from the pandemic? 
I'm interested as well.

Heading down first week of June to surf and look at properties. Starting in Domi and ending up in Pavones

21 hours ago, Born to Run said:

I'm interested as well.

Heading down first week of June to surf and look at properties. Starting in Domi and ending up in Pavones

The Be sure and hit Fuego Brewing Company in Dominical. Love that place.

4A477512-E41B-4914-9BE4-C187AB823FC8.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

Anybody have insight on the protests or road blockades that are going on? Not terribly concerned, just wondering if our commute from San Jose to Dominical will be affected. 
None going down to MA on Tuesday. We went over to Dominical yesterday. Great spot. On the way back we had a stop half way between Quepos and Jaco. Looked in the car for a second and thumbs up.

Tacos and beer at fuego
PXL_20210514_193154252.thumb.jpg.d3ddd266104a1292acf33d2d1c91f879.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Been at Nayara Gardens, just a few miles out of Fortuna last couple of days. 

Holy hell this place is amazing. The resort itself is off the fucking charts. Best hospitality/customer service I’ve experienced anywhere in the world.  And the amenities are incredible. 

As for the Arenal region, it’s spectacular. No end to what you can do in terms of outdoor recreation. And we’ve been really fortunate weather-wise. They told us it had rained pretty much non-stop in the days before our arrival, but it’s hardly rained at all since we got here and the daytime highs have been mid 80’s. 

Been going non-stop since we arrived but tomorrow I’m just relaxing at the resort while the girlfriend and her family do a 6-hour guided tour with some hiking and swimming, La Fortuna waterfall, etc. I’m looking forward to the R&R. 

We head to Manuel Antonio Tuesday morning so still a lot time to enjoy this gem of a destination. 

And kudos to the airport in SJO. Even with the added travel insurance/QR code requirements, they got us through customs in a quick minute and we were checked into a hotel and enjoying dinner the night before heading to Arenal within an hour of landing. 

I wholeheartedly recommend the Nayara properties if you’re traveling to this area. Might seem overpriced but the facilities and service are world class. 

Yeah.  SJO has their shit together.   CR needs the colones badly.     As I mentioned earlier I brought a buddy and his son down.   Great travel partners.  They travel like I do.  Laid back.  Do a few things then hit the pool for some drinks then grab some dinner.   They enjoyed CR immensely.    
We went to Aqua Azul last night and it was OK.   I should have gotten the whole fried fish. 
Don't eat at Avion.  Maybe an app and some drinks.   
Alfredo our bar tender at the hotel recommended El Lagarto.  Its all grilled on an open pit.  kind of fun.  Not mind blowing good but if you want a break from seafood its a good spot.   
We walked back from the park to the Parador and stopped in at Buena Vista for some lunch and beers.  Their food is still outstanding.   That walk up the street from the beach is a bitch.  Straight fucking up.   
Biensanz beach was a damn bikini show on Friday.   Thongs galore.   

PXL_20210514_165952592.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh and here is a cross from the fishing thread.   What a fucking rush.   This one trip to kill us.  These still are from the video where he almost cleared it into the boat. 

110 lbs. My buddies son missed his but I blame the crew. They knew he had never done sport fishing. Should have given him a 20 min crash course. We had plenty of time for it.

My buddy landed an 80. Here is mine

IMG_20210512_214353.jpgIMG_20210512_214349.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 4:40 PM, Chopper said:

Do we want to do this here or start a CR or International RE thread?  I don't want to jam up the travel info with RE stuff that only a few care about.

3 hours ago, midtown said:

Do we want to do this here or start a CR or International RE thread?  I don't want to jam up the travel info with RE stuff that only a few care about.

I don't think it would jam up this thread but I'm no expert. I think most people who go to CR have thoughts about what it's like to buy or rent there at the very least in the back of their minds.

All of the houses I looked are in Atenas which has a very large ex-pat community.   There are of course many others.  50% of ex pats are American.  The other 50 are a mix of everything else.  A lot date I'm going post are from my realtor.  You can decide what is legit and what is realtor bullshit.  The climate cant be beat and there are plenty of stores and shops.  I assume the constant influx of ex-pat cash keeps this town going pretty strong.   Realtor said he had his best year ever.   I can buy that considering so many people are realizing they can work remotely half or all year and a lot of people getting close to retirement are realizing they can live on half of what it costs in the US.    Caveat.  I've been following their website for a good 4 months now and it doesn't look to me like these homes are flying off the shelves.  

