Vinyl

CooterBrown

I was going to post this in the Mexican Music thread. But if anyone ever sees the album Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, pick it up the moment you see it. In addition to being some of the best Mexican Brass Band music ever made, it has a really great cover that pushed boundaries as to what was allowed at the time. I know one guy who had a copy, then he saw another one in a store and didn't buy it. He has never seen it again. If you don't have the money then you can take the record and stash it in the Classical section where nobody will take it before you get back.

• Like 2

I was going to post this in the Mexican Music thread. But if anyone ever sees the album Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, pick it up the moment you see it. In addition to being some of the best Mexican Brass Band music ever made, it has a really great cover that pushed boundaries as to what was allowed at the time. I know one guy who had a copy, then he saw another one in a store and didn't buy it. He has never seen it again. If you don't have the money then you can take the record and stash it in the Classical section where nobody will take it before you get back.

This is some sage advice right here.

Check out this sweet deal I saw today bro.

b2932b3c5b07c65001b07829082d1c6d.heic

What.

The.

Fuck.

The store is cool but their regular shit is way overpriced. To be fair it’s pretty much all in VG shape or better and it seems like they clean them and put them in an outer sleeve before they go out on the floor, but good lord.

An original run (but not first press) they seem to put a big mark up on, as well as record club versions, which doesn’t make sense.

He’s in Tarrant County, so I doubt it.

Is it pretty rare? $25 doesn’t seem bad if it’s not common.

tzra-hawk’s post is satire, if that helps.

This was at Forever Young in Grand Prairie.

You can still find some okay buys there, especially if you want it in good shape. Bought SRV Soul to Soul and Led Zeppelin - CODA, both are almost NM.

They had this, too.

98e84cbbb6ad07982b28962e7b6308d5.heic

I passed.

Ah. I didn’t know that was a satire post. Some sort of backstory I don’t know about?

Here’s a good story about it. Just kind of a running joke.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/every_crate_diggers_nightmare_record_store_has_whipped_cream_and_other

In other news, my turntable issue seems like it was just the preamp. I replicated it on my PLX as well. Not sure why I just dismissed it because it was new, but amazon sent me a new one and it has been so far so good. I still may install those upgraded RCAs on either the Technics or the PL-518, though. We’ll see.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, trza-hawk said:

Oh, the hours I spent as a kid staring at that cover of my parents copy.

On 6/23/2018 at 10:14 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

This is some sage advice right here. emoji108.png

13 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Here’s a good story about it. Just kind of a running joke.

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/every_crate_diggers_nightmare_record_store_has_whipped_cream_and_other

In other news, my turntable issue seems like it was just the preamp. I replicated it on my PLX as well. Not sure why I just dismissed it because it was new, but amazon sent me a new one and it has been so far so good. I still may install those upgraded RCAs on either the Technics or the PL-518, though. We’ll see.

I belong to the group Vinyl Hoarders United on Facebook, and Whipped Cream often comes up. Posting a picture of your copy is either a badge of honor or a scarlet letter. 

Full Disclosure - I paid $0.99 for my copy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Added another to my “collection” yesterday. Finally got my hands on an SL-1200 MK2, and for only $100 at that. It needed some work, as the right channel was in and out, the tonearm bearings were a little stiff, and the VTA adjuster was seized, but everything seems to be good now. I was worried I’d need a new tonearm, but surprisingly it’s been fine after I tweaked it a bit.

I had to take the tonearm completely out, which is actually pretty easy. I disassembled the VTA assembly, cleaned it, and re-greased it. Works well now.

393ede0fb21eafb06f660e077381ad11.jpg

The new RCA leads and ground wire I already had from not using on my SL-1300, so I used them here. More disassembly to access but easy solder job.

17210f440d6eb6afa052ac47b26d2df6.jpg

We good! Only thing left is to get some dust cover hinge caps for the lid to sit in, and a new tonearm rest (which will be here tomorrow). That plus some minor cosmetics, maybe.

d6016dd9e22e6e3fc0e5da1d2c756e67.jpg

dafd49b1f92a356db7d62a1337f48a99.jpg

• Like 2

The movie/music room is almost done. All the LPs, CDs, SACDs, and Laserdiscs are on their shelves, none of which are organized. (The Blu-ray/DVD wall is behind the seating and not pictured. And also not organized. Zzzz)

Many of the LPs are sleeved, the rest of the sleeves are waiting for one of the kids to need a chore.

Out of necessity, this room is on the second floor. I'm rethinking the safety of that decision.e492391ecac12f870447ec1b6982914e.jpga0f079f868640d4a5ad7bd7346cdd865.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Y'all seem to know a bunch about turntables. I've got my old man's thorens tdf-160. It sounds great, and the 33 setting works fine, but it plays 45s too slow. What could be causing that? Do I possibly need a new belt?  

