Three Gorges Dam under strain, millions evacuated

GRHorn

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Huh, just realized from reading the article linked by Parliament that the dam's failure would imperil Wuhan. That's some biblical shit, wash away the origin of the pandemic with a flood?

2020's writers are really swinging for the fences

Trump will take credit for it.

• Like 1

Y’all some funny mother fuckers.  Step away and come back to this.  

Failure doesn’t have to be catastrophic either.  Technically with a large enough factor of safety even deformation causing significant loss of strength may just reduce design life or the event which the structure can withstand.

Seriously though if this fails catastrophically all bets are off.  But the likeliest failure here is not going to be anything to see on camera.

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

Failure doesn’t have to be catastrophic either.  

Seriously though if this fails catastrophically all bets are off.  But the likeliest failure here is not going to be anything to see on camera.

Those are the best kind though..... and on film.

I have seen failure a couple of times in my career and it is gut wrenching even when it’s not your design.  One was another engineer failing to account for hydraulic jump at the base of a small spillway , you could have parked a semi truck in the hole that was created.  Another was a wall that just slid down the hill a few feet but no one was hurt.  

My worst was just a pump that was undersized so it looked like irrigation heads were peeing instead of sprinkling.  The contractor who covered for me on that occasion has been a friend for a long time.  That was almost twenty years ago and if that’s the worst I experience I’ll count myself lucky.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

I have seen failure a couple of times in my career and it is gut wrenching even when it’s not your design.  One was another engineer failing to account for hydraulic jump at the base of a small spillway , you could have parked a semi truck in the hole that was created.  Another was a wall that just slid down the hill a few feet but no one was hurt.  

My worst was just a pump that was undersized so it looked like irrigation heads were peeing instead of sprinkling.  The contractor who covered for me on that occasion has been a friend for a long time.  That was almost twenty years ago and if that’s the worst I experience I’ll count myself lucky.

Yep designing things that don't fail, and cause loss of life is a good thing. I've had a few scares over the years. Waking up in the middle of the night, and thinking ooooooooh shit.... did I do that wrong....  Been very lucky so far no issues. I had a very good engineer as a tutor.  His motto, "I stand by my work..... just not under it".

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hate said:

So would this thing either hurry up and not fail or hurry up and fail?? The anticipation sucks.

July 20-September 20 is the typical high water mark for the 3G dam so they just recently crossed into the shithole. You have 60 days left.

45 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

this has a very zero hedge, pessimistic breakdown of Potential consequences, but it has a lot of info about the Yangtze River and its importance to China. 

He lost me when he started talking about interstate multinational railways and cargo hubs.

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

yes.  #itsnothappening

That said, the Yangtze valley is a very important region for farming and industry.  All this flooding is still bad for them.  That and Covid distancing ain't gonna happen for a bit.

It’s China, they would blow the dam on purpose to suppress another outbreak. They’d blame it on excessive rains. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think the dam is still there, but I also think this story is related to the flooding:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53792871

China restaurant apologises for weighing customers

...The policy was introduced after a national campaign against food waste was launched.

The beef restaurant in the city of Changsha placed two large scales at its entrance this week.

It then asked diners to enter their measurements into an app that would then suggest menu items accordingly.

Signs reading "be thrifty and diligent, promote empty plates" and "operation empty plate" were pinned up...

...The restaurant said it was "deeply sorry" for its interpretation of the national "Clean Plate Campaign".

"Our original intentions were to advocate stopping waste and ordering food in a healthy way. We never forced customers to weigh themselves," it said in an apology posted online.

President Xi Jinping ignited the campaign this week, calling the levels of national food wastage "shocking and distressing".

Following Mr Xi's message, the Wuhan Catering Industry Association urged restaurants in the city to limit the number of dishes served to diners - implementing a system where groups have to order one dish fewer than the number of diners.

State TV also criticised livestreamers who filmed themselves eating large amounts of food.

11 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I think the dam is still there, but I also think this story is related to the flooding:

...The policy was introduced after a national campaign against food waste was launched.

The beef restaurant in the city of Changsha placed two large scales at its entrance this week.