I mentioned to him that it seems that they could just build more and more and supply wouldn't be an issue and he countered with that fact that CR is very eco-conscious and there is only so much land that can be developed.  I might believe that.  

Realize that even though some of these homes look small by square meters; all the outside is completely livable.  You could literally sleep on the deck year round if you wanted to.    A lot of homes have plunge pools vs full size pools. 

This is just a sample of different types of homes in different parts of Atenas.   Lots more on the website.

This house was about 10 mins out of town.  Amazing view.  Owner had two Harleys parked in the house.   Also has a casita which would be great as either a rental or you could let a caretaker stay there.  Would be helpful for someone who lives part time.

https://www.atenasbestclimate.com/Atenas/Alajuela/Homes/Atenas/Agent/Listing_435457293.html

This was one if Rocaverde which is a 10min bike ride into town.   This is probably a top 2 because its move in ready and new.   Also the land goes way way down to the bottom of the hill so you could add a little casita or bigger pool below the main house.  I would probably put some kind of man cave on the property maybe with a carport/storage.   Per realtor you could probably get it for $300k.

https://www.atenasbestclimate.com/Atenas/Alajuela/Homes/El_Guisaro/Agent/Listing_367927085.html

This is also a top 2 for the main reason that its in Rocaverde and its a large enough piece of land that you could add not one but two rentals.  Both plots are already flat and ready to build on.  Each even has a dirt drive that just needs paving.    Downside is it needs some TLC.  Probably 15k of fixes and updates.   Its vacant right now.

https://www.atenasbestclimate.com/Atenas/Alajuela/Homes/Atenas/Agent/Listing_277545908.html

This house was very interesting.  Its in a hood that is all Bali style homes.  Probably 8 in total.   It's gaudy as hell and way way more than I need or want right now.   The main house and master are separate bldgs.  Also a casita.  Its needs a roof so you are in for $20k off the bat and IMO another 30k to get it updated.   But the land, and space are nice and the view is unbeatable.  If you put $50k into it I bet you could turn it for $500k based on the other homes in that hood.

https://www.atenasbestclimate.com/Atenas/Alajuela/Homes/El_Guisaro/Agent/Listing_46159259.html

He showed me this one for shits and giggles since it was also in Rocaverde.  This was a beautiful home.  Newer and laid out well.   Crazy great views.

https://www.atenasbestclimate.com/Atenas/Alajuela/Homes/Atenas/Agent/Listing_249776327.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Also any tips on mountainous areas fairly near the airport plus 2 hours with tico time? I'm coming up from Pavones our last full day with a noonish flight the next day and Waze is suggesting that coast highway back through Quepos and Jaco which avoids the bulk of San Jose and gives options should the main road turn to shit. I think I've done 5 of last 6 post Xmas holidays down there plus one off season so I'm used to holiday traffic shit shows. No idea what normal traffic is, except to not trust Google maps .

Maybe Arenas and keep it simple

Cartago looks interesting

4 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Also any tips on mountainous areas fairly near the airport plus 2 hours with tico time? I'm coming up from Pavones our last full day with a noonish flight the next day and Waze is suggesting that coast highway back through Quepos and Jaco which avoids the bulk of San Jose and gives options should the main road turn to shit. I think I've done 5 of last 6 post Xmas holidays down there plus one off season so I'm used to holiday traffic shit shows. No idea what normal traffic is, except to not trust Google maps .

Maybe Arenas and keep it simple

Cartago looks interesting

There’s not much in Cartago. You won’t hit any traffic at all between Pavones and Quepos. I’ve done that drive a ton and it’s a really pretty trip.

San Isidro is supposed to be a cool,town with lots of expats and good restaurants, but I’ve never been. To get there from Pavones I think you turn at Dominical. It’s not too far from there so maybe you’ve already been. 

Villa Caletas about 20 minutes up the highway from Jaco is a beautiful hotel property that a wife or girlfriend will love. Food isn’t great so we end up eating in Los Suenos or Jaco for most meals.

Have you spent any time in Escazu? Not exactly the mountains but some great restaurants and nice hotels.

edit- looks like there are multiple San Isidros in CR. I guess it’s like Playa Hermosa of which I think there are about 5. Anyway, the one I meant is the one about halfway between Pavones and San Jose.

