Vinyl

CooterBrown

I totally nerded out and went to the DFW record show today. Most was overpriced, but I did find two good tables. One lady had everything marked $50 or less for $10 each, so I stocked up on Floyd.

The Queen, ZZ Top Tejas, and M83 I got elsewhere but the rest were bought there. Not bad for under $100. The LZII is to replace my reissue version, so now I have originals of all of the LZ studio albums. It’s not an RL mastering but it’ll do for now.

c6c24604f5a4987bed75ba7939609430.jpg

e5468e7b6d15bb8078544d1846bec4df.jpg

94b111b54c004ea54abc7c5f286ed4bc.jpg

• Like 3

In this case it was more to complete a collection. The one I had before was I think a 1977 reissue, so it was still an analog master, but it’s just cool to have them all from when they originally released. I mean, I paid $10 for it, it’s not like I’m breaking the bank here.

Most times I don’t really care, but if it’s an older artist or album, I’m still going to get an older issue of it over a new release.

A lot of remasters are done from digital files or are a flat copy of the CD put on vinyl. It's why I like MOFI as they go straight off the master tapes in most cases. 
Mofi is great...and they are all reissues. There's nothing wrong with an original pressing but they aren't inherently better, just depends on the album.

11 hours ago, stc said:

I do not at all understand the need to have original pressings. I say this as someone who owns a lot of vinyl.

Are you speaking to 70s/80s/90s reissues in general, or do you think that today's "180 gram blue razzle dazzle holgraphic picture disc" pressings are as "good" as original pressings?

12 hours ago, TxArch said:

Are you speaking to 70s/80s/90s reissues in general, or do you think that today's "180 gram blue razzle dazzle holgraphic picture disc" pressings are as "good" as original pressings?

definitely 70's-90's. there are some worthy modern day pressings but they are the exception rather than the rule. 

On 8/6/2018 at 9:03 AM, stc said:

definitely 70's-90's. there are some worthy modern day pressings but they are the exception rather than the rule. 

Well, count me in the "original pressings are better" camp, at least for certain genres & bands. There's just something about holding an original BLP deep groove in your hand that's made it through 60 years, with the accompanying blemishes & wear from previous owners. For rock I don't really mind early reissues, but for jazz, blues, & soul, I definitely seek out first or second pressings.

8 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

Thanks, Jazz was the soundtrack to my youth.  My dad was a public radio station manager for over 30 years. I raided his closet  last summer, and I still have about 40-50 more to add to Discogs. 

Oh shit nice. If you have any jazz records you're looking to sell, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Let’s bump this.

I found a personal grail recently. It’s not worth a whole lot or anything, it’s just something I really wanted, and I found it in the wild.

An original US press London Calling. Epic Records, 1979. The hype sticker (would be the 19th track), label, and jacket don’t mention Train in Vain at all, but it’s there; track D5.

f5804b3c3301ab997815b8e76a273d8e.jpg

a40bbafc6c73a581c6e1eb7012a26038.jpg

5cbd881732567be264fcffed8a4af991.jpg

Also, some other recent acquisitions, all Sire Records issues:

2b6d967d7e3b837a7d9353ab61a2ed8c.jpg

ecf36f7cfe490dfef085a2a390de5770.jpg

2cf7688d1069ff80974e04033c8ef165.jpg

ac87d93f11b27c516410a76d58739302.jpg

I still need Ramones S/T and Speaking in Tongues.

• Like 2

Some of you may know about the Robert Ludwig cut of Led Zeppelin II. It was a “hot” master (ordered this way by Eddie Kramer), and was originally issued and produced this way.

Ahmet Ertegun (Co-founder and president of Atlantic), brought home a copy and it skipped on his daughters record player, so he ordered it to be remastered.

These first press RL cuts are pretty sought after, and they go for about $80-100 on average on Discogs.

Today, I found one for $4. It was a little beat up, and it is a copy that has a Lee Hulko master on side two (even though it is the same master as the RL cut), but man, what a score. The bass is incredible!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
What record cleaners do y'all have, & do you love it?

My old method was to lay the record on a few microfiber cloths, spray with cleaner (I used Lasermedia VNC8 from Amazon), then use a goat hair brush (knockoff of the Okki Nokki one, also on Amazon), wipe the rest with a microfiber, change sides and repeat, then spray with distilled water and wipe again with a different microfiber, and repeat on other side.

It worked pretty well, but I recently upgraded to a Spin-Clean. It’s $80 for the starter kit, but all that other shit I talked about is probably $40 or more anyway. The Spin Clean makes it super duper easy and cleans better. I was even able to make a few of my bad ones a little better that I had previously cleaned.

eead8f3676aac20c94fe2d8df39eae3d.jpg

SPIN-CLEAN - STARTER KIT RECORD WASHER SYSTEM Mk2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UKSZUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AsBOBbHGX9S05

If you’re gonna clean a lot at once, I would recommend ordering some more of the cloths or just getting the deluxe kit. I also use a few microfibers to lay them on to dry the rest of the way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

My old method was to lay the record on a few microfiber cloths, spray with cleaner (I used Lasermedia VNC8 from Amazon), then use a goat hair brush (knockoff of the Okki Nokki one, also on Amazon), wipe the rest with a microfiber, change sides and repeat, then spray with distilled water and wipe again with a different microfiber, and repeat on other side.

