Movie theaters officially dead

Michael Knight

Just now, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

this is very very concerning.  my bet is an immediate decrease in the quality of grub there.

We'd drive from Waco to see movies at ADH from time to time, but I never thought the food was all that good with the exception of the warm cookies.

There've been buzzards circling to pick up most of their Central Texas spaces.  I think it'll come roaring back if they can work out the licensing later this year.  But many locations will never reopen, and yeah---the food and niche programming will very likely suffer.  

34 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

The quality of the grub had already declined.  

Yeah it was definitely declining with a smaller menu. I thought it was still pretty good for movie theater food, but the choices were already starting to decrease pre-covid. Still, I miss the Drafthouse and hope they survive in the coming months/years

In completely unrelated news, City of Austin is prepared to pay $12mm for the Ritz space (admittedly, just a hair above FMV) and then spend $6mm turning it into a homeless affordable housing complex.  

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

In completely unrelated news, City of Austin is prepared to pay $12mm for the Ritz space (admittedly, just a hair above FMV) and then spend $6mm turning it into a homeless affordable housing complex.  

are you joking or is this really happening?

Man, fuck this virus.  The Alamo movie pass was the best damned thing going.  I got to enjoy it for like 6 months before it all went to hell.  I hope they can reinstate it soon as it was one hell of a deal and got me to the theater at least twice a week and I'd say I bought food 80% of the time even if just appetizers.  I miss going.

• Fuck You 1

Bummer about the Ritz but glad to see some cool programming still coming from Alamo.

Think I'm gonna buy tickets for this (LOTR movies in 4k with post screening discussions with the cast, unique groups for each movie). And btw they are making this program available to any theaters that want to run it. Pretty cool

Edited by LonghornSean

• 3 weeks later...

Notably, “Black Widow” and “Cruella” will now premiere on Disney Plus at the same time they open in theaters. “Cruella” is arriving as scheduled on May 28, while “Black Widow” has been pushed back two months and will debut on July 9 instead of May 7. Both titles will be offered on Premier Access, which comes with a $30 rental fee.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/disney-postpones-black-widow-shang-chi-1234935874/

• 2 weeks later...

Next big fight

The cinema owners' aim is to secure better terms from Disney, such as a higher share of box-office revenue or a chance to show "Black Widow" exclusively, but their ability to fight the studio might be undercut by their need to lure moviegoers back to multiplexes after a year of closures and limited capacities.

"We haven't made any threats," AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. Chief Executive Adam Aron said in reference to "Black Widow." But "it is widely known that AMC has threatened not to play movies if we could not find business terms that we found acceptable," he said.

Disney isn't alone in its efforts to build up its digital platform. AT&T Inc.'s Warner Bros. movie studio surprised Hollywood and theater owners in December when it announced it would release all of its 2021 films, including "Matrix 4" and a "Dune" remake, in theaters and on its streaming service, HBO Max. The company has said it only plans to pursue the strategy through this year.

Most theater owners have been willing to play the studio's films, including "Godzilla vs. Kong," which is in theaters this weekend, because the company sweetened the deal by offering theaters slightly better terms than a 50-50 split, according to people familiar with the matter.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/entertainment/disneys-black-widow-sets-stage-for-possible-clash-with-theaters

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Next big fight

They should be a lot more pissed off at Warner Brothers, since you don't have to pay anything extra over the $14 or so a month we already pay, whereas Disney tossing on a $30 premium will make some consider theaters.

The problem for the theaters is that they are looking at this one movie, while for Disney, Black Widow is the start of Marvel's Phase 4, and they've delayed it as long as they could - they have to get that ball rolling NOW.

Because of the covid logjam they now have 7 MCU movies lined up behind Black Widow, between September 2021 and November 2022.

1. July - Black Widow - Start of Phase 4
  2. September - Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  3. November - Eternals (Angelina Jolie's entrance into the MCU)
  4. December - Spider-Man: No Way Home
  5. March, 2022 - Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  6. May, 2022 - Thor - Love and Thunder
  7. July, 2022 - Black Panther II
  8. November, 2022 - Captain Marvel 2

And I can remember people bitching about 3-4 MCU movies in a year or so.

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, mdleast said:

Well shit. Alamo Ritz will not be reopening.

https://drafthouse.com/news/au-revoir-to-the-ritz

Old man moment...

"Back in my day...." The Ritz was where I drank 50 cent pitchers on Friday afternoons... and there was an occasional party there (I threw one with my fraternity once...)

I didn't even know about the Alamo thing... would have been cool to do once out of nostalgia.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:58 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Fuck, they better keep Master Pancake going at one of the other locations. I'm not a huge 6th Street fan, but there was something special about leaving the late Master Pancake to a packed 6th.

Truth.  I loved going to the Ritz.  I'd get downtown about an hour before the movie and have some drinks on a rooftop bar, followed by dinner and more drinks while watching the movie at the Ritz, and then exiting to the sea of humanity on 6th to have another drink or two.  Good times which will be missed.

