Ranging Across Texas

Asithappens

37 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

And not a chance Lonesome Dove is made in 2020.

Not on a broadcast network these days.  At the time they made it, period mini-series were kind of a huge thing for the broadcast networks - Shogun, Thorn Birds, War and Remembrance, The Winds of War, The Blue and the Gray (which blew my mind at the time).  But then they found out reality shows and sitcoms made for a more profitable venture.

But for a while, we got some pretty amazing stuff for those of us who didn't yet have access to cable TV.

These days, it would get made on a cable channel - AMC or HBO probably.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not on a broadcast network these days.  At the time they made it, period mini-series were kind of a huge thing for the broadcast networks - Shogun, Thorn Birds, War and Remembrance, The Winds of War, The Blue and the Gray (which blew my mind at the time).  But then they found out reality shows and sitcoms made for a more profitable venture.

But for a while, we got some pretty amazing stuff for those of us who didn't yet have access to cable TV.

These days, it would get made on a cable channel - AMC or HBO probably.

Didn't really mean in the sense it won't get made on a network.

Rather, I meant that it would never get made because of cultural sensitivities (ie., main bad guy is Native American savage and the heroes are Texas Rangers, an organization some are calling racist).  Maybe in a remake they could add an trans person of color to the cattle drive or a woman in a position of power over Call and Gus.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Rather, I meant that it would never get made because of cultural sensitivities (ie., main bad guy is Native American savage and the heroes are Texas Rangers, an organization some are calling racist).  Maybe in a remake they could add an trans person of color to the cattle drive or a woman in a position of power over Call and Gus.

Thank you for your hot take.  You should probably avoid Hell on Wheels.  The protagonist is a former Confederate soldier.

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Clara was in a position of power over Gus...Lorie darling was in a position of power over most of the cowboys...Peach was in a position of power over Roscoe and July, and July's wife was also in a position of power over July.

The Principle of Undefeatedism is rampant in LD. 

• Like 2

If you like cattle drive/Texas mini-series, there's a few hours in the 21-hour mini-series "Centennial" devoted to that, and the episode is "The Longhorns".  Dennis Weaver was the trail boss, and it was really well done - they drove the cattle roughly over the Goodnight–Loving Trail/Llano Estacado to Colorado.

spacer.png

Probably the best adaptation of a James Michener novel, and the whole thing has an amazing cast from start to finish.  Came out the year after Roots, and like Roots, was The Major Television Event of the Season.

I put it up there close to Lonesome Dove.  If you ask me to name my three favorite Western-centered TV mini-series, Lonesome Dove, Centennial, and The Sacketts.

Started off in the 1700s, finished in the 1980s, so you get a good feel for what armybrat went through in his earlier years.

• William Atherton
  • Raymond Burr
  • Barbara Carrera (gorgeous as usual)
  • Richard Chamberlain
  • Robert Conrad (stole all of his scenes)
  • Richard Crenna
  • Timothy Dalton
  • Cliff De Young
  • Chad Everett
  • Sharon Gless
  • Andy Griffith
  • Merle Fuckin' Haggard
  • Mark Harmon
  • Gregory Harrison
  • David Janssen
  • Alex Karras (very underrated actor after leaving the NFL)
  • Brian Keth
  • Sally Kellerman
  • Morgan Paull
  • Donald Pleasance
  • Cristina Raines (also gorgeous)
  • Lynn Redgrave (gorgeous)
  • Pernell Roberts
  • Clint Walker
  • Dennis Weaver
  • Robert Vaughn
  • Anthony Zerbe
  • Stephanie Zimbalist (also gorgeous)

About the only person not in it was Clint Howard.  Today's Trivia: Chad Everett, Morgan Paull, and Andy Griffith passed away within 3 weeks of each other back in 2012.  

Unless you are willing to drop $14 on the DVD set (no Blu-ray no matter how much people bitch), or your local library has a copy, you are out of luck.  It has been on certain sites in the past, but that was almost a decade ago, and not many seeding, if at all.

Based on the artwork below that I came across, it apparently streamed on Starz at one point.  

Spoiler

spacer.png

I had this VHS set:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Message Board User said:

The Rangers could be very racist in the 19th century. Look up what they did during the Mexican War (committed at least one massacre of civilians in a cave) while attached to the US Army.