Trump’s Gestapo in Portland

Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Axiom of Choice said:

You avoided the question because you know it is lunacy.  You respond in a way that one may take as emotional, but that can't be the case because you are the one who posts paragraphs about my emotions, so I must be the emotional one and not you by the laws of internet dialectics.

Would you like for all three of us to demonstrate some spine?  Let's me, you, and huckleberry take a drive up to Portland.  I'm assuming we are all in Texas.  I'll use my car.  I think we will get along just fine in real life.  If not, there are two of you so you can just strangle me.  This is important so lets take action in real life and not waste time on message boards.  

Our kids are and have been fighting back in their home cities, regularly.  We don't have to go to Portland to confront oppressive authoritarians -- we can do it right here at home.  Many of us have.  Many of us continue to do so.  And if the feds show up to escalate shit here, more of us will come out here.  That's how this shit works.

Again, answer my question: do you think the kids marching in Birmingham was wrong?  Your cowardice in refusing to take a position is showing.....

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Because in the second scenario, my kids are exercising a constitutional right.  I was told that those were sacred, and that kids must be allowed to exercise them.  Was that memo incorrect?  Because it sure seemed important when it came to the 2nd amendment.

Fascinating that it is not important when it comes to the 1st and the 4th.

As a lawyer, I assume you understand better than most the dynamic between adults and minors and the reasons why ages of consent, and ages to choose things for themselves, are in place versus custodial rights (and psychological influence, power, etc.) you have. 

That said, I do think 8 or 9 year old's can choose good things to rally around and be in support of, such as BLM protests, etc. My children wanted to participate after we showed them the George Floyd video. It was heartbreaking to see my youngest be really effected--and scared. I questioned was I being a good parent by showing such a young kid and giving them access to the reality-- or should I be doing more to shelter/shield them. I ultimately think I landed on the right thing, for us, but I don't judge anyone who doesn't want their kids to know about the wickedness and brokenness of the world.

But the question remains, are the 8 or 9 year olds acting off of some pure, primal sense of justice and what's right, existing since time immemorial? Or are they influenced by the parents? It's also the constitutional right of an 8 or 9 year old and his parents to go to a Klan rally or Unite the Right rally (perhaps, same difference?), but isn't that using children as political puppetry and/or an example of children being influenced by their parents?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

As a lawyer, I assume you understand better than most the dynamic between adults and minors and the reasons why ages of consent, and ages to choose things for themselves, are in place versus custodial rights (and psychological influence, power, etc.) you have. 

That said, I do think 8 or 9 year old's can choose good things to rally around and be in support of, such as BLM protests, etc. My children wanted to participate after we showed them the George Floyd video. It was heartbreaking to see my youngest be really effected--and scared. I questioned was I being a good parent by showing such a young kid and giving them access to the reality-- or should I be doing more to shelter/shield them. I ultimately think I landed on the right thing, for us, but I don't judge anyone who doesn't want their kids to know about the wickedness and brokenness of the world.

But the question remains, are the 8 or 9 year olds acting off of some pure, primal sense of justice and what's right, existing since time immemorial? Or are they influenced by the parents? It's also the constitutional right of an 8 or 9 year old and his parents to go to a Klan rally or Unite the Right rally (perhaps, same difference?), but isn't that using children as political puppetry and/or an example of children being influenced by their parents?

It's surely a bit of both.  Kids have agency, but not the full agency and authority of adults.

That said, the very fact that a suggestion that kids go march and protest is an example of hideous parenting.....because we KNOW that the jackboots will break the law and attack them.....is the whole fucking problem, man.  We KNOW that a line of kids WILL be teargassed by OUR GOVERNMENT.  That's the whole fucking problem.

8 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

You avoided the question because you know it is lunacy.  You respond in a way that one may take as emotional, but that can't be the case because you are the one who posts paragraphs about my emotions, so I must be the emotional one and not you by the laws of internet dialectics.

Would you like for all three of us to demonstrate some spine?  Let's me, you, and huckleberry take a drive up to Portland.  I'm assuming we are all in Texas.  I'll use my car.  I think we will get along just fine in real life.  If not, there are two of you so you can just strangle me.  This is important so lets take action in real life and not waste time on message boards.  

I didn't avoid your question, it had already been answered and has been answered again. And don't worry, I was not emotional at all when I called you a moron and a coward. That was as matter-of-fact a statement as can be made.

And to be clear, you're not alone. I've been a moron and a coward about many things in my life. I'm sure I'm still a moron and a coward about some things, although when I discover that truth about myself I work to change it. Now's your chance to do so.

