Alone

futureman

searched and thread not found.

heard about this show recently and started watching season 6 on hulu.  I think it’s available on netflix as well.  originally airs on history channel.

so they drop 10 contestants off in the wilderness some distance away from one another so they are completely alone.  in season 6 they are left at various spots along the shore of great slave lake in northern canada, a few weeks before the start of winter.  they have a 65 pound trunk of camera supplies and a handful of other survival tools.  they have a radio they can use to tap out whenever they want.  and so they just film themselves trying to survive and the last man standing wins.

it’s considerably more entertaining than I anticipated.  is anyone else a fan of this show?  I’m on episode 3 and one guy had to quit after breaking his leg, another ate a muskrat he shot with a bow and arrow and got so sick he was about to die.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'll never forget when the dude that won season 1 was disappointed to see his wife show up when he won. I truly think he wanted to stay out there and had no desire to go home. 

20 minutes ago, Liteitup said:

Season one was the best of the series.

damn.  for some reason hulu only has seasons 3-6.  

damn, ray just tapped out for seemingly no reason.  first guy, broke his leg, second guy was about to die from a parasite, and ray taps out with a badass shelter because he was getting hungry.  unbelievable.  everybody’s hungry, ray. 

I’m about halfway through season 6.  thought it was interesting when the military guy from san antonio tapped out.  he had a great shelter, was catching fish and eating well, was warm and healthy and just cruising, and basically just got bored and missed his family.  isolation must be pretty damn tough. 

On 7/20/2020 at 1:52 PM, StruggleBus said:

Love it. Seen every season. I'll never forget when the dude that won season 1 was disappointed to see his wife show up when he won. I truly think he wanted to stay out there and had no desire to go home. 

Back 15-20 years ago or so, it seemed like there was a spate of reality shows on PBS, where people had to dress and live like people from previous eras did.  There was a frontier one, like 1870s or 1880s or something, and one of the guys on the show, he was from some big city, had an executive job, and he seemed at peace/enjoying it.  When the show was finished, I believe he divorced his wife and moved back out west and got a cabin somewhere.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, futureman said:

I’m about halfway through season 6.  thought it was interesting when the military guy from san antonio tapped out.  he had a great shelter, was catching fish and eating well, was warm and healthy and just cruising, and basically just got bored and missed his family.  isolation must be pretty damn tough. 

There  was a guy in Season 1 like this.  Dude had a separate structure with kitchen, worktable, even rigged a hands free water faucet.  Plenty of fish, he had it wired.  Tapped out cause he was missing his wife.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

finished season 6.  this show is so great.  

woniya was one tough bitch, holy shit.  I thought she was going to win.  still, was happy that jordan pulled it off.  that guy is ice cold and steady as a rock.  plus he killed a fucking wolverine with a hatchet.  I thought he seemed like the toughest out of all of them.  had some frustrating shit happen and he never really had a psychic break.  I would assume it is people like himself that make it through SEAL training.  

cant wait to dive in to season 1. 

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Love it. Seen every season. I'll never forget when the dude that won season 1 was disappointed to see his wife show up when he won. I truly think he wanted to stay out there and had no desire to go home. 

Jesus wtf are the odds a thread for this show gets made a week after a buddy of mine recommended this show to me..weird. Wife and I powered through season 1 last week.

Anyways I’m quoting you because I felt the same way. He was so acclimated to nature that he almost seemed checked out of the real world and was fine surviving like a caveman. Zero chance he was losing as his shelter fared much better vs the wind than the other guys.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Just started watching S1, about 4 eps in. I'm a fan of survival shows and this reminds me a lot of Survivorman except most of these guys are pussies.

Compared to the people on Season 6, yeah a few of them were super lame and complained/cried a lot or went home in the first couple of days.

I was very impressed with one of the girls in season 6, can’t remember her name.  initially thought she was annoying as shit and was actively rooting against her.  and she cut herself, stabbed herself, almost burned down her shelter, got bitten by a squirrel, and just seemed to do a lot of stupid stuff.  but I’ll be damned if she wasn’t tougher than a boiled owl and just simply would not quit.  ultimately they pulled her for losing too much weight.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I was very impressed with one of the girls in season 6, can’t remember her name.  initially thought she was annoying as shit and was actively rooting against her.  and she cut herself, stabbed herself, almost burned down her shelter, got bitten by a squirrel, and just seemed to do a lot of stupid stuff.  but I’ll be damned if she wasn’t tougher than a boiled owl and just simply would not quit.  ultimately they pulled her for losing too much weight.  

Nikki, goddamn she would have been next level insane had she stayed out there longer.  The crew would have rolled up to a squirrel tea party or some shit.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Nikki, goddamn she would have been next level insane had she stayed out there longer.  The crew would have rolled up to a squirrel tea party or some shit.

A teddy "bear" out of a hare carcass. She was one of the few that was seriously losing it. Just finished the season today. I was really impressed with the skills these people had. Fishing skills. Bow-hunting skills. Trapping skills. Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills!

The last two were serious, forgot Jordan did mention he lived in Siberia for a while though. He was very prepared. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

Compared to the people on Season 6, yeah a few of them were super lame and complained/cried a lot or went home in the first couple of days.

yeah no joke.  I’m getting into season 1 now.  these contestants definitely seem quicker to bail than the season 6 crew.  