• Hook 'Em 1

looks like the family that owns that building historically owned and operated the ritz theater, so hopefully they have sentimental motivation to keep it a movie theater.

although i guess that means they also ran it when it was the foot clan's hide out in the 90s.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, Snacks said:

Old man moment...

"Back in my day...." The Ritz was where I drank 50 cent pitchers on Friday afternoons... and there was an occasional party there (I threw one with my fraternity once...)

I didn't even know about the Alamo thing... would have been cool to do once out of nostalgia.

I saw the Dead Kennedys play there in 1984.

• Hook 'Em 1

I miss the movie theater experience so badly. Walking into the theater on a hot summer afternoon. Smelling the popcorn, yummmm! Buying popcorn and drink and then on to the theater. Settling into the seat and the magic begins. Can’t wait to get that back. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

I miss the movie theater experience so badly. Walking into the theater on a hot summer afternoon. Smelling the popcorn, yummmm! Buying popcorn and drink and then on to the theater. Settling into the seat and the magic begins. Can’t wait to get that back. 

Same.  It's been too damn long.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Alright settle down Peewee. 

• Haha 4

Went to the movies for the first time in 14 months this past weekend a few weeks after my second vax shot. Saw the new Guy Ritchie movie. The movie was just ok but I really loved being in the theater and just the joy that going to a movie entails. I think theaters will pretty quickly experience the return of movie goers. Watching a movie at home just isn't the same.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:33 AM, Brandywine said:

this inspired me yesterday... bought tickets for this weekend! i can't wait... i'll probably cry when the credits start 😄

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

Since the New Braunfels Alamo ain’t coming back I don’t know if I can ever love again 

Damn that seems like it would be a busy one.  Are the Round Rock and North Austin locations not opening back up?   Did a search for theaters last weekend on fandango and none of them came up.

Edited by Hook1997

10 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I get that covid screwed up the release schedule, but still, why do they do this shit:

September 24th: Venom

October 1st: Dune

October 8th: No Time to Die

1. They are hoping enough folks are vaccinated by then that theaters will look more "normal"
  2. They can't push them back any more, without running into some major holiday releases, and they definitely don't want to release them next year in February/March
  3. Tying the two above together, those three films are tentpole films, and probably represent nearly a billion dollars worth of production, advertising, etc.. When all is said and done, while they maybe three different production companies/distributors, they are tying up substantial sums of money for those studios/distributors, and they need to get them out the door and/or onto streaming platforms.
10 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

-----

November 5th: Eternals

September 3: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

November 5: Eternals

December 17: Spider-Man: No Way Home

Marvel has to get those movies out there, because they are already running into storyline issues (Black Widow, WandaVision, Loki all had things that had to be changed because stuff got delayed), and they will be bumping into Doctor Strange and Thor 4 if they go into 2022.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
  1. They are hoping enough folks are vaccinated by then that theaters will look more "normal"
  2. They can't push them back any more, without running into some major holiday releases, and they definitely don't want to release them next year in February/March
  3. Tying the two above together, those three films are tentpole films, and probably represent nearly a billion dollars worth of production, advertising, etc.. When all is said and done, while they maybe three different production companies/distributors, they are tying up substantial sums of money for those studios/distributors, and they need to get them out the door and/or onto streaming platforms.

September 3: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

November 5: Eternals

December 17: Spider-Man: No Way Home

Marvel has to get those movies out there, because they are already running into storyline issues (Black Widow, WandaVision, Loki all had things that had to be changed because stuff got delayed), and they will be bumping into Doctor Strange and Thor 4 if they go into 2022.

Yeah, like I said, I get it to an extent. Movies have been delayed and there's going to be a lot of heavy hitters coming out this year, but why not try your best to spread it out? If I were Sony, I sure as shit wouldn't want my two biggest moves to release right before Dune/No Time To Die and right after Eternals. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah, like I said, I get it to an extent. Movies have been delayed and there's going to be a lot of heavy hitters coming out this year, but why not try your best to spread it out? If I were Sony, I sure as shit wouldn't want my two biggest moves to release right before Dune/No Time To Die and right after Eternals. 

I kinda think it's not too bad  of a schedule for them. The summer is probably going to see a shitload of people traveling now that they are vaccinated and teens will be getting vaccinated, so that takes us into August.

August has back-to-school stuff going on.  Plus it has James Gunn's Suicide Squad 2.

September has Shang-Chi and Venom.

October is pretty much just Dune and James Bond, although I'm surprised they didn't push an extra week in between those two.

November is Top Gun: Maverick. I don't think anybody at all wants to mess with that. Sony has a Resident Evil moving coming out in November as well.

And look at December - there's a lot of overlapping audiences for those movies:

• West Side Story  – December 10.
  • Spider-Man 3  – December 17.
  • Sherlock Holmes 3 – December 22.
  • The Matrix 4  – December 22.
  • Wicked  – December 22.
  • The King's Man - December 22

In a normal year, those movies would have been spread out across the summer and fall.

December is going to be nuts.