What is the actual bad part of a situation where families including mothers and children are abused and tear-gassed by oppressive government agents? Is it the families putting themselves in that situation by protesting? Or is it the government agents who are abusing and tear-gassing the citizens?

It doesn't take any bravery to type on a message board.  It takes some amount of bravery to come out behind these silly personas we build and meet people in real life.  It would take more bravery (and a lot more inconvenience) to drive a couple thousand miles to protest what we claim to be so passionate about on the internet.  You are not willing to do either of those things.

Kids marching in Birmingham was not wrong.  Using kids deliberately as bait in hopes that officers will beat them is wrong.  

Bolded text: yet both things are true.  Peacefully marching.....is bait for officers to beat them, and they will take that bait.  That's the fucking problem.

As for the "I challenge you to go to Portland right now!"....fuck off.  That's the functional equivalent of telling anyone criticizing US military action "oh yeah?  Why don't YOU put on the uniform and go fight?"  It's fucking stupid.

My family has done a shitload for this effort, across the board, in ways that I'm not going to put out there on a message board.  It includes peaceful protest, and a willingness to take the risk of getting teargassed, and I expect that it will again.

We don't have to go to Portland to find militarized forces happy to use violent repression against our citizens -- we can get that right here at home.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What is the actual bad part of a situation where families including mothers and children are abused and tear-gassed by oppressive government agents? Is it the families putting themselves in that situation by protesting? Or is it the government agents who are abusing and tear-gassing the citizens?

[bootlicker] CLEARLY, it's the reckless families, who are bad, bad people. [/bootlicker]

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's surely a bit of both.  Kids have agency, but not the full agency and authority of adults.

That said, the very fact that a suggestion that kids go march and protest is an example of hideous parenting.....because we KNOW that the jackboots will break the law and attack them.....is the whole fucking problem, man.  We KNOW that a line of kids WILL be teargassed by OUR GOVERNMENT.  That's the whole fucking problem.

To continue using analogies and metaphors you'd understand, I feel like we started off really far away in our contract review but we are really close and just a couple of redlines away at landing on an understanding here.

I do not think that kids going to march and protest--and seeing that lever of your rights being pulled and being around a group of likeminded folks who share your same (legal) values is bad-- that seems to me to be overwhelmingly good.

I think that I just took your premise to be as Axiom said; it sounded like you were wanting to use children to bait police to hurting them/teargassing them, in order to advance the political agenda. I do not think that kids would be tear gassed or hurt by just existing at peaceful rallies, without adults using them (influencing them) to do things that would invite such a response. I don't think 8 or 9 year olds would otherwise disobey orders or engage in riots, of their own agency.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

To continue using analogies and metaphors you'd understand, I feel like we started off really far away in our contract review but we are really close and just a couple of redlines away at landing on an understanding here.

I do not think that kids going to march and protest--and seeing that lever of your rights being pulled and being around a group of likeminded folks who share your same (legal) values is bad-- that seems to me to be overwhelmingly good.

I think that I just took your premise to be as Axiom said; it sounded like you were wanting to use children to bait police to hurting them/teargassing them, in order to advance the political agenda. I do not think that kids would be tear gassed or hurt by just existing at peaceful rallies, without adults using them (influencing them) to do things that would invite such a response. I don't think 8 or 9 year olds would otherwise disobey orders or engage in riots, of their own agency.

There's the flaw.  The don't have to be engaged in riots to get teargassed and beaten.  That's the point.  Don't buy into the false narrative -- that's how the gestapo wants you to think.  Getting beaten is proof that you were a rioter.  NO.  That's not how it works.  They will attack peaceful protesters.  They have already, they will do so again.  Shit, they shot teargas at a woman armed with only a vagina.  They did so in Birmingham back in the day as well.  It's how jackboots jackboot.

And it's how we win.  One of two things happens:

1) women and children protest peacefully.  The jackboots back down.  We win.

2) women and children protest peacefully.  The jackboots -- in full view of the country and the world -- attack and teargas them.  We win.

But importantly, embedded in my suggestion was a prediction - which outcome do you think is MORE likely, 1 or 2?  The fact that you think it's 2 -- and AOC certainly seems to agree -- indicates the depth of the problem we're facing, and emphasizes the urgency and importance of the fight.  Because the other option is this:

3) out of fear of violence from jackboots, vulnerable citizens -- women and children -- should surrender their constitutional rights, giving the jackboots exactly what they want.

