Three Gorges Dam under strain, millions evacuated

GRHorn

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202007/18/WS5f126f78a31083481725a6ec.html

China renews yellow alerts for downpours, heat

Spoiler

BEIJING -- China's national observatory on Saturday renewed a yellow alert for rainstorms, as incessant downpours would continue to wreak havoc in vast stretches of the country.

From Saturday morning to Sunday morning, downpours are expected in parts of Anhui, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Guizhou and Yunnan, the National Meteorological Center said in a statement on its website.

Some of the aforementioned regions will see over 70 mm of hourly precipitation, accompanied by thunderstorms and strong winds, the center said.

The center advised local authorities to remain alert for possible flooding, landslides and mudslides, and recommended halting outdoor operations in hazardous areas.

Also on Saturday, the center renewed a yellow alert for high temperatures in the country's southern areas and Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.

Parts of Zhejiang, Fujian, Jiangxi, Hunan, Guangdong, Guangxi, Hainan and Xinjiang will see temperatures range from 37 to 39 degrees Celsius and even exceed 40 degrees Celsius on Saturday.

Relevant authorities should guard against fires caused by excessive power consumption and heavy load of power equipment, the center said.

China has a four-tier, color-coded weather warning system, with red representing the most severe, followed by orange, yellow and blue.

Edited by clapclapclap
not my title

Dudes.....it's 2020.  That dam is already as good as failed.

As is the 9.0 that's gonna hit California, the volcano that's gonna blow under Yellowstone, and the twin Category 5 storms that are going to hit Houston/Galveston and NOLA.

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.  They're currently swimming over here from Australia.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As is the 9.0 that's gonna hit California, the volcano that's gonna blow under Yellowstone, and the twin Category 5 storms that are going to hit Houston/Galveston and NOLA.

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

Fuck you in the ass with a barbed wire dildo for conjuring up those evils.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Like 1

Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

Brisket, I don't know you irl.  From what I've seen you post here, I think that you are a good dude, and I would enjoy treating you to a beer.  I say those so that you know that this isn't at all personal. 

I conjure nothing, I just read the cards.....

6a011570a7f84f970b0120a52c3965970c-pi

• Like 1

Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

Let me tell you what'll really get him.  If they nail the windows shut leading out to his favorite ledge, it's lights out brah....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

nights talladega GIF

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Look man, I live in the woods of Tennessee. Art Rape Sharks, California falling off the map and China going under don't effect me. Given the current heat wave, even here, a Yellow Stone massive volcano and 10 year cooling sounds pretty good.

But man.... God damn murder Hornets give me a lot of reason to pause.

How 'bout this prediction: a bad batch of Mountain Dew (slipped through QC because of COVID downsizing of the QC crew) is going to turn all the hillbillies into a murderous zombie-like horde.

NOW you have something to worry about.

• Haha 1

Just now, BurntEyes said:

You and I both are well aware that I am prepared for and look forward to the Impending Zombie Apocalypse. That would be a damn reprieve and I could stop wearing a mask and fit in with the hill billies.

You were prepared, until the massive series of industrial accidents along the East Coast released a bizarre chemical stew that neutralized all gunpowder within 1,000 miles.

Keep trying me.  My crystal ball has shit to go on for days.  Remember, this is 2020.

19 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Let me tell you what'll really get him.  If they nail the windows shut leading out to his favorite ledge, it's lights out brah....

No let me tell you what would REALLY get him in 2020. I will scramble the 6 letters for fear of retribution from the masses here.

GPRIRB

29 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Please stay up, please stay up. Fuck 2020 so hard if this shit comes to pass. 

Reminds me of a tweet (I think) where it basically says:

Time traveler from the future: Has it happened yet? Am I too late?!

Me in 2020: You'll have to be more specific!

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I haven't even gotten to the horde of sharks that have learned to rape you before they eat you.  They're currently swimming over here from Australia.

I’d like to request that the Yellowstone caldera goes next, so I don’t have to deal with the subsequent events. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’d like to request that the Yellowstone caldera goes next, so I don’t have to deal with the subsequent events. 

Oh....you think we get to pick the order?  What fucking year do you think this is, 2019?  You'll get successively worse buttfuckings and like it. 

Signed,

2020, motherfuckers

Edited by Brisketexan

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Oh....you think we get to pick the order?  What fucking year do you think this is, 2019?  You'll get successively worse buttfuckings and like it. 

