Chinese Consulate in Houston Caught Burning Documents in Courtyard

Liquor and Poker

China preparing for war?  The Japanese embassies burned docs before Pearl Harbor.  Symbolic message?

Or...

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/hfd-responds-reports-burning-classified-documents-chinese-consulate/285-33117055-f7c1-4626-b4b5-ae8c252401d5

A source told KHOU 11 the consulate is being evicted by 4 p.m. Friday. (LOL)

Edited by clapclapclap
You guys gotta pay your rent

[mention=5262]stone oak[/mention]you need to stop the negging spree.  Just relax and know that although I like you I am pos repping all of the posts you neg because neg repping is bullshit.  Go to Aldacos and get yourself a large margarita and some puffy tacos and forget this place exists for a day and then come back.  It will do you some good. 
Negged.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

@stone oakyou need to stop the negging spree.  Just relax and know that although I like you I am pos repping all of the posts you neg because neg repping is bullshit.  Go to Aldacos and get yourself a large margarita and some puffy tacos and forget this place exists for a day and then come back.  It will do you some good. 

Too hot for the Aldacos patio this time of year.

China preparing for war?  The Japanese embassies burned docs before Pearl Harbor.  Symbolic message?

Or...

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/hfd-responds-reports-burning-classified-documents-chinese-consulate/285-33117055-f7c1-4626-b4b5-ae8c252401d5
My crack internet research team informs me the Chinese have embassies in DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and Houston.

3 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Or...

Read more  

My crack internet research team informs me the Chinese have embassies in DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and Houston.

I had to think why one in Houston, then I thought of oil.

20 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I had to think why one in Houston, then I thought of oil.

That's the national capital, the nation's 4 largest cities, and San Francisco. Houston's not really the outlier. 

And I just assumed it was based on number of Chinese nationals ("it" being the decision to put one in San Francisco/ the Bay Area as an outlier, I mean). 

Edited by Huckleberry

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

The NY Times is reporting the Trump administration told China they have 72 hours to close the Houston consulate.

They are burning documents before they leave.

What have the Chinese been stealing in Houston, flood control plans?

Good luck with that.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I certainly hope we burn some of our documents in our overseas stations. Why is this a bid deal or unexpected? 

I think it's because they're doing it "in the yard," like some rednecks burning leaves.

I assume that we have some sort of document disposal incinerator that doesn't involve that.

• Like 2

Typically, Embassies are considered sovereign soil, but Consulates are not.  The reason the Chinese Consulate was so substantial in Houston is because of such a large number of Chinese Nationals working in the Houston area (energy, medical/scientific, and higher education).  Consulates engage in diplomacy, but it's mostly a place to go for documentation, help with a Visa, help leasing an apartment, etc.  Really boring shit.  Of course it's China, so I'm sure they were grifting some IP from Exxon, NASA, or M.D. Anderson, hence the document burn.  I think it was perfectly reasonable for China to have a Consulate there given the population. 

I look forward to hearing the idiotic reason they were evicted.  Now you've got 10,000 educated Chinese Nationals in SE Texas who just lost one of their closest connections to home and family.  Yeah, "China Sucks"...but this is not the way to handle it.  Removing a Consulate just hurts the lives of Chinese people whom major Texas employers rely on for their expertise.  Now you just made all those people even more disloyal to America and those employers I mentioned.  

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it's because they're doing it "in the yard," like some rednecks burning leaves.

I assume that we have some sort of document disposal incinerator that doesn't involve that.

Hopefully better ones than we had in Tehran. Where the "diplomats" put so many files into the incinerator that it couldn't burn them - circa November 1979.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hate said:

@stone oakyou need to stop the negging spree.  Just relax and know that although I like you I am pos repping all of the posts you neg because neg repping is bullshit.  Go to Aldacos and get yourself a large margarita and some puffy tacos and forget this place exists for a day and then come back.  It will do you some good. 

Aldacos? Pfffft. Go to El Mirasol or La Fonda on Main. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/22/politics/china-us-houston-consulate-intl-hnk/index.html

this shit is crazy, trump is claiming the Houston consultant is the hub for a huge spy network :

On Twitter, Hu Xijin, editor of the state-backed tabloid Global Times with strong ties to China's Communist Party, said that Beijing had been given 72 hours to close the consulate. "This is a crazy move," he added

Rubio is an idiot, this shit is going to escalate. from the USA Today article :

Rubio said China’s consulate in Houston "is not a diplomatic facility" and suggested it is staffed with spies. "It is the central node of the Communist Party’s vast network of spies & influence operations in the United States ... This needed to happen."

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/22/politics/china-us-houston-consulate-intl-hnk/index.html

this shit is crazy, trump is claiming the Houston consultant is the hub for a huge spy network :

On Twitter, Hu Xijin, editor of the state-backed tabloid Global Times with strong ties to China's Communist Party, said that Beijing had been given 72 hours to close the consulate. "This is a crazy move," he added

not getting political at all     because its entirely possible this is an ego trip from our current leader.

but does it sound THAT shocking that China may be housing a spy network in the US based out of Houston?

The russians have a spy network based in their embassy -  but as was pointed out, a consulate is not the same thing as an embassy.

we've caught multiple Chinese nationals over the last 20 years who were providing lots of information to China and charged with either industrial or actual espionage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

I can believe the Chinese are doing that. I can also believe that forcing them to close the consulate is appropriate when considering that consulates should be engaged purely in support of their citizens and nationals within the foreign nation.

The only thing political about this is the timing. If we want to discuss that, the thread should be moved.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

not getting political at all     because its entirely possible this is an ego trip from our current leader.

but does it sound THAT shocking that China may be housing a spy network in the US based out of Houston?

The russians have a spy network based in their embassy -  but as was pointed out, a consulate is not the same thing as an embassy.

we've caught multiple Chinese nationals over the last 20 years who were providing lots of information to China and charged with either industrial or actual espionage.

Considering TMC, NASA, and others are close by, and aggy is right up the road and has proven to have done some shady shit with the Chinese virology labs and what not, I wouldn’t be shocked at all if there were a spy network based out of that consulate.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

It sort of goes without saying that embassies and consulates are spy and intelligence hubs. It was certainly the case during the Cold War, not sure why it would be such a surprise now.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1