Edited by justhookit

On 5/16/2021 at 1:49 PM, TheAuditor said:

I think you said you're staying at Los Altos.  Post your thoughts/impressions when you get back,  just booked there for late july.  

For me, it’s fantastic. My gf is disappointed that the private beach is very rocky—it’s for relaxing and enjoying the view of the cove, not swimming. I love it. Plus, there are beautiful beaches where you can swim less than a mile away. 

The apartments are huge and if you’re on a high floor you get a nice view of the canopy and the ocean. Photo is view from our balcony on 6th floor. You also get serenaded by howler monkeys that sound like some massive exorcism taking place in the trees.  Maid service each morning plus turn down service in the evening. All of the staff are pleasant and friendly. We got our money’s worth here.  Also, you’re next door to a supermarket so you can stock up your full kitchen without needing to drive anywhere. If you didn’t rent a car as we did, Uber and taxis are very reasonably priced. 

Karolas restaurant by the pool is really good, and the included breakfast is a la carte, perfectly satisfactory. 

I’m thoroughly enjoying Manuel Antonio, but the Nayara Gardens resort near the town of Fortuna was out of this world, in both accommodations and world class customer service. 

Covid hasn’t impacted our experience in any way except some restaurants closed a little earlier, and the hassle of getting tested, which really wasn’t much hassle, just took time out of our day. They’re allowing antigen tests for return to the US now, so that saved some cash ($70 per test vs $120 to $170 for PCR). 

Biggest surprise: we have had NO rain to speak of since last Thursday when we arrived. At La Fortuna, they told us it rained 5 days nonstop prior to our arrival. We’ve been hiking, swimming, jet-skiing and animal watching the whole time with no rain interruptions. Glorious. 

22515105-5641-4B58-A1EB-336A28B11229.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

By the way, if anyone’s getting tested in Quepos/MA before heading back to SJO, we used 6 Sigma labs on Calle 3 in Quepos, 1.7 miles from Los Altos. 

We made an appointment but it’s not necessary. 4 of us were tested at 3pm on Thursday and we had the email results at 8am Fri morning. $70 per test. 

Girlfriend’s mom tested positive. No symptoms plus fully vaxxed, but she’ll be enjoying an extended stay in San Jose. Bummer. We used Trawick for the required travel insurance and the rep we spoke to was very nice and helpful. Welcome surprise. 

Hopefully by the time @TheAuditor is there they won’t require tests for vaccinated Americans to return. 

• Hook 'Em 1

By the way, if anyone’s getting tested in Quepos/MA before heading back to SJO, we used 6 Sigma labs on Calle 3 in Quepos, 1.7 miles from Los Altos. 

We made an appointment but it’s not necessary. 4 of us were tested at 3pm on Thursday and we had the email results at 8am Fri morning. $70 per test. 

Girlfriend’s mom tested positive. No symptoms plus fully vaxxed, but she’ll be enjoying an extended stay in San Jose. Bummer. We used Trawick for the required travel insurance and the rep we spoke to was very nice and helpful. Welcome surprise. 

Hopefully by the time [mention=551]TheAuditor[/mention] is there they won’t require tests for vaccinated Americans to return. 
Wow. We coughed up the $150 to have it done at the Parador.

BTW. Curious as to what the logistics are for a positive test. Is it lock down in some government hotel?

Second. What a mixed plug for vaccines. Bad she still got it. Good no symptoms despite what I assume is her age being older

10 minutes ago, midtown said:

BTW. Curious as to what the logistics are for a positive test. Is it lock down in some government hotel?

Second. What a mixed plug for vaccines. Bad she still got it. Good no symptoms despite what I assume is her age being older

Not to get off topic but none of 'em is 100% effective, though each of them do greatly reduce the severity of any symptoms.

What's your analysis been of lease rates for a house compared to purchasing? A couple ex-pats who live there advised me several years ago to avoid purchasing because you'll have to find someone else from the US to buy it whenever you want to sell. Curious if that advice is any good.

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I was expecting $170 per test, and I imagine the extra $20 is because the lab was coming to us, so to speak. The tests were going to be administered here at Los Altos.  But my gf's sister discovered (because she's Indian, she'll patiently conduct mammoth amounts of research to save even a modest amount of money) that the US had begun allowing antigen tests (as opposed to just the PCR variety) and she found the local lab that offered the tests at $70. So, she saved me $400.   Almost enough to justify having my de-facto mother- and sister-in-law along for the trip.  (I'm joking, they're actually sweet, wonderful folks).

