Vinyl

CooterBrown

48 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Well, that won’t break the bank.  When you want to step up (and you should) look at U-Turn turntables and an integrated amp.  When it comes to speakers you should go and listen.  No offense but you aren’t going to get much resolution from that setup. 

3 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I hope that didn't come across as harsh.  It's just something you'll quickly outgrow if you have any interest in listening to music vinyl.

No not at all! Just wanted something right now that just plays records that I can see how much I use it. If I end up using it enough I will be back asking what the real shit I should be buying is. 

50 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Where do I buy vinyl at? I want some nirvana albums. Also some oasis. Also what should I be paying? $35? I have no idea 

Well what are you wanting? If it's original pressings from the 90s, you're going to need to go to Discogs. If you just want Nirvana on vinyl and aren't picky about the quality, Amazon and Target are both having buy 2, get 1 free deals right now. Most of my Blue Note Tone Poets came from these Target sales. 

Or go to your local record store. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well what are you wanting? If it's original pressings from the 90s, you're going to need to go to Discogs. If you just want Nirvana on vinyl and aren't picky about the quality, Amazon and Target are both having buy 2, get 1 free deals right now. Most of my Blue Note Tone Poets came from these Target sales. 

Or go to your local record store. 

Not too picky. I bought on amazon

nirvana limited edition unplugged 

nirvana live at reading

oasis definitely maybe 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:53 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

What's everyone's last vinyl purchase? Mine is Modest Mouse, Good News for People Who Love Bad News Newbury exclusive. 

Khruangbin - Mordechai, Pearl Jam - Ten Target Edition 

From the Target buy 2 sale, Coltrane - Love Supreme, The Weekend - After Hours, Kacey Musgraves - Golden Hour 

Edited by RiverwalkMiner

On 2/9/2021 at 6:11 AM, Bogeywon said:

Man what a rabbit hole this shit is! Deluxe editions regular additions! I spent $250 last light! Had to just stop myself

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend setting up a profile on www.discogs.com. It's like an online database/marketplace for vinyl. You can catalog your collection, make a wantlist, search for new and used vinyl, etc.  Individuals buy and sell there and also pretty much every major record store across the country.

• Like 1

So I've seen these videos on YouTube where dudes show their top 10 most valuable albums (according to Discogs) and thought that might be fun.

The point obviously isn't to be braggy, because I don't collect vinyl for value... I collect them because I love these albums and want to listen to them... so obviously these aren't worth the max value as none of them are mint because I've listened to them a ton... and it's not like I have any that are crazy valuable, but it's fun to see regardless.

I sorted these based on median value according to Discogs.

1. Wilco - Summerteeth (2020 deluxe re-issue)
2. The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers (2014 mono re-issue)
3. The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (2014 mono re-issue)
4. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory (2009 UK re-issue)
5. Sufjan Stevens - Illionis (10th Anniversary Blue Marvel edition)
6. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (1970)
7. Uncle Tupelo - Anodyne (2010 re-issue)
8. Counting Crowes - Recovering the Satellites (1996)
9. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth (Limited edition blue vinyl)
10. Uncle Tupelo - Live at Lounge Ax (2020 RSD exclusive)

The only of these that "splurged" on were the two Uncle Tupelo albums. All of the others I either bought when released, or otherwise just got lucky picking them up when I first got into vinyl and didn't know any better, lol.  

For example, I think Recovering the Satellites was the first ever album I bought on Discogs. I got it for like $25-30 at the time and now its median value shows $75. I didn't even know at the time about different pressings, I just clicked on the first one I saw, lol.

Oh lawd. This can be a fun game but it depends, haha.

A lot of mine are newer collectible stuff which I bought all at retail. So, a few MMJ SRX jazz releases, and some MoFi One Steps.

Here is the top 10 though.

A Love Supreme - Coltrane - 1965 original mono issue. Impulse! mono masterings from this era are just stereo folddowns, but this is a rare one with the true first pressing labels with A-77 on them.

Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter - MMJ SRX copy from 2020.

Toadies - Rubberneck - OG on Interscope from 1996

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby - stereo copy from ‘63. A little rough but playable.

Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - OG US release. Bought for $2 at Josey Records in Dallas. It’s a little rough but I’m pretty surprised that they even priced it like that so low. See photo for proof.

7fc5e099a9e751e96169a11b12eadf78.jpg

Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt - OG on Poppy. The record I have actually spent the most money on.

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue - MMJ SRX copy from 2020. I have had a few OGs of this but they were really beat. I still would like to get a nice original since they aren’t all that hard to find.

SRV & Double Trouble - Couldn’t Stand The Weather - MoFi OneStep from this year.

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um - MoFi OneStep from 2020.

Miles Davis All Stars - Walkin’ - OG compilation from 1957. Not sure why this is so high to be honest. It’s a compilation of tracks from the early 50s.

