Vinyl

CooterBrown

37 minutes ago, Luv2win said:

Anyone ever visited Forever Young Records in Grand Prairie? Good or decent selections? Thought about stopping in on my way to East Dallas.....thanks

I would go just to see it and be amazed at how much vinyl and music is under that one roof. The prices are high though. But if you're looking for something and can't find it elsewhere, they might have it. Be sure to check out the room at the front of the store in the middle where all the rare and high priced vinyl is. 

Edited by mdmost

• 3 weeks later...

I've been making moves recently. I've been using Emotiva gear in the theater room and out of necessity using it to play 2-channel stuff, too. I decided to stop fucking around and just get a proper two-channel solution for vinyl and CDs. Since I picked up the B+W 802Ns partly out of appreciation for the sound, partly out of nostalgia, why not just complete the setup that captured me all those years ago and pair them with McIntosh pre/pro/amp and not look back? So that's what I did.

I've been hunting for an integrated amp in the 200W range, but I came across a deal for a 300W MA8000 in pristine condition and since the B+Ws will take as much as you can throw at them, I went for it. 

20240117_022705.thumb.jpg.5d99210ad01cf07b101f949885403f85.jpg

I'm pretty stoked. This is dream stuff for me. Gonna spend the awhile getting to know it and be in bliss.

Added a cassette deck, too, because of course. I have an extra 4U space that needs filling...

In the physical media realm, I finally stopped by Amoeba Music in Hollywood. The selection (and store traffic) is bonkers. It's cool just milling around in there. You can come across some very interesting things. Their stock is deep and dangerous. I'll not make the mistake of visiting L.A. and not going into Amoeba again.

20240114_144443.thumb.jpg.e4325564e5d3fec66d6c9164badebb98.jpg

I've picked up way too much music to spam here, so I'll just post a pic of some signed records I snagged over the past few weeks. If the high school me saw that I now geek out over getting Loreena McKennitt's autograph I wonder how disappointed he'd be. I'd tell him to disregard the hurdy-gurdy at his peril.

20240118_200950.thumb.jpg.8e2193f409a60e8e7756f35107efde33.jpg

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

No pics, but I picked up The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, as well as Zappa and the Mothers: Live at the Roxy.  This is the second time I've tried to by the Roxy record.  The first time, it came with Apostrophe accidentally included as the second record in the set (big screw up at the pressing plant).  Anyway, this time, all was correct.  Really love this album.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone currently selling vintage vinyl LPs via online store on Spotify, GoDaddy or other. Friend of mine has been thru the dealer mill and is considering the online option of selling his collection himself online.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Luv2win said:

Anyone currently selling vintage vinyl LPs via online store on Spotify, GoDaddy or other. Friend of mine has been thru the dealer mill and is considering the online option of selling his collection himself online.

Thanks!

Has he graded all the records?  It's a lot of work, but it's going to be the first step before he's going to be able to sell online.  Discogs is a good option.

I’m a frequent buyer on discogs. I’ve had numerous good purchasing experiences and only two bad ones there where the seller was disingenuous about having the item I ordered. Both sellers eventually gave me a refund.

• 4 weeks later...

The older kiddo and I made a run to B.E.'s records in Ben Wheeler, TX yesterday. It did not disappoint.  He got Aja and the Herb Albert Whipped Cream album.  I came home with Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic, Talking Heads' More Songs About Buildings and Food, and The Band: Rock of Ages (This one was $15 for a double live album and I can't figure out why it was so cheap. 

They had the Grateful Dead Europe 72 triple album for $40, which is a lot less than I paid for it.  Everything we looked at would have graded well as far as condition of the vinyl.  Some of his stuff was overpriced and some was underpriced.  Didn't make much sense, but who could complain.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Probably not a lot of hip-hop fans in here but this is one of the best pressings I've ever heard and I've listened to a wide range of stuff going back to the 60s.

rfalp61741a__24649.jpg.c018b63782c65be5ef5a7891824390a3.jpg

The mixing and mastering is phenomenal and something I'm not used to for a post 2000 album on vinyl. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I went to a local record show today.  I didn't end up with anything although the Ace Frehley Kiss solo album (since it was my first album (8-track)) was tempting.  Really, at this level, it was like being in a medium-sized record store with way too many people.  Glad I went.  Wish I could have found a few things I couldn't live without.

I did pick up Fela Kuti's "Zombie" last week.  Highly recommend.

Edited by dcbc

13 hours ago, tbone_ said:

How could you pass up Back in the New York groove?

I know.  I have such a history with that album.  I saw it early on and left it, figuring I'd find something else.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 9:57 AM, tbone_ said:

How could you pass up Back in the New York groove?

That WHOLE album is a banger. I saw him once when I was in high school and he asked if anyone wanted to hear anything off his Kiss solo album expecting to hear a chorus of Rip It Out or New York Groove. I yelled "Ozone!" and he looked over at me seemingly shocked a kid would know a deep cut off that album 20 years after its release. He played Rip It Out instead because he's a notorious asshole. His whole show was killer that night.

Ace till I die.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That WHOLE album is a banger. I saw him once when I was in high school and he asked if anyone wanted to hear anything off his Kiss solo album expecting to hear a chorus of Rip It Out or New York Groove. I yelled "Ozone!" and he looked over at me seemingly shocked a kid would know a deep cut off that album 20 years after its release. He played Rip It Out instead because he's a notorious asshole. His whole show was killer that night.
Ace till I die.

I hadn’t thought of those songs in years. Ozone ftw.

My kids are going to Doc’s early Saturday for Record Store Day. I guess they release short run albums? Any of you have experience with this? I was looking on eBay and it seems you can get most from previous years close to same price.

Some are RSD only, some are ‘RSD First’ with a limited release (usually a color vinyl variant) on RSD that will have a larger release later.

These days it’s mostly a bunch of crap and most of it you can find later, but there are sometimes gems here and there.

6 hours ago, BoomMF said:

Ace till I die.

Ozone is such a killer tune.