Blinds

I have too many windows in my house and need some type of window covering. Think old style Austin bungalow. 

What should I put? Just regular wood (white) blinds? Where do you buy as I don't want cheap ones but don't see the need to drop a fortune?

Faux wood blinds, sounds like your price range is home depot or Lowes (not knocking you). Probably get a decent deal if you see what specials they have, get a HD card, ask the manager for a 2 year 0% deal, sometimes if business (by their standards)  is slow, a manager will bite, or at least meet you halfway. 

Stay away from the stuff on the aisles, it makes sense in your head that they would be cheaper, you'll get hd to cut them for you, you'll install. But it doesn't work that easy, normally. People return their blinds with missing parts,  they get restocked so you can come back again and return the blind again. Whoever cuts, will.most likely miss a couple cuts, too small or too large, either way, another trip back.

Have them measure and install. 

I've had good luck with Budget Blinds.  Mine are faux wood (white), so they are lighter and can be cut longer (keeps you from having to get two blinds for one window).  Simple process - the come out and measure, order, then return a week or so later to install.  Phone is 512-670-2222.

I measured and installed myself. Went with selectblinds.com. Seriously easy.

I hope I don't jinx it, but we haven't had any dust magnet problems.

Honeycomb cellular, which is what we had before these faux wood slat blinds, do a better job of insulating and blocking light. Also thinner.

One thing to note, which is obvious after the fact, but I didn't notice beforehand, the top part sticks out a bit more than expected. But it's not that noticeable unless you see it from the side. Keep this in mind when you pick your width.

If you want even cheaper, we previously put cut-your-own in the kids' rooms. Search "trim-at-home shade" on Amazon.3ca48bf5227a81152a0a5620d48a4e96.jpg5151ff9c0e9c12349624554d80de1b29.jpg