So I tried acid for the first time.

Penelope

Tl;dr So I tried acid for the first time. And unfortunately nothing happened. I started out the day, trying shrooms for the first time. Some chocolate-based shrooms that did nothing. My boyfriend, dropped acid, when I did mushrooms. And apparently, Went on a great trip. Two hours in, I decided to join him with the acid. Still nothing. We had friends there, that also indulged, and enjoyed their trip. I tried another hit. Still nothing. Another friend showed up. Took the last hit, and tripped. I had two hits of this shit and nothing. So today, thought I’d try something new. And another hit from a different supplier. And fucking nothing. So I’m wondering, is it the odds that I would get three bad hits? Or is something wrong with me? On the scientific side, I wonder? I have damage to my spinal cord, and screws, metal and wire in my neck.  Would that make a difference?I also smoke a ridiculous amount of weed. Would this make a difference? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You sure are pondering a whole lot of shit.  You sure you’re not high?

I smoke a lot of weed, I’m generally almost always high. But there should’ve been a different kind of high? I’m wondering why I didn’t trip? Again never did before so I’m not sure what I missed. But I definitely missed it

It may have just been parking lot lore, and I never went back to research it, but a long time ago a "scientist" explained to me that there is a substantial percentage of people who just can't physiologically "trip" on LSD.  The chemicals in the drug and the chemicals in their bodies just don't jive.  It just washes right thru them.  Most people, of course, will never know this about themselves because they'll never drop acid.  So it's likely a much higher percentage of the population.  Same reason some people are disposed to better trips than others, and same reason some people can have bad trips and others will never have one.  Certain drugs affect certain people in different ways, and some people...not at all.  

It could have been inconsistent spraying/dipping of the sheet, but yeah---3 hits in a row.....you may just be one of those people.  'Shrooms are different, I've never seen anybody eat mushrooms and not trip.  Then again, this was decades ago before all these edible gourmet versions hit the market.  This was when you had to walk a field with a trash bag the day before a Dead show.  

Whatever you do, don't ever drop three hits again.  If the first 1-1.5 hits aren't working, just stop and smoke some weed and put on "Eyes of the World."  Just in case your body decides to trigger the drug all at once, you don't want 3x the d-lysergic suddenly coursing through your veins on your very first acid trip.  45 minutes later, you'll go from a tingling sensation in your stomach and ears to "why is the sky melting on top of my friends?  I bet that hurts."  Not great, Bob! 

Edited by Lobo

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

I've never heard of taking shrooms and not tripping. The acid thing is plausible, but the shrooms thing is hard to believe for me. 

They could have been bad/weak. I had some shrooms last summer that barely got me anything.  If I didn't know what the effect was supposed to be I might not have even noticed the little bit they did do. 

4 hours ago, RPM said:

First time I dropped we went to watch the premiere of Alien. There was no doubt it was working. Do not recommend.

damn.  can’t think of a worse thing to do when making your maiden voyage on acid.

well I guess I can think of many worse things to do. 

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, futureman said:

damn.  can’t think of a worse thing to do when making your maiden voyage on acid.

well I guess I can think of many worse things to do. 

No shit. First time I dropped acid we sat around for 6 hours in my back yard putting gloves, hat, shoes, and some paper eye filled sunglasses on a fire hydrant we'd found knocked off its base, naming it Orville, and commenting on whether things were or were not Orville worthy.  That was quite a day for a couple 17 year olds.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No shit. First time I dropped acid we sat around for 6 hours in my back yard putting gloves, hat, shoes, and some paper eye filled sunglasses on a fire hydrant w'ed found knocked off its base, and naming it Orville, and commenting on whether things were or were not Orville worthy.  That was quite a day for a couple 17 year olds.

And what, you ask, ever happened to Onboard's friend after that acid trip?  He got inspired and wrote the movie "Cast Away", starring Orville's brother...Wilson.

And yeah, RPM...what in the fuck?  "Alien" on LSD?  I gotta ask, did you drop it and then just head to the theater and just get tickets to whatever looked cool?  Did you have plans to attend the premiere (since it probably involved a line of people), and then somebody in your group just happened to have acid on them?  Or were you sitting at home, starting to trip, and somebody suggested going to see the most fucked up movie of 1979?  I mean, the drug would literally be kicking in somewhere between when the baby alien kills John Hurt and Bishop speaks without his body.  40 years later, I'd hate to see your flashbacks.  

