Costa Rica

HornPhD

Catching a bunch of sailfish right now which is really unusual for this time of year. Caught 7 a few days ago and then 6 yesterday on basically a half day trip. Friends caught 26 on a one day trip Friday. However, the marlin fishing has not been great and this is the time of year when it usually gets really good. I’ll be down for the next full moon so hopefully it picks up.

0F17E2EC-825B-4F07-8593-AB9113C00E4A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Anyone there now to provide some weather reporting? My girlfriend is flying there tomorrow and worried about the 10 days of rain in the forecast.

Ignore the forecasts they are worthless. It will rain some but not enough to ruin a trip.

6 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I told her. It's the same as Cozumel. Might rain for 5 minutes or 5 hours. She still worries.

first pic is Friday evening, second is Saturday morning and third is Saturday evening. It’s only raining in one of them.

DCD2FDAA-5D88-4EAD-8D7A-573D3975C64E.jpeg

CCFF5DA1-5421-4620-94E1-4B5ED0D560A3.jpeg

AB6FEE16-8963-4768-BA51-0B2A2A168CDE.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
Pics out of order but you can get the idea
  • Hook 'Em 2

Waking up in Jaco now. About to head to Manuel Antonio. Does anyone know if there are places to buy a sandwich and drinks in the park? Planning on hiking around and laying on the beach but don’t know if I need to pack in food and drinks or I can just buy some simple things there in the park. 

Also any recommendations for dinner and drinks are appreciated. Will be staying at Hotel San Baba there.  

Edited by squib

4 hours ago, squib said:

there are places to buy a sandwich and drinks in the park?

Yes.  There is a spot right at the turn to the furthest beach but honestly I've never looked at the actual menu.

4 hours ago, squib said:

dinner and drinks are appreciated.

Buru has been good twice but I'd walk down the beach to Buena Vista.  They food is really good.

Edited by midtown

Midtown would know better about the park. Last I was there you couldn’t buy food/drinks once inside but it’s been years since I’ve actually been to the park. If it’s not too late just avoid the park altogether.

In Manuel Antonio dinner Cuba Libre, Cafe Milagro (also great for breakfast), or Agua Azul. Drinks at sunset at Barba Roja and then Jolly Roger at the Byblos Hotel.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks. Saw the little food stand in the park but didn’t need it. Packed in some water and that was good enough. Park is closed today so about to take group to zipline and then afternoon on beach. Will look up your recs tonight for dinner and drinks. Hoping there is some transportation available. Off to Dominical in the morning. 

Third trip to Costa Rica and travel around the country rather than sit in one place so I feel I have seen lots of what  CR has to offer. To me, there was nothing at Manuel Antonio that you can’t see in other places and with fewer people. It was a nice way to pass some hours, but I was not blown away nor was that my expectation going in.

So my rec:  Visit the park if you are in the area but I wouldn’t hop of the plane and drive straight there and not leave the area. 

13 hours ago, squib said:

Third trip to Costa Rica and travel around the country rather than sit in one place so I feel I have seen lots of what  CR has to offer. To me, there was nothing at Manuel Antonio that you can’t see in other places and with fewer people. It was a nice way to pass some hours, but I was not blown away nor was that my expectation going in.

So my rec:  Visit the park if you are in the area but I wouldn’t hop of the plane and drive straight there and not leave the area. 

I think he was specifically asking about the park in which case you and I agree. It’s fine. But I wouldn’t tell anyone to go there either. Or I am confused and you are referring to Manuel Antonio and the national park interchangeably.

Manuel Antonio is a nice introduction to CR for someone that has never been and there is a ton of stuff to do, easily, within a short drive. There’s also a bunch to do there but you have to get off the beaten tourist path. Playa Biesanz is one of my favorite places to go. I actually enjoy the public beach just outside of the park, too.  Quepos is great for getting a little more local flavor.