Of all three options, 3) is the one that disgusts me the most.  I'm good with that.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

There's the flaw.  The don't have to be engaged in riots to get teargassed and beaten.  That's the point.  Don't buy into the false narrative -- that's how the gestapo wants you to think.  Getting beaten is proof that you were a rioter.  NO.  That's not how it works.  They will attack peaceful protesters.  They have already, they will do so again.  They did so in Birmingham back in the day as well.  It's how jackboots jackboot.

I guess I'm bought into the false narrative, as of press time, because I don't necessarily agree here, but I understand that is your characterization of it and that's the premise to which I was responding-- your assertion that it would happen.

Anyways, hope it works out in Portland.

32 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

He didn't say let kids protest.  He said "MAKE them teargas and beat children."  Do either of you agree with that statement?

Negged for disingenuous argument. Your statement is an absurd attempt to twist Brisket's statement into "I want to see children teargassed and beaten." No. He's saying children should be able to walk in the street during a demonstration without being attacked by imported federal jackboots. 

They've attacked Moms. Will they attack whole families who present no threat? If they attack a child, is it the child's fault? The parents?

You seem to be in your last ditch of justifying what you won't recognize in yourself as fascism. "Well, the other side wants to harm children! I must stand against that!" It's your side doing the harming.

It's the right declaring that the demonstrations are actually riots, sieges, and horrible displays of lawlessness. Lies and exagerrations used to justify the deployment of force. 

If you support this, you're the problem. 

• Like 6

If one uses kids deliberately as bait in hopes that they will get beat so they can use the story to " turn the people against the regime," then that is wrong. 

Is there any reasonable expectation that anyone peacefully protesting in the vicinity of irregular paramilitary government forces will NOT be the victim of violence from those forces?  Nope.

Thus, you are recommending my option 3 above.  Nope.  We aren't "bend our knee to the oppressor" kinda folks.  None of us should be.

Let the government behave as it should -- and we win.  Let the government show the world it is an illegitimate monster -- and we win.  Those are the rules of the game we're playing.  I'm good with them.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
DHS needs to go. Start over again, maybe go back to INS. 

I was against the creation of the DHS at the time and remain against it. It should be broken back up into its component agencies. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Is there any reasonable expectation that anyone peacefully protesting in the vicinity of irregular paramilitary government forces will NOT be the victim of violence from those forces?  Nope.

Thus, you are recommending my option 3 above.  Nope.  We aren't "bend our knee to the oppressor" kinda folks.  None of us should be.

Let the government behave as it should -- and we win.  Let the government show the world it is an illegitimate monster -- and we win.  Those are the rules of the game we're playing.  I'm good with them.

Arguing with a moron...You know the rest about getting dragged into their ridiculousness Brisket.  

• Like 1

If the question is regarding parents who expose their children to their own political ideology despite risks, one could say we've seen it often enough:

Anti-vaccination groups still crowdfunding on Facebook ...?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.fyJdYp3uywwpmlCSKMepSQHaEa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Huntington Beach protesters slam Newsom on beach closures ...but the difference that I see and support with the posters such as Brisket et al is that while I may say that a parent protesting with their child about reopening is being reckless (with respect to the COVID-19 virus or in not vaccinating), the government is not pursuing said child or parent and abusing their rights while protesting.

Don't know if I just whatabouted the discussion....

51 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Dark times ahead. At least we can say we lived through and participated in the defeat of a rise of right wing fascism in this country. Because there is no alternative. We have to beat them back. 

If you believe in equality for all there is no alternative. However, we have a significant portion of our population that does not and never has wanted that. They will gladly welcome fascist and racist leaders, as well as their policies, to make sure it doesn’t  come to fruition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

DHS needs to go. Start over again, maybe go back to INS. 

We knew this was coming.

Strategic Operations memo in the fall of last year. The virus and impeachment just delayed it a little. Portland was the test run, now any major city with Democratic governance will either have to bend the knee or fight. The tricky part will come if it spreads to R governor but D city leadership. Like Houston.

They are honing their craft.

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I was searching online for some smoke bombs and cs canisters to properly provision my 5 year old with, and came across this little sub genre: https://peacocksmoke.com/collections/gender-reveal-smoke-bomb-powder-cannons

The gender reveal smoke bomb cannon. What a world. 

pink_smoke_1024x1024_2x_32f16241-e15d-47

I think one of these started a wildfire in Tucson a year or two ago.