Probably. This guy is really good & charges reasonably if you need to have it repaired https://www.facebook.com/flatrateelectronics/

The belt might not be moving up to the 45rpm part of the pulley. You can put the platter on upside down and see what it’s doing (or not doing).

If it is not, it could be the belt, pulley angle, or the suspension being worn/out of adjustment. Apparently Thorens are picky about having genuine belts as well. A genuine one will have a White Thorens logo.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The belt might not be moving up to the 45rpm part of the pulley. You can put the platter on upside down and see what it’s doing (or not doing).

If it is not, it could be the belt, pulley angle, or the suspension being worn/out of adjustment. Apparently Thorens are picky about having genuine belts as well. A genuine one will have a White Thorens logo.

I just bought a genuine thorens belt off amazon. Will report back. Thanks for the advice. 

pics remind me of some guy on Ebay who would take ridiculous steps to make authentic looking promo stickers for classic album pressings from back in the day to get super high bids for a copy of some album with a promo sticker on it. I would feel sorry for the people who over pay for stuff like that, but who would part with more of their money for an old promo sticker?

Had a nice haul today.

8cdf8f4eba68b9d092795da1b7e5b837.jpg

The find of the day was the “Are You Experienced?” reissue. It was in the dollar section with a $1 tag. It’s in VG+ condition. Win.

I also won a Goodwill online auction a last week for an early 80s Pioneer SA-940 integrated amplifier and TX-540 tuner. Some of this old stuff is dirt cheap for some very quality gear. I paid about $45 shipped for a good, true 70wpc stereo setup. It’s not as pretty as say a 70s SX-850 or similar, but it’s got better specs (.009% THD, 86dB SNR), and is cheap. It matches the time period of my SL-1200, anyway.

cd4c4c73357e1ef4aa8ebcad6ea362e8.jpg

I’m still on the lookout for a cheap Marantz, as well. 2015, 2220b, 2230, 2245, etc.

• Like 1

I love the way live recordings sound on vinyl. I have a Bowie live in 1976 vinyl that I play constantly. 

Also, I recently picked up a copy of a record Steve Earle & The Dukes made after they'd just recorded "So You Wannabe An Outlaw." I don't know how to describe why this is so much better than digital, but It just feels like you're at the show.

eb41741c-386b-4192-8dbf-2eefd054fb6f

Nice haul, Anton. I need a good version of Dark Side of the Moon. I don't want a digital remaster though. To the person above, that's part of the reason people will pay more for an older copy of a vinyl record. There's a point with some of these where you're just buying a vinyl version of the CD or digital download with some of these remasters or reissues. That's why I like MOFI records. I've got an Ebay alert for MOFI DSOTM albums. 

I recently added a Vincent Pho-8 phono pre-amp as my Adcom was having numerous problems with the phono portion. Really loud hum, the audio would drop out of one side and you'd have to switch to another component and switch back to clear it up.  It all sounds great now. 

Edited by mdmost

I don’t have any MoFi stuff yet, but I’d like to try one.

With the old stuff, you of course have the guarantee that it was mastered from the analog tapes as MD said, but I also enjoy the hunt of going to a record store and flipping through the bins and finding something I am looking for. So far I have only ordered vintage vinyl online twice. Once to replace my locally sourced original copy of In The Court of the Crimson King, which played fine but was pretty beat up, and once to get a harder to find OST and single (The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, and the Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song single, which I bought for the B side, since that particular song was never on a studio album release).

Josey Records has a little stand for MoFi stuff, as well. I always check to see what they have, but haven’t pulled the trigger on any yet.

Had a nice haul today.

8cdf8f4eba68b9d092795da1b7e5b837.jpg

The find of the day was the “Are You Experienced?” reissue. It was in the dollar section with a $1 tag. It’s in VG+ condition. Win.

I also won a Goodwill online auction a last week for an early 80s Pioneer SA-940 integrated amplifier and TX-540 tuner. Some of this old stuff is dirt cheap for some very quality gear. I paid about $45 shipped for a good, true 70wpc stereo setup. It’s not as pretty as say a 70s SX-850 or similar, but it’s got better specs (.009% THD, 86dB SNR), and is cheap. It matches the time period of my SL-1200, anyway.

cd4c4c73357e1ef4aa8ebcad6ea362e8.jpg

I’m still on the lookout for a cheap Marantz, as well. 2015, 2220b, 2230, 2245, etc.

Love vintage pioneer gear, that thing is pretty ugly though. I've got an sa-9100 and matching tx-9100 tuner that sound great. Have a little marantz 1040 in my 2nd setup that I like quite a bit.

20 hours ago, BoomMF said:

All this MOFI talk and this jam of jams arrived today:

20180714_195810.jpg?dl=0

MFSL used to be nails, but I've heard no-so-good things about the latest incarnation of the company.  Not all new releases are created equal apparently.