Yes. I am referring to the park only. Sorry for the confusion. The area is nice and there seems to be a lot going on. Wish we were here another day. Had wings and beer last night at the Jolly Roger and it was very enjoyable. The wings were the biggest I have ever had. Things are closing down early here so if you have a full day of outdoor activity there is not much time in the evenings for just sitting and drinking. I have been too exhausted to stay up late anyway so it has worked out fine. Headed to Dominical after breakfast. Hope to hit up Fuego. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

Love Fuego. Have fun. How’s the rain?

Spent the morning on a beach between here and Ovita. Sitting at Phat Noodle in Dominical now listening to it thunder but rain hasn’t hit yet. Walking down to Fuego as soon as I get the check here. 

Has been pouring every day from about 3 pm to about 7 pm. Yesterday was just a brief shower but the previous two it was a monsoon. Entering Into prime rain time today. I’m prepared to sit in Fuego until the world floats away. 

AA6A0A02-36D7-4F46-ACFD-91C8C1445D8D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

Trogon Lodge today up in the cloud forrest. Area attracts lots of birders and is apparently one of the few places you can see a Quetzal. I appreciate a good bird, but we are here just because. Guided bird tour at 5 am that I may make.

Did a decent hike today and walked along a river with some small waterfalls. Sitting in the lodge bar know having a glass of wine before a nice dinner. They raise their own trout here in the cold, flowing water so I had smoked trout for lunch. Was excellent. Thinking about a steak for dinner. 

C64855C7-0106-47D0-9428-83CD693EB0BE.jpeg

D96F1886-FF95-47F5-A82F-E34F0E2DACCF.jpeg

FA32B85E-6C22-4A6D-9ACD-9A05B3FE4407.jpeg

C4F54441-8F79-4B49-9783-866EC81E940E.jpeg

Edited by squib
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone got an update on the fishing? Headed back august 3-10 and want to book a boat. Green water wrecked our last fishing trip out there in June. Trying to decide if we should just do inshore and target roosters this time. 

I'm headed to Santa Teresa next week. Any recs on that area? Flying into Liberia.
I recommend that you should go there if you are in your 20s/early 30s and like hot fit women.
Holy shit.

Argentinian joint in Playa Carmen is great
Food everywhere has been great

Town is busy ,but curfew at 9 is pretty strict , shit shuts down promptly

17 hours ago, 4HE said:

Anyone got an update on the fishing? Headed back august 3-10 and want to book a boat. Green water wrecked our last fishing trip out there in June. Trying to decide if we should just do inshore and target roosters this time. 

It’s been really good lately down in the Manuel Antonio and Los Suenos area. Where are you going?

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

It’s been really good lately down in the Manuel Antonio and Los Suenos area. Where are you going?

That’s great news! Manuel Antonio. Staying in Tulemar for the first time. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:09 AM, justhookit said:

Hit me up boat is available just pay expenses. I’m not there now.

Where are you located? I assume you are in Los Suenos. I am potentially looking for a place in Costa Rica. I want to be close to the beach and there seems to be nothing on the Caribbean side of the country. So my choices seem to be Hermosa, Playa Flamingo, Tamarindo, Jaco, Manuel Antonio, and Uvita. I would prefer to be away from San Jose. I don't know about Liberia but I assume I don't want to be too close to there either. My favorite condos are in Dominicalito, Uvita, Puntarenas and Manuel Antonio in Puntarenas, and Playa Panama in Guanacaste. We like solitude (like not being in the center of Quepos), obviously a beach would be nice, scarlet macaws, monkeys, mariposas, and toucans and sloths would be nice, a marina somewhat nearby (we dive and we would fish although we don't know much about deep sea fishing as redfish and speckled trout were more our thing). We would probably do more grouper/dorado fishing than sailfish and marlin. And I don't want to spend a lot on a boat. Hopefully, something like a 28ft. Glacier Bay would work. Anyway, what would be your top choices in Costa Rica?

