Vinyl

CooterBrown

I also signed up for VMP for that Townes Record. I think mine shipped today.

I always look for Townes records but of course pretty much never find any aside from the Fat Possum reissues. Last week though I was lucky. I found an original 1977 Tomato of Live at the Old Quarter, and at a different store found a 1989 German Tomato press of self-titled.

Next to my reissue:

1dd53084ff1e5ebef6272e3563a03565.jpg

fde6e52a5ce526f07e50ac82f0ca5efd.jpg

The rest in the photo are Copperhead Road, some ol’ Jimmy Reed from 1959, some Dylan which is all in pretty incredible shape (more or less NM) including an original stereo Blonde on Blonde and 2nd release Freewheelin’, and some old Longhorn Band music dated 1975!

aa33614da2da1414239334092ccbfe93.jpg

I had previously found a reissue of Skynyrd’s first, but came across two originals a few weeks later (they are a surprisingly pricey record). I sold one to a friend. A copy of Street Survivors is next, which came out right before the plane crash happened and MCA subsequently changed the cover to a different image without the flames. It came with the original insert that had their tour on it. Unfortunately they only got through 4 stops, I believe.

Next is an original License to Ill. Bottom left is a Bitches Brew from the late 70s ish, and a live Coltrane next to it.

The 3 without original sleeves were a cool find. I found them all in a $2 section. The highlights were a 1957 Columbia Six Eye of Miles Ahead, a 1959 Thelonius Monk Trio - Monk’s Moods on Prestige, and a 1956 Prestige reissue of Tenor Madness, which is the only recording ever featuring John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins together.

d7a84a2675c34879a3244295e9e59150.jpg

Finally, we have an original The Sky is Crying from 1991, the 12” version of the Clash EP Black Market Clash, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense, and Bruised Orange by John Prine.

It’s been a good month!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was in town last week for The Simple Minds concert and I hit up End of A Ear. I really liked the store and their used prices. Of course I've been shopping at Waterloo since forever (back when vinyl was kept where Lululemon is now). I will be adding End of A Ear to my list of stops.

I picked up Pearl Jam - Backspacer, Joe Jackson - Live, Bright Lights Big City Soundtrack, Style Council - Internationalists, Jane Siberry - No Borders Here. Jane is pretty unknown, so I was really happy to find this vinyl. I also picked up a new amp from Sound Gallery.

Any other stores in town I need to check out next time?

On 10/30/2018 at 7:15 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

I also signed up for VMP for that Townes Record. I think mine shipped today.

I always look for Townes records but of course pretty much never find any aside from the Fat Possum reissues. Last week though I was lucky. I found an original 1977 Tomato of Live at the Old Quarter, and at a different store found a 1989 German Tomato press of self-titled.

Next to my reissue:

1dd53084ff1e5ebef6272e3563a03565.jpg

fde6e52a5ce526f07e50ac82f0ca5efd.jpg

The rest in the photo are Copperhead Road, some ol’ Jimmy Reed from 1959, some Dylan which is all in pretty incredible shape (more or less NM) including an original stereo Blonde on Blonde and 2nd release Freewheelin’, and some old Longhorn Band music dated 1975!

aa33614da2da1414239334092ccbfe93.jpg

I had previously found a reissue of Skynyrd’s first, but came across two originals a few weeks later (they are a surprisingly pricey record). I sold one to a friend. A copy of Street Survivors is next, which came out right before the plane crash happened and MCA subsequently changed the cover to a different image without the flames. It came with the original insert that had their tour on it. Unfortunately they only got through 4 stops, I believe.

Next is an original License to Ill. Bottom left is a Bitches Brew from the late 70s ish, and a live Coltrane next to it.

The 3 without original sleeves were a cool find. I found them all in a $2 section. The highlights were a 1957 Columbia Six Eye of Miles Ahead, a 1959 Thelonius Monk Trio - Monk’s Moods on Prestige, and a 1956 Prestige reissue of Tenor Madness, which is the only recording ever featuring John Coltrane and Sonny Rollins together.

d7a84a2675c34879a3244295e9e59150.jpg

Finally, we have an original The Sky is Crying from 1991, the 12” version of the Clash EP Black Market Clash, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense, and Bruised Orange by John Prine.

It’s been a good month!

Where do you live and where are you finding all these original used records? I don't do as much picking as I used to, but I've found Austin is lacking when it comes to used vinyl. All the good shit gets picked through at Waterloo almost immediately. I've never found much used shit at End of an Ear. Antone's generally has a lot of used shit but they're pretty niche over there. I've not been up to Breakaway, but I know some folks who are loosely connected to them and they said that there should be a great selection of used vinyl.

I'm not really happy that the vinyl resurgence is following along the path of CDs in the 90s. It's like $27 for any reissue on 180 gram vinyl. Can't they print that shit on the old flimsy-ass vinyl? All my old records seem to have held up well and sound just fine. I've got a nice turntable and tuner but I don't necessarily need some transcendent audiophile experience every time i put on a record. These prices are starting to get annoying as fuck. I'm pretty much exclusively buying used shit through ebay at this point. But I miss going record shopping with no idea what gems I'm gonna find in the store. 