Signed,

2020, motherfuckers

I don’t mind if any of the other events happen but I’m not getting buttfucked.

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

What a nightmare.  I hope there are some quality cameras permanently affixed nearby, because when that thing breaks it’s going to be an incredible event to witness.

There are a lot of fault lines in that area as well.  That much water being released will allow the faults to move too.   Could get very interesting 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hell I think the concrete in the base of the Hoover dam is still cooling, and solidifying to ultimate strength.

Technically concrete continues strengthening for ever.  Its 28 day strength is the key measure of compressive strength though.  Concrete doesn’t do well with any kind of tension which is why we reinforce it with tensile materials, whether fiber or typical steel.  

This dam is so massive that any kind of failure could easily become the worst man made disaster in history.  

And yes, Chinese engineering and construction are as shoddy as you would expect.

2 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Technically concrete continues strengthening for ever.  Its 28 day strength is the key measure of compressive strength though.  Concrete doesn’t do well with any kind of tension which is why we reinforce it with tensile materials, whether fiber or typical steel.  

This dam is so massive that any kind of failure could easily become the worst man made disaster in history.  

And yes, Chinese engineering and construction are as shoddy as you would expect.

Yes thanks, it does, and creeps a bit if I remember correctly.  They probably skipped the correct re bar part, you can't see it anyway... what's it matter ?

Always loved the "what happened" documentaries that dissected catastrophic failures. Tacoma narrows bridge, Hyatt in Kansas City in the late 80's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There really should be a nomenclature change with regards to flooding event likelihood.  It’s too easy to mistake the 100/500/1000/10000/x year designation as only happens once in that time span, instead of seeing it as a 1/x chance of happening every year. 

Not to mention that I don’t believe that a 100 year/1% storm means across the entire US. It most likely to a region or area. And if so, the US could have multiple 100 year storms every year, or a 500 year storm every year or two.  Most likely a 10,000 year storm occurs annually across the globe. Maybe many.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Not to mention that I don’t believe that a 100 year/1% storm means across the entire US. It most likely to a region or area. And if so, the US could have multiple 100 year storms every year, or a 500 year storm every year or two.  Most likely a 10,000 year storm occurs annually across the globe. Maybe many.

I always figured they were regional storms.

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Most likely a 10,000 year storm occurs annually across the globe. Maybe many.

Well yeah global warming is ensuring that. Not sure about multiple 10,000 year ones but it wouldn't surprise me. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Baylor upgrading their swim team?

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I’ve heard commentators talk about how the first 30-40 years of the Chinese communist rule has shaped construction and why it’s failing. It’s all about initial appearances and meeting schedules. Quality and ongoing maintenance are low considerations. Let that be someone else’s problem.

Sounds the same as capitalism if you ask me

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Sounds the same as capitalism if you ask me

Wrong.  Show me a dam from 2000 in the US and it will have been designed to PMF.  That is something like 3 feet of rain in 48 hours or similarly crazy volumes.  

We over design new dams because the risk associated with failure is so high.  State regulators are in charge of dam safety and notwithstanding the California debacle a couple of years ago, the US does a pretty good job with dam safety.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Wrong.  Show me a dam from 2000 in the US and it will have been designed to PMF.  That is something like 3 feet of rain in 48 hours or similarly crazy volumes.  

We over design new dams because the risk associated with failure is so high.  State regulators are in charge of dam safety and notwithstanding the California debacle a couple of years ago, the US does a pretty good job with dam safety.

Austin is around 45 inches over 24 hrs I believe. It doesnt even mean a real dam, anything over 5' tall has to safely handle the PMP/PMF.

7 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i actually remember watching a youtube video in the last month or so that talked about the most probable man-made disasters that could happen.  The 3G dam was on the list.   when they started building it in the 1990s it was originally described as beiing able to handle a 1 in 10,000 year flood, when it went online that claim had dropped to be a 1 in a 1,000 year flood.  Then it dropped to a 1 in 500 year flood.    and that was because as the workers viewed how the dam handled stress they relalized that it wasnt built to the exact specs needed.

in short, China did China on building this 3 Trillion dollar monster, cut slight corners, didnt use the absolute best option because it cost too much.

If it fails it would be a massive blow to lives, the economy, homes, and just as important to China, pride.

That’s the thing about communist countries. 

Big shit gets done, but it sucks. 

• Like 2