2018 Body Transformation Thread

Autophagy talk not going away. It reminds me that years ago it was noted that tuna with elevated levels of mercury were not terribly affected by it unless they were under stress, that when food was scarce and they began to burn fat stores the mercury would be released (it was stored in the fat) and that was when it would poison them.

I'm pretty sure that the same holds true for humans, that we remove and then store a lot of toxins in our fat cells and it's not until we burn those cells that the toxins are released to cause their harm. What I wonder about is if the rate of release matters. That is to say, if we slowly burn the fat if the body is somehow better able to dispose of the toxins than if we starve ourselves and rapidly deplete fat stores.

Another question I've pondered is the effects of a high fat diet on the bacterium of the lower GI.

On 4/2/2018 at 12:09 AM, futureman said:

bernard do you exercise at all?  I’ve wanted to try and fast for a coupe weeks to knock out another 10 lbs or so but when I do it for more than a day I just can’t work out.  

No specific excercise. Just going about my daily business. 

Bernard

On 4/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, workswithseed said:

So Bernard was serious about not eating all day for a week?

Yes. I’ve done a bunch 7-10 day fasts. Eat for a bit. Then fast again. If you would have asked me in December, I’d have said it was impossible. Turns out it’s not  

Bernard

6 hours ago, Shenanigans said:

The Keto diet is the ketogenic diet. The idea is that you get the vast majority of your calories from fats (oils, cheese, nuts, fatty meats, butter) and severely restrict your carbohydrate intake. Macronutrient splits would typically look like 75% fats, 20% protein, 5% carbs. When you have been doing this for long enough your body will adapt and begin to use stored fats on your body as the primary energy source rather than the carbs that you have recently ingested. This process is called ketosis. Once this occurs it is easier to lose weight. Think of it as trying to convince your body that you are starving and that it needs to use the emergency fat stored in your body to survive.

Benefits of the keto diet is that due to the high fat diet, people often remain less hungry while eating less. It can take 1-4 weeks to enter ketosis, and once you are in, having a carb heavy cheat day can knock you out of it for multiple days until you return.

So it is a bit restrictive of a diet, but if you enjoy eggs, avocados, nuts, butter, bacon etc you likely won't have too much trouble with it.

You enter ketosis in 24-48 hours, not 1-4 weeks. 

And the more I read about Keto, the more I think there are two ketos.

1. Keto for fat people trying to lose weight: restrict carbs, eat your minimum protein, and then eat fat to satiety. The 75/20/5 ratios don't apply. The body is supplementing the dietary fat with your own.

2. Keto for maintenance: shoot for the 75/20/5 ratio. The body doesn't have fat stores to supplement your diet.

36 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

You enter ketosis in 24-48 hours, not 1-4 weeks. 

And the more I read about Keto, the more I think there are two ketos.

1. Keto for fat people trying to lose weight: restrict carbs, eat your minimum protein, and then eat fat to satiety. The 75/20/5 ratios don't apply. The body is supplementing the dietary fat with your own.

2. Keto for maintenance: shoot for the 75/20/5 ratio. The body doesn't have fat stores to supplement your diet.

Keto flu can last weeks, guess that's really what I'm talking about.

13 hours ago, Longhorn Al said:

It shouldn't.  Keto flu is just electrolyte depletion. Get on top of that and you won't suffer.

I haven't had Keto flu at all since I started.

Yea I had it for a couple of days when I first started but haven't had any issues since then. All over the internet people complain about it lasting for a long time. They might not be as vigilant on their food as they should though.

Time for me to start this journey as well.  I honestly need to lose about 100 pounds.  My wife probably needs to shed 15 or so (so she says).  I'd like to get to where I was in high school.  Currently at a 42 waist.  I'm going to do my official high weigh in this weekend and will post here.  I just turned 30 yesterday and have been thinking about getting my weight in check before something comes on down the line.  I work behind a desk all day so my activity level isn't great.  Need to boost that up in the mornings and evenings.

A big thing for me is soda.  I don't booze much but when I do, it's mainly non-low carb beer.  My wife is pretty informed regarding nutrition so I've asked for her help in cooking and lining up meals that are low in carbs and higher in proteins.  Snacks and sodas are going to have to go.  Just finished my last soda.

I'm hoping this thread will keep me accountable by having me document everything that goes on with weigh ins and progress.  Looking forward to it.  I'm sure once I start seeing some results, I'll start to feel better physically and mentally.  I've never really been concerned with watching what I eat/drink but it's time for a lifestyle change.

Edited by pearlandhorn

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Time for me to start this journey as well.  I honestly need to lose about 100 pounds.  My wife probably needs to shed 15 or so (so she says).  I'd like to get to where I was in high school.  Currently at a 42 waist.  I'm going to do my official high weigh in this weekend and will post here.  I just turned 30 yesterday and have been thinking about getting my weight in check before something comes on down the line.  I work behind a desk all day so my activity level isn't great.  Need to boost that up in the mornings and evenings.

