Movie theaters officially dead

Michael Knight

On 7/21/2020 at 2:40 PM, DougO said:

Theaters have been dead to me for almost a decade, thanks to the never-ending stream of shitty movies they keep cranking out.

It's the paid advertisements to a captive audience during previews that got me. Movie trailers are fine but in no way am I willing to pay for the privilege of watching a Ford commercial.

56 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I just don't like other people around while I am watching a movie.

Just like I wouldn't want someone next to me eating popcorn while I am reading something. 

I realize there are social aspects to some movies (we want as a family to Star Wars/Hobbity flicks) and of course, if I were dating I'd still like going.

Bit a movie I really want to watch with no distractions?  Sorry, big home screens and great home sound killed the theaters for me.

Plus age.  I'm a grouchy old fucker.

What's the point of a date where you can't talk to each other for 2+ hours? 

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

It's the paid advertisements to a captive audience during previews that got me. Movie trailers are fine but in no way am I willing to pay for the privilege of watching a Ford commercial.

I enjoy the entire spectacle from Amanda Munoz to the overpriced popcorn, but only once every 3 or 4 months.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

No way they release it without charging some additional fee.

Thing is, they have agreements with the theaters I believe, and so they can push stuff back, but going straight-to-video may cost them.

Disney hasn’t yet released anything on their app that requires a ppv above the subscription fee, but they should. 
amazon did it with trolls world tour- how did that go financially?

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Disney hasn’t yet released anything on their app that requires a ppv above the subscription fee, but they should. 
amazon did it with trolls world tour- how did that go financially?

It either broke even, or came close enough to satisfy Universal, who thought they were going to lose a lot thanks to covid.

But it also got AMC and Regal telling Universal to fuck off with movies if they release a movie to VOD like that again.

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It either broke even, or came close enough to satisfy Universal, who thought they were going to lose a lot thanks to covid.

But it also got AMC and Regal telling Universal to fuck off with movies if they release a movie to VOD like that again.

Universal streaming app upcoming to take them up on the offer?

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I would pay $20 to watch Tenet at the house 

I’d pay $20 to watch a brand new movie at home.  Between gas, a ticket, and snacks, I’d break even and the studio gets all my money. 

Movie theaters can die

• Like 1

I like seeing movies in the theaters but it seems harder in recent years to find movies I actually enjoy. I think part of that is the shift to making endless Marvel movies or sequels/remakes, rather than good original content. Or maybe that’s always been the case and I just became more picky with age.

I get the hate on AMC because I’m sure many of them are still terrible, but the 2 near me have reserved recliner seating, a bar, and limited food. We don’t have Alamo Drafthouse near me so it’s a good substitute.

So for me at least, the problem with the movie theater experience is due to the studios and not the actual theaters, and I don’t expect direct-to-streaming movies to improve that.

• Like 1

I like seeing movies in the theaters but it seems harder in recent years to find movies I actually enjoy. I think part of that is the shift to making endless Marvel movies or sequels/remakes, rather than good original content. Or maybe that’s always been the case and I just became more picky with age.

I get the hate on AMC because I’m sure many of them are still terrible, but the 2 near me have reserved recliner seating, a bar, and limited food. We don’t have Alamo Drafthouse near me so it’s a good substitute.

So for me at least, the problem with the movie theater experience is due to the studios and not the actual theaters, and I don’t expect direct-to-streaming movies to improve that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

wild_turkey, I just have a couple of notes for you for the next time you decide to do a remake of a recent post. Maybe adding a talking dog would help? You could also use some more CGI explosions. But whatever you do, you must have an all-female cast, preferably with a sassy African-American lead.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/22/2020 at 5:12 PM, Queen Bitch said:

If they were dead, Tenet and WW: 1984 would be on HBO Max, Black Widow and Mulan would be on Disney+, the new Ghostbusters and Top Gun would be $25 rentals, etc.

They're waiting for a reason.

