2018 Body Transformation Thread

Just an FYI, I’m not doing Keto, more like Atkins. I cut out literally ALL soda. Diet soda is just as bad. If you cut out soda, you will have a lot more success. I’ve lost damn near 20 pounds since April 6th and I was a 2 or 3 a day Dr. pepper guy. Just do it for a week and if you don’t lose more than 2 pounds, you can drink them again.

I started at 177 pounds and lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks doing strict keto (never more than 20 net carbs), eating 1200-1500 calories a day. This included one weekend of heavy cheating and drunkenness. I also drink at least 2 diet cokes/coke zeros a day.

If you're doing keto but not restricting calories you're not going to lose a lot.

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I do drink a LOT of Diet Coke. I asked once before if that would have any impact on ketosis but didn't get a reply. My guess is that it does not.

I'm no expert, but i used to drink easily 10-12 a day.    I have cut them out completely.    My guess is that the DC tricks our bodies into producing insulin which stops you from using body fat as energy and tells the body to store fat.    I have heard a few experts speak on it - but i dont' think there is hard science to back it up, but it makes sense.   Body senses sweet, spikes insulin - and boom, no weight loss.

Also, if you are/were a big fat person, and have lost 50-100 lbs a few times in your life (me) - you may be running around with elevated levels of insulin just as a normal way of living now.   Look into some fasting maybe.

On 4/26/2018 at 11:09 PM, futureman said:

steak and salad won’t hurt you.

Wrong. Hurt like a motherfucker. Holy shit. Woke up the next morning with a terrible stomach ache. Constant pain to the point where I just couldn’t get comfortable in any position. Sit at desk for five minutes. Give up. Sit in comfy chair for five minutes. Give up. Lay in bed for five minutes. Give up. Roll over for five minutes. Give up. Walk around the house for five minutes. Give up. Sit on the toilet for five minutes. Give up. Repeat this process for 12 hours straight. Puked a bunch too. Fuck. This was as bad as I’ve felt in my entire life. Then suddenly felt 100% better. Whew. 

Not sure what happened. Probably just a shock to my digestive system from all that fasting. Taking a break from fasting for a while. Been eating nothing but bagged salad kits and some scrambled eggs for several days now. Might mix in some alternate day fasting after my digestive system gets back to normal. 

Happy to be down 85. Still have some work to do though. 

Bernard

2 hours ago, Bernard said:

Wrong. Hurt like a motherfucker. Holy shit. Woke up the next morning with a terrible stomach ache. Constant pain to the point where I just couldn’t get comfortable in any position. Sit at desk for five minutes. Give up. Sit in comfy chair for five minutes. Give up. Lay in bed for five minutes. Give up. Roll over for five minutes. Give up. Walk around the house for five minutes. Give up. Sit on the toilet for five minutes. Give up. Repeat this process for 12 hours straight. Puked a bunch too. Fuck. This was as bad as I’ve felt in my entire life. Then suddenly felt 100% better. Whew. 

Not sure what happened. Probably just a shock to my digestive system from all that fasting. Taking a break from fasting for a while. Been eating nothing but bagged salad kits and some scrambled eggs for several days now. Might mix in some alternate day fasting after my digestive system gets back to normal. 

Happy to be down 85. Still have some work to do though. 

Bernard

so what does that make your current weight now?  

Started at 324. Weighed in last week at 239 before eating and getting sick. Haven't been on the scale since. I'd like to get down to 224, maybe lower. I'm 6'5" tall. 49 years old. 

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

13 months after my Hyrdostatic BF test and I'm up from 14.7 to 15.9.  Weight is up 2.2 lbs to 184.5.

At 43 yo that isn't bad but I wanted to get to 12%.  I think I'd have to get to under 180 to do that and I'm not that strict of a dieter.  

So the owner emailed me and said his tanks were off on their calibration.  I'm actually at 13.8% BF.  Up 2.6 lbs of lean and down 1.4 of fat.

Alright alright alright.  

• Like 3

On 4/1/2018 at 3:05 PM, bborange said:

Doing Keto.   Down 15lbs last month.  Looking to repeat the loss this month.   

Ended up down 14.4lbs in April. 

I will be happy with 8lbs this month as I will on the road a lot this month.  

• Like 2

Ok, i cant figure this shit out.

Went for a physical 9/2017 and my #'s were:

231 lbs (i am 6'2", 48 years old)

7.6 a1c

222 total chol

35HDL

222TRI

150LDL

Doc put me on metformin (1000mg/day).  Havent been super religious about it but take them 5-6 days per week.  Cleaned up my diet a little bit and added some weight training.  Went back in Jan/2018 and #'s (good improvement across the board):

228 lbs

6.9 a1c

206 total chol

43HDL

153TRI

135LDL

Went last week for another follow up (this stretch of time i was much worse with taking the metformin due to stupid work schedule, getting the flu twice and pure laziness).  However, did eat better and exercised a lot more...as you can see, dropped 22 LBS but #'s went way south.

