So I tried acid for the first time.

Penelope

Only bad experience I had with acid was on Friday night before OU on commerce street early 90's. Too many people...too much bs, would not recommend. Once we got the fuck out of downtown and chilled out at the house we were staying at,everything was fine. Well until the cops showed up, anyway. Havent done acid since college. Shrooms on the other hand always treat me right. I'm good for a shroom trip every few years.....come to think of it, its probably been about 5 years. hmmmmm.

• Like 1

Who they fuck are you people trying to play Top Chef with hallucinogens that grow in animal shit?  Do what I did.  You pick 'em, you dry 'em out a bit before the concert/event.  You portion out a few caps, shove 'em in your piehole (typically in about two different half-handfuls), and mash 'em up without breathing through your nose and chase vigorously with copious amounts of ice cold beer.  About 3 caps per round, two rounds, and just chug beer afterwards and just stand up and let it work down like a crappy warm tequila shot.  Sucks, but it's all over with, including shitty after taste, in about 5 minutes.  I've tried the tea method or dipping them in peanut butter, etc.  It's dumb.  It just delays in the inevitable.  Playing easy-bake-oven with this shit is nuts.  It just prolongs the horrible taste and gags.  Stop being Guy Fieri and just crunch and munch.  You'll on your way soon enough.  

This "Well, I have this organic hazelnut chocolate we could use."  Now I know why I didn't see you guys on tour with the Dead.  We were running lean, mean, on mescaline.  

Dude, I was just reliving bad experiences with "amateur chefs" before shows.  I'm sure your stuff was aces.  I just read what happened to you after that and remember my gag reflex.  Not judging.  The best part is we're all reliving what worked for us/what didn't work for us.  I tried that "dip 'em in peanut butter" thing and while it tasted better, it just delayed the inevitable.  We had one good tea thing before a Dead show in Tampa in '95 before Jerry died.  We also had one miserable experience at a Phish show at Southpark Meadows ('99 or '00, IIRC).  Was just spitballing about how some of us got burned when somebody got too clever with the prep.  Our tried and true method was pick 'em 1-2 days before you need them and dry them out and then just hold your nose and chomp away.  Sounds like your technique worked for you.  That was the beauty of it all.  We started in different places and all ended up on the same Mesa during the second set of whatever it was we came to see.  

I'm looking at these comet pictures on CNN and remembering a time we were canoeing on the Boundary Waters between MN and Canada and somehow, despite all our shit being soaking wet all week, saved a dose that remained in tact, and dropped it to watch the Northern Lights.  I think we boiled kool aid an open fire to submerge them in.  You're right, it's not so much how you prepare them...it's when/where/with whom you do them.  Oh, takes me back.  But seriously...what do you put like Splenda on that shit?  

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who they fuck are you people trying to play Top Chef with hallucinogens that grow in animal shit?  Do what I did.  You pick 'em, you dry 'em out a bit before the concert/event.  You portion out a few caps, shove 'em in your piehole (typically in about two different half-handfuls), and mash 'em up without breathing through your nose and chase vigorously with copious amounts of ice cold beer.  About 3 caps per round, two rounds, and just chug beer afterwards and just stand up and let it work down like a crappy warm tequila shot.  Sucks, but it's all over with, including shitty after taste, in about 5 minutes.  I've tried the tea method or dipping them in peanut butter, etc.  It's dumb.  It just delays in the inevitable.  Playing easy-bake-oven with this shit is nuts.  It just prolongs the horrible taste and gags.  Stop being Guy Fieri and just crunch and munch.  You'll on your way soon enough.  

This "Well, I have this organic hazelnut chocolate we could use."  Now I know why I didn't see you guys on tour with the Dead.  We were running lean, mean, on mescaline.  

Jeeeeeeesus Alice chiiiiiilll.. They taste like shit, and mixing them with chocolate or some other flavor enhancer only adds to the pleasure.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I agree that it's possible to get "too cute" with the preparation, and at the end of the day, you're still eating something gross that sprouted from something even more gross, but there's an enjoyable element of getting away with something when you eat a pre-made PB&J&M sandwich somewhere you're not supposed to. 

I ate a few of these sandwiches during lunchtime in the student union back in the day. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Well, Saint Petersburg actually.  But yeah, another day/trip entirely...but the guy that lives across the hall from me at Stetson University.  We all went down to Tampa on Friday morning.  Saw the dead show whacked out of our minds.  It was my 18th/20th something like that.  most of the guys, it was their first show.  Everybody else went back on Saturday to school.  Wes and I stayed back and went to the Dali museum on Sunday with what was left over from the "pool" and holy shit.  The corner thing with the two large murals that look at you "just right".  Wow.  Anyway, yeah...fun weekend.  Saw them again later that summer at Noblesville, and then that was it...the last time I saw Jerry alive.  But yeah, got to start to kiss my D-I scholarship goodbye whilst seeing the Dead and Dali in one great weekend.  That summer, we had the best access to the best cow patty 'shroom field than should be allowed.  Made for another fun year, but no dead shows.  Spring of '96...I transferred to a school called the University of Texas at Austin.  And that, as they say...was that.  

