John Lewis has died

Pancho

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

So heartfelt and meaningful. 

"to HE and his family."???  Where John is, HE doesn't need them.  HE is just fine, having lived a rich and impactful life the likes of which will rarely be seen again in my lifetime. 

RIP, Congressman Lewis.  Your watch has ended.  And so, we thank you.   

Edited by Lobo

I HIGHLY recommend the first episode of Letterman's serious talk show series on Netflix with Barack Obama.  John Lewis and Bloody Sunday are a major component and it is really powerful.

Edited by scottsins
  • Like 1

I was originally going to go to the beach today because of the heat. With his passing I think the best way to honor Congressman Lewis is to go and protest so that’s what I am doing all day instead. He spent more than 60 years of his life fighting for equality in all facets of life. He was beaten repeatedly by racists hellbent on shutting him up. He took the beatings and kept on pushing forward. I cannot think of a better example of what we should all strive to be.

The least any of us can do is to get out and do what was second nature to him and protest and advocate for those who do not have a voice anymore as well as people still here who are treated as still being less than because of the color of their skin. If he can get out like he did in June and still be there supporting a new generation of protestors, while battling stage IV cancer, I think the rest of us owe it to him to do the same, even if only for a day for some.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

All the Cubans look alike.  

"Uh sir, Matt Gaetz isn't Cuban."

Fine, all Cubans and people domiciling Cuban boys in their homes look alike.  Are we done here?  

I had a conversation this morning with the Macanudo-ettes about John Lewis, his work, his trials and tribulations and good trouble.  

Both of them were moved by the picture facing down the police.  I'm trying to raise them believing in a world of equality but it's not easy with the nincompoop who is in charge of this country right now.

• Like 5

I had a conversation this morning with the Macanudo-ettes about John Lewis, his work, his trials and tribulations and good trouble.  
Both of them were moved by the picture facing down the police.  I'm trying to raise them believing in a world of equality but it's not easy with the nincompoop who is in charge of this country right now.

Short drive to that bridge you should walk it with them and do a bunch of documentaries and books and stuff on the ride over. If I have my way that’s our fall history class.

There is a vigil in Brooklyn I went to this evening and they talked about John Lewis. I think he would have smiled hearing folks saying they want to keep getting into “Good trouble.” like he did. I believe we should celebrate this man’s extraordinary life and not be sad that he passed. He was at peace and his life is just an unbelievable example of what can be done if you are determined enough and believe and know you are on the right side of history in what you are advocating for.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

Sad to see John Lewis pass but this helps to push coronavirus and Trump off the headlines for a minute. Helps to remind us all what a lifetime of selfless service looks like. 

In watching some of the tributes to him, I definitely admit that I didn't have enough of an appreciation for him.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Too much Gabapentin? His tics look like he's taking something.

Were I guessing I would say that is from Gabapentin or a similar drug. You definitely can get a nervous tic if you take too much of it. He probably has the good stuff in his system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This is no way an attack on you. At all.

How the living fuck can the education system allow anyone to not know one of the greatest Americans to ever live? I bet you learned intricate details about the battle of Gettysburg but nothing about the goddamn freedom marches. It’s maddening.

/rant

Good question and no offense. I have a graduate degree; never in any education (that I can recall) had I heard of John Lewis. That said I’ve enjoyed reading a lot about him and his impact and efforts and everything about him and feel like I can participate in some of the shared grieving now.

Also, there were a few years that Hollywood was making films about slavery and civil rights, and I never got a chance to catch any— I’ve read one of those movies, Selma I believe, has a good character based on him and I’ll try and find some time to catch this movie in the next few weeks.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Sad to see John Lewis pass but this helps to push coronavirus and Trump off the headlines for a minute. Helps to remind us all what a lifetime of selfless service looks like. 

In watching some of the tributes to him, I definitely admit that I didn't have enough of an appreciation for him.

It hurts to have good men (and women) leave us.  No matter how much they did, we have to take it on ourselves to remember their efforts and push farther.  Never forget and continue teaching others so that those who created trouble, good trouble live on through us.

• Like 3

He  was a great man. May he RIP.

Trump assistant probably tweeted something, basically meaningless whatever it was. Since he is a racist piece of shit.

Its just sad that this is where our country is. The president is a racist piece o shit  who routinely divides the country, whatever his assistants decides to tweet is meaningless, Trump’s base loves it, and the country becomes further divided. Trump’s death from disease can’t come soon enough. 

I've heard rumblings of an effort to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge as the John Lewis Bridge.  I think that's a terrific idea, and it should be priority #1 in terms of eradication of Confederate and racist monuments.  Pettus was a general in the Confederate Army and served as Grand Dragon of the KKK.  John Lewis was a peaceful titan of the civil rights movement. 

This needs to happen, and now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've heard rumblings of an effort to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge as the John Lewis Bridge.  I think that's a terrific idea, and it should be priority #1 in terms of eradication of Confederate and racist monuments.  Pettus was a general in the Confederate Army and served as Grand Dragon of the KKK.  John Lewis was a peaceful titan of the civil rights movement. 

Wife (no pics) and I were talking about that this morning.  It’s such a brilliant idea that it’s seems too obvious.  I’d even donate to the fund.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Didn't know that the Lincoln Project had "uplifting" in their repertoire, but this ain't bad ...

This is a good ad and there’s no doubt those guys/gals are smart and know what they are doing. The fact that they don’t mention trump at all in this ad is smart. But  make no mistake, it’s another attack at trump. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

https://www.change.org/p/governor-of-alabama-rename-the-edmund-pettus-bridge-after-rep-john-lewis?recruiter=13776628&recruited_by_id=a156f790-c8f7-11ea-afd3-eb7063e0e8e8&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_abi&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial

Change.org petition to change the name. 

Sign it.  I did this morning.

• Like 1

I mean, John Lewis was a literal human bridge between both sides of the aisle.  And he helped ignite a revolution from that bridge, named for one of his oppressors.  What could be more appropriate?   Signed it. And passing it along.

Pettus lost his rebellion.  

Lewis won his rebellion.  

To the victors go the bridges.  

Edited by Lobo

This is the enduring legacy John Lewis will leave behind. This young man is all of 12 years old and is out actively doing more to spur change in this country than the people who should be out in front of this demanding equality for all. Seeing this is so damn cool and sad at the same time. A 12 year old is out marching and protesting to make sure the lives of African-Americans are as valued as any other. I can’t wait to see the leaders that emerge out of this over the next 20 years. If you have a protest near you go out and listen because whether you realize it or not you are helping people grow into the leaders of tomorrow by supporting their growth into one.

8D228680-89D1-4BD7-B2F6-7A1103BF8774.jpeg