I'd they are waiting for theatres to open to 100% and everything to be back to normal then they are fuckin dumb.  This virus had screwed over almost every industry, Hollywood is no exception.  They aren't going to get the 500MM opening weekend so might was we'll get what they can get.  

I paid like $20 to rent Trolls a few months ago.  I first balked, but my wife told me I'd spend at least $50 if we took the kids to see that in theatre.  I'd likely pay $20-30 to rent most of those movies you mentioned.

So, I broke down and took up Cinemark on their "Private Party" screenings.

You rent a theater for $100. Can invite up to 20 friends.

We are seeing Jurassic Park this Sunday at 5:15.

Will be sneaking in some Woodford Reserve.

Will let you know how it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Now see, this is a business model I can get behind. Everyone throw in $5 and there's your hundred right there.

18 hours ago, mcbrisket said:

Man, he really did disappear after that. The pegging was his final post. lol

I often wonder what that move did to him irl.  Like, does he carry it with him every waking moment as some sort of scarlet letter as he walks the streets of the real world hoping beyond hope some internet sleuths don’t dox him, or is it just a distant, all but forgotten memory from his internet posting days on a website he barely remembers?

13 hours ago, Lidig8r said:

I don't think I'd do that for a movie I own and have seen a thousand times, but holy shit I'd be all over that for Top Gun 2. 

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

This is me. I love the movie experience, especially in the newer theatres with reserves seating with reclining seats and more space.

Same. I think it's more than reasonable to rent a brand new movie for 20 bucks.  Even bad movies would be worth it if you just wanted to see it with the family.  And probably save you a ton of money if there's more than 3 of you.

Sheeeiiiiiit, between tickets, food/beer, and babysitter, it's a $100+ investment for my wife and I to see a movie in a theater.  $20 is an absolute no brainer for me.  I get that seeing it on a big screen is a different experience, and actually watching a movie at home without the kids awake to bother me requires me to stay up well past my bedtime, but the economics of going to see a new release at a theater doesn't work for me except for 1-2 times a year.

48 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Sheeeiiiiiit, between tickets, food/beer, and babysitter, it's a $100+ investment for my wife and I to see a movie in a theater.  $20 is an absolute no brainer for me.  I get that seeing it on a big screen is a different experience, and actually watching a movie at home without the kids awake to bother me requires me to stay up well past my bedtime, but the economics of going to see a new release at a theater doesn't work for me except for 1-2 times a year.

With the money you save, buy a bigger TV. 

If you make a $50mm movie and then spend the industry standard of 20% on top of that marketing that.  Then you find out you don't have to spend 20% marketing that, but rather less than 5%, and maybe even save 5% on the actual production because you don't have to worry about it meeting all types of projection/audio requirements.  If they just back out the model and figure out how many viewers they need to buy the rental/permanent copy at which prices for which duration, and then maybe cut another deal where somebody gets to place an ad at the start and halfway thru while you piss/refill your wine...that's a whole different model they can make work toot-sweet.  But as usual, dying models need to be pissed on before they rise from the dead.  

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

so did we. But I didn't watch it, because I'm a grown ass man.

Well I'll fill you in-- it was okay. I'd rank the NFLX show (The Beat Goes on) #1, then the first Trolls #2 and the latest a solid #3.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:35 AM, Steel Shank said:

Laid some serious pipe in the back of my ‘77 Rabbit back in the day at the drive in. Will take some smooth ass skilz to get wifey to play along today. But I got this.

Just order a sheepskin cover for your sofa, boom, everythings the same

On 7/24/2020 at 7:14 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

wild_turkey, I just have a couple of notes for you for the next time you decide to do a remake of a recent post. Maybe adding a talking dog would help? You could also use some more CGI explosions. But whatever you do, you must have an all-female cast, preferably with a sassy African-American lead.

Don't show any gratuitous tits though, you'll get cancelled

On 7/24/2020 at 8:36 PM, Lidig8r said:

On 7/24/2020 at 9:34 PM, ztejas said:

Now see, this is a business model I can get behind. Everyone throw in $5 and there's your hundred right there.

Who has 20 friends irl?