John Lewis has died

Pancho

Ten years ago, I traveled to Selma with several history teachers and I walked across the Edmund Pettis Bridge. I knew then, and I am reminded tonight, that I walked in the shadows of giants. I am sad tonight at the passing of this hero, but more than that, I am sad that as a country we still haven't met the goals he worked for.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

There's a picture of them on the bridge. Cops with batons coming at them. Walking slowly. Finger in the air. 

"You gotta go."

No

We stand here. 

Blood on the bridge. Wearing coat and tie.

Here we stand. 

EdLbw_HWoAAIbiZ?format=jpg&name=small

Front and center, knowing that a beating (and probably death) is coming. 

Hoping... Believing that it will make a difference. That he would make a difference. That the world would change... 

And it did. And he did. And it is. 

Courage. Hope. Good trouble. 

Rest in power. And thank you. 

• Like 2

Just now, NWBuck said:

EdLbw_HWoAAIbiZ?format=jpg&name=small

Front and center, knowing that a beating (and probably death) is coming. 

Hoping... Believing that it will make a difference. That he would make a difference. That the world would change... 

And it did. And he did. And it is. 

Courage. Hope. Good trouble. 

Rest in power. And thank you. 

That's it.

Look in the background. There we are. 

Or I hope so. And who of us stood in the foreground? Someone else was there. Some human being was RIGHT FUCKING THERE.

Survive you mfers.

I'm going to goad everyone I get near to go fucking vote. If he left no other mark upon me, that's going to stick. 

• Like 2

I'm sure dotard will have a sincere and honest acknowledgement of his service to our country via tweet soon.

At least we have Barack Obama.

b6411e4e82323f2cbd9352d274c2874c.jpg
25251eb5c18ecec57065507b35d1a9cd.jpg
2f6535f1dd95a8dfb5054a074bc62d41.jpg

It’s a shame that because of America’s failure in fighting coronavirus that Representative Lewis won’t get the memorial service his legendary life deserves.
  • Like 2

RIP John Lewis, a powerful man just made his last march.  We'll miss your courage, strength and wisdom.  Really sad day losing a leader.  We need more like him, people that not only look into the face of brutality but do so willingly, unarmed except for what they carry inside.  A real punch in the gut loss for humanity, with few if any replacements.   

• Like 1

RIP to an American hero. That guy put himself on the line time and time again. I was watching a tribute last night, I think it was on CNN, and they showed a montage of stills where he had bandages on his head from beatings suffered during protests. To keep on with your mission when regularly getting your head kicked in takes tremendous courage and strength.

We've come so far but still have so far to go. He got to see the first black President, but he also witnessed the rise of Trump. He got to stand on a street in our nation's Capitol labeled, "Black Lives Matter," a sentiment echoed in protests around the world, but all that came about because another unarmed black man was murdered on the street by the police. While the world watched. 

It's a shame Congressman Lewis couldn't live to see the fall of Trump. Same for Elijah Cummings. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 3

That's it.
Look in the background. There we are. 
Or I hope so. And who of us stood in the foreground? Someone else was there. Some human being was RIGHT FUCKING THERE.
Survive you mfers.
I'm going to goad everyone I get near to go fucking vote. If he left no other mark upon me, that's going to stick. 

Wait what? You’re not saying you were there are you?

I met him once. He took the full 30 minutes, asked good questions, and was gracious and warm.  That’s not a small thing, a lot of MOC can’t manage to GAF and be engaged for 5 minutes.  Usually I’d rather meet with staff. I was star struck the whole time. 

Rest In Peace. 

• Like 5

Mr. Lewis exemplifies real courage.  Not the fake "stand in front of the state Capitol in my faux camo with my tinker toy gun slung" kind that we have today.  The kind of courage that is willing to face a beat down or even death to be on the right side of making life better for us all.

Godspeed Mr. Lewis.  Let there be true peace, love for all and tranquility where you are now. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rougarou said:

I had no idea who this guy was; been reading about him the last hour. RIP.

This is no way an attack on you. At all.

How the living fuck can the education system allow anyone to not know one of the greatest Americans to ever live? I bet you learned intricate details about the battle of Gettysburg but nothing about the goddamn freedom marches. It’s maddening.

/rant

• Like 1