Costa Rica

HornPhD

18 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Any fishing tips for Thanksgiving week? I’ll likely be staying in Dominical again and surfing with the family quite a bit, but would like to get in on something, be it Inshore or off. Even Light tackle fly fishing would be cool. I used to fish quite a bit offshore out of Poc and would mate in exchange for a ride-so I’m useful on a boat.
Any inshore down that way?
Any way to pool with other anglers? 2-3k + for a FAD trip isn’t the best use of my limited travel funds.

There are very few boats out of Dominical and honestly I know little to nothing about any of them. You are probably better off heading up to Quepos. The best value there is who I sent midtown with http://www.queposfishadventure.com/. He has inshore and offshore. If you want to get fancier, the best charter boat there is  http://www.frenzysportfishing.com/

There are very few boats out of Dominical and honestly I know little to nothing about any of them. You are probably better off heading up to Quepos. The best value there is who I sent midtown with http://www.queposfishadventure.com/. He has inshore and offshore. If you want to get fancier, the best charter boat there is  http://www.frenzysportfishing.com/

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

We are flying to Liberia today.  Does anyone know of a place to watch the Horns in the Tamarindo area?  My in-laws rented a house for my wife’s whole family a little south of there in Hacienda Pinilla near the JW Marriott for the week (couldn’t find the brag about the family/holidays thread).  Most of this thread seems focused further south.  Any Guanacaste recommendations?

Thinking about a Jan or Feb trip to CR  Would likely only be a Wednesday to Sunday deal. The Manuel Antonio area sounds great, but a 3 hour drive each way is less than ideal for a short trip.

Any recs for an area an within an hour or so from one of the airports? 

Liekly be several 40 something couples.   Looking to find a nice air bnb with a pool and a great view. In area with some restaurants and bars to hit up, walking distance or thereabouts would be ideal, but might not be possible   Sounds like pretty much everywhere there’d be some sort of excursion option and none of us are too picky on that... 

I've only been to MA and as mentioned earlier Jaco did not seem like my kind of place but for someone trying to get somewhere close it would probably work for Ted.    IMO the idea of flying for 4-5 hours and then not wanting to do an extra hour or so to get to a good spot seems odd. 

Ok. After reading this thread from page one.....  for a Wednesday to Sunday trip, an extra 3 hour of travel on top of 5 hours from IAH didn’t seem ideal.   But there are some nice deals on a arrive at 130 depart at 4 outbound that have changed my mind a bit. Plus reading about it, sounds like the journey from SJO to MA would be enjoyable.  Never driven in CR  but it sounds like that drive is pretty easy.  

So best way to get there?  Rental cars are dirt cheap like 25 a day for a small SUV.  I’d much rather do that than a be stuck in a van/bus. Am I wrong with that idea?

As for closer places, there are some nice VRBOs like 30 minutes west of Liberia. Does it suck over there?

10 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Ok. After reading this thread from page one.....  for a Wednesday to Sunday trip, an extra 3 hour of travel on top of 5 hours from IAH didn’t seem ideal.   But there are some nice deals on a arrive at 130 depart at 4 outbound that have changed my mind a bit. Plus reading about it, sounds like the journey from SJO to MA would be enjoyable.  Never driven in CR  but it sounds like that drive is pretty easy.  

So best way to get there?  Rental cars are dirt cheap like 25 a day for a small SUV.  I’d much rather do that than a be stuck in a van/bus. Am I wrong with that idea?

As for closer places, there are some nice VRBOs like 30 minutes west of Liberia. Does it suck over there?

Ted

Car rental is good. Just don’t do insurance. 

From IAH flight is 3.5 hrs at most. Customs is very fast. 

Really only 1 major hwy from SJO to Quepos. Get some colones as there is a toll. Can’t remember if they take dollars. Every where else does take dollars. 

Can’t help on bnb out of Liberia. 

Book stuff NOW. CR sells out very quickly for your time frame as it is peak tourist season. 

14 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Hell, I have a car in CR and I barely use it. You won’t need one especially on a short trip to one destination. And lol at paying 25 a day. You won’t get out of the rental place anything close to that price.

Get a private van with a driver for about 150 or a little more. He’ll stock you up with any alcohol you want and also stop at places along the way if you want.

32 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Hell, I have a car in CR and I barely use it. You won’t need one especially on a short trip to one destination. And lol at paying 25 a day. You won’t get out of the rental place anything close to that price.

Get a private van with a driver for about 150 or a little more. He’ll stock you up with any alcohol you want and also stop at places along the way if you want.

Expedia has bunches of SUVs for that price. Am I missing something here?

