Movie theaters officially dead

Michael Knight

Warner Bros. has removed “Tenet” from its release calendar, delivering a big blow on the exhibition industry at a time when movie theaters had hoped to peg their re-opening to the late summer debut of Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi thriller.

Though necessary given the mass uncertainty over when cinemas across the globe can safely reopen, the decision further complicates Hollywood’s already bumpy plan to revive moviegoing. “Tenet” was originally scheduled to debut on July 17 but was pushed back twice until Aug. 12. It’s unclear when it will now welcome audiences, but the studio plans to announce a new release date “imminently.”

“We will share a new 2020 release date imminently for ‘Tenet,’ Christopher Nolan’s wholly original and mind-blowing feature,” said Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich in a statement. “Our goals throughout this process have been to ensure the highest odds of success for our films while also being ready to support our theater partners with new content as soon as they could safely reopen.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-delayed-again-christopher-nolan-1234699068/

In other news, for seemingly no reason...ACC has announced their plans to offer 200 more classrooms around Central Texas as the demand for in-person community college courses soars in completely unrelated news.  Good lord, the total and complete wastes of real estate we're gonna have to explain to our children one day soon.  

"sorry there's no ponds or trails for 10 miles in any direction Timmy, but we just had to have these 4 acre buildings that sometimes showed up to one good movie a week to as many as 30 people.  It seemed rational at the time.  You're really not gonna like when you hear about Kohl's."  

I still don't know how you Texans used to bang at the drive-in back in the day. Would seem to me like it'd be hotter than two rats in a sock in the back side of that velour Oldsmobile.  Then again, we were all once and young and probably didn't start sweating taking the trash out.  

We did a drive-in movie with the kids in April in Round Rock to see "Trolls" and everybody cut their engines about 15 minutes in and we opened up the windows/sunroof and it was pretty nice.  But I can't imagine doing that in August.  But I guess everybody just keeps the A/C on and has a time.  South Austin's mom sure enjoys going trunk to hood to sunroof...in an order that would surprise you.  

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Unless we do it first...profit?

Yeah it’s not like Netflix and Apple and amazon and Disney already have a streaming service that distributes movies - some for “free” with the subscription and some pay per view. 

though I am surprised that your universal or Warner haven’t already developed their own platforms to skip distributors and theaters. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I fucked my girlfriend in high school plenty in the back of my car with the car turned off.

Yes it gets hot as fuck. But you tend to not mind as much when you're... fucking.

Yes exactly, we also stayed outside all fucking day as kids and drank out of the fucking hose.

Ain't no fucking kid alive today that is gonna fuck without A/C

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

I still don't know how you Texans used to bang at the drive-in back in the day. Would seem to me like it'd be hotter than two rats in a sock in the back side of that velour Oldsmobile.  Then again, we were all once and young and probably didn't start sweating taking the trash out.  

Back then, there was this thing called the "sundress." Shorts were shorter then, too. You had the velour so that all that skin you both were showing didn't stick to the seats, the way they do with leather or vinyl.

I didn't even get that. I had to finger-bang my girlfriend in the back seat of a 1974 Camaro. Not a lot of room to maneuver back there, but that's where the speakers were, so we could hear DLR encouraging us to do what we were there to do clearly.

Edited by Rimbo

15 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

This is probably the death of the big chain theaters like AMC Cinemark the ones that just churn out ticket sales, places like Alamo and iPic can survive because of the experience they offer.

You mean the experience of spending $100 at a shitty movie?

Count me out.

10 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Hopefully more movies go the way of Greyhound and continue to get picked up.  

I haven’t seen any numbers but surely that’s been a huge hit for Apple+. 

I read Apple+ is throwing a lot of money around for movies. Look at how much Hulu paid for Palm Springs 

Don't go to many thetres as an adult. On the rare occasion me and my wife get childcare for an evening we rarely waste it on a movie that we can just rent a few months later.  Part of it is because most new movies don't excite me that much, although I was planning on seeing Top gun2 this summer. 

but we take the kids a couple times a year and they have a good time and went all the time as a teenager and college student.  

19 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

No, they'll just go to streaming platforms. By September someone will come out with some movie theater service

Disney could start dropping their wide-release movies on Disney+, charge a 48-hour rental fee of $15 or $20, and they are in business and rolling in even more dough.

Sony had a service they could, and with them, they are selling TV and audio systems, so it benefits them even more.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or a minivan with rear seats that fold into the floor.

Or better yet, one of the vehicles I want for my midlife crisis (fuck those dinky little sports cars or oversized pickup trucks)

spacer.png

Or

spacer.png

Have always been a Van guy, first vehicle I bought was a van I wanted to customize myself, only got as far as carpeting and a few Captains chairs.  Bought a High-Top Conversion van late 90s for a couple of family trips.  It had game system, vcr/tv to keep the boy occupied while driving, miss that thing. 

It was pretty similar to this...

hqdefault.jpg

I'd miss not going to the theater, not much of a movie watcher at home except for movies I've seen/familiar with.  

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Have always been a Van guy, first vehicle I bought was a van I wanted to customize myself, only got as far as carpeting and a few Captains chairs.  Bought a High-Top Conversion van late 90s for a couple of family trips.  It had game system, vcr/tv to keep the boy occupied while driving, miss that thing. 

It was pretty similar to this...

hqdefault.jpg

I'd miss not going to the theater, not much of a movie watcher at home except for movies I've seen/familiar with.  

20200721_165236.jpg

On 7/21/2020 at 12:52 PM, PilotsError said:

I stopped going to theaters for a while, and then they brought in recliners and reserved seating, and it changed the game.  Going to movies became much less of a chore and I started going to more. 

Agreed.  Some films are just better at the theater.  I like going but only seem to find 3-4 movies a year I am into.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:34 PM, DaysOff said:
On 7/20/2020 at 4:59 PM, henrygandorf said:
just as everyone started ride-sharing, the drive-in theater is coming back!

We're actually going to a drive-in Friday night double feature with a live q and a featuring one Mr. Michael Anthony Hall.

That dude is doing a meet-and-greet at some restaurant in Martindale.  

I honestly don't want to know what he has done that has left him so hard up for money.

On 7/21/2020 at 4:40 PM, DougO said:

Theaters have been dead to me for almost a decade, thanks to the never-ending stream of shitty movies they keep cranking out.

I just don't like other people around while I am watching a movie.

Just like I wouldn't want someone next to me eating popcorn while I am reading something. 

I realize there are social aspects to some movies (we want as a family to Star Wars/Hobbity flicks) and of course, if I were dating I'd still like going.

Bit a movie I really want to watch with no distractions?  Sorry, big home screens and great home sound killed the theaters for me.

Plus age.  I'm a grouchy old fucker.

• Hook 'Em 1