As Chopper mentioned above, I believe the best we're hoping for out of the vaccines is to minimize the severity of the illness when/if you do contract it.  And given that the mother in law is a senior citizen who's a bit overweight, that's a blessing if successful.

We'll find out tomorrow precisely what the quarantine for her will look like--the lab indicated the health ministry will be contacting her.  We don't know where she'll be staying but it sounds like it'll be a hotel that's set up to cater to covid-positive quarantiners. Apparently, the staff has to wear protective clothing, etc when coming to your room, like a nurse entering a MRSA-positive patient's hospital room.  And given that people who contract covid can test positive for weeks-to-months even after having fully recovered, she'll need documentation from a doctor that she's recovered so she can get on the plane home.

My first thought was that the antigen tests have a lot of false positives, so why not get another test and see if it's negative, in which case she can get the QR Code from American Airlines to be able to fly, but we were told that any positive test triggers a legally mandated 10-14 day quarantine, so even if she did get a neg test, she'd be violating Costa Rican law by attempting to leave the country.

She's serene about it.  We all knew we were assuming this risk when we came, and the travel insurance provides more than enough coverage for the expense.

16 hours ago, Chopper said:

What's your analysis been of lease rates for a house compared to purchasing? A couple ex-pats who live there advised me several years ago to avoid purchasing because you'll have to find someone else from the US to buy it whenever you want to sell. Curious if that advice is any good.

Well it's not just Americans but ex pats from all over but valid point.   I haven't put too much math into but it's a good question and I tend to agree with the idea that liquidity could be an issue but IMO I think the concept of living abroad for Americans will become a bigger trend.    I might live there for a year and not like it.  Maybe I just nomad.   A year in CR, a year in Panama, a year in Colombia etc. 

On 5/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, Augustus said:

We'll find out tomorrow precisely what the quarantine for her will look like--the lab indicated the health ministry will be contacting her. 

@Augustus  Can we get some follow up color on this?  I'm still curious as to how countries handle positive return tests.   

Okay, so here's how the quarantine thing played (is playing) out.

The positive test is uploaded to the Health Ministry and by Costa Rican law it triggers a "10-14 day quarantine."  This is unappealable, and even if you suspect a false positive, and you go so far as to get another test the very next day and it's negative, the quarantine order remains in effect.

However, as is the case everywhere I've been with these types of quarantine/isolation orders, it's 100% do-it-yourself.  So, my gf's mom and sister (the sister already had covid), booked a room at the Double Tree in San Jose, and are doing their "quarantine" there.  

American Airlines informed us that the moment she presents a doctor's note that she has "recovered from covid within the last 90 days" she's free to fly home, whether that's 10-14 days from now or yesterday.  Given that she's had no symptoms, we expect she can get the doctor's note any time.

However, Trawick insurance is now covering the cost of her stay in Costa Rica--for both her and her daughter, my gf's sister--so for some strange reason they are in no hurry to rush home.  They thought about getting another test just to see if it'd be negative but I advised against that because 1) it'll have no relevance as far as CR's quarantine order is concerned, and 2) she can probably see a doc and get note more cheaply.

The bottom line is it's an honor system deal, just like everywhere else.  

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/21/2021 at 7:30 PM, midtown said:

Haha. You're are hooked on CR. Welcome to the club. It is hard to find a place that has so much to offer.

I expected to have a wonderful time, but yes indeed, I was hooked.

Pretty amazing little country.  I was impressed with the quality of the roads from San Jose to Arenal, Arenal to Quepos, and back to San Jose.  Quite a few toll booths but the tolls were really cheap.  

Loved how warm the Pacific was in MA.  Not like the ice bath on the Cali coast.

Friendly locals everywhere we went.  

Holy shit Americans love CR.  We probably outnumbered those locals in both our destinations.

The rental car company gave us a Garmin and it worked perfectly, no navigation issues.

Weather was insane.  Highs in mid-to-upper 80's, lows in 70's.  I still can't believe how little rainfall we experienced.  I never took my rain poncho out of it's little bag.  

Thanks to @midtown and others who offered tips prior to our trip.

We'll be back there next spring.

