Vinyl

CooterBrown

Just a general rule for people buying used records from ebay or discogs, EVERY RECORD ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET IS VG+. Keep this in mind whether you are buying or selling records, its best not to get upset if the record arrives in the mail and it looks and smells like a moldy basement. Just remember, it came from the internet, so it is VG+.

• Like 1

Just a general rule for people buying used records from ebay or discogs, EVERY RECORD ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET IS VG+. Keep this in mind whether you are buying or selling records, its best not to get upset if the record arrives in the mail and it looks and smells like a moldy basement. Just remember, it came from the internet, so it is VG+.

My Discogs policy is I don’t buy it unless they have a written description. It’s worked so far.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, MAUFRAIS said:

Thanks for the Discogs app recommendation. The cataloging will be a fun project. The appraisal feature is cool/concerning.

Keeping my Discogs app updated, has saved me from buying albums I already own several times. I've also had good luck with purchases from the Discogs marketplace. 

On 2/6/2019 at 11:34 AM, RiverwalkMiner said:

Keeping my Discogs app updated, has saved me from buying albums I already own several times. I've also had good luck with purchases from the Discogs marketplace. 

Yeah Discogs is the shit.

Going in and cataloging my collection was super fun. And yeah I've bought many records from the Discogs marketplace, and have had nothing but good experiences... even bought a few records from Europe and Asia that actually showed up within like a week. 

• 3 weeks later...

For Dallas posters, Good Records is moving to Garland Road next to Lounge Here. It's a much smaller space, though not as small as the original off Good Lattimer. Chris Penn and Tim DeLaughter said they're moving because the customer base has moved away from Greenville which funny enough is why I really don't go there anymore. 

• 5 weeks later...

I have the What's Going On and Nightfly One Steps and they're incredible. Only downside on What's Going On is the awkward drop out between Flyin' High and Save the Children because they couldn't find a better spot to split the sides to fit on the 45rpm record. 

And my sickness is such that I'm going to buy some Kallax shelves from Ikea just to fit all the records I already own.

Had to stop myself from buying an old stereophonic console from an estate sale down the street. I mean I'd like to have one but I really don't need to spend the money on something we're only going to listen to during dinner. 

Edited by mdmost

• 1 month later...

A few recent pickups.

1961 first repress of Kind of Blue. An original is a bit too rich for my blood unless I stumble upon a good deal at some point.

c4346e2cded191342be704153c97db2a.jpg

The first run of DSoTM MoFi from 1979. The second run from ‘81 with the italicized text at the top typically go for more for whatever reason, but they’re the exact same pressing as far as I’m aware (the UHQR is much different and much more expensive, of course).

2d1c43a6be7a7423e90985cc064f747d.jpg

And this relatively hard to find original pressing of Lola vs Powerman. Bought it from Panther City in Fort Worth, which is a great shop btw. It was super cheap cause the guy said it had some noise, but it ain’t bad at all.

41f228de54bfa7edbd1b2eb0fc9e3244.jpg

I also found another RL/LH copy of Zeppelin II in okay shape. Still on the hunt for an RL/RL copy in the wild.

The only thing I really wanted from RSD this year was the Best of Townes Van Zandt (one for me, one for my dad). The tiger eye vinyl is beautiful.

ea2c6cc290a7c4a3c94ecd2ddeb1eede.jpg

• Like 1

Man, I just use a basic spin clean. Works pretty damn well. I do have a goats hair brush too that I will use sometimes. I’ve also used the wood glue method on a few valuable records that I wanted to improve and it does seem to help a little more than just the spin clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Throw out your 80s records you're tired of listening to or haven't put on in years. I'll buy them from your local half price.

20190602-160641.jpg

Also picked up the kids are alright by the who. Didnt really fit in with the others though.

• Like 1

I’ll make a vinyl post later after I get some stuff in that I have ordered, but I finally got this bad boy back today, and I figured this was the best place for it. A Marantz 2245. The case I found on eBay and it’s an OE in nearly mint shape. Bottom is my trusty 2215B. The LEDs are a bit harsh and I may change back to incandescent, but I’d have to change the vellum paper again. Not hard, just kind of annoying. I also recently upgraded carts to the Nagaoka MP-150. I’m happy with it. I am casually looking for some Klipsch Forte II, though.

7c2d665bfdfbd61db12cbfe49f67591c.jpg

• Like 1

definitely not a fan of LED's on vintage gear. 

It’s hard to photograph for sure. It’s not as bad as the photo and is a bit different color IRL. That said, it does look worse than on my 2215B. I’ll likely change them out at some point. Likely after I hunt down a nicer faceplate to replace mine.

• 1 month later...