2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Words aren’t winning this fight. Actions are what will win it. I remember saying on here in the spring that this summer will be the shitshow to end all shitshows and damned if our orange-faced buffoon isn’t making it a reality. People across this country have to get out and stand up to this bullshit when it comes to them. I am optimistic that we will do that in large enough numbers that the message will reverberate around the globe that Americans do in-fact give a damn about our fellow human beings and won’t back down from this racist administration. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

i know you already know this, but axiom is doing what axiom always does: try to cloud the issue with vague rhetoric. 

i mean, the government shot pepper balls at a naked woman last night. they tear gassed a line of peaceful mothers who were doing nothing violent. you are correct that the only way forward is to face down the jackboots and brownshirts, and that takes all of us.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

What I always do is suggest we leave kids out of harms way and then offer to drive a pack of adults to protest in person?  

No I think he meant you pretend to be smart by using a bunch of words to say nothing like you always do.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

12 year old kids are not old enough to make these decisions for themselves.  If you bring them to a protest not only knowing they are very likely to get hurt, but hoping it happens, then you are abusing the guardian relationship.  You can post whatever insane non sequitur you want from this and claim this means I support fascism, but what I stated is true.  If you do not think they are likely to get hurt and bring them to a protest, then this is completely different  

What I am suggesting is simply to not involve your kids in situation where you think they are likely to get hurt or arrested.  I don't even know why this is controversial.  The first time I got cuffed and arrested I was 13.  I don't care what lesson you think they might learn, it is not worth it.  It is one thing to post rants on a message board, it is another thing when a kid in real life is getting cuffed and taken from his parents.  You put a kid in a situation like that on purpose and I say you are a monster.  If it helps, nazi solders, Gestapo, etc, are even bigger monsters.  

So you think the lesson 12-year-olds should learn is not to stand up for what they believe in?  They should be coddled and stay at home, because learning to fear the jackboots is more important than standing up to them.

10 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

12 year old kids are not old enough to make these decisions for themselves.  If you bring them to a protest not only knowing they are very likely to get hurt, but hoping it happens, then you are abusing the guardian relationship.  You can post whatever insane non sequitur you want from this and claim this means I support fascism, but what I stated is true.  If you do not think they are likely to get hurt and bring them to a protest, then this is completely different  

What I am suggesting is simply to not involve your kids in situation where you think they are likely to get hurt or arrested.  I don't even know why this is controversial.  The first time I got cuffed and arrested I was 13.  I don't care what lesson you think they might learn, it is not worth it.  It is one thing to post rants on a message board, it is another thing when a kid in real life is getting cuffed and taken from his parents.  You put a kid in a situation like that on purpose and I say you are a monster.  If it helps, nazi solders, Gestapo, etc, are even bigger monsters.  

Cool!

The excellent thing is, I'll just have my kids at a peaceful protest, exercising their constitutional rights (which they have already done, several times).  They should have NOTHING to fear from forces of the US government on US soil, right?

Or wait....are you saying that I'd be wrong, and would be purposefully subjecting my children to violence committed by US forces?

Glossing over the "likely to get hurt" issue renders every other fucking thing you say bullshit apologist crap, which is why you include the pointless defensive language and gratuitous "also nazis are really bad" language.

You and I both know that children showing up to protest in Oregon are quite likely to be attacked by US government irregular paramilitaries.  That's the entire fucking story.  Everything else is a footnote.

14 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i know you already know this, but axiom is doing what axiom always does: try to cloud the issue with vague rhetoric. 

i mean, the government shot pepper balls at a naked woman last night. they tear gassed a line of peaceful mothers who were doing nothing violent. you are correct that the only way forward is to face down the jackboots and brownshirts, and that takes all of us.

ALL OF US.

7 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

What I always do is suggest we leave kids out of harms way and then offer to drive a pack of adults to protest in person?  

No.  The country belongs to all of us.  All of us.  If it's putting our kids "in harms way" to peacefully protest our government, then they are in harms way at home, right now.  Government violence and repression doesn't constrain itself to certain streets.  

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

So you think the lesson 12-year-olds should learn is not to stand up for what they believe in?  They should be coddled and stay at home, because learning to fear the jackboots is more important than standing up to them.

Damned right.  Hard lessons are being learned all fucking over.  Sheltering our kids from an existential fight for the right to be human beings free of government violence and oppression is a mistake.  They are in this fight, whether or not they wanted to be.  I really, really, really fucking wish it wasn't that way.  I wish my kids had a more innocent childhood.  I wish my daughter could just be another college kid, partying with her friends.  I wish my son could be just another high school senior, going to class and playing baseball with his buddies.  Neither thing is happening.  That's the world we live in.  You can try to pretend otherwise, but you'd just be lying to yourself and your kids.

Fuck that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Good thread about where power lies and has always been, with the people. Worth the 28 tweet read. 

Oh, and this.  This.  For every man, woman, and, yep, child.