A big thing for me is soda.  I don't booze much but when I do, it's mainly non-low carb beer.  My wife is pretty informed regarding nutrition so I've asked for her help in cooking and lining up meals that are low in carbs and higher in proteins.  Snacks and sodas are going to have to go.  Just finished my last soda.

I'm hoping this thread will keep me accountable by having me document everything that goes on with weigh ins and progress.  Looking forward to it.  I'm sure once I start seeing some results, I'll start to feel better physically and mentally.  I've never really been concerned with watching what I eat/drink but it's time for a lifestyle change.

Try switching to flavored sparkling water.  Waterloo is an Austin company and tastes amazing too.  Haven't had a soda in years because of it, flavored sparkling water that is.

Currently at a 42 waist. 

My 42 waist Levi's could technically be buttoned in December, but were WAY to tight to actually be worn in public. By the end of January, they fit nicely. Then they got loose. Ordered another pair in size 40. Been wearing those for a while. Now they are getting a bit loose. Amazon just delivered a new pair in size 38. They are wearable, but a tad on the snug side. I expect them to fit nicely soon.

Bernard 

• Like 2

For you guys on Keto - I’ve been on it for a few weeks now with a nice steady drop in weight.  I read where symptoms of the keto flu may include diarrhea.  I don’t really feel bad, but this shit is getting ridiculous (pun intended).  Any advice, including surly, is appreciated.

1 minute ago, Moriarty said:

For you guys on Keto - I’ve been on it for a few weeks now with a nice steady drop in weight.  I read where symptoms of the keto flu may include diarrhea.  I don’t really feel bad, but this shit is getting ridiculous (pun intended).  Any advice, including surly, is appreciated.

I've read that if you go on a Keto or another high-fat diet without easing into it you can get some GI issues. 

• Like 1

I've never heard that it's a symptom of the keto flu, but because you're eating a lot more oil and fats than you're probably accustomed to. Although, if you are having frequent diarrhea you need to keep a close eye on your water in-take and electrolytes because it makes it a lot easier to become dehydrated, which is what the keto flu is. Eat more fiber, spinach and celery are pretty good options. Take it slowly if you're adding things like MCT oil to your coffee or whatever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

What are you eating? Anything high in sugar alcohols?

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 10:00 PM, Llano Estacado said:

I’m largely an observer in this thread, but the fact that some of y’all are willing to pay high dollar for EXOgenous ketones is bizarre to me.

Indeed.  My fiance brought home a plastic baggie filled with about 2 dozen samples of various powders containing ketones/caffeine.  She swears that when she drinks one in the morning that she thinks more clearly and has more energy and focus.  Then she comments "well a box of 20 of these is like $130" or $6.50 each.  I asked her where she got them and it turns out a friend's sister is selling them - much like the MLM model like Advocare.

This morning she mixed up one chocolate flavored packet with Almond milk and I gotta admit it tastes pretty good.

I'm 11 days shy of basically being keto for 3 years, and I've always considered this stuff to be like snake oil.  I doubt I'll spend money on it, but it's interesting nonetheless.

re: keto flu - I never have less than 3 jars of claussen pickles in my fridge nowadays, I take a hit off the bottle and a few spears about twice a day. Add a Magnesium Maleate pill and some nu salt added to a pint water bottle and I'm good to go.

Edited by BearSchlong

30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've read that if you go on a Keto or another high-fat diet without easing into it you can get some GI issues. 

Yea, I didn't do much easing into this...

27 minutes ago, mattbu said:

I've never heard that it's a symptom of the keto flu, but because you're eating a lot more oil and fats than you're probably accustomed to. Although, if you are having frequent diarrhea you need to keep a close eye on your water in-take and electrolytes because it makes it a lot easier to become dehydrated, which is what the keto flu is. Eat more fiber, spinach and celery are pretty good options. Take it slowly if you're adding things like MCT oil to your coffee or whatever.

I've upped my water intake but could use more fiber/good vegetables in my diet.  Only using the MCT in my coffee when I skip breakfast.

26 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

What are you eating? Anything high in sugar alcohols?

Funny you should mention that, first I had to look up what a sugar alcohol was, but then saw that they were in these mints I've been eating that are laying around the office.  I will drop those for sure.

13 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

If you're getting much exercise it could just be the body shedding water. I know when I did a diet similar to keto years ago I was pretty active and pissed out my butthole a LOT. Lost the hell out of some weight though.

3 days a week, a little cardio, mainly weights.  Plan on adding some more cardio.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

If you're getting much exercise it could just be the body shedding water. I know when I did a diet similar to keto years ago I was pretty active and pissed out my butthole a LOT. Lost the hell out of some weight though.

Seems like I need this flu. I seem to poop every 2 days and is usually hard , has gotten softer since dieting. 

7 hours ago, South Austin said:

My GI issues largely went away giving up bread and sugars.  I think I was taxing my liver and spleen with too much sugar that I wasn't able to digest fats easily.  Dropping the carbs made it easier for me to digest fats.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

My GI issues largely went away giving up bread and sugars.  I think I was taxing my liver and spleen with too much sugar that I wasn't able to digest fats easily.  Dropping the carbs made it easier for me to digest fats.