33uwwts.jpg

Yes. See that 33% approval rating?

when you go to pick up the car they tack on taxes, fees, insurance. By the time you are done you’ll be closer to 100 a day. Parking is a pain in the ass in Manuel Antonio.

Also, that Sunday drive back to the airport will be in terrible traffic with all the locals returning from the beach. Is going to add an extra hour.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

^^^^ This.  Very easy.  No messing with the that drive or the rental car while you are at your destination.  Drinks and snacks along the ride and enjoy the start of your vacation right away. 

Unless I had some obscure reason I HAD to have a private car I’d hire a van every time to get to MA and back to SJO. 

• Like 1

I used interbus to get from a hotel at SJO to MA..It was like $0 and it stopped for breakfast and bathrooms.  It was just a van.  4 of us on a bus that sat 10.  The only issue is there schedule is set so on the way back they left at noon and I didn't want to go back to SJO until like 5.   My hotel arranged basically an uber that the bartender knew for $120.   I was a solo traveler.  If you are only going fro A to B dont get a car...If you are driving from A>B>C>B>D then a car might be worth it.   Once you are at you your place you wont want to be driving and cabs are cheap and plentiful.  

Yes. See that 33% approval rating?
when you go to pick up the car they tack on taxes, fees, insurance. By the time you are done you’ll be closer to 100 a day. Parking is a pain in the ass in Manuel Antonio.
Also, that Sunday drive back to the airport will be in terrible traffic with all the locals returning from the beach. Is going to add an extra hour.

Yep all rental places ratchet up the price when you show up, or they don’t have the car etc. That said I paid about $350 for a 4wd SUV for 8 days no issue. I prefer the freedom.

And yes it’s always an extra hour to the airport in Sunday’s or holidays. And there is always a wreck somewhere the rest of the time.

All of that said, if anyone does get a car, get the gps. Also Waze works pretty good there too if you’ve got service. Other than highways there are no street names and no numbering systems so directions can get a little tricky.

”take a right at the church go 10 miles to the bridge and then take a left. Take a right when you see the cows and then you’ll see the hotel”

All of that said, if anyone does get a car, get the gps. Also Waze works pretty good there too if you’ve got service. Other than highways there are no street names and no numbering systems so directions can get a little tricky.

”take a right at the church go 10 miles to the bridge and then take a left. Take a right when you see the cows and then you’ll see the hotel”

That’s no shit. “Turn right at the bar that burned down 10 years ago. “

And review GPS before you follow it. Google maps has taken me over some tiny winding roads which may be a few miles shorter but take hours longer.

• 4 weeks later...

My BIL is twisting my arm to have me and the wife join him and his fiancée in Punta Islita in mid-Feb, then spend a few nights at a jungle Airbnb.

I’ve read this thread but don’t know much about CR. For reference my favorite place on earth is Isla Mujeres, but CR seems more like an adventure vacation vs beautiful beaches and water and lots of beach clubs and restaurants and a constant buzz. I get antsy in remote destinations as I like to get out and mingle.

Anyone know anything about the Punta Islita area?

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

My BIL is twisting my arm to have me and the wife join him and his fiancée in Punta Islita in mid-Feb, then spend a few nights at a jungle Airbnb.

I’ve read this thread but don’t know much about CR. For reference my favorite place on earth is Isla Mujeres, but CR seems more like an adventure vacation vs beautiful beaches and water and lots of beach clubs and restaurants and a constant buzz. I get antsy in remote destinations as I like to get out and mingle.

Anyone know anything about the Punta Islita area?

I was just north of there in Playa Guiones a couple of summers ago.

Costa Rica is what you make of it. If you want it to be an adventure vacation there are plenty of "adventury" things you can do. (Rainforest tours, bike riding, hiking, surfing). 

If you want to sit on a gorgeous beach surrounded by some of the most genuine people on Earth getting hammered on guaro while your wife spends an afternoon at the hotel spa you can do that, too. On the Pacific side the rainforested mountains run right down to the water, which isn't calm or crystal clear but it's warm and a destination spot for surfers.

It is a perfect country to just hang out and get lost in. Food is nothing special in my experience. Just eat whatever you feel like.

As some have cautioned, however, and especially in that part of the country, the roads are dogshit and Google maps isn't always quite up to snuff.

We went on a bit of an excursion down the coastline while I was there last time before we ran into a river that was absent from our GPS. 

That area is not going to be anything like Isla. Ztejas described that part of CR pretty well. Great beaches but you’re not going to find a whole lot going on. It’s for relaxing and doing the adventure tours. For nightlife you need to be in Tamarindo in that part of the country, or Jaco or Manuel Antonio on the central coast.

also, I love the food down there. It’s not fancy but the fish dishes, produce, and basically any form of chicken is great.

