2018 Body Transformation Thread

5 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

I’m fasting today for the first time - sort of an experiment mixed with thoughtfulness on Good Friday. I know - one day is no big deal, but you gotta start somewhere.

Plus, yesterday I went off the rails and had Raising Canes for lunch. Dammit.

That's okay yesterday I jogged a mile and walked another. I'm a bit sore today.

I was at my heaviest, 230 in Jan. Started keto with the life, lost 15 lbs pretty easy over a couple of months with some cheat days (weekends) mixed it. Motivated by some on here like Bernard started the fasting thing. After 10 days, I lost 20 more lbs to get to 195 for the first time since mid 20s.

The fasting thing was interesting. First 2-3 days were the hardest for sure. After that, it kind of felt like I had a lump in the middle of gut, similar to being a little bloated. If I was busy, then I hardly noticed it. If I saw food, didn't really matter. Now, if I smelled food, something triggered in my brain, and I felt uncomfortable again. The biggest key was to pound water all day every day. For one, it kept the "hunger pains" down. But, it seemed like, especially towards the end of the 10 days, I was more dehydrated as the day went on. I wanted to go 14 days, but the last two nights, I started to get several cramps at night in my feet/legs, leading to not getting enough sleep, leading to having a harder day. Still, I was happy with the results. Oh, I allowed myself coffee during this also. Sometimes I would put a touch of cream in it. Coffee helped a ton with the morning sluggishness for me.

I don't know if I would recommend it for everyone. If you are active during the day, I think it would drain you too much. I'm at a desk mostly, and I didn't have any expected travel, so I thought it would be a good time. One Saturday we went to a nephew's baseball game, so I was chasing the 3 and 1 year old for a few hours. The next morning, I felt hungover. 

I'm going to eat some tacos and drink some whisky then start keto again Monday hoping to lose 15ish more. Good luck everyone, I enjoy reading about everyone's journey. 

I think for some people it would be really difficult. Just based on their body/health, stress level, daily activity, etc. I tried one of those 500 cal diets one time, and that was much harder than fasting for me.

Along with the keto I'm doing intermittent fasting.

I eat one time a day in about a 1-2 hr window.  It'll fuck with you the first couple of days, but after that you just aren't hungry whatsoever.  Grub time comes around, you chow down on a big ass meal, and then you forget about food until the next day.

Someone on the old board mentioned exogenous keytones. . .I've always been leery thinking it to be snake oil, but the woman ordered some.  The jury is still out but for energy it really does help.
Anyone else tried anything like this? 
41RPX6nZ0NL._AC_US218_.jpg

Yes sir. We talked about it upthread.

KetoOs was expensive and I use Perfect Keto to help transition back in after slipping out of keto.

so im at the end of week 2 of fasting.   That is, fasting 6 days and eating keto on the 7th.    So since the 17th of march all i have eaten is 2 eggs, about 4 oz of steak and a salad with a little chicken on top.    It has been great.    Tomorrow is my planned eating day, so probably going to make a brisket as my youngest is in town.   

I am down since March 17th 19lbs, and 35 lbs total for march (i was doing 500 cals a day since march 1st)

Going to isla in mid May so hoping to lose 35-40 more by then with this 6 off 1 day eating - and will be pretty close to acceptable weight for me.   

Checking in for the first post on the new board. I hit a plateau for about a month and a half or so where I was stuck at around 255-260. I hadn't really changed much, eating about the same on keto (1650-2000 cal, 175 protein, 25 carbs, 130 fat) and working out 6 days a week. Around mid February, my body started losing again and I'm now down to 245. You just gotta keep at it and not get discouraged by stalls.

Watched this video the other day about IF and fasting. There was some pretty good info in it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mattbu said:

Checking in for the first post on the new board. I hit a plateau for about a month and a half or so where I was stuck at around 255-260. I hadn't really changed much, eating about the same on keto (1650-2000 cal, 175 protein, 25 carbs, 130 fat) and working out 6 days a week. Around mid February, my body started losing again and I'm now down to 245. You just gotta keep at it and not get discouraged by stalls.

Watched this video the other day about IF and fasting. There was some pretty good info in it.

Don't forget to keep reducing your calorie intake as you lose weight or you will fall back into the maintenance range again.  I was probably at about 3000 calories (just a guess) day before I started and it maintained me at 196-199.  When I started Keto I dropped to the 900-1300 range for calories in addition to getting the sugars out.

Yes sir. We talked about it upthread.