206 LBS

7.6 a1c

255 total chol

41HDL

208TRI

177LDL

Also started taking red yeast rice 3-4 months ago.

I cant figure out the cholesterol numbers and the blood sugar uptick surprised me.  Diet is decent, not strict, but keep carbs low, havent had a soda in 6 months, drink 100oz of water per day.  I really dont want to lose any more weight, 200 is about perfect for me and the doc agreed.  I just want to get the blood sugar and cholesterol numbers down.  Doc suggested i go see a nutritionist, good idea? 

20 minutes ago, Elvis Presto said:

what was your fasting glucose?  That a1c indicates diabetes which is why i assume they put you on metformin.  You may just be predisposed to it and need to do your best to manage it. 

it averages 140-150'ish.  I test randomly and it can be as high as 200 after a really "bad" meal but morning/fasting is usually 140'ish.  And yes, thats why she put me on metformin (which really fucks up my stomach BTW...hate it). 

6 hours ago, chesthair said:

it averages 140-150'ish.  I test randomly and it can be as high as 200 after a really "bad" meal but morning/fasting is usually 140'ish.  And yes, thats why she put me on metformin (which really fucks up my stomach BTW...hate it). 

You're insulin resistant.  Are you doing strict Keto? It might help.

Down two more pounds to 295.  21.6 pounds lost in less than a month (28 days).

I think I'm having so much success due to getting my ass up and being more active and drinking no soda or carbonated stuff.  I'm probably consuming about 20 net carbs per day.  I haven't really been keeping track.  I have however cut out all grains/bread/pasta and eaten baked foods and veggies rather than fried.  I've eaten out once in the last month (aside from Vegas) and had a grilled shrimp caesar salad.  I don't eat breakfast (coffee with cream), Lunch is typically a spinach salad with a hardboiled egg or baked chicken breast with some broccoli.  Dinner is salmon with veggies (broccoli, squash, zucchini), chicken breast with veggies or a taco salad (seasoned beef on top of romaine or spring mix) with some shredded cheese.  If I get hungry around 8 or so in the evenings, I'll grab a handful of mixed nuts and chomp on those. 

Amazing what I can do if I really set my mind to it.  Cravings of bread are gone and I'm not really tempted by carbs/sugar right now.  I really haven't felt this good since college ('07-'11).  My wife is definitely noticing a difference in my appearance and attitude.  Amazing how much bad shit that used to get me down doesn't really effect me any more.  Total overall change that I'm still working on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

I think I'm having so much success due to getting my ass up and being more active and drinking no soda or carbonated stuff.  I'm probably consuming about 20 net carbs per day.  I haven't really been keeping track.  I have however cut out all grains/bread/pasta and eaten baked foods and veggies rather than fried.  I've eaten out once in the last month (aside from Vegas) and had a grilled shrimp caesar salad.  I don't eat breakfast (coffee with cream), Lunch is typically a spinach salad with a hardboiled egg or baked chicken breast with some broccoli.  Dinner is salmon with veggies (broccoli, squash, zucchini), chicken breast with veggies or a taco salad (seasoned beef on top of romaine or spring mix) with some shredded cheese.  If I get hungry around 8 or so in the evenings, I'll grab a handful of mixed nuts and chomp on those. 

Amazing what I can do if I really set my mind to it.  Cravings of bread are gone and I'm not really tempted by carbs/sugar right now.  I really haven't felt this good since college ('07-'11).  My wife is definitely noticing a difference in my appearance and attitude.  Amazing how much bad shit that used to get me down doesn't really effect me any more.  Total overall change that I'm still working on.

if you're skipping breakfast then you may as well not put cream in your coffee.  That way you fast longer and it will accelerate your fat loss. 

12 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

stay the course.  if you feel good now at almost 300 lbs think how great you’ll feel around 225.  I peaked around 295 and the effects on my joints and my sleep were awful.  lost a lot last year, down to 205-210 then started drinking and smoking dope at the end of the summer and gained back up to 240 by jan 1, 2018.  been keto in 2018 except for special occasions but otherwise diligent and back to 210.  kind of stalled out but I’m also lifting a lot so I assume some of the weight is added muscle.

getting out of the fat lifestyle can seem impossible when you’re in the middle of it but once you reach the other side it’s a great thing.  stay the course, man.  it’s improves all aspects of your life, not just physical.  and salmon gets old, you should treat yourself to a nice fatty ribeye for getting under three bills.  