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

A lot of Shrooms over several days - All of Twin Peaks in a hard core prerecorded VHS binge. 6 "HEB bags" full that I picked my damn self. I made a concentrate Tea... Um it was a tad strong

"Uh, doctor...when it comes to psychedelic mushrooms...what exactly is a 'tad'?"  

"Well, the Patient 'BurntEyes'...moved from mild hallucinations to severe paranoia, until we eventually found him at a local retirement home, draped entirely in vintage scarves, shouting to anyone who would listen that 'It's people!  Mushroom Tea is people!'  Eventually he responded to treatment, but is no longer physically able to be around citrus products or any of the cinematic works of Mr. David Lynch."  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

And yeah, RPM...what in the fuck?  "Alien" on LSD?  I gotta ask, did you drop it and then just head to the theater and just get tickets to whatever looked cool?  Did you have plans to attend the premiere (since it probably involved a line of people), and then somebody in your group just happened to have acid on them?  Or were you sitting at home, starting to trip, and somebody suggested going to see the most fucked up movie of 1979?  I mean, the drug would literally be kicking in somewhere between when the baby alien kills John Hurt and Bishop speaks without his body.  40 years later, I'd hate to see your flashbacks.  

It's 1979 and I'm sitting in the Transient barracks waiting on my ship to hit port. Transient barracks are usually filled with ne'er-do-wells and here was young, innocent RPM amongst them. My roommate scored some blotter and offered me some. WTF, let's party. After a while we get the bright idea to gtfo the base and go do something. "I hear there's a cool new space flick showing downtown"...

We were sailing from the opening credits. I had to crawl behind the seat in front of me to make sure the fucking Alien wouldn't see me. The part where the throat emits a second set of jaws? My mind was melting. After the movie we had to go to a park in West Seattle to watch the city lights swirl and bend in the currents of Puget Sound to mellow out.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Anecdotally, and to further complicate the apocryphal speculation, I've had a greater number of disappointing/underwhelming experiences with mushrooms than with LSD. 

The story of mythologizing Orville reminds me of the time a bunch (but not all) of us were tripping and walking around in a park, and we found an old rusty knife blade (no handle any longer) that very clearly read "Killdan" engraved or embossed into the side. 

The trippers in the group made our friend Dan increasingly uncomfortable throughout the course of the day.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The first time I did mescaline was more interesting. It was about a year later and we were in drydock. A bunch of us rented a house in the U District just off the University of Washington campus. One Sunday an EM friend of ours, Greg, was from Seattle stopped by with an old Yamaha 80cc that he and his friends mounted a new 125cc on and he wants to test it out.

yamaha_yg1.jpg

Similar, except this one was yellow.

He also has some mescaline and we split it.

We're tinkering with the bike, the mescaline is kicking in, the house is pretty much full on party mode at 11am on a Sunday. We take the bike out to the alley for a test drive. Greg gets going in 1st gear and the throttle hangs, cable is all rusted. Greg points it toward a building and bails. Bike hits the cinderblock building and crashes. A splash of WD40, straighten the forks a bit and we're on for round 2. Greg works the throttle several times, everything looks gtg. He takes off down the alley and catches 3rd gear when the throttle hangs again. He aims the bike for a neighbor's backyard garage and bails. Slight problem, the riderless, wfo, bike missed the garage and goes out of sight. SUDDENLY we see a guy (who was just minding his own business) running for his life out of that backyard! Woops.

The bike keeps going through backyards until the end of the block when it slams into the side of a parked car (luckily it was right on the back tire and minimal damage to the car). We all run down, grab the bike, carry it back to the house as fast as we can, lock it in the basement then go sit on the front porch drinking beer and try to look innocent. Greg and I couldn't stop laughing for hours. The image of the guy running out of the yard was forever burned in my brain. Never found out who he was.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Anecdotally, and to further complicate the apocryphal speculation, I've had a greater number of disappointing/underwhelming experiences with mushrooms than with LSD. 

The story of mythologizing Orville reminds me of the time a bunch (but not all) of us were tripping and walking around in a park, and we found an old rusty knife blade (no handle any longer) that very clearly read "Killdan" engraved or embossed into the side. 