I don't think they're going to be as great as they once were when they were the only game in town for high quality audio but all the Miles stuff I have, the Ryan Adams Love Is Hell box set, and my greatest audio I own, Sea Change by Beck, are all outstanding in terms of quality. 

Jealous of the 666 album. Used to sneak listens of it when I was little thinking it was satanic. Lulz. Need to ask my dad if I can have his copy.

I’m going to be honest, but I had never heard it before buying. I had heard plenty of good things about it, but hadn’t listened myself. It’s actually a great way to experience a new vinyl, though.

But man, what a terrific, musically diverse album. It’s fantastic. This copy plays more or less as NM, too. Almost zero surface noise at all.

Of course it’s got that groovy label, too.

03cb9bb9e53985a0a21c776e7074d2f2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was in New Orleans with the family. Went to several places, but the family was there and they were so bored at the record stores after 5 minutes. I need to go back by myself so I can really dig through the Jazz/NOLA music. Need to educate myself.

One place was just a random boutique my wife wanted to go on Magazine. They had a small section, picked up High n Dry first US pressing.

Second was Peaches. It’s in an old Woolworth’s. Much like Waterloo or a smaller Amoeba. Great selection, could have spent hours there. Huge selection of Beatles, picked up The Beatles Again, the first label print of Hey Jude before they decided to rename it Hey Jude. Different label numbers on record and cover. Not really rare, but cool to find.

Finally was Euclid Records. That place is amazing. Upstairs they have 100s of boxes of 45s, sorted by label and other criteria. I barely knew where to begin in the whole place. Next time I will go by myself and budget hours of time. And there is a delicious pizza place next door. It’s appropriately called Delicious Pizza.

Picked up Big Sur Folk Festival 1970.

b9e0e7b5f5979f57adfd10496c31ddfd.jpg

41f2c6faf84f6e05646a7ac636100207.jpg

• Like 1

For anyone on Discogs, what's your username? Mine is 'thedjbambino'. We can be fwiends.

If you're digging without Discogs, how do you do it? I was completely lost before cataloging my collection. I'd buy doubles or reissues and not even realize it. Having used Discogs for a few years now, I feel confident that I'm paying a fair price for whatever I'm looking at, and I'm more confident about my wants/haves. I still need to catalog my 45s & CDs, but I don't usually search for those anyway.

This a little off topic, but we don’t really have anywhere to post it so I’ll put it here.

I had been looking for an old Marantz receiver to replace the early 80s Pioneer I was using. I found a little 2215B on the Goodwill auction site that I threw a bid on at the last second. Because I didn’t realize I had won (never got a confirmation screen or an email), I also bought a Yamaha CR-620 a few days later and didn’t realize I had won both until later, but I digress.

They were local so me so I picked them up.

The 2215B was pretty dirty but complete:

0b8422e275a287b6961e823d805cb5d7.jpg

I opened it up:

5c593f243296dfa4b8ba05f981daf7ec.jpg

44c63f2264eee14888eefaa1e1b67332.jpg

d2d4d35a82388cbd1b6f8963529c6f54.jpg

Everything was in order so I just gave it a nice clean with some QD Cleaner and also lubricated the pots.

I also added new LEDs for the dial, tuning meter, stereo light, and needle. Everything now works flawlessly.

The Yamaha was in working condition aside from a left channel that was kinda going in and out, but a similar cleaning job on that one has everything working fine. The lights were also replaced but they don’t look nearly as nice as the Marantz.

The 2215B is small (15 watts per channel), but certainly puts out enough power for efficient enough speakers. It’s probably underrated by 5-10w per channel anyway.

The Yamaha is more powerful at 35wpc, but both sound great.

LEDs are also hard to photograph, but here are some other photos.

ef4e1356eaebe3e57864d7bb25db3ec3.jpg

6afd5dd15ea85977252164c066799baf.jpg

49605b7f384633937946e5cfb8255a37.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/30/2018 at 10:22 AM, TxArch said:

For anyone on Discogs, what's your username? Mine is 'thedjbambino'. We can be fwiends.

If you're digging without Discogs, how do you do it? I was completely lost before cataloging my collection. I'd buy doubles or reissues and not even realize it. Having used Discogs for a few years now, I feel confident that I'm paying a fair price for whatever I'm looking at, and I'm more confident about my wants/haves. I still need to catalog my 45s & CDs, but I don't usually search for those anyway.

I agree Discogs has helped me stop from buying doubles several times.

I'm "csvalles1228" on Discogs. I got back into vinyl after my divorce in 2016.

My Discogs collection is almost up to 200. Can't imagine  that would have happened with the wife still around. Ha!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

I agree Discogs has helped me stop from buying doubles several times.

I'm "csvalles1228" on Discogs. I got back into vinyl after my divorce in 2016.

My Discogs collection is almost up to 200. Can't imagine  that would have happened with the wife still around. Ha!

Nice, you've got some good jazz albums in your collection!