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s not much in Cartago. You won’t hit any traffic at all between Pavones and Quepos. I’ve done that drive a ton and it’s a really pretty trip.
San Isidro is supposed to be a cool,town with lots of expats and good restaurants, but I’ve never been. To get there from Pavones I think you turn at Dominical. It’s not too far from there so maybe you’ve already been. 
Villa Caletas about 20 minutes up the highway from Jaco is a beautiful hotel property that a wife or girlfriend will love. Food isn’t great so we end up eating in Los Suenos or Jaco for most meals.
Have you spent any time in Escazu? Not exactly the mountains but some great restaurants and nice hotels.
edit- looks like there are multiple San Isidros in CR. I guess it’s like Playa Hermosa of which I think there are about 5. Anyway, the one I meant is the one about halfway between Pavones and San Jose.
Thanks for the tips. We are going a check a few of these out.

Yeah, you have to be careful which version of a beach or town you are aiming for as there are multiple playa Hermosas, Pavones etc etc

On 5/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, Augustus said:

Thermal pool, Nayara Springs (adjacent sister property to Nayara Gardens)

3F1336A1-4515-40CA-8900-AD95047E5CE8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.55692ccb89c0be47b749f7725f380b41.jpeg

I’ve stayed at both.

It lives up to its reputation as one of the best hotels in the world.

did you whitewater raft the Sarapiqui while you were in Arenal? Zip line the volcano?

Weather has been great down here in Dominical. Surf in town sucks. The break is all messed up, it's big and just closes out violently. Didn't even try and few did. Nearby break was good with the right tide. Heading south tomorrow

The town here is pretty quiet and slow but most resturants are up and running. Check before you go, with the rainy season a lot of places are doing shorter hours and random days off. It's nice having open tables everywhere

Traffic from San Jose was fine - 3 hrs ish
Airport was a breeze.

Jaco was hopping. Stopped for beverages and bounced - not my cup of tea

Mask are required most places
It's like the states a few months ago, wear in stores and to the table then remove. Outside nbd.
Pura vida

• Like 1

Weather has been great down here in Dominical. Surf in town sucks. The break is all messed up, it's big and just closes out violently. Didn't even try and few did. Nearby break was good with the right tide. Heading south tomorrow

Username does not check out

I’ve stayed at both.
It lives up to its reputation as one of the best hotels in the world.
did you whitewater raft the Sarapiqui while you were in Arenal? Zip line the volcano?

Agreed on the property... was a truly special place and I’m still a bit bitter that my family said no dice to bringing a date... what an excellent pound-town location!

Anyway, if you’re in the area, highly recommend hitting one of the thermal river pools and the zip line is a must.

Just got back. Had a blast, caught some waves and a few fish for dinner on the way back from a break.

SJO was pretty empty and security was a breeze. For the required Covid Test to get back we used the onsite antigen test. Took maybe 15 min to and from the airport and we had results in about 40 min. Cost around $80

Weather was pretty great. Sunny most days, rain for about an hour in the afternoon, then drying back out in time for dinner. Kept the temps down. Except that last day, it rained all night and all the way from The Gulfo to Cartago. But it is the rainy season.
Mask usage was thorough and mandatory- no complaints tho. Felt bad, they are not allowing kids to play soccer, but the beaches are open and we were able to spend some money and help the economy out.

PSA: Southwest flights are SUPER fucking cheap. Dates are a little weird, but I booked flights for my wife and I in early August and it was less than $850 total for both. 
We’ve never stayed at Tulemar. Not sure why but we always rent houses in MA. Booked the Dulce Vida Villa—if the pics are accurate the views from it are sick. 

We will probably fish again, but last trip out was WAY more fishing than catching. Only got one hookup and landed a nice sail. Captain was talking about weird tides lately bringing in green water (agua verde). 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back from Dominical a couple weeks now. Weather was great. Just a little rain (which I love) but didn’t interrupt anything. Damn it was nice to be back there. 
Surf any? Town was super quiet. A bit of change and closures. The owner of CRSC had a brain aneurysm last week.

41 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
1 hour ago, 4HE said:
Back from Dominical a couple weeks now. Weather was great. Just a little rain (which I love) but didn’t interrupt anything. Damn it was nice to be back there. 

Surf any? Town was super quiet. A bit of change and closures. The owner of CRSC had a brain aneurysm last week.

I did not. I’ve never surfed—wanted to take a lesson while we were there to finally being to learn but this was our first trip to CR for our kiddos. It was more about them than us. 
And woah that’s sad about CSRC owner.