John Lewis has died

Pancho

The last couple of paragraphs from the last letter penned by Congressman John Lewis

By John Lewis

Mr. Lewis, the civil rights leader who died on July 17, wrote this essay shortly before his death, to be published upon the day of his funeral.

"Though I may not be here with you, I urge you to answer the highest calling of your heart and stand up for what you truly believe. In my life I have done all I can to demonstrate that the way of peace, the way of love and nonviolence is the more excellent way. Now it is your turn to let freedom ring.

When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I don’t believe any of us will have even a fraction of the positive impact upon our fellow human beings that Mr. Lewis did. He never stopped fighting for a better tomorrow. He spent 65 years of his life fighting for civil rights and basic human decency for all. If we as a country were to ever make another Mt. Rushmore for American heroes he absolutely has to be on it. The longevity alone of fighting for what was right  is amazing. 

• Like 3

^

Yeah, I didn't see it on TV, but listened to it on the radio.  And his speech was short, poignant, passionate, humorous, pithy, and absolutely moving to my soul.  Two guys that butted heads but met each other more often than not through faith and love of one another.  Not to nitpick, but Clinton's speech was probably as good overall...but thanks to length...he brought it home beautifully at the end after a long ramble at the start.  Anyway, all three Presidents did an amazing job.  The whole time in the car, I just thought, "for all this man did, in the end...he was a poor chicken farmer's son from a small town in Alabama who stayed true to course, changed the fate of a people, and is being buried by 3 Presidents.  Probably 4 had Carter been able to travel."  

I hope people think about that when our nation has the inevitably awkward conversation about where to bury certain pieces of human shit.  

• 3 months later...