Texas Rangers 2020

TeddyBearStallion

Honest question for those like @Jameslaw121 @ss13 @DougO @mdmost.

Why is the hitting so bad?  I know the season is young and there are many variables, but... I was just looking at MLB.com and came across the following...

Andrus is batting .067 below his career avg.

Chirinos .033

Odor .115

Santana .203

Kiner-Falefa .053

Frasier .025

Soo Choo .150

Stats are before tonight's game.

Gallo is the only one hitting above his career avg.  I know that hitting was going to be the weak spot on this team, but you'd think more than 1 player would be hitting above his career avg.

We have bad position players. Joey is our only true stud. Elvis is a bad hitter, IKF is a backup, Chirinos looks like age is catching up, Santana has had two good years 6 years apart, Frazier & Choo are just average vets. 

Go read that article I posted earlier tonight, we just assembled a shitty roster. 

5 minutes ago, ss13 said:

We have bad position players. Joey is our only true stud. Elvis is a bad hitter, IKF is a backup, Chirinos looks like age is catching up, Santana has had two good years 6 years apart, Frazier & Choo are just average vets. 

Go read that article I posted earlier tonight, we just assembled a shitty roster. 

Daniels sucks...its past time.  Andrus and Gallo are nice pieces everyone else sucks. Choo will never see an .800 OPS again.  he's done.  you might as well put a bullet in our head.

6 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Daniels sucks...its past time.  Andrus and Gallo are nice pieces everyone else sucks. Choo will never see an .800 OPS again.  he's done.  you might as well put a bullet in our head.

This. He’s been wandering aimlessly for 5 years. He got lucky on some rotation rebuild bets, but position player roster sucks, bullpen is average, draft & farm is bottom half. Not sure JD has a strategy. 

When the guys who we already knew don't play defense well, but were supposed to hit well, don't hit, it's a double-bad situation. That's why I always question JD's tendency to not give two shits about defensive play even at key positions like CF.

Some of these guys will start hitting, others may just be coming off of overestimated expectations. Among my biggest concerns going in was the possibility that Santana may have just had a crazy year and will never be that guy again, and Joey will go back to hitting .200 or some shit, though I think Gallo will be OK if he stays healthy. The rest seem pretty much what one might expect. Odor is Odor. Frasier is Frasier guy with some pop but streaky with overall low averages. IKF is the marginal AAA player we figured he was. Versatility is overrated when it means you are below average or worse at all the things you do.

Edited by DougO

6 hours ago, DougO said:

When the guys who we already knew don't play defense well, but were supposed to hit well, don't hit, it's a double-bad situation. That's why I always question JD's tendency to not give two shits about defensive play even at key positions like CF.

Some of these guys will start hitting, others may just be coming off of overestimated expectations. Among my biggest concerns going in was the possibility that Santana may have just had a crazy year and will never be that guy again, and Joey will go back to hitting .200 or some shit, though I think Gallo will be OK if he stays healthy. The rest seem pretty much what one might expect. Odor is Odor. Frasier is Frasier guy with some pop but streaky with overall low averages. IKF is the marginal AAA player we figured he was. Versatility is overrated when it means you are below average or worse at all the things you do.

This.  JD keeps trying to find value and he's pretty shitty at it.  Choo was a dumb move but pales to Odor. 2 massive blunders. we haven't had a CF for 5 years at least. 

you are correct on Santana.  I think our minor league coaching is marginal at best.