DKR planning for 50% capacity for the fall

hornbri

• 2 weeks later...

“As an added safety measure, all Big Ticket holders wishing to claim a ticket for Saturday’s football game must take a complimentary rapid SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) antigen test this Friday, Sept. 11 between 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Only Big Ticket holders who receive a negative test result will have the opportunity to claim a game ticket.”

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/ut-students-needs-negative-covid-19-test-to-attend-seasons-first-longhorn-football-game

I have to say having 25k in the stadium feels like a stunning fuck you to the people of this city. We have sacrificed so much to get our numbers under control. People have lost loved ones and weren't able to have funerals. People got married and weren't able to have weddings. Graduates weren't able walk in front of their family and friends or celebrate with them afterward. Our children have had birthdays without family and friends around them.The live music capital of the world is dead, with many beloved venues permanently shuttered and many more inevitably to come. So many have lost jobs. The willingness to risk pissing away so much that came at such a cost, just so there can be a few people in the stands at a mostly empty DKR is genuinely fucking outrageous to me.

If we could teleport everyone to their seats and they would stay there, spread apart, I think risk would be minimal, but what about getting everyone from outside the stadium to their seats, and back out again, and what about concessions and bathrooms? This will be a crowd of people who have self-selected to take this risk in the first place, and therefore not the people I would trust to exercise the utmost caution. We're talking about taking a bunch of our students who don't have it currently, exposing them to thousands of people who aren't being careful, many of whom just came from out of town, and then immediately releasing them back into the student population at a time when University Health Services says they don't even have the means to keep track of how many tests they're doing or what the positive rate is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I have to say having 25k in the stadium feels like a stunning fuck you to the people of this city. We have sacrificed so much to get our numbers under control. People have lost loved ones and weren't able to have funerals. People got married and weren't able to have weddings. Graduates weren't able walk in front of their family and friends or celebrate with them afterward. Our children have had birthdays without family and friends around them.The live music capital of the world is dead, with many beloved venues permanently shuttered and many more inevitably to come. So many have lost jobs. The willingness to risk pissing away so much that came at such a cost, just so there can be a few people in the stands at a mostly empty DKR is genuinely fucking outrageous to me.

If we could teleport everyone to their seats and they would stay there, spread apart, I think risk would be minimal, but what about getting everyone from outside the stadium to their seats, and back out again, and what about concessions and bathrooms? This will be a crowd of people who have self-selected to take this risk in the first place, and therefore not the people I would trust to exercise the utmost caution. We're talking about taking a bunch of our students who don't have it currently, exposing them to thousands of people who aren't being careful, many of whom just came from out of town, and then immediately releasing them back into the student population at a time when University Health Services says they don't even have the means to keep track of how many tests they're doing or what the positive rate is.

It's really dumb and it jeopardizes the season.
Edited by Pasken