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

That area is not going to be anything like Isla. Ztejas described that part of CR pretty well. Great beaches but you’re not going to find a whole lot going on. It’s for relaxing and doing the adventure tours. For nightlife you need to be in Tamarindo in that part of the country, or Jaco or Manuel Antonio on the central coast.

also, I love the food down there. It’s not fancy but the fish dishes, produce, and basically any form of chicken is great.

Oh, yeah. Everything shuts down at 10 or so. 

Nightlife consisted of drinking around the pool when I was there.

39 minutes ago, justhookit said:

this..rice, ,beans, vegetables, chicken and anything fish you catch...I had lunch in a little restaurant in Quepos and the black beans were the best Ive ever had

I've been to a fair number of beaches, from Mexico, Carribean, Hawaii, Philippines, all over the US.... My favorite of all of these has been Flamingo Beach in Costa Rica. Perfect water temp, perfect waves for playing in and hardly anybody there.

Buddy of mine spent a week there over Thanksgiving and sent me these pics:3c08757a498ed142916f3b51de73ed1f.jpg407a7fcc10ef441e62a874ae6374028b.jpg

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Hmm. I’m not sure I want to burn a couple hundred thousand points for that experience. The pictures I saw of the beach down there were downright ugly.

I haven’t been to Punta Islita, but I googled beach pictures from there and well ..... if that’s your definition of ugly, you will despise CR. Please keep going to Isla with the gringos.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed down Sunday and will be there all of January and February, at least half of March, and part of April. If any of y’all are headed down to Quepos/Manuel Antonio or Los Suenos let me know. So far the marlin fishing is good, with sailfish ok. Sailfish season really picks up in Feb and Mar when they have the great years down there. It’s been a few years since that’s happened so they are due. Keep y’all posted.

Lulz. Got in late last night. Woke up this morning and went outside to see this just off our bow in the marina. I could throw a rock and hit them. Love most of what they are trying to do but that tv series shows them doing so many stupid things.

C657-EDF6-C070-4326-8-CE6-6393-AB238-F61

This guy is off our other side but I’d need a slingshot.

2-A0-A6-D86-D57-D-4-A02-A3-E1-FE272-BCFE

Edited by justhookit
Images were reversed

There are slight variations between the different tournaments but they all pretty much work the same. For the upcoming one in the billfish division, which also happens to be where most of the money is, you get 100 points for each sailfish release and 300 points for marlin releases. Size doesn’t matter. Ha. Some tournaments have certified observers go on each boat to count the fish and some tournaments you have to video. You can also win a little money by catching the largest tuna or largest dorado.

base entry fee this week is 3500 but to win the real money you also have to enter optional pots. So you are usually looking at a little over 10,000 to play. Last year we won just over 100,000.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

You can also win a little money by catching the largest tuna or largest dorado.

That answers my question on why in that video people were bringing aboard dorado and tuna.

I assume some corporate sponsorship money primes the prize pot.

How is the money divided?  Evenly or does the owner get a certain percent etc? or is each boat and crew different?

Edited by midtown

No sponsorship money goes into the payouts. They provide some prizes - rods, reels, etc. but that’s about it. Dividing up winnings if you cash varies from boat to boat. Most of the boats fishing tournaments are private and a pretty standard split would be 75% to whoever put up the cash and 25% to the captain, mates, and sometimes anglers depending on who they are. A few people will charter a boat and pay a flat fee to fish per day (plus tip) and then if they win they get all the money. In that case they would also leave a larger tip. But it’s really, really rare for a boat like that to win.

• Like 1

@Buzzrock

This was today at the main public beach in Manuel Antonio. It’s probably the least scenic of any of the beaches here. You’d likely like the beaches and restaurants in this part of the country, but not the nightlife.

view from our lunch spot, Buru (2 great chicken dishes, beer and a margarita for 25 bucks)

On the beach- 2 chairs, umbrella 8 bucks, “waiters” offering frozen drinks, beer, coconut water, whatever

Edited by justhookit
Screwed up pics, try again
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 6:58 AM, midtown said:

Looks like you are in front of Buena Vista...Was JohnCo aka Juan Carlos behind the bar?  That staff is outstanding. 

Don’t know. That’s the main beach right before you get to the park where all the shops and restaurants are. I don’t go there much we usually go to playa Biesanz.

Fishing is fairly slow. We went 8-9 yesterday on sailfish and then 4-5 on half day trip today. Still that’s better than last year at this time, but last year there were a bunch of marlin around in January. This year not so much. Lots of big dorado though. We’ve caught 5 over the last 2 days with the biggest being this one that was 50+ pounds. Tourney starts in the morning.

78-DEF088-9-DE4-40-AF-95-A2-429-A7-DF241

• Like 2