• Hook 'Em 1

Great list.

And yeah it's funny how I lucked into a lot of "most valuable" ones. Like those Beatles mono remasters from 2014.  That was basically right when I started my vinyl collection and I literally bought those (along with Rubber Soul and Revolver) straight off Amazon for like $25 or whatever to help kick-start my collection.  And it was a buddy of mine who brow-beat me into getting the mono versions. I was just going to nab the stereo versions and he was like, "DON'T YOU DARE! GET THE MONO VERSIONS YOU PHILISTINE!"  LOL.

Now mint versions of those go for well over $100. Sgt. Peppers goes for like $200.  

My DIscogs top ten most valuable are:

1. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly Mobile Fidelity One Step- easily in my top 10 albums

2. The Story of Blue Note Records Box Set from VMP- my gateway into Blue Note

3. The Story of Stax Records Box Set from VMP

4. The Women of Motown Box Set from VMP- probably the Anthology I listen to the least.

5. Saba - Care For Me (VMP Rap & Hip Hop #14). It's insane how much this goes for. I'm trying to sell mine to fund more record purchases as I never listen to it.

6 The Story of Ghostly International Box Set from VMP

7. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On- easily in my top 5 albums

8. Beck - Sea Change MOFI. Another top 5 album

9. Noname - Telefone (VMP Rap & Hip Hop #1)- I'm not a huge fan of hip hop but it's a very enjoyable record

10 De La Soul -De La Soul Is Dead VMP exclusive - Another one I never listen to and need to sell.

If we're excluding box sets as they're normally going to cost more:

The National - Trouble Will Find Me (Deluxe Edition)

The National - Cherry Tree Vol 1 (Cherry Tree Club record)

The Beatles- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band MOFI

The Beatles - Revolver MOFI

It's interesting that most of the individual records that have the most value are among my favorites and were ones I had no issue paying a premium to get. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Man I *ALMOST* splurged on that Beck - Sea Change MoFI album SO MANY TIMES when I first got into vinyl. It was one of the first albums I thought of when I started to build my collection but it was already out of print and crazy expensive when I got started.  

Thankfully they finally re-issued it and I snagged that version.

Did you get it for retail when it was originally released or get it later?

Edited by oSuJeff97

Had no idea those beatles mono reissues were worth anything, bought all those when they came out. There's an Austin band that put out 1 record several years ago then broke up, shapes have fangs, last I checked it was selling for over $100. Also saw recently that the growlers city club is selling for $200. No telling what else I have that has become worth something over the years. I'm likely never going to sell any of these so it's not something I usually pay attention to.

1 hour ago, stc said:

Had no idea those beatles mono reissues were worth anything, bought all those when they came out. There's an Austin band that put out 1 record several years ago then broke up, shapes have fangs, last I checked it was selling for over $100. Also saw recently that the growlers city club is selling for $200. No telling what else I have that has become worth something over the years. I'm likely never going to sell any of these so it's not something I usually pay attention to.

Yeah I think they pressed way fewer of the mono remasters vs. stereo, and of course all of the vinyl nerds want mono, so hence the inflated value.

And yeah I'm with you... like I said I buy because I want to listen, not for "collectable" value.  But it's still just kind of fun to see. :)

In other news, my Ortofon Blue just arrived... got it hooked up and am currently listening to some of my favorites.

I know it needs some run-in time, but one thing that's immediately evident is the Blue's superior handling of the high end. Everything on the upper end seems a lot more "crisp" if that makes sense.

Or it could just be the placebo effect of my brain wanting to justify the purchase, lol.

• Like 1

My Top 10 max value accoring to Discogs. I have been cherry picking the jazz from my dad's collection for the past few years. 

1. Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers (1st orginal pressing with gold stereo sticker 1959)

2. Back to Mono  - Phil Spector Box Set

3. My Favorite Things - John Coltrane (1961)

4. Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys (8 panel jacket)

5. House Party - Jimmy Smith (1958)

6. La La Land Soundtrack (Blue vinyl)

7. The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan (1st US stero release 1964)

8. Monk's Dream - Monk Quartet (1963)

9. Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones (reissue with zipper 2015)

10. Poetry for the Beat Generation - Jack Kerouac and Steve Allen (2017)  

Edited by RiverwalkMiner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah I think they pressed way fewer of the mono remasters vs. stereo, and of course all of the vinyl nerds want mono, so hence the inflated value.
And yeah I'm with you... like I said I buy because I want to listen, not for "collectable" value.  But it's still just kind of fun to see.
In other news, my Ortofon Blue just arrived... got it hooked up and am currently listening to some of my favorites.
I know it needs some run-in time, but one thing that's immediately evident is the Blue's superior handling of the high end. Everything on the upper end seems a lot more "crisp" if that makes sense.
Or it could just be the placebo effect of my brain wanting to justify the purchase, lol.

