2018 Body Transformation Thread

How long have you been working with a trainer, diablo? When you hit a plateau like that (especially if it is prolonged) it's time to vary diet or exercise (or both). If your gym routine stays the same, your body becomes more efficient over time as it adapts to the challenge, and you may not see the same results. 

Are you using anything to track your diet? If not, there are plenty to choose from (my fitness pal) that can help you try to pinpoint why you are stalling out. A slight change may be all it takes to kick things back into gear. Keep at it. 

6 hours ago, Player said:

How long have you been working with a trainer, diablo? When you hit a plateau like that (especially if it is prolonged) it's time to vary diet or exercise (or both). If your gym routine stays the same, your body becomes more efficient over time as it adapts to the challenge, and you may not see the same results. 

Are you using anything to track your diet? If not, there are plenty to choose from (my fitness pal) that can help you try to pinpoint why you are stalling out. A slight change may be all it takes to kick things back into gear. Keep at it. 

Just started. And I'm not really working with her, she's a friend who's provided some guidance. I have not been tracking my diet but I almost literally eat the same thing every day and have been since January. I skip breakfast and have a half pot of coffee with heavy cream and a pat of butter. A salad for lunch. Dinner is pork rinds and a few spoonfuls of peanut butter. If I get hungry in between I'll eat a tin of sardines. Sometimes I'll buy a salmon filet and have that for dinner. Not much deviation from that. 

I think that as my endurance builds I'll be able to workout longer in the gym and be able to get the train rolling again and at a faster clip. Newtons 1st law of motion is a motherfucker.

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

That's kinda where I'm at. The only thing I can think of that I MIGHT want to collect data on is my heartrate and knowing if I had it in the target zone and for how long. That's about it. Do they even do that?

They do. I enjoy having mine. You should be aware that the HR monitoring is not particularly accurate. I have the fitbit charge 2 and it can take quite a while to get to my actual heartrate.

The real benefit comes if you are motivated by metrics and as a reminder of how (in)active you've been over a certain time frame. I love seeing the graphs and charts. There have been countless days that I've noticed that I haven't moved much this week so I've gone out of my way to make sure I have active weekends.

But basically yes, it is a pedometer. It counts how many steps you've taken. The heart-rate monitoring and sleep tracking is neat though.

I like my Fitbit. It may not be accurate in an absolute sense, but I like it it for comparing one workout to the next. I think the heartrate monitor is accurate enough to use.

If you're looking to up your game further, start tracking your Heartrate Variability. It helps you stay "fresh" and makes you more productive in your workouts.

Welp, looks like I'm leaving 2018 about 25 pounds lighter than I came into it. 2019 is around the corner and I am hopeful that with maintaining the diet that I've been on and the recent addition of going to the gym I can replicate the loss from this year. I'm pushing 60 years so this shit gets harder and harder to shed.

Congrats to all for any progress made towards your goals this year and thanks for all of the support.

• Like 4

^^^^

I'm just about on the same page, except I haven't even bothered to step on a scale in a while. Anything from 199-206 wouldn't surprise me.

Too many company outings, get-togethers with family and friends, and upcoming football games to even try and keep things under wraps these past 2 weeks. My clothes still fit (snugly) so I assume I haven't completely gone off the deep end, but I've got a lot of work to do come New Years.

Wife and I both decided to do something hard and are gonna try doing a No Drink January. Starting 1/2 and hopefully making it all the way til I have to go to a client thing out of town on the 29th. 

27 days off the sauce should hopefully keep me focused on eating right and exercising each day. I figure if I actually stick to it, I can drop 10+ lbs of Holiday weight by the time my trip rolls around.

22 hours ago, GottaB said:

Holidays got me. Time to refocus. 12 pounds up from my 2018 low (194) 6 pounds up since thanksgiving.
With a goal weight of 190 I have some work to do.

I put on THIRTEEN pounds last year between November and December. That's what finally pushed me into joining this party this year. I've behaved pretty well all things considered this holiday season but there's been a lot of cookies and candies set out at work and I've partaken of some of that. Not enough to put on any extra weight really but I have to watch myself around the carbs, it seems like I can just look at bread etc... and gain weight. My downfall last year was twofold - I had a surgically repaired colon and was making maximum use of it and had a co-worker whose Gma was making and selling tamales. I was buying a few dozen a week and inhaling them. Sigh. It was fun, I won't lie, but I paid a price at the waistline.

Went from 255 to 190 in 2018.  Biking, morning walks, gym(cardio, swimming, light weights - no stopping while at gym) most days all year.  Got stuck at 225 for aug and sept due to work and female stress but quit alcohol and doubled down on intermittent fasting starting in October.  Limited calories and slowed down on exercise a bit nov and dec...fat just melted off.  I'm 44 in a week.  Thanks for the motivation that this thread provided. 

Keep up the great work.  2019 I'll focus on getting stronger and keeping my good habits.  Or I'll gain it all back.  We'll see.  Cheers.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kibbles said:

Went from 255 to 190 in 2018.  Biking, morning walks, gym(cardio, swimming, light weights - no stopping while at gym) most days all year.  Got stuck at 225 for aug and sept due to work and female stress but quit alcohol and doubled down on intermittent fasting starting in October.  Limited calories and slowed down on exercise a bit nov and dec...fat just melted off.  I'm 44 in a week.  Thanks for the motivation that this thread provided. 

Keep up the great work.  2019 I'll focus on getting stronger and keeping my good habits.  Or I'll gain it all back.  We'll see.  Cheers.

That is badass work! Will wait for one of the diehards to start the new thread tomorrow, but wish everyone success in 2019!