New pickups (fuck a picture, too many records):

Electric Ladyland - Jimmi Hendrix Experience

Hello I Must Be Going - Phil Collins 

Peter Gabriel 1977 (Car) - Peter Gabriel

Hot Fuss - The Killers

Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul (for $6.99. In the last crate I dug through. Almost came my pants)

Rattle and Hum - U2  (not my favorite U2 record but HOLY SHIT it sounds amazing on Vinyl. Maybe the best sounding record in my neophyte collection)

Still Standing - Goodie Mob

While I'm here - need recs for an affordable player. The one I have I got for free and it's just kind of a piece of shit. Don't need speakers - but something that plays loud would be great. Maybe keep it under $100. 

Edited by ztejas

58 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I would scour Craigslist for an older 80s table. Something like a Technics SL-D1, SL-D2, SL-D3, SL-Q2, SL-Q3 etc. they will be much better than anything modern at that price point.

Thanks homie 

On 7/20/2019 at 3:47 PM, ztejas said:

While I'm here - need recs for an affordable player. The one I have I got for free and it's just kind of a piece of shit. Don't need speakers - but something that plays loud would be great. Maybe keep it under $100. 

If you're in Austin, Sound Gallery on South Congress has a ton of used turntables. End of an Ear and Breakaway records also have used equipment. 

I’ll make a vinyl post later after I get some stuff in that I have ordered, but I finally got this bad boy back today, and I figured this was the best place for it. A Marantz 2245. The case I found on eBay and it’s an OE in nearly mint shape. Bottom is my trusty 2215B. The LEDs are a bit harsh and I may change back to incandescent, but I’d have to change the vellum paper again. Not hard, just kind of annoying. I also recently upgraded carts to the Nagaoka MP-150. I’m happy with it. I am casually looking for some Klipsch Forte II, though.

7c2d665bfdfbd61db12cbfe49f67591c.jpg

IMHO the 2230, 2245 and 2270 are the sweet spot of Vintage Marantz when you consider cost, sound quality and price. I did incandescent on my 2230 and need to do my 2245 but have been too lazy.
b265c77a4e4ef0322ed62655d77d8a37.jpg
dcb72805acae58ec9e0c3462c53f0662.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

How should I sell a collection? I have 1000+. All styles of music. Mostly rock, classical, blues, a little country. Couple dozen Japanese pressings and MFSL. Tons of classical cut outs still in shrink wrap. All stored straight and vertically. It’s time to downsize. Want to move all, not one at a time. 

How should I sell a collection? I have 1000+. All styles of music. Mostly rock, classical, blues, a little country. Couple dozen Japanese pressings and MFSL. Tons of classical cut outs still in shrink wrap. All stored straight and vertically. It’s time to downsize. Want to move all, not one at a time. 

Where are you located? Best way is to sell to a local shop.

In DFW: Josey, Doc’s.

In Austin: End Of An Ear, Breakaway, not sure what else.

43 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

What MFSL do you have? Always looking for those. 

Well, I came across a small piece of music history today.

I went to the DFW Record Show in Hurst. You can usually find some good stuff there, you just gotta find the right seller.

I was browsing and found a guy that had some great prices, and grabbed some cheap stuff from him (Dylan’s first album in mono, Night Train, Getz/Gilberto, Brubeck Outer Space), and then I saw something that nearly made me shit.

This is a collection of local bands in DFW that I were picked to have a few songs recorded and put on a compilation LP.

The guy who plays Ned Ryerson in Groundhog Day was in a band called Cast of Thousands, and they had a mutual friend who knew some kid named Steve Vaughan. He was invited to play with the band for these sessions and this they are SRV’s first ever recordings.

This is a ridiculously rare and expensive record (Discogs currently has 2, priced at about $800 and $1100 USD; both are in Europe, and apparently a local store sold a sealed copy on eBay for a grand), and something I never thought I would own. This guy had two of them somehow. He actually had upgraded his copy to a NM one, and wanted his others to go to good homes.

I bought nicer of the two for a song, and it included the poster as well. I had previously only listened to the two Cast Of Thousands tracks, but the others were all surprisingly decent as well.

Here’s some photos:

a90996e648f7ef046c65a167babef72a.jpg

a6405532aaad48ec40f2c8530ed053a0.jpg

1317a1934d39bcaebda69756d3e5635a.jpg

de8e914f4b4983dc8c0a66d6be91ff0b.jpg

c87a22d0d514e6fce1e684ed6b488faf.jpg

7492ba4d481de62f3bf9cedd0f0d0f95.jpg

Mr “Steve Vaughan” is sitting in the above photo.