Nah, it is definitely a real thing. Microline and shibata styli will extract even more detail, though they can tend to be more bright sounding.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well like everything A/V related, it really depends on your budget.  

I started with the Pro-Ject Debut III, which was a great entry-level to nice gear because it was/is very upgradable. (I've since upgraded the platter, cartridge and stylus).

Looks like they don't make that any more, and now they have the Debut Carbon, which is very solid.  I'm sure others will have other recommendations.

Then you're talking receiver and/or pre-amp and speakers, of which there are like a million options.

I'd start with a really solid turntable and then work up from there.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

Also pre-ordered Cannonball Adderley – “Somethin’ Else” and Joe Henderson – “Page One.”

These two came in over the weekend while I was out of town. Man, they sound so good.  Really great.  It seems these blue note classic reissues are can't misses so far.

The paper sleeves are stupid though. I pulled Somethin' Else out of the sleeve and set it on the platter. With the needle not even cued up, there were massive amounts of pops coming through my speakers due to all the static those dumb sleeves give off. I've heard the next round in April won't have them. April 9th is Moanin' and Soul Station. Preorders already up on Amazon. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

If you haven't yet, I'd recommend setting up a profile on www.discogs.com. It's like an online database/marketplace for vinyl. You can catalog your collection, make a wantlist, search for new and used vinyl, etc.  Individuals buy and sell there and also pretty much every major record store across the country.

I’ve bought out of print records from stores in Germany, France, and Japan on Discogs. Always had a great experience.

On 2/12/2021 at 8:10 PM, Bogeywon said:

This record player I bought blows! But I’m hooked so what’s a good one with some speakers? Send links please

FADC2536-345B-4D4E-84B9-9813116F40FE.jpeg

First thing I would do is get this AIO nonsense out of my mind.  They all suck.  Seriously, they all suck.

I would be looking at an entry level Pro-Ject or U-Turn turntable.  Then I'd get an integrated amp.  Preferably with a built-in phono stage.  Next I would establish a budget for speakers are do some listening if at all possible.  Speakers should be half your budget.  You can get a solid starting setup for about $1k.  That does not include a subwoofer.  If the integrated amp doesn't have a phono stage you can get it built into the U-Turn for another $70.

Emotiva Integrated Amp

UTurn Orbit Basic Turntable

Monitor Audio Radius Speakers

This setup will set you back about $1100 and would be a great starting point.  However, speakers are subjective and I do suggest that you listen before you buy.

ETA: That helmet collection made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Edited by VABuckeye

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

First thing I would do is get this AIO nonsense out of my mind.  They all suck.  Seriously, they all suck.

I would be looking at an entry level Pro-Ject or U-Turn turntable.  Then I'd get an integrated amp.  Preferably with a built-in phono stage.  Next I would establish a budget for speakers are do some listening if at all possible.  Speakers should be half your budget.  You can get a solid starting setup for about $1k.  That does not include a subwoofer.  If the integrated amp doesn't have a phono stage you can get it built into the U-Turn for another $70.

Emotiva Integrated Amp

UTurn Orbit Basic Turntable

Monitor Audio Radius Speakers

This setup will set you back about $1100 and would be a great starting point.  However, speakers are subjective and I do suggest that you listen before you buy.

ETA: That helmet collection made me throw up in my mouth a little.

That’s not to bad. That’s about what I was hoping to spend. Also those helmets has just made me sad lately lol! But the Woodson helmet is awesome still

On 2/7/2021 at 10:16 PM, VABuckeye said:

Well, that won’t break the bank.  When you want to step up (and you should) look at U-Turn turntables and an integrated amp.  When it comes to speakers you should go and listen.  No offense but you aren’t going to get much resolution from that setup. 

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audio-technica-at-lp120x-kanto-yu6-turntable-package-ttl-setup?variant=32376999051354&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2019-04-04&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4I-Tjef-7gIVRr7ACh1olwIdEAQYAiABEgIQbfD_BwE

how about one of these combos? 

Tone Poets are pretty much the Music Matters guys mass producing Blue Note titles in 33 rpm. There is no overlap between Music Matters titles and Tone Poets. There was some overlap in the Blue Note 80 series but those aren't the exact same quality as Music Matters. Tone Poets are mostly all gatefold covers with session pictures inside. Kevin Gray masters and they are pressed at RTI, same as Music Matters. Joe Harley from Music Matters picks the titles and also oversees the mixing. It's going to be more out of the blue titles versus the Classics which are the most popular or well known titles. 

Classics are mastered by Kevin Gray and pressed at Optimal in Germany. If you want either right now, it's best to grab them as some of the titles from both lines are sold out and awaiting repress. With the backlog at pressing plants, it might be awhile before you see either being repressed. 

• Like 1