It then asked diners to enter their measurements into an app that would then suggest menu items accordingly.

Signs reading "be thrifty and diligent, promote empty plates" and "operation empty plate" were pinned up...

...The restaurant said it was "deeply sorry" for its interpretation of the national "Clean Plate Campaign".

"Our original intentions were to advocate stopping waste and ordering food in a healthy way. We never forced customers to weigh themselves," it said in an apology posted online.

President Xi Jinping ignited the campaign this week, calling the levels of national food wastage "shocking and distressing".

Following Mr Xi's message, the Wuhan Catering Industry Association urged restaurants in the city to limit the number of dishes served to diners - implementing a system where groups have to order one dish fewer than the number of diners.

State TV also criticised livestreamers who filmed themselves eating large amounts of food.

Wait, they can actually go in restaurants to eat?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 11:46 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

quote-i-foresee-the-chinese-ruling-the-w

China has advanced more in the last 35 years than any other country in the world, yet when he said this Japan owned the Chinese and China was still second world.  There is no way this dumb fuck had a damn clue what the fuck he was talking about.

China, geographically, is the same size as the U.S (and Australia) yet with 4x the population.  Half of their land is uninhabited much like our Alaska.  They have 115 cities with over 1 million people.  We have 10.  They have ten cities with at least 10 million to our one NYC. 

All that to say that as dumb as we think most Americans are China has 3-4x as many of their own uneducated dumb fucks.  The U.S. has the cream of their crop and is not representative of the typical Asian from there.  So all the putting that country on a pedestal is a fucking joke to me. 

Yes, they are an economic power but they are immature and have yet to deal with all the problems that come with capitalistic freedoms.  As they have grown under capitalism yet maintained under one party rule it will be interesting to see those two ideas face off.  The role the media plays will also be interesting.    

My money is the Chinese people rise up against its own government before they do any other country.   It should be interesting to see all the "civility" in that part of the world when that shit starts happening.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

There is no way this dumb fuck had a damn clue what the fuck he was talking about.

When he said that the popular opinion was the Chinese Army outnumbered us 40 - 1 or some crazy lopsided number. This was "Red China" and he wasn't the only one to say stuff like that.

17 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Turns out I didn’t have to be grateful for all the liver and onions I had to eat when I was a kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:50 PM, Captainant said:

Huh, just realized from reading the article linked by Parliament that the dam's failure would imperil Wuhan. That's some biblical shit, wash away the origin of the pandemic with a flood?

2020's writers are really swinging for the fences

Wuhan is home to a particular secure virology lab.  They'll handle the transport fine I’m sure.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbMf1WsWp7I6oDl5I9Z4e

4 hours ago, RollLeft said:

China has advanced more in the last 35 years than any other country in the world, yet when he said this Japan owned the Chinese and China was still second world.  There is no way this dumb fuck had a damn clue what the fuck he was talking about.

China, geographically, is the same size as the U.S (and Australia) yet with 4x the population.  Half of their land is uninhabited much like our Alaska.  They have 115 cities with over 1 million people.  We have 10.  They have ten cities with at least 10 million to our one NYC. 

All that to say that as dumb as we think most Americans are China has 3-4x as many of their own uneducated dumb fucks.  The U.S. has the cream of their crop and is not representative of the typical Asian from there.  So all the putting that country on a pedestal is a fucking joke to me. 

Yes, they are an economic power but they are immature and have yet to deal with all the problems that come with capitalistic freedoms.  As they have grown under capitalism yet maintained under one party rule it will be interesting to see those two ideas face off.  The role the media plays will also be interesting.    

My money is the Chinese people rise up against its own government before they do any other country.   It should be interesting to see all the "civility" in that part of the world when that shit starts happening.  

It would be easy to contain them. Wrote about this earlier (drinking beer, not gonna find it). Just would take a bit of real thinking. 

16 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

It would be easy to contain them. Wrote about this earlier (drinking beer, not gonna find it). Just would take a bit of real thinking. 

The easiest thing would be stop doing business with them, and make them an island. Stop doing business with them, and they lose any, and all new technological advancements that they then can't steal thru intellectual theft.

• Hook 'Em 2