Edited by Bevo

Where are you located? I assume you are in Los Suenos. I am potentially looking for a place in Costa Rica. I want to be close to the beach and there seems to be nothing on the Caribbean side of the country. So my choices seem to be Hermosa, Playa Flamingo, Tamarindo, Jaco, Manuel Antonio, and Uvita. I would prefer to be away from San Jose. I don't know about Liberia but I assume I don't want to be too close to there either. My favorite condos are in Dominicalito, Uvita, Puntarenas and Manuel Antonio in Puntarenas, and Playa Panama in Guanacaste. We like solitude (like not being in the center of Quepos), obviously a beach would be nice, scarlet macaws, monkeys, mariposas, and toucans and sloths would be nice, a marina somewhat nearby (we dive and we would fish although we don't know much about deep sea fishing as redfish and speckled trout were more our thing). We would probably do more grouper/dorado fishing than sailfish and marlin. And I don't want to spend a lot on a boat. Hopefully, something like a 28ft. Glacier Bay would work. Anyway, what would be your top choices in Costa Rica?
I would start by deciding on what sort of boat you want to use and how you want to access it. There are many spots that would allow for beach launch of a panga or 28' all over the country. Very few marinas with space available for larger boats.

We are looking at maybe Matapalo area with a smaller boat to hit surf spots, dive, and fish. If I was doing Marlin and Sails I would look elsewhere.

Then look at the quality of diving in various areas on dive specific forums. I only know the popular Pacific spots and it's not the Caribbean for sure.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Taking the daughters to Costa Rica in March.  I am vaxed (not boosted), and my 16/12 year old daughters are not (no pics... seriously).  What is the likelihood that they will be able to fly from the US to CR and then back, if not vaxed?  We do not want to vaccinate them.  I ask now b/c we are close to looking for flights.

Last time I was there was about 4 months ago so don’t know if anything has changed. 

Did not have to have Covid test but had to buy insurance that covered if got sick or had to quarantine. 
Coming back have to have Covid test. Vax had nothing to do with it either direction. Not sure if that has changed though. 
Google CR government Covid site and they spell it out pretty good. 

5 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Taking the daughters to Costa Rica in March.  I am vaxed (not boosted), and my 16/12 year old daughters are not (no pics... seriously).  What is the likelihood that they will be able to fly from the US to CR and then back, if not vaxed?  We do not want to vaccinate them.  I ask now b/c we are close to looking for flights.

Nobody wants pics of a 16 yo or a 12 yo.

If you're dead set against boosters or vaccines I think there is some risk that you MAY not be able to travel on an airline in the future. NOBODY KNOWS what the requirements will be to enter the US in 4 months. Currently you are but by March, vaccination and boosters may be required. Based on what the early test results about the booster and the new variant I won't be surprised in the least if they institute a new travel requirement. Also Costa Rica could always decide to institute their own vax requirements for restaurants or hotels. Who knows.

If you're flexible on getting the vaccinations you should be getting anyway you'll be fine. If not, either risk losing your money, don't travel, or buy "cancel of any reason" insurance.

Edited by Chopper

Went to Belize in early November. We had to show negative test results from within 48 hours of entry. Vaccination status was never asked. Each country will have its own entry requirements so you'll need to check on Costa Rica specifically, and obviously those could change in the coming months.

For coming home, we had to get negative Covid tests. The vax vs. no-vax only came into play with regard to how long before your flight you're allowed to have a negative test. If vaccinated, could be 72 hours before flight. If not, had to be within 24 hours of flight. However, that has already changed: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html Everybody within 1 day now it appears.

• 4 weeks later...

Scanned the thread, but figured I would post questions anyways in case anything has changed. We’re looking at going over the summer sometime, 2 families with kids from 9-16. We’re trying to decide what area to stay in that will offer the most to do with them. Probably want to be based near beaches and we’ll drive to do other things. Plan will probably be beaches, golf, fishing, exploring different areas, etc. Decent food options around would be a plus.

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Scanned the thread, but figured I would post questions anyways in case anything has changed. We’re looking at going over the summer sometime, 2 families with kids from 9-16. We’re trying to decide what area to stay in that will offer the most to do with them. Probably want to be based near beaches and we’ll drive to do other things. Plan will probably be beaches, golf, fishing, exploring different areas, etc. Decent food options around would be a plus.

Tulemar Resort will meet most of, if not all, your needs (not sure about golfing). We had two families (4 adults, 4 kids) and stayed at the Garden House. 

• Like 1