KetoOs was expensive and I use Perfect Keto to help transition back in after slipping out of keto.
Saw this article or a similar one recently on flipboard. Iirc it's being marketed to the military but will be available to the public soon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/545129/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sister came in from Cali today. Straight from airport to Pappasito’s. Kept it pretty keto: guacamole, ceviche, bacon wrapped shrimp, shared some of sis’s fajita meat. I drank iced tea while she’s downing beers. Next fast starts after mom’s 75th birthday on Tuesday. Still hovering around 75 pounds  lost  

Bernard

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, lonestarsooner said:

Well, as good a place as any for my first post on the new site.  I was in on the 2017 thread and did really well.  Lost 20 pounds or so on it, partly by being accountable to myself on that thread.  Then Harvey came in August and fucked up my world.  Fell off the wagon, got ran over by it, backed up over me and ran over me a couple more times.  Cliff notes version is that I'm back up to about what I started at in the 2017 thread, 220.  Fuck me.  Okay, time to start again.  I'm in.  Finished moving everything from the old house today.  In the new house, close on the old one on 4/3 and life is getting back to pseudo-normal, or the new normal, or whatever the hell normal passes for these days.  Goal is to get down to 195.  Had gotten to 202 pre-Harvey.  Coaching my son's baseball team and umpiring and need to get back in shape to keep doing both of those for a long time.

Monday update.  Pretty decent 1st week back on the wagon last week.  Ate better.  Not perfect but better.  Actually exercised every night at the hotel instead of laying in bed watching television.  Started last week at 219.4.  215.2 this morning so down 4+ pounds.  Yep, a lot of water weight as always the first week but I'll take it and keep going.  Here's to another good week this week.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I'll join. I could probably stand to drop somewhere between 20-30 lbs. Today is the first day of getting on the good and booze semi-wagon. I'll probably do some form of Paleo or Whole30, since I've done both and they're similar anyway, and it's a diet I'm used to...I haven't gotten back to working out yet because the 4 month old kiddo isn't giving me a lot of time options for doing so, but might as well jump into this motherfucker. I'm probably about 240 or 250. Historically, without exercise, it takes me about 2 weeks for the body to start getting rolling at weight loss, so no time like the present.

Going to limit myself to vodka and sodas on the weekends for drinking and try to be strict. I cooked up about 30-40 chicken tenders on the grill yesterday and a huge costco salmon, so that with vegetables and lettuce is going to be my food for the week. Lets see how this goes, gents. 

Day 3 of Whole30 and you'll want to murder someone.

Ate brisket and beef rib on saturday lunch, then at about 5 cut some of the beef rib up at the house, dusted in some rub and kind of did ghetto burnt ends, and ate with costco green chili queso.    Twas the tits.

Started a 14 day fast on sunday.   A week is really easy, so going to push for another week.  

Going to astros game today - not drinking beer there will be new.

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Ate brisket and beef rib on saturday lunch, then at about 5 cut some of the beef rib up at the house, dusted in some rub and kind of did ghetto burnt ends, and ate with costco green chili queso.    Twas the tits.

Started a 14 day fast on sunday.   A week is really easy, so going to push for another week.  

Going to astros game today - not drinking beer there will be new.

So Bernard was serious about not eating all day for a week?

Edited by workswithseed

Freaking dig this thread.

Started working out (lightly) about three years ago. For once in my life I didn't try to create quick results. Just added a little bit more exercise gradually, increased my water intake, and allowed myself to start becoming a bit less attached to food and drink.

I've had some brief periods where I exercised a bit less and ate a bit more, but overall I've lost 15lbs, but probably lost 25lbs of muscle and gained 10lbs of fat. The great thing is that I don't have a wagon to get "off" of, and I can only go up from here. I still eat incredibly unhealthy things from time to time, when the spirit moves me, and when I'm on business trips, there's often a considerable amount of drinking involved.

These days, working out involves a lot of really challenging exercises that I would have previously thought impossible. I've become a big fan of bodyweight exercises: pistol squats, one arm pushups, etc. It's fun, too.

I suppose I'm in the "get fit slowly" camp. I could still stand to lose about 10lbs of flab (currently 6'0 and ~190lbs), so for a few months I'm going to experiment with avoiding bread (and beer, which is really just liquified bread).

Edited by ndawg

On 4/2/2018 at 1:34 PM, Big D said:

When you guys are fasting are you drinking water?  Just wondering.

are you crazy?  and put on all that water weight?  

your body doesn’t actually use water for anything anyway; big marketing just wants you wasting money on all those plastic bottles. 

do any of the participants in the week-long fasting camp exercise or engage in other healthy practices? this isn’t intended to be inflammatory but i find it hard, if not impossible, to believe that taking an extreme approach to weight management by restricting caloric intake to near zero for a week at a time and surviving only on water and gum is a sustainable practice long term. 

i would personally much rather see smaller incremental benefits resulting from the development of consistent exercise and good eating habits than greater temporary weight loss from week-long starvation benders. but, maybe i’m mistaken.

i’m interested in hearing the group’s opinions, though, as there may be considerations i haven’t thought of.

