Vinyl

CooterBrown

Someone back on The Site That Shat Be Named recommended Fuzz Club for their special releases. Today I received my King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard’s Polygondwanaland limited edition.

It is top shelf all the way. The sleeve is actually a hard cover book with two pages of artwork and lyrics for each song. Based on this release, I would highly recommend Fuzz Club.

b500e1a32b17aa162477bf773751b928.jpg

b2a0864aed2fa39fc6b0e378532b3c4b.jpg

• Like 1

My wife got me a subscription to Vinyl Me Please for Christmas. I love it. Lots of great records on there you can swap for if you don't like the record of the month. Plus I love different color vinyl and their exclusives typically are that or are serious releases like Tidal by Fiona Apple at 45rpm. They also have a classics and hip hop offshoots where they have exclusive releases like the Miles Davis/John Coltrane Paris show in 1960 before they went their separate ways. It's a great service. I've found a lot of a great new music this way. 

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/record-of-the-month/

27637810378_6867421a97_z.jpg

41508759881_ae4ecbfd16_z.jpg

40615486665_b4ca426d90_z.jpg

40615487235_8b99a165d4_z.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from a few weeks in japan, and went to at least 5 record stores in tokyo that had a better selection than any single store in new york.  It was heaven. Below are a few finds. I also snagged an original pressing of LCD Soundsystem's Losing My Edge/Beat Connection single in osaka. There was an also original issue joy division "Closer" for $100 that I am already regretting passing up.

gbXlrKn.jpg?2

GvEbOfe.jpg?1

Xgv0HMh.jpg?2

utUmJtV.jpg?2

On 4/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, mdmost said:

My wife got me a subscription to Vinyl Me Please for Christmas. I love it. Lots of great records on there you can swap for if you don't like the record of the month. Plus I love different color vinyl and their exclusives typically are that or are serious releases like Tidal by Fiona Apple at 45rpm. They also have a classics and hip hop offshoots where they have exclusive releases like the Miles Davis/John Coltrane Paris show in 1960 before they went their separate ways. It's a great service. I've found a lot of a great new music this way. 

Think I might do this, if only for the Clipse - Lord Willin' release. Great Southern Hip-Hop debut.

Got into vinyl about a year ago and have about 15-20 sitting at home with my little setup. I still enjoy the physical manifestation of albums/artwork/booklets. I'm too old to be putting up posters n shit but getting handed down my dad's The Beatles (white album) with  the poster inside and then finding a Fleetwood Mac 'Rumours' with a poster/booklet inside was pretty cool. Makes me feel like a kid opening the CD case to read the lyric booklet.

There's also a Rap & Hip Hop side subscription. Last month was Goodie Mob's Soul Food. I'm currently enjoying that side sub more than the main subscription. Next month is Doggystyle which I'm not that excited about but the past months were really good with Common, Erykah Badu, De La Soul, and Noname. 

the resurgence of vinyl is cool for new releases, but kind of sucks for buying used albums. i used to be able to pick up just about anything used for under $10...now that's a rare find. 

• Like 1

i never really understood the mono debate until i listened to those beatles mono re-releases, damn they sound good. granted, abbey road isn't one of those as it was recorded in stereo. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, CooterBrown said:

Someone back on The Site That Shat Be Named recommended Fuzz Club for their special releases. Today I received my King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard’s Polygondwanaland limited edition.

It is top shelf all the way. The sleeve is actually a hard cover book with two pages of artwork and lyrics for each song. Based on this release, I would highly recommend Fuzz Club.

Came to this thread because The Gizz.  Going to see them at Stubbs next month.

polygondwanaland is an interesting record because they released all the manufacturing rights and encouraged fans/record labels to press their own version of the album. there are a shit ton of different versions out there. 

Edited by stc

• 4 weeks later...

Let’s get this thread going again.

I recently got into this hobby myself.

There’s something pretty cool about opening up a new LP (especially a 180g pressing) and reading all the material and going through all of those motions with it.

My collection is small for now, but this stuff is pretty fun.

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Let’s get this thread going again.

I recently got into this hobby myself.

There’s something pretty cool about opening up a new LP (especially a 180g pressing) and reading all the material and going through all of those motions with it.

My collection is small for now, but this stuff is pretty fun.

Very true.  I assume that you missed out on this the first time around? 

I hated CDs so much at their introduction, but acknowledged the convenience of skipping around tracks and the easier storage, which also destroyed the attraction of cover art and liner notes.

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I hated CDs so much at their introduction, but acknowledged the convenience of skipping around tracks and the easier storage, which also destroyed the attraction of cover art and liner notes.