Here’s an interview with Stephen Tobolowsky about it (he says Stevie was 14 at the time, but he was really either 16 or 17):

Discogs link.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been watching a show on Netflix about a British shop that does conservation and restoration of items brought to them. 

I highly suggest watching The Repair Shop season 2 ep11 to see the portable grammaphone. It’s a wound spring deal from 1924 that packs up into a one handed carry case about the size of an old brownie camera. Very cool piece of early 20th century mechanical tech. 

Busted out the Spin Wash today and cleaned up a bunch of LPs I picked up on ebay over the summer/fall, nothing earth-shattering but some pretty good deals on some of these...

The Cars lps, it was 4 for $20 (Candy-O not included), when I got the package Candy-O was in there as well, so that was nice.  A lot of these I lost or sold over the years, so some are replacements.  A couple like the Brave Combo and the "All This and World War II" are out of print, so grabbed those.  Slowly going through them all now to see how they turned out audio wise.  Have a great ebay seller that sells "pick any 3 lps for 15.99" (multi-sets count as 1 lp), found some good stuff, that Rod Stewart is NM, was rated VG at best, happy about that.  Got that one, the Stevie Wonder and the Steely Dan all for 15.99, not bad.

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

• Like 3

Busted out the Spin Wash today and cleaned up a bunch of LPs I picked up on ebay over the summer/fall, nothing earth-shattering but some pretty good deals on some of these...
The Cars lps, it was 4 for $20 (Candy-O not included), when I got the package Candy-O was in there as well, so that was nice.  A lot of these I lost or sold over the years, so some are replacements.  A couple like the Brave Combo and the "All This and World War II" are out of print, so grabbed those.  Slowly going through them all now to see how they turned out audio wise.  Have a great ebay seller that sells "pick any 3 lps for 15.99" (multi-sets count as 1 lp), found some good stuff, that Rod Stewart is NM, was rated VG at best, happy about that.  Got that one, the Stevie Wonder and the Steely Dan all for 15.99, not bad.
IMG_4475.JPG.ddef82d5d2dcf19b8430d51202fa4f8a.JPG
IMG_4477.JPG.add9ce14863c569a1d02f880f8ac18df.JPG
IMG_4478.JPG.a74b4080ea931bb47c1296edc3271718.JPG
IMG_4479.JPG.b3458e21be0ea4f959f0c8356a0ccd2e.JPG

Some good ones there. I found a limited edition yellow vinyl copy of the Steely Dan’s Greatest hits at a local antique mall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, CooterBrown said:

You’ll soon be able to do the most hipster thing ever...easily produce your own mix-vinyl.

Cuts 10” vinyl in real-time from any audio source. Blank vinyl discs will initially cost around $10.

https://phonocut.com/

This seems so stupid for so many reasons. Might as well break out the tape deck recorders. 

40 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I just pulled a white vinyl of the Beatles white album. I have no idea of value, but it looks cool as shit. Even has the head shots and posters with it.

Looks like $30-$40 if in good condition. https://www.google.com/search?q=beatles+white+album+vinyl+shop&rlz=1C1MSIM_enUS819US819&oq=beatles+white+album+vinyl+shop&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.3871j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I just pulled a white vinyl of the Beatles white album. I have no idea of value, but it looks cool as shit. Even has the head shots and posters with it.

One of these from 1978, probably.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/6125715

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/2082571

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/4491695

The UK one is worth quite a bit more.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/2024459

Looks like France and Canada had white reissues in ‘78, too.

Here’s a few recent cool things.

All originals except for Old No. 1 which is a first repress from ‘78.

Some were issued a few years after the albums originally did (Hi, How Are You in ‘88, and Rubberneck in ‘96).

The A Love Supreme is an OG mono copy. There was only ever actually one mono pressing, because it’s just a stereo fold down.

The Heartworn Highways deal is a Record Store Day release from years back. On their Facebook page one day they said they had come across a handful of copies in their warehouse, so I bought one. It also has the documentary included which is actually damn hard to find now.

KoB is a true first pressing.

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is a US mono. Missing a few tracks from the UK version but damn rare in its own right. I bought it for $2.

4d20ac6e2708c1d7d36a3825608f4f50.jpg

dc84d277f774e8a9ce849c8ff30a9bfe.jpg

e8a7ba697e0ef928d29ac178be7131eb.jpg

0414aa1d97d8d3dc462f4e32011d2b59.jpg

ba1908cb279d621d6cbb1a8c92ff653c.jpg

726e99ef6283c46473e5b1f7738ec011.jpg

98c372b42f4e5912ae429b3bdd8f24d3.jpg

392d2b70709d7b7669a6a33be0214241.jpg

e12d2302f50e9fdd927f71014fdad440.jpg

• Like 2