• Like 1

Some supplements that helped me with constipation are magnesium, a little sodium bicarbonate mixed in water and cascara sagrada. I also found a daily raw carrot salad with some salt, vinegar and coconut oil helped keep shit pretty regular. The insoluble fiber of the carrots adds to the bulk and also helps stimulate peristalsis. The coconut oil, or even olive oil, should in theory work to sort of grease the wheels.

11 minutes ago, D_Goose said:

Some supplements that helped me with constipation are magnesium, a little sodium bicarbonate mixed in water and cascara sagrada. I also found a daily raw carrot salad with some salt, vinegar and coconut oil helped keep shit pretty regular. The insoluble fiber of the carrots adds to the bulk and also helps stimulate peristalsis. The coconut oil, or even olive oil, should in theory work to sort of grease the wheels.

For that matter drop a little MCT into whatever. It's like coconut oil but with more lube.

My life got a lot better when I admitted my age and started drinking prune juice on the slow days.

What are you keto guys doing for a pre-workout meal/snack?  I'm getting gassed about halfway through my workout (weight lifting days only, not really concerned about cardio days).  I go to the gym early in the morning and I am looking for something quick and easy (insert mom joke here).

2 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

What are you keto guys doing for a pre-workout meal/snack?  I'm getting gassed about halfway through my workout (weight lifting days only, not really concerned about cardio days).  I go to the gym early in the morning and I am looking for something quick and easy (insert mom joke here).

As mentioned before, I'm lazy keto.  I'll have butter coffee about an hour before my workout, and it's been enough to keep me going.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

As mentioned before, I'm lazy keto.  I'll have butter coffee about an hour before my workout, and it's been enough to keep me going.

is it absolutely necessary to use artisanal grass-fed butter for that or does it still work with land-o-lakes. 

8 hours ago, futureman said:

is it absolutely necessary to use artisanal grass-fed butter for that or does it still work with land-o-lakes. 

I don't know about absolutely necessary, but grass fed has more omega-3 and CLA. For pre-workout energy, you're probably fine with regular butter.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

Artisanal grass-fed butter? WTF!? Take it GM Steakhouse. 

I'm sorry, that's the lack of carbs talking. Started this keto journey this week. Great information on this thread. 

On 5/4/2018 at 4:14 PM, Moriarty said:

How long have you been on keto? It can take a few weeks for you to get completely fat adapted so you won't be hitting a wall midway through a workout. Check out /r/ketogains for more info. I've taken C4 before, sometimes I may just have a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattbu said:

How long have you been on keto? It can take a few weeks for you to get completely fat adapted so you won't be hitting a wall midway through a workout. Check out /r/ketogains for more info. I've taken C4 before, sometimes I may just have a cup of coffee.

About 6-7 weeks.  I’ll take a look at the ketogains - thanks

Just started keto a week ago. This isn’t my first time. I did it on and off from 2011-2015. Thought I’d get back on the wagon 

Anyway, anyone ever tried ThinSlims zero carb bread?

i had a fat snax cookie today. 2 net carbs. It was good 

Edited by Neonmoon

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Just started keto a week ago. This isn’t my first time. I did it on and off from 2011-2015. Thought I’d get back on the wagon 

I don’t trust gimmicky shit like that.  I still think it fucks with your insulin.  if you’re gonna do it, do it.  just eat eggs and bacon and steak and spinach and real foods.  no preprocessed crap full of sucralose and sugar alcohols.  if you’re doing it right you won’t be that hungry anyway.  

I’m pretty much done with keto. Lost 18 pounds in 8 weeks and am at my lowest weight since college. Now to start on a high carb/high protein/low fat diet for muscle building.

Gonna be weird to purposely eat at a surplus after so many years (off and on) eating 1200-1500 calories a day

On 5/6/2018 at 8:52 PM, Neonmoon said:

Not sure where you are at but there is a place that sells, keto/sugar free stuff like that in Richardson.  Prices are kind of high  but some of their  stuff is pretty tasty.

Don't get caught up trying to replace nice carb things with non-carb substitutes.  I've had cauliflower rice and it tastes like fucking chopped up cauliflower.  Fat Head Pizza doesn't taste like real pizza.  Embrace the actual non-carb foods.

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

You should be shitting like a goose with all those damn salads.

Yes indeed. I was eating 4-5 of those bagged salad kits a day. Digestive system is once again fully functional. One dump was so big I was pissed I didn't weigh myself before and after.

Bernard

Of course my weight fluctuates throughout the day and from day to day but over the last 5 or so days it's consistently been below and around 245 so I think I can say safely that I've dropped 15 since I started. That's a pound a week come rain or shine.

I'm not having any trouble maintaining the diet so I think I can expect that rate to continue until I hit a plateau of some sort. I might even exercise at that point. :)