Haven’t read any of this thread because I accidentally started on season 6 instead of one but decided to go ahead and watch this season. 3 people left and I want to grab the dude from Virginia, who catches four rabbits at a time, kill a got damn moose, makes a net and catches a huge trout under the ice yet he can’t protect any of his fucking food?

Buried the damn fat in an can under your bed, in a hole sleep over it, build a fire over it whatever but protect it! He’s lost every damn piece of fat he’s caught because he has the IQ of a rock.

He’s a hunting machine and is going to lose because he’s too stupid to know what to do with all the damn food. Rant over

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I'm pretty sure he broke down crying a couple of times.

wait, were you talking about the guy that won it or the guy that got pulled for medical reasons?  the big guy from colorado with blonde hair broke down a lot, if that’s who you were talking about.  the big guy who won it all never broke down. 

On 7/20/2020 at 2:00 PM, Liteitup said:

Season one was the best of the series. Fell off a little after that but still but still very watchable, except for the season they did teams.

what was the problem there?  teams seems like it might be kind of cool. 

damn I’m on season 1 and lucas just tapped.  I was sure he was going to win.

I don’t see how sam pulls this off so I’m switching my prediction to mitch from massachusetts.  guy always seems negative but also seems unbreakable. 

Edited by futureman

12 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Idea was cool but it didn't translate on the show. I still watched it but it was the weakest season. 

This. And the name of the show is Alone, not Alone +1. The mental aspect of being totally without human interaction is what sends many home.

Spoiler

I’m about halfway through season 6.  thought it was interesting when the military guy from san antonio tapped out.  he had a great shelter, was catching fish and eating well, was warm and healthy and just cruising, and basically just got bored and missed his family.  isolation must be pretty damn tough.

Have to wonder if being too good is a liability because you can continually take in the entire experience with rational thought. Others might get so consumed with needing food or the cold that they’re unable to question should they stay. One contestant in season 6 begged to stay 1 more day when they pulled her. Not because she thought 1 more day would allow her to win but that she wanted to properly say good bye.

whats the background on the anti fox hunting rule on the show? At least on season 6. Canadian law against or something?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m about halfway through season 6.  thought it was interesting when the military guy from san antonio tapped out.  he had a great shelter, was catching fish and eating well, was warm and healthy and just cruising, and basically just got bored and missed his family.  isolation must be pretty damn tough.

Have to wonder if being too good is a liability because you can continually take in the entire experience with rational thought. Others might get so consumed with needing food or the cold that they’re unable to question should they stay. One contestant in season 6 begged to stay 1 more day when they pulled her. Not because she thought 1 more day would allow her to win but that she wanted to properly say good bye.

whats the background on the anti fox hunting rule on the show? At least on season 6. Canadian law against or something?

It's been awhile, but I believe that's right. They also couldn't kill more than 1 wolverine, which is why Jordan couldn't stop the others. 

I saw him talk about it in an interview, but I can't remember if it was with Joe Rogan or on his own personal channel. Either way, this is a pretty sweet interview with a certified badass. He wasn't even close to tapping out. 

Edited by KYHorn

On 7/21/2020 at 5:12 PM, Wade said:

There  was a guy in Season 1 like this.  Dude had a separate structure with kitchen, worktable, even rigged a hands free water faucet.  Plenty of fish, he had it wired.  Tapped out cause he was missing his wife.

Are you thinking of the guy in season 2 who made a chess board and all kinds of crazy stuff and wouldn't shut up about his wife Barbara? His constant wailing about Barbara still haunts me in my dreams.

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Are you thinking of the guy in season 2 who made a chess board and all kinds of crazy stuff and wouldn't shut up about his wife Barbara? His constant wailing about Barbara still haunts me in my dreams.

he might be.  having just finished season 1 nobody really matched his description.  the closest one was alan but he ended up winning. 

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
  Reveal hidden contents

IIRC - the Arctic Fox in Canada is not endangered, but it is key in preventing the snow goose from damaging the Arctic/sub-Arctic biomes. Arctic Fox cache away the eggs for the long winters - eating 5-7 cached eggs a day. Delicate balance up there. 

Great season of Alone. Those are talented survivalists - very impressed by their mental fortitude. Having that sat cell at your fingertips for a warm bed must be torture. 

Was Barbara dead or something or did he just miss her? I missed that part but was too lazy to rewind and see if she was dead or not

1 hour ago, KYHorn said:

Yep, got the season mixed up, but yeah, that's the one.  His camp was amazing

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Was Barbara dead or something or did he just miss her? I missed that part but was too lazy to rewind and see if she was dead or not

She was alive. If she was dead, he probably would've won. He missed her and left the show. He was incredibly talented.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 6:06 AM, KYHorn said:

She was alive. If she was dead, he probably would've won. He missed her and left the show. He was incredibly talented.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:42 PM, Wade said:

Yep, got the season mixed up, but yeah, that's the one.  His camp was amazing

I’m making my way through season 2 and damn you guys weren’t kidding.  he was probably doing better than anyone I’ve seen yet and probably could’ve won it standing on his head if he didn’t miss barbara so damn much.  I wonder if she ever gives him shit about costing her half a million bucks. 

On 7/26/2020 at 5:06 AM, KYHorn said:

I think that dude might have been bored.  I've never seen someone make survival look so easy.