I had the same issue.  I thought I had IBS, because every time I ate, the urge to go to the bathroom came suddenly.  I always had to know where the bathroom was for fear of not making it on time.

13 hours ago, AngryBevo said:

Keto flu only last about 3 days for me but I made sure to get enough electrolytes.  Takes a little getting used to drinking salty water to get them all in but tasty pretty good after a while.

Water + lite salt + a squeeze of Mio tastes pretty much like Gatorade, btw. No cals, no sugar

• Like 1

316.6 as of Friday afternoon.

Hard to believe I’ve let myself get this bad. Started low carb lifestyle change and exercised over the weekend. Just stepped on the scale. 311.1 as of Monday morning before work. I would imagine 3 pounds of that is water as I’ve been pissing like a racehorse. Apparently that’s normal. Felt like total shit last night but powered through and feel OK this morning. I’m training my body to burn stored fat rather than carb intake.

I have to tell myself that this gets easier and it has over the course of 3 days. Keep on the right path and I can see the rewards.

Good job, first week or so is the hardest because you feel sluggish. Keep at it and it's easier as it goes along. If you haven't already, check out /r/keto or /r/ketogains and set up your macros. Use either Cronometer or MyFitnessPal to track your net carbs and the rest of your macros. For the first couple of weeks, I'd just focus on being sure you're under 25g of net carbs a day. After you get used to that, try and nail down the rest of your macros a bit better and find a good caloric deficit that you can comfortably hit everyday. 

If you're experiencing that then you're having the keto flu. Drink or eat electrolytes and you'll feel better. Go to the grocery store and get a salt that's called Morton's Lite Salt. It will have both sodium and potassium. I like to mix it with water and lemonade flavored Mio. Also, you may want to have a cup of bone broth a day too. Eat an avocado or dip some pork rinds in guacamole. 

You're on the right track, you just need to be sure you're staying on top of your electrolytes. My wife had a co-worker that switched to a ketogenic diet and ended up in the hospital a couple of times because she wasn't managing hers properly, but I think she had some other stuff going on as well.

Edited by mattbu

1 hour ago, mattbu said:

If you're experiencing that then you're having the keto flu. Drink or eat electrolytes and you'll feel better. Go to the grocery store and get a salt that's called Morton's Lite Salt. It will have both sodium and potassium. I like to mix it with water and lemonade flavored Mio. Also, you may want to have a cup of bone broth a day too. Eat an avocado or dip some pork rinds in guacamole. 

You're on the right track, you just need to be sure you're staying on top of your electrolytes. My wife had a co-worker that switched to a ketogenic diet and ended up in the hospital a couple of times because she wasn't managing hers properly, but I think she had some other stuff going on as well.

Thanks for the tip.  Gave my wife that information who is feeling like absolute shit right now.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, El Diablo said:

Since everybody except for Bernard is eating at some point here's some recipes for cabbage. For the good shits.

https://greatist.com/eat/easy-cabbage-recipes

Cabbage sauteed with bacon grease is not on the list.  The garlic-roasted cabbage wedges sounds pretty good though.

Big changes to your diet are going to have some affect on how your body digests foods. Changing to a high fat diet is going to take a bit of time to get used to, but eventually things should settle down in a few weeks. As someone mentioned before, certain kinds of sugar alcohols can give you the shits, so can a lot of whey protein.

47 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Cabbage sauteed with bacon grease is not on the list.  The garlic-roasted cabbage wedges sounds pretty good though.

Yeah, cabbage in bacon drippings is a southern standard. The reason I posted the cabbage talk was I had a knock on my door and it was a neighbor giving away heads of cabbage. Bit weird but I took one.

This is a pretty interesting article that I just came across. It talks about the whoosh effect, and how it's from water retention after you burn fat. It mentions one of the ways to trigger it can be to have a bigger meal than normal, but it's not something that necessary as your body will keep burning fat and eventually do it on it's own.

http://www.lowcarbkitchen.us/the-whoosh-effect-burnings-fat-and-losing-weight-dont-happen-simultaneously/

On 4/6/2018 at 2:36 PM, workswithseed said:

Seems like I need this flu. I seem to poop every 2 days and is usually hard , has gotten softer since dieting. 

I'm the opposite.  I would shit a minimum 2-3 times a day.  In pretty decent quantities.  But since dieting I have been stopped up like a mother.  I have to take laxatives just to keep the plumbing working.  But that's not the kind of shitting I prefer.

I may be pregnant. I'm frying bacon as that's a regular part of my diet now and there's several different spices on the counter nearby. I picked up the chili powder and sprinkled about half the slices in the skillet with it. I'll report back. Having a pickle right now. 

32 minutes ago, deft said:

Chili powder dusted bacon doesn’t sound horrible. I don’t “season” my bacon at all tho. Seems unnecessary.

Yeah, I don't know what got into me, I think I was just cooking while hungry. It wasn't bad at all. I've never had the urge to season my bacon before.