It worked pretty well, but I recently upgraded to a Spin-Clean. It’s $80 for the starter kit, but all that other shit I talked about is probably $40 or more anyway. The Spin Clean makes it super duper easy and cleans better. I was even able to make a few of my bad ones a little better that I had previously cleaned.

SPIN-CLEAN - STARTER KIT RECORD WASHER SYSTEM Mk2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UKSZUU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AsBOBbHGX9S05

If you’re gonna clean a lot at once, I would recommend ordering some more of the cloths or just getting the deluxe kit. I also use a few microfibers to lay them on to dry the rest of the way.

Thanks. Yeah, I have a ton that need cleaning so I'm looking at machines.

18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

In all my days of records being the only thing we had, and having a bunch of them, I didn’t think I ever actually cleaned one.

Since most of my purchases are 50 years old or Goodwill digs, they sometimes have a nice layer of dust & dirt on them. Don't wanna fuck up my stylus.

30 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

In all my days of records being the only thing we had, and having a bunch of them, I didn’t think I ever actually cleaned one.

Wait until you buy your first $1000 stylus.  Shit, wait till you buy your first $150 stylus.

Lifting the needle to find a mass of gunge sucks donkey dong.

Also, generally speaking, cleaning a record, there's something soothing about it - not unlike the whole hobby itself. It's a process that is itself satisfying.

Also, the Pro-ject and VPI cleaners are a fucking vacuum in an ugly industrial housing that just screams overkill.  I love it when things scream overkill.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 2

I have a Spin Clean. I need to break it out on some of these old MOFIs I'm buying. I'll usually give the record a once over with a vinyl brush just to clear the surface dust off. Spin Clean is a bit of a beating. A vacuum cleaner is my next big purchase. If I'd stop buying MOFIs, I could get one fairly quickly.

Here are a few from my small collection. Some digital vinyl mixed in there, but unliked the sleeve and colored vinyl from a collector standpoint. The Beatles record was my mom’s. It is in mono. The Star Wars soundtrack is a first pressing I believe. Other highlight for me are the two desert session records original man’s ruin records releases.

4jFx7VQV_o.jpeg

wY3cBmWg_o.jpeg

wJgKxdee_o.jpeg

J30JdJDe_o.jpeg

Ty1oSEqI_o.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Some recents:

67de29689281183713aa194b4cbfdcf6.jpg

Pretty self-explanatory here. Morrison Hotel is a late 1970 repress. Ramones is a 1978 reissue. Others are original pressings. All I need from Talking Heads now is Fear of Music.

cf9db3811a48519cacf8a010563f1f2c.jpg

Upper left is A Nice Pair, which is the first two Pink Floyd albums that were later sold as a 2LP set. It is the early uncensored cover. Atom Heart Mother is a 1975 reissue. Next to that is King Crimson - Islands. The SRV is a 2015 RSD release I had been hunting of the 1983 show at El Mocambo in Toronto. It was only ever released in Canada and was promo only, so this was the first time for it on vinyl here. One popped up on a Discogs for a solid price so I snagged it. Skynyrd is a 1975 reissue and the rest are originals.

4edb377faf5156f6b04efd06627ac995.jpg

The Pet Sounds is an original Capitol rainbow label mono. That one was a lucky score for $5. It’s a little beat up but it plays okay.

Nashville Skyline and Blood on the Tracks are recent additions, but the other Dylan isn’t.

• Like 3

I picked up a copy of the 2016 reissue, remastered, 180g Floyd's Meddle recently and...damn. I never thought it possible to improve the sound of that album. I need to get Animals now immediately. And I've always loved the inner gatefold or whatever you call it.

These dudes are tripping balls and stoned AF.

meddle_lp_us_inside.jpg

• Like 1

Comes out 11/23. If you need this album,* might as well have on 180g gold records (2LP, gatefold). $34.99 is pretty reasonable.

U2T84113.jpg

https://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=U2TWEBWWUSD&sku=U2T84113

*This album went platinum in the UK within 48 hours of being released. In the U.S. it reached 10x Multi-Platinum status in 1995 is now certified Diamond. It has sold 25+ million copies worldwide. I feel like that number is still too low.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 12:02 AM, Grandioso said:

I picked up a copy of the 2016 reissue, remastered, 180g Floyd's Meddle recently and...damn. I never thought it possible to improve the sound of that album. I need to get Animals now immediately. And I've always loved the inner gatefold or whatever you call it.

These dudes are tripping balls and stoned AF.

meddle_lp_us_inside.jpg

Follow up Post. I ordered  the remastered Animals on 180g and got it last week.

R-9431705-1480968179-9837.jpeg.jpg

Scrumtrulescent. Gonna need ALL the Floyd, even The Final Cut which is admittedly a Roger Waters solo album backed up by Pink Floyd. But fuck, that's still a Roger Waters solo album backed up by Pink Floyd.

Also picked up reissues of Astral Weeks and Zeppelin 2. In growing my collection, I'm really focusing on albums that have a start to finish feel, sound, mood, or theme. (This is probably why I like live albums so much). Astral Weeks was recorded in only a couple of heavily improvised studio sessions, and Zeppelin 2 was made while they were touring and blowing up eardrums at live shows. I only want to have to get up once to flip the album over, and I want to enjoy the whole thing in one sitting.

• Like 2