Chinese Consulate in Houston Caught Burning Documents in Courtyard

Liquor and Poker

9 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I'm familiar with the scanning software where IC people scan each piece of shredded paper and a computer program reconstructs the document, but I can't believe it works well with modern cross cut shredders.

Is burning really necessary?

Honestly, even with modern cross cut shredders the information isn't really gone, it's just obfuscated. If you could digitize all of the crosscut shreds it would be the same problem as before for reconstructing long shreds, just with an additional dimension because it's cutting the long strips into short strips.

Burning/deconstituting the physical media is the only surefire way to ensure the information is destroyed. Even with shredding, it's normally just a stopgap until the paper can be pulped or burned before it's considered completely destroyed

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

My crack internet research team informs me the Chinese have embassies in DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco and Houston.

So if war is declared against Houston, can we ship all of the LA/SF folks in Texas back to California?  I need to do some drinking to come up with the justification of why war would only be declared on Houston, but give me time.

2 hours ago, woohorn said:

I'm familiar with the scanning software where IC people scan each piece of shredded paper and a computer program reconstructs the document, but I can't believe it works well with modern cross cut shredders.

It's not that you have to burn things. It's that you get to burn them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

The Chinese are not our friends. I know the Universities like the Chinese money rolling in, but I wouldn't care if they were required to turn Chinese Nationals away. Same with employers. When the Chinese government can manipulate you any way they want by threatening your family, it creates a dangerous situation. What if they were manipulated to not just spy, but to release a dirty bomb near or in a football stadium, assassinate someone,  or infect as many as possible with a deadly virus. With tensions where they are, right now, the best place for them is back in China. There isn't any reason to keep citizens of another country here, when that country is actively trying to undermine your country.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They'll stop doing that once they steal our incinerator technology.

I gave you the finger before I realized the new bottom rep has changed. I wonder if I’ve done that to someone else. See post #103 for an obvious example. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

21 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Aggy satellite campus?

They hacked the aggy School of Architecture computers.  

Fortunate to be expelled from the country before the building collapsed. 

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, woohorn said:

There is no faster way to destroy than to burn it.  Don’t over think it.

• Like 1

FBI and State Dept is saying the Houston consulate is their Spying HQ for all espionage operations in the US. They've been monitoring it for years, the expectation though is they'll just setup shop in another of of the Consulates.

Burning documents before you leave is pretty standard for everybody.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:56 AM, MillerEP said:

FBI and State Dept is saying the Houston consulate is their Spying HQ for all espionage operations in the US. They've been monitoring it for years, the expectation though is they'll just setup shop in another of of the Consulates.

Burning documents before you leave is pretty standard for everybody.

usually dont you expel those individuals when caught. maybe didnt have enough evidence....

3 minutes ago, Redpuma said:

usually dont you expel those individuals when caught. maybe didnt have enough evidence....

Unless they are hiding in them. Cannot go in and snatch and grab. 

Chinese Scientist Wanted by the FBI Believed to be Hiding in San Francisco Consulate as U.S.-China Tension Continues

A Chinese scientist wanted by the FBI is camped out in China’s San Francisco consulate, accused of lying on her research visa by concealing her ties to the Chinese military, according to court filings dated Monday.

The news, first reported by Axios, comes amid deepening tensions between the U.S. and China over alleged spying by Chinese visitors to the U.S.

https://time.com/5870621/china-san-francisco-consulate/

FBI looking into Houston consulate spying on UT-Austin

FBI looking into possible Chinese spying on UT-Austin’s COVID-19 research
By Brittany Britto, Staff writer

Houston Chronicle

FBI looking into possible Chinese spying on UT-Austin’s COVID-19 research

The FBI is investigating whether the Chinese government attempted to illegally obtain COVID-19 research from American universities, including the University of Texas at Austin, according to an email obtained by the Houston Chronicle.

The federal law enforcement agency told UT officials last week that the July 22 closure of the Chinese Consulate in Houston sparked the probe, wrote Daniel Jaffe, UT’s interim executive vice president and provost, in an email to the university’s faculty, graduate and post-doctorate students on Monday.

As a result of this “ongoing and evolving national situation,” the FBI will contact UT researchers “about the role of the consulate and efforts by the Chinese government to illegally procure research from American universities,” Jaffe said.

“We do not know whom the FBI intends to contact or what they plan to discuss, nor have we shared anyone’s information or details about ongoing research with FBI agents,” Jaffe wrote. “It’s not unusual for federal law enforcement officers to ask to speak with researchers if deemed necessary to support criminal or national security investigations.”

The FBI San Antonio office referred the Chronicle to the U.S. State Department, whose officials said they are now working on the newspaper’s request for additional information.

U.S. officials took over and closed the Chinese consulate in Houston last week as ordered by the Trump administration amid accusations of espionage activity. The Trump administration, which confirmed the closure, cited a need to protect American intellectual property and private information. The Chinese government threatened to retaliate and on July 24, announced the closure of a U.S. consulate in Chengdu.

The Justice Department also indicted two suspected Chinese hackers, alleging they targeted U.S. companies conducting COVID-19 research. Several research facilities within the Texas Medical Center are involved in that work. In addition, federal authorities claimed the alleged hackers stole “business proposals and other documents concerning space and satellite applications” from an unnamed technology firm in Texas. That firm was just one of 25 victims across the U.S. and abroad that were named in the indictment.

Jaffe, UT’s provost, urged students with questions or concerns about sharing details of their work with anyone to contact their deans for research and Jeff Graves, UT’s associate vice president for legal affairs. Students should also alert the information security office about any phishing attempts or unsolicited emails from foreign countries or entities.

“Our international scholars are a vital part of our research community. You enrich our environment and are critical to our teams’ success, and we value your contributions,” Jaffe said. “We realize that this news is coming during an already difficult time, so we encourage you to reach out to your supervisors or Texas Global and let us know how we can continue to support you.”

Staff writer Currie Engel contributed to this report.

brittany.britto@chron.com

Edited by Shaggybevo
  • Hook 'Em 1