I recall an interview in The Rolling Stone with Keith Richards. It was at the height of the Mick and Keith troubles so everyone was paying attention to that and seemed to overlook this: Richards extolled the virtues of vinyl as digital reproduced too brightly. Must have been 1988 because shortly afterwards I bought my first CD: Talk Is Cheap, Richards' debut.

1 hour ago, stc said:

discogs is your friend. still some great deals on used records there. 

I'm done with discogs. Last two purchases I made 1) record never showed up. took the seller weeks to finally refund my money. they kept replying that they were looking for the tracking number and would only get back to me at the 11th hour after being reported before their account got suspended. 2) placed the order and the seller never responded with the shipping info. That was frustrating because it was one of TWO copies of Gary Stewart's Out of Hand available on either discogs or ebay. Ended up buying the one on ebay (for cheaper. didn't even check if it was on ebay becuase you normally can't find it for sale anywhere.) 

Anyway, happy to get the Gary Stewart. It's such a goddamn good record.

Very true.  I assume that you missed out on this the first time around? 

Yes. I’m 29, so I never really grew up with it much. My dad had a turntable, but it mostly sat unused after the change to the fancy 5 disc CD changer.

also, sign up for the amoeba newsletter. they have 15-20% off for a weekend every month and always have free shipping. and never miss a chance to go to one of their brick and mortar stores. could spend all day in there. 

also, sign up for the amoeba newsletter. they have 15-20% off for a weekend every month and always have free shipping. and never miss a chance to go to one of their brick and mortar stores. could spend all day in there. 

Cool. I’m a fan of their “What’s in my bag?” videos.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:29 PM, mdmost said:

I second this.  I did it for about 2 years.  I just turned it off last month as I just haven't had much time to listen to them.  

Got a lot of good stuff though: My Morning Jacket - Z, Nina Simone - Nina Simone Sings the Blues, Beck - Odelay.  There were definitely some I was less interested in, but the SWAP was easy.

Can we do gear nerd posts too?

I cleaned up the SL-1300 a bit and threw on an AT headshell and AT95E cart for now since I got them locally, and I’m now running it thru an ART DJPREII preamp, then my newer Yamaha receiver and to some 1988 Bose 10.2 II floor speakers. It’s nothing too fancy but it works really well for me.

I also found some rubber amp feet that fit pretty much perfectly, since one of the original feet was missing.

I am happy to report all auto functions work flawlessly.

What are you guys playing on?

Keep spinnin’.

e470d2b03006952791af03fc9e66a2b4.jpg

ab2a3850f4f96179765fbaf6316d34c8.jpg

bba910d9acef4364baa8995237d48fc3.jpg

f32f6fa49f892801f02a7b59230af74b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Barely worth $4.

Never heard of this band but it was a Wax Trax record so old school industrial. Not bad.

4f256cca5c08a270cfc5a210af78a049.heic

I was hoping to score some shitty punk or metal since that’s their main focus but the box was mostly 70s easy listening rock with a few other eras and genres.

The best of the rest.

eaee755564071f32785aa34c2569feaa.heic

d382775f9e02841b2ee81aabff40a629.heic

f2df8143bad2ddca7afc88916edc7c4c.heic

96ed313ee2135b8e985c979e1bec7886.heic

So, I have my parent's old Technics SL-1950.  I have the 33 RPM's keyed in, but when I switch to 45 RPM's, I can't get t right.  I'll have it for a bit, then it will start sounding wavy and slowdown/speed up.

Any of you vinyl experts have any ideas on what's going on there?

So, I have my parent's old Technics SL-1950.  I have the 33 RPM's keyed in, but when I switch to 45 RPM's, I can't get t right.  I'll have it for a bit, then it will start sounding wavy and slowdown/speed up.
Any of you vinyl experts have any ideas on what's going on there?

Cleaning the pots and switches with DeOxit can work miracles.

See here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

You can try to use it from the top by taking the knobs off and spraying and working it in, but it’s better if you can remove the bottom cover and attack them directly.

My current set up. If I'm listening to albums at home I use the Project above the album storage.

I mostly collect and DJ with 45s, so I'll have both record players going when I'm sorting through those. I have several wood crates full of 45s that will fit in that suitcase - I just pick what kinda stuff I want to play, load it up and go.