The trippers in the group made our friend Dan increasingly uncomfortable throughout the course of the day.

I'd say shrooms have been the culprit of no trips more often than not. I've done acid a hand full of times, and always had good trips, and no duds.  

I've done mushrooms many more times, and had several no trip experiences, but always had good experience when tripping. I like the shrooms more because you can control your dosage more than acid. You can keep it mellow, or like an intense weed bud or go full on seeing motion trails, and wild colors...

We had a name for that grin you get when on acid or shrooms. We called it "the pull", like someone was pulling you head back to give you a constant grin on your face.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hits is fairly aggressive for your first time, lol

I know I wouldn't have the cojones to go in that hard.  Typically most good/bad acid stories start off with "I don't feel anything" then dosing again. 

Next thing you know you're sitting on a rock in a field near UNO's Lakefront Arena while your friends are looking for you and calling you.  Meanwhile you can't answer your phone because when it lights up it melts into your hand, like liquid lava.  Luckily an off-duty cabbie picks you up out of pity, says "We gotta get you outta here, this area aint safe for a white boy to just be hanging around" and takes you back to civilization  about 4-5 hours after everyone left.

Or so I'm told.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My god, that just made me realize how thankful I am there were no smartphones back when I was following the Dead.  

can you imagine waking up the next day and seeing your phone’s browser history of “am I melting?”, “is she melting?”, “Why are they melting?”   

last time I did anything like this, a couple of had flip phones and we agreed to just hide them until it was all over.  I don’t know how you youngsters do it these days.  

if you can drop two hits, turn on the 2020 news/internet feed, and not freak the fuck out...more power to ya.  Maybe the country needs more hallucinogens now, not less  

6 hours ago, immamac said:

I've never heard of taking shrooms and not tripping. The acid thing is plausible, but the shrooms thing is hard to believe for me. 

I’ve had shrooms a few times and just got tired and didn’t trip at all.  And the person next to me was tripping their ass off.  Definitely depends on the person a lot of times.  

• Like 1

You probably just got some bunk shit. 

Shrooms are notorious for having uneven potency. If you’re able to get acid, don’t get paper or jel, get a vile of liquid in a sweet breath dropper. 

and start slow. Good acid is just like they describe it in Fear and Loathing. It comes on slow, then right when you thing you’ve been burned- boom.

53 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ve had shrooms a few times and just got tired and didn’t trip at all.  And the person next to me was tripping their ass off.  Definitely depends on the person a lot of times.  

translation:  "after we'd been on 14-hour rotations, we decided to eat 'shrooms in the doctor's lounge to get our second wind.  I was already fatigued from a long day.  I just got gassed and took a nap.  P.A. next to me starts giggling and chortling like a mother fucker and wakes me up with it.  I think maybe it's kicking in for all of us, turns out he was just hitting a nitrous tank we had in there from the Christmas party.  I passed out again.  I wake up to an empty bag of shrooms between us, and he's somehow given himself a breast implant and my rotator cuff had never felt better."  

Edited by Lobo

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Are you taking any antidepressants or mood stabilizers?  Some of them can block the effects of LSD via 5HT2A receptor antagonism. 

Yes.  This is key.  I’m not giving medical advice but taking 5htp for example can have a serious effect, I hear.  

5 hours ago, RPM said:

The first time I did mescaline was more interesting.

The first time I did was "grad night" at Disneyland.  Where from like 6pm on, only HS seniors with their classes can attend.  Pirates of the Caribbean?  Outstanding.  The Haunted Mansion?  Not so much.  And the end of Space Mountain where you are hauling ass and then come to an immediate halt in this multi-colored light room?  I needed a dustpan to sweep up my brains from the floor of the roller coaster car.

I've never had it not work.  There was one time where like 6 of us who split just a couple grams of shrooms.  Didn't expect much to happen.  Me and one guy split one stem (that was filled with a purple goo inside).  2 of the 6 had nothing really happen.  4 of the 6 had an absolutely mind-bending trip (on the 4th of July).  I was one of the 4.  That was about 20 years ago, and it was the last time I took any hallucinogens, and settled in to a lifetime of drinking.