Don't think that popular pressure works?  Shit, look at more mild things just in the past week.  The regime and its sycophants wer  ll on board with COVID is a hoax, masks are a hoax, we have to open schools NOW, etc.

What happened?  Overwhelming public pressure.  The people spoke.  And leaders -- even sycophants like Abbott -- listened to the huge masses, not just their deranged base.  They let schools go virtual.  They issued mask orders of their own.  They bent to our will.  Which they should, because WE are in charge.  In the American org chart, we are at the top, not the regime, not its jackboots.  Force and violence do not equal legitimacy.  They never do.  They are in fact, a sign of disappearing legitimacy.  They can no longer control us by our consent, so they have to use force.

Fuck 'em.  There are more of us than they have boots.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Axiom of Choice said:

It doesn't take any bravery to type on a message board.  It takes some amount of bravery to come out behind these silly personas we build and meet people in real life.  It would take more bravery (and a lot more inconvenience) to drive a couple thousand miles to protest what we claim to be so passionate about on the internet.  You are not willing to do either of those things.

Kids marching in Birmingham was not wrong.  Using kids deliberately as bait in hopes that officers will beat them is wrong.  

Congrats.  You've taken the belt for intentional and deliberate obtuseness from Brothahorn this week.  Tune in next week to see if Brothahorn can take it back or if Swam comes out of retirement and nails you in the back with his disingenuous argument folding chair.

• Like 3

Every accusation is a confession. The same people who accuse others of being "sheep" for wearing face masks, taking a pandemic seriously, and trusting experts more than doctors who post on youtube, now think that children acting to protect their own rights and standing up to fascistic authority is child abuse.

• Like 2

Just now, Axiom of Choice said:

Anyone can type on a message board.  In seems doing something in person right now is too much for you, either because of fear or inconvenience.  But you do post an awful lot so I can see why you feel justified in questioning my sincerity.  I mean this is the fight for the soul of our nation, but who can be bothered with an out of state trip right now?  Maybe if similar situations occur in Texas you might become a bit more bold (or less inconvenienced by the trip) and we can meet up and protest together.  Anything short of that would not convince you of my actual beliefs.  

It almost seems like your road trip buddy offers are really more of a come at me bro internet tough guy challenge.  

• Like 1

Just now, Axiom of Choice said:

In seems doing something in person right now is too much for you, either because of fear or inconvenience. 

That you think this is clever reveals more about how pathetic you are than you can even grasp.  I won't waste any time laying out what I -- and every member of my family, by the way -- is doing and has done across the board on the matters of grievances against our current government and its assault on basic human rights.  I am more than comfortable with the sacrifices we've made and are making, and will continue to do.  We are taking action and moving wheels literally every single fucking day.  I certainly feel no need to respond to juvenile internet dares that a fool thinks makes him a man of action.  That you think that such bullshit puffery like that either makes you look good or would have any effect on someone who has any personal stand and strength....wow.  That's just embarrassing.

Seriously.  How embarrassing.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

Anyone can type on a message board.  In seems doing something in person right now is too much for you, either because of fear or inconvenience. 

This is Don Jr. writing a book called Triggered.

• Like 1

Why cross into the realm of reality when we can stay at safe distances on the internet?  Those are the most sincere of all.  

Every accusation is a confession. Because you’re pontificating from behind your keyboard instead of working toward positive change, you assume everyone else’s efforts are solely from behind a keyboard. There’s no evidence of that. Instead better you set a pointless and pointlessly specific task others must take according to you to properly respond.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Every accusation is a confession. Because you’re pontificating from behind your keyboard instead of working toward positive change, you assume everyone else’s efforts are solely from behind a keyboard. There’s no evidence of that. Instead better you set a pointless and pointlessly specific task others must take according to you to properly respond.

He'll just ignore what you posted and continue to embarrass himself.  Let him.  I'm not sure what's worse -- that he's continuing on that path, or that he thinks it actually impresses or persuades anyone.

7 minutes ago, Axiom of Choice said:

I'm not questioning the actions or beliefs of your family.  You claim that I don't really care about this issue, that I am an apologist, etc.  You are the one challenging my sincerity on this issue.   So fine, let's do something together in person. I believe we would get along in real life and see eye to eye on most things and so I don't see that as some type of dare.  I think the same about huckleberry.  What is the dare exactly?  To work together for a common cause?  Now you don't want to do that which is fine, but to act like I am fake or giving antagonizing dares when I am the one willing to protest together side by side with you is nonsense.  You want to see me as opponent on this issue merely because I think it is crazy to deliberately put kids out as bait to get beaten.  That's pretty much the only thing we disagree about here.  

Keep digging.  It's not going how you think it is.

• Like 1