you wanna see something?

gsoda3

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I've found Texans take well to criticism of their food and culture from Californians.  

And yes, calimex>>texmex.

You are what is wrong with America. Fucking kalifornIa! Zero taste. I hope your boom reminds you! Am I doing this right?

• Like 1

Yeah, the $6 Negro Modelo and $6 Dos XX is a pretty good hint that this isn't targeted at anything but the douche market.  Even Torchy's only charges $4 for a beer.  Taco prices are about the same -- I'll venture a guess they're not exactly gutbusting.

There was a day when that kind of marketing angle wouldn't play well in Austin, at all.  Now?  Somebody will line up.

• Hook 'Em 1

SoCal definitely gets credit for Korean tacos. 

And the Mission in SF has some damn good burrito joints like El Farolito, La Taqueria, and Taqueria Cancun. 

But Texas has the traditional taco game locked down. There is nothing like Taco Deli for instance in CA.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, the $6 Negro Modelo and $6 Dos XX is a pretty good hint that this isn't targeted at anything but the douche market.  Even Torchy's only charges $4 for a beer.  Taco prices are about the same -- I'll venture a guess they're not exactly gutbusting.

There was a day when that kind of marketing angle wouldn't play well in Austin, at all.  Now?  Somebody will line up.

Yeah, the goddamn californians will line up.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I challenge anyone to eat Tito’s Tacos in Culver City and say they aren’t the best tacos you’ve ever eaten.

So they're glorified jack in the box tacos but with beef instead of horse meat and pig anus? Fucking pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I challenge anyone to eat Tito’s Tacos in Culver City and say they aren’t the best tacos you’ve ever eaten.

If deep fried tacos are your thing, sure. I would never put that above a traditional Mexican pastor or asada taco covered in cilantro and onions and salsa that will turn the hair on your nutsack gray.

I've found Texans take well to criticism of their food and culture from Californians.  
And yes, calimex>>texmex.
Not even close, you guys do burgers well and high end dinning other then that most the food is under spiced and flavorless. Cali mex is shit, not a decent bowl of hot sauce or queso in the entire state. I will give props to some fish tacos Ive bad out there other then that hard pass
  • Hook 'Em 1

I did not grow up in either state, but spent about a decade living in each of Cal and Texas.  So I feel i am uniquely qualified to wade into these disputes.  My opinion: 

- Mexican food in Texas is just overall better.  Its true of Tex Mex and even things like interior Mexican food.  I think the health consciousness of Californians may be holding them back in this regard. With that said, Cal Mex does make great use of seafood, which can be awesome.  We could use some seafood focused Mexican places in Austin.     

- The most iconic Cal Mex item is the mission style burrito.  Great idea . . . I love burritos.  But, while they may have invented it, its just not that hard to make a good burrito.  As a result, Even the most famous taquerias in the Mission are not putting out burritos that are head and shoulders above what you can find elsewhere in the country.  Cabo Bob's puts out a better burrito than 90+% of Bay Area taquerias.  Its more like NY and Cheesecake than it is Cen Tex and brisket, if that makes sense.   

- Putting aside Mexican food and a few other obvious foods (like barbecue), almost every other type of food is going to be better on average in California (and especially northern California).  And that is true on the high end and the low end.  Even basic things like deli sandwiches tend to be better. Probably a variety of causes, including access to the best/freshest produce in the world, more commitment to patronizing small businesses instead of chains, large affluent populations that are food obsessed (and have been for decades longer than other parts of the country),  and more ethnic diversity (including significant Asian and Italian populations). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I did not grow up in either state, but spent about a decade living in each of Cal and Texas.  So I feel i am uniquely qualified to wade into these disputes.  My opinion: 

- Mexican food in Texas is just overall better.  Its true of Tex Mex and even things like interior Mexican food.  I think the health consciousness of Californians may be holding them back in this regard. With that said, Cal Mex does make great use of seafood, which can be awesome.  We could use some seafood focused Mexican places in Austin.     

- The most iconic Cal Mex item is the mission style burrito.  Great idea . . . I love burritos.  But, while they may have invented it, its just not that hard to make a good burrito.  As a result, Even the most famous taquerias in the Mission are not putting out burritos that are head and shoulders above what you can find elsewhere in the country.  Cabo Bob's puts out a better burrito than 90+% of Bay Area taquerias.  Its more like NY and Cheesecake than it is Cen Tex and brisket, if that makes sense.   

- Putting aside Mexican food and a few other obvious foods (like barbecue), almost every other type of food is going to be better on average in California (and especially northern California).  And that is true on the high end and the low end.  Even basic things like deli sandwiches tend to be better. Probably a variety of causes, including access to the best/freshest produce in the world, more commitment to patronizing small businesses instead of chains, large affluent populations that are food obsessed (and have been for decades longer than other parts of the country),  and more ethnic diversity (including significant Asian and Italian populations). 

Where did you live in Texas? Because the food in Houston on average is as good as anywhere in the country. Dallas is also a good food city but it's not LA or SF. And both of those cities are just as diverse as anywhere in California. 

48 minutes ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I

El Tepeyac in Boyle Heights may be the best burrito on earth

spacer.png

I see your Cali burrito and raise you the unfortunately named Okie Burrito from Las Palapas in San Antonio.

cd992827e51422092b3e7f5d5129c8bf.jpg

Carne Guisada (or fajita meat) lettuce, tomatoes, refried beans, and rice wrapped into a giant tortilla and covered in enchilada gravy and cheese.

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

I see your Cali burrito and raise you the unfortunately named Okie Burrito from Las Palapas in San Antonio.

cd992827e51422092b3e7f5d5129c8bf.jpg

Carne Guisada (or fajita meat) lettuce, tomatoes, refried beans, and rice wrapped into a giant tortilla and covered in enchilada gravy and cheese.

Ironic, because that is the name of the El Tepeyac burrito I posted as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Ironic, because that is the name of the El Tepeyac burrito I posted as well.

Good thing Mrs. Brat moved from Culver City in 1946.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Did that sea cucumber eat the burrito before you could get a picture of it? 

Now that actually looks pretty good.

might have to wash one of those with this Bloody Mary that a Cajun acquaintance likes to make...

BC1DC2D3-BDBF-44C5-8B13-533116B276F9.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat