Texas Rangers 2020

TeddyBearStallion

Jeff Wilson has been killing Woodward lately over his Rougie usage. 

Try to remember, if you even can, all the way back to Wednesday.

Rounged Odor was reinstated from the 10-day injured list and inserted into the Texas Rangers’ starting lineup, but only after a frank conversation with manager Chris Woodward.

Woodward told Odor that he was not going to play every day and that he must earn his playing time the rest of the 2020 season. It would seem that would be the case going forward for as long as Odor is on the roster.

Odor was back in the lineup Thursday after an 0-for-3 in his return and again Friday after an 0-for-4 on Thursday.

Either Woodward hands out passing grades like a professor for North Carolina basketball players or Odor was given a grace period following the IL stint or a window in which to perform.

The window has been closing on Odor all season, it seems.

It’s easy to imagine it finally slamming down this time. Then again, it’s easy to see him somehow hanging on.

“I expect a lot out of him, and he knows that,” Woodward said. “Right now, he’s at a critical time where, unfortunately, the results have to show up at some point. I know he feels that. It is what it is. We’re always watching. I’m always watching. It’s up to him to use this last while to prove that he belongs out there.”

Odor played for two reasons, Woodward said. Odor has done better recently in batting practice and in his cage work, and has been productive in his career against Oakland A’s right-hander Mike Fiers.

He had popped three home runs in 28 at-bats. The batting average is only .214, though that’s 76 points higher than Odor was batting this season.

Yes, Odor was batting .138 entering Friday, and he also led the team in errors (4). He drove in runs Wednesday and Thursday, courtesy of a bases-loaded walk and a groundout.

“He hasn’t had a ton of results,” Woodward said. “He’s still feeling for the timing. I don’t know if the timing was a little off. But what I’m seeing in his BP and his cage work has been better. We need it to show up on the field.”

The Rangers have been saying that for a while now after he signed a six-year, $49.5 million contract before the start of the 2017 season. He was coming off a terrific 2016 season after saving his 2015 campaign following a ragged start that was so bad the Rangers optioned him to Triple A for a month.

Odor was better in 2018, though he again struggled early. He regressed last season, and he needed a strong September to avoid hitting below .200.

His last-month surge gave the Rangers hope entering the off-season. Their hopes were buoyed in spring training as Odor arrived adhering to the mechanics and approach he captured in that shiny September.

That was still the case during summer camp. He drove in the only run in the Rangers’ Opening Day victory over the Colorado Rockies.

It’s been all downhill since. Entering Friday, he was in a 1-for-26 funk that started before his IL stint.

But he was back in the lineup, and he has two more seasons and $24.66 million remaining on his contract.

Maybe that’s all that’s keeping Odor’s window open.