Where do you live and where are you finding all these original used records? I don't do as much picking as I used to, but I've found Austin is lacking when it comes to used vinyl. All the good shit gets picked through at Waterloo almost immediately. I've never found much used shit at End of an Ear. Antone's generally has a lot of used shit but they're pretty niche over there. I've not been up to Breakaway, but I know some folks who are loosely connected to them and they said that there should be a great selection of used vinyl.

I'm not really happy that the vinyl resurgence is following along the path of CDs in the 90s. It's like $27 for any reissue on 180 gram vinyl. Can't they print that shit on the old flimsy-ass vinyl? All my old records seem to have held up well and sound just fine. I've got a nice turntable and tuner but I don't necessarily need some transcendent audiophile experience every time i put on a record. These prices are starting to get annoying as fuck. I'm pretty much exclusively buying used shit through ebay at this point. But I miss going record shopping with no idea what gems I'm gonna find in the store. 

Disclaimer, I go and pick a lot. The rare SRV record above I did buy on Discogs, but all the other ones in that post were found locally.

I’m in DFW. I visit several different Half Price Books locations pretty regularly, usually on the way home from work or if I’m in the area of one. They’re of course very hit or miss, but I have found good stuff several times. That pristine Dylan I got from the one in Duncanville after leaving the airshow over there a few weeks ago. I had never been to that store but they actually had a lot of good stuff there, I just had most of it already. Probably the best selection I’ve seen in one stop at a HPB.

Other good stores are Josey Records in Farmers Branch, Doc’s Records and Vintage in downtown FW (My favorite store. They have a cool location and they have a nice selection and they under-grade, so you get stuff that’s in good shape, especially for the price. I also like how they do their organization and new arrivals.), and Forever Young Records in Grand Prairie (this store is 90% incredibly overpriced, but it’s huge and still cool to walk through. I do purchase some things there if they are harder to find and not too badly priced).

Every so often I also hit up Recycled Books, Records, and CDs in Denton. I went last weekend and found another Townes Van Zandt self titled, this time a 1978 US Tomato press, for the price I paid for the German one I have. I sold the German one for the price I paid for the this one, so it worked out.

Panther City Vinyl is a newer, smaller store in downtown FW as well, but I’ve only been once so far. They had a nice selection the time I was there.

I might have to visit Doc’s and Panther City today now.

• Like 1

I was in town last week for The Simple Minds concert and I hit up End of A Ear. I really liked the store and their used prices. Of course I've been shopping at Waterloo since forever (back when vinyl was kept where Lululemon is now). I will be adding End of A Ear to my list of stops.
I picked up Pearl Jam - Backspacer, Joe Jackson - Live, Bright Lights Big City Soundtrack, Style Council - Internationalists, Jane Siberry - No Borders Here. Jane is pretty unknown, so I was really happy to find this vinyl. I also picked up a new amp from Sound Gallery.
Any other stores in town I need to check out next time?
Jane Siberry will always have a special place in my heart for being a part of only the greatest soundtrack of its or any generation.

• 2 weeks later...
Waiting on that Queen VMP record to come in. A year into the subscription and I'm pretty happy with it. The Rap and Hip Hop and Classics subs are so much more enjoyable than the Essentials main sub. 

It’s been hit or miss for me. I’ve replaced a lot of the monthly picks. I’m waiting on the Queen release. Mine shipped a few days ago. I replaced the next one with an old Sleater-Kinney album.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:44 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

I’m also pretty “against” (if you wanna call it it that) 180G vinyl too. It doesn’t actually make it sound any better, it’s just more durable and warp resistant. And more expensive.

Not to mention that it ends up resulting on spreading a "normal" album across four sides, which is incredibly annoying.

I don't mind that part of the vinyl record experience is getting up and flipping the record, but I'm not too hot on having to get up and flip/get out new record every 7-8 minutes just so a few guys with like $20,000 rigs can hear a minor difference in sound quality.

19 hours ago, Rip76 said:

Don’t have an updated pic, but currently I have a Rega P2 and Yamaha receiver.

I love my P2.  I run it through a Denon.   It sounds great and I haven’t adjusted anything on it since I took it out if the box 10 years ago (which is great because I am lazy).  My brother has a music hall and an audio-technica and both skip way more and he is always having to calibrate them.

• Like 1

Well, I have Jailbreak! Nice collection.

I still don’t have my Queen VMP. USPS says it’s been in Dallas since the 6th. Not sure what’s going on there. It’s actually going for $60-70 on Discogs.

I had a decent find today. I had been looking for an original Lust for Life for a while. They only did one original pressing run. Got it for $15. Median on Discogs is about $50, so, not bad.

a0172ccd19c92f6bb2b3628b1e088197.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 11:58 PM, Topper13 said:

33ystwg.jpg

2dahovk.jpg

9id5a8.jpg

Played some J&MC for ya, too

All these bands are playing live now and in some instances, way better.  JMC sucked when they were high--really good now. Peter Murphy is playing Bauhaus material as well.     

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...