Last I was aware Tim Ferris was advocating a 3-day fast once a month and then was doing maybe a handful of longer ones (don't remember/know how long) at other times throughout the year. I'm pretty sure he's based that practice at least in some part on the suggestions of Art DeVany.

Irc he's also been very cautious w/ the longer ones, like constant biomarker/vitals monitoring, etc.

Can someone take me to school on the reason you're fasting?  or wtf keto is?  Finally hit my mid 30's year and can't lift like I used to.  My joints are really starting to feel it.

I'm still in good shape, but want to keep up with it for maintenance reasons.  Have two kids and heart conditions run in the family so I try to take care of myself for their sake.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

Intermittent fasting question for you experts:  On the Joe Rogan podcast they were saying that coffee breaks a fast.  My question is does medication break a fast?  Supplements?   I usually take a BP pill in the AM and take all my supplements.  I thought anything other than water broke a fast but not sure what meds & supplements do. I guess i could wait to take them. 

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Can someone take me to school on the reason you're fasting?  or wtf keto is?  Finally hit my mid 30's year and can't lift like I used to.  My joints are really starting to feel it.

I'm still in good shape, but want to keep up with it for maintenance reasons.  Have two kids and heart conditions run in the family so I try to take care of myself for their sake.

The Keto diet is the ketogenic diet. The idea is that you get the vast majority of your calories from fats (oils, cheese, nuts, fatty meats, butter) and severely restrict your carbohydrate intake. Macronutrient splits would typically look like 75% fats, 20% protein, 5% carbs. When you have been doing this for long enough your body will adapt and begin to use stored fats on your body as the primary energy source rather than the carbs that you have recently ingested. This process is called ketosis. Once this occurs it is easier to lose weight. Think of it as trying to convince your body that you are starving and that it needs to use the emergency fat stored in your body to survive.

Benefits of the keto diet is that due to the high fat diet, people often remain less hungry while eating less. It can take 1-4 weeks to enter ketosis, and once you are in, having a carb heavy cheat day can knock you out of it for multiple days until you return.

So it is a bit restrictive of a diet, but if you enjoy eggs, avocados, nuts, butter, bacon etc you likely won't have too much trouble with it.

The idea of fasting really isn't that crazy.  People have been doing it for 10000 years.   The idea of 6 small meals where your insulin never goes down is what is crazy.   We weren't designed to work like that.

And fasting can be a life time thing -  once you are at your goal weight, you can easily incorporate it into your life - whether by 16:8  or every other day etc.  You can still work out.  No you aren't to build big muscles in the gym while doing it, but normal running 3-5 miles, no big deal.

But for people that are 50-150 lbs over weight it can change their lives - for years everyone has been told to just eat less calories and move more - we have 30-40 years now of evidence that for the majority of the population, that it doesn't work.    Reduce calories, you reduce your metabolic rate, go back to eating normally, gain it all back.      Fasting may not be for everyone, but for those that can be helped by it, its great.

Plus there are other benefits as well,  Autophagy (which a guy won the nobel prize in medicine in 2016 for), mental clarity, euphoria and plus its free.

1 hour ago, Elvis Presto said:

Intermittent fasting question for you experts:  On the Joe Rogan podcast they were saying that coffee breaks a fast.  My question is does medication break a fast?  Supplements?   I usually take a BP pill in the AM and take all my supplements.  I thought anything other than water broke a fast but not sure what meds & supplements do. I guess i could wait to take them. 

Probably depends on why you are fasting.  If you are trying to keep glycogen stores low and/or trying to lose weight, black coffee isn't going to bother you.  Don't know about autophagy.

2 hours ago, Elvis Presto said:

Definition of fast

intransitive verb

1: to abstain from food

2: to eat sparingly or abstain from some foods

Fast however works for you... I have coffee for breakfast and broth/bullion for lunch.  If I'm hungry, I'll add some cream or butter.  Then, I eat a keto dinner.  I'm rarely hungry and losing weight.

• Like 1

I’ve done keto off and on for a few years and was down 30lbs average from the start. I’d be able to maintain keto for a month or so and then have something (work dinner/HH, holidays/vacation ) knock me off. 

I changed it up this year and put some money down through healthywage.com. I pledged $100 a month for 6 months to get $1,240 back if I lose 40lbs. I also did 3 6% lost in 3 months challenges that paid about $85 for $60 wagered.

Started keto in January and got back to the gym more regularly (~3 times a week). Hit 30lbs lost beginning of March, but gained some back with a March madness Vegas trip and cheating on the weekends. I’m back to my low weight today and think I should be able to hit the 40lb mark pretty easily by  the late June weigh-in. 

The key difference for me this year is the cash. I expected it to be a motivator, but it’s working better than expected. It’s easier to get back to diet and exercise knowing there’s a goal with money on the line. Definitely would recommend to anyone looking for more incentive to change.

Edited by bigcigar