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

and start slow. Good acid is just like they describe it in Fear and Loathing. It comes on slow, then right when you thing you’ve been burned- boom.

I had a buddy I was with in college who didn't think the shrooms we had eaten were working.  So he doubled up.  I decided to let a little more time pass.  Up in Lake Arrowhead, and super clear stars.  I was certain I identified one or two UFOs.  My buddy was inside gripping the bed and trying not to let it fly off into outer space.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I quickly retired from hallucinogens not long after that. Know when to say when. But between point A and B there were several treks. Best I ever had was on some Orange Sunshine tabs. The entire duty section took a hit (in port drydock) at the same time and had a group trip. There were only 5 of us onboard plus the OOD who was a salty old Warrant Officer. He couldn't figure out wtf was going on. We were all grouped together going from space to space on the ship and when he would walk in we would all start uncontrolled giggling. He couldn't figure out the joke.

Spoiler

There was no joke, we were tripping balls

Edited by RPM
  • Haha 2

I need to clarify some things. I took the shrooms and two hits of acid last weekend. Nothing happened. I slept just fine. In fact I was the only one that went to bed. Everyone else stayed up and partied. The two hits were from the same sheet, but not next to each other. I took another hit yesterday that I got from my weed guy. I had told him the story. He had an extra hit that he gave me to try  Nothing happened. I’m not taking any medication. So, I just going to guess that acid doesn’t work for me. I’m not gonna try anymore. I might try shrooms again. Because, that was in a chocolate candy form. Maybe if I try the real shrooms some thing would happen?  

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Same.  Tried them a half a dozen times and nothing ever worth continuing.  

13 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I need to clarify some things. I took the shrooms and two hits of acid last weekend. Nothing happened. I slept just fine. In fact I was the only one that went to bed. Everyone else stayed up and partied. The two hits were from the same sheet, but not next to each other. I took another hit yesterday that I got from my weed guy. I had told him the story. He had an extra hit that he gave me to try  Nothing happened. I’m not taking any medication. So, I just going to guess that acid doesn’t work for me. I’m not gonna try anymore. I might try shrooms again. Because, that was in a chocolate candy form. Maybe if I try the real shrooms some thing would happen?  

That’s a shame your experience has sucked.

I say acid is much better than shrooms because the dose is more predictable for me and there is a nausea and vomiting with shrooms I don’t care for. 
also, in my experience it takes a larger dose the second day if you do acid two days on a row. 

This takes me back. The first time I did it I took a strip of 5 and chilled out on my friends porch and watched the world wake up with a lot of laughing. 

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

It may have just been parking lot lore, and I never went back to research it, but a long time ago a "scientist" explained to me that there is a substantial percentage of people who just can't physiologically "trip" on LSD.  The chemicals in the drug and the chemicals in their bodies just don't jive.  It just washes right thru them.

Pretty certain I'm this way with pharma medicine - benzo, ssri, and absolutely certain painkillers.  I'm just buffalo-resistant to whatever psycho effects they're supposed to have.

On the shrooms vs lsd, I've had ineffective shrooms, low potency shrooms, and enjoyable shrooms.  the time I did LSD it was like all of the shrooms trips intensified into one.

And to my future progeny, employers, stalkers, and investigative reporters......all of the above were in my college days, well over a decade in the past.

I did acid one time and it was too much. I had a good trip, but I was ready for it to end about halfway though it.

Shrooms on the other hand were my jam. I loved those things. Once I are shrooms before Eeyore’s Birthday and that was all kinds of fucked up. I had never been and didn’t know what to expect. The first thing I remember seeing is some dude with a giant eyeball “hat” on his head and then a bunch of people running around with bright blue alien heads on. It was crazy. One thing I liked about shrooms were the peaks and valleys. I’d always laugh my ass off for about an hour and then come back down for about 10-15 minutes before starting back up again. It made it more manageable for me than acid. Another thing I liked about shrooms is that in a group setting it always seemed there was one other person having the same trip as you. It was fun to hang out with someone experiencing what you were.

• Hook 'Em 2

Melt a bar or two of good dark chcolate in a sauce pan, and stir in chopped up shrooms. Mix well, and then pour into small containers you can cut in to quarters. Shove in the fridge over night. Then cut in to quarters, and dose yourself to the level that suits you mood.

• Like 1