23b6265bd6e89b836d60e6a0222eca2e.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit the bullet on my first adult record player, Pro-Ject RPM 1 Carbon. I upgraded to the acrylic platter but not gonna touch the stylus until I do more research. The Ortofon Red it comes with should tide me over till it doesn't. Have the Pro-Ject dust cover coming over from Germany, but probably should have just opted for a generic so I don't have to wait. I have Pro-Ject leather mat, but am thinking I need the Pro-Ject weight just to complete the set.

The records are all out of storage and most are in the Expedit shelves.

When it's all set up I'll post pics. I love seeing other setups, so I should probably share...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

It's about to get krunk as fuck.

20180618_185734.jpg?dl=0

MOFI is so great. There's a decent sale still going on at Music Direct where you can get 20% off MOFI records. If I wasn't already over-vinyled, I'd get some more like that Layla record. As it stands, I have to get on a vinyl diet as I way more than I can listen to. 

• Like 1

Here is the Pioneer PL-518. The factory veneer has yellowed a bit from the original battleship gray-ish color. It has the original headshell, and an Empire cartridge which actually does sound pretty good.

Since all the controls are together on the aluminum panel, these are pretty easy to take apart and re-veneer them. I’m not yet sure what I will use. The dust cover isn’t perfect but at least it doesn’t have any cracks.

9ee04ad5d0c432425fc4412904cb94a9.heic

ff270918f8d1113e54db72e0ed0cd5d8.heic

61982c67709b2ee666bd8bad45342cdf.heic

6a7338a2036f8ac047f981d0f2446584.heic

A few examples of some redone ones:

082115f94beafc179e91fa204cbf5fee.jpg

01ae6ed23620e4c8548f303d230d1107.jpg

0b948e965bca1d73e1e846bfd8ee4b9b.jpg

I also put a Nagaoka MP-110 on the Technics, and I really like it.

136399447332c1735be737166bf70811.heic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I might have a problem.

I had been monitoring this one. It was listed at $300 originally. Guy was moving and wanting to dump it. He used it approximately 3 times.

But hey, it’s a mint $700 table that I got for 225. It sounds better than my other two.

Unfortunately, my SL-1300 also needs new RCAs now.

0d45fa14067e2ba0dfedbf63ba95b825.heic

On 6/18/2018 at 11:36 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Here is the Pioneer PL-518. The factory veneer has yellowed a bit from the original battleship gray-ish color. It has the original headshell, and an Empire cartridge which actually does sound pretty good.

Since all the controls are together on the aluminum panel, these are pretty easy to take apart and re-veneer them. I’m not yet sure what I will use. The dust cover isn’t perfect but at least it doesn’t have any cracks.

9ee04ad5d0c432425fc4412904cb94a9.heic

ff270918f8d1113e54db72e0ed0cd5d8.heic

61982c67709b2ee666bd8bad45342cdf.heic

6a7338a2036f8ac047f981d0f2446584.heic

A few examples of some redone ones:

082115f94beafc179e91fa204cbf5fee.jpg

01ae6ed23620e4c8548f303d230d1107.jpg

0b948e965bca1d73e1e846bfd8ee4b9b.jpg

I also put a Nagaoka MP-110 on the Technics, and I really like it.

136399447332c1735be737166bf70811.heic

The wood one is gorgeous. I'm ready to move on from my Audio Technica and I'm looking for something like that. 

10 hours ago, stc said:

if you've ever soldered anything, new rca's is a pretty easy fix. 

10 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Got parts on the way (going to do the ground as well), as well as new feet for the 518.

I've done it a few times now, you just have to be pretty careful since it's a tight space. I've read that internally grounding the table to itself doesn't actually ground it, but whatever. If it does it does.

I only buy from discogs sellers with feedback of over five hundred and 95% positive. Lots of guys who used to own small shops migrated to their marketplace after closing down their physical stores, and all the changes in distribution over the years have made it harder for the older guys flipping used records to pay rent and keep shops open when its all about gentrified high rent neighborhood places charging $35 for a Pearl Jam reissue to the old bald guy crowd.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, CooterBrown said:

Playing at Stubb's tonight

Go find an old copy of Abbey Road on Vinyl.  Exceptionally cool.  Huge stereo field with rich bass.  Ruined me for the old CD copy I had lying around.

I have an original. I’ll post pics later. Have an original Pet Sounds too. They were my dads.
  • Like 1

Just got back from vacation and these two classics were waiting for me.

If you haven’t heard The Beau Brummels, you are missing out. They were the original Alt-country-rock-Americana band. Completely badass. This one is a release from Run Out Groove Records which does some top shelf re-releases.

The second is the Third Man Records vault club release of the Captain Beefheart classic.

6ad8a1f9379829a63d7f687361c6f6ef.heic

• Like 1