On 7/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, Doc Reeves said:

You probably just got some bunk shit. 

Shrooms are notorious for having uneven potency. If you’re able to get acid, don’t get paper or jel, get a vile of liquid in a sweet breath dropper. 

and start slow. Good acid is just like they describe it in Fear and Loathing. It comes on slow, then right when you thing you’ve been burned- boom.

This. The dude you got it from sucks and so does his shit.

28 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Since LSD is illegal if you take it and feel nothing at all you got sold a tab of paper dropped with baking soda.

I’ve often thought of a sketch where a “Karen” attempts to return a bunk sheet of acid and gets frustrated so asks to speak with a manager.  But when the manager finally gets up there, suddenly her three hits kick in and the shit hits the fan.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Op, were you drinking? Alcohol can have an antagonistic effect on hallucinogens.

Hey, I got one right. 

On 7/22/2020 at 8:51 PM, ss13 said:

Only tried it once at Jester way back in the day. Had been boozing all night, took it around 5-6 am, nothing really happened, just figured the booze won. 

On 7/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, Anastasis said:

More MDMA imo. 

I used to do a fair amount of mdma, but stopped because I was convinced it was making me depressed. Sort of like a depression hang over, but the hang overs kept getting longer and longer. So at some point I stopped taking it and stuck to lsd and shrooms. 

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I used to do a fair amount of mdma, but stopped because I was convinced it was making me depressed. Sort of like a depression hang over, but the hang overs kept getting longer and longer. So at some point I stopped taking it and stuck to lsd and shrooms. 

Yeah, that is a pretty well know effect with chronic use. I don't recall the exact mechanisms, but seems like depletion of serotonin and resulting dysregulation of serotonin receptor expression was involved.   

17 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Op, were you drinking? Alcohol can have an antagonistic effect on hallucinogens.

Any of y'all ever yawn just before you start to trip? I always knew it was coming because I'd start to yawn. I'd also yawn when I started coming down.

I never yawned but I had several friends whose trip on shrooms wouldn't start until they hurled.  One night, there were 4 of us tripping and walking along the San Marcos River back by what they used to call the Girl Scout Camp (I have no idea why though).  One guy carried a 12 pack of shitty beer with him but in the cardboard box.  It wasn't on ice and this was in the summer.  We sat down for a minute and he kept saying that he wasn't feeling anything so he kept slamming his now hot beers.  A few minutes later he projectile hurled like something I've never seen before or since.  It was as if he was the beer can and all of the beers got shaken up inside him and someone removed the top.  It was like a goddam geyser.  He pretty much melted into a puddle after that and I don't think he ever did shrooms again.

Edited by Hate
  • Haha 2

Just gonna drop this here. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5001686

Clinical applications for use of hallucinogens and other psychoactive treatments warrant a real push in further research, imo. PTSD, treatment resistant depression, etc.  Kinda amazing that all of these therapeutic options got waysided by wrong headed bureaucrats from 50-100 years ago.

I really wasn't joking with the notion that maybe what the world needs right now is a little pure grade MDMA.   

Edited by Anastasis

On 7/22/2020 at 2:46 AM, RPM said:

First time I dropped we went to watch the premiere of Alien. There was no doubt it was working. Do not recommend.

i watched Pink Floyd's The Wall over a buddy's house with the A/C on about 10 degs.  about halfway through one of my friends sits straight up, looks at us all wild eyed, and says "I'm calling my mom!"  

"Nooooooo!  You can't do that, bro!"

"No, fuck you, I'm calling my mom!"

fucking shook shit up right there...

12 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i watched Pink Floyd's The Wall over a buddy's house with the A/C on about 10 degs.  about halfway through one of my friends sits straight up, looks at us all wild eyed, and says "I'm calling my mom!"  

"Nooooooo!  You can't do that, bro!"

"No, fuck you, I'm calling my mom!"

fucking shook shit up right there...

A friend of a friend was tripping his ass off back around 1980 and laughing at Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker on their TV show and then there was a close-up of Tammy Faye crying over prayer requests. One of them came from this guy's mom -- she was getting Tammy Faye to pray for her loser son on drugs on national TV.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

A friend of a friend was tripping his ass off back around 1980 and laughing at Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker on their TV show and then there was a close-up of Tammy Faye crying over prayer requests. One of them came from this guy's mom -- she was getting Tammy Faye to pray for her loser son on drugs on national TV.  

That is an example of THE classic acid trip coincidental occurrence.  Mind blown 101 shit....

• Hook 'Em 1

On July 22, 2020 at 4:55 PM, Sbbruin said:

The first time I did was "grad night" at Disneyland.  Where from like 6pm on, only HS seniors with their classes can attend.  Pirates of the Caribbean?  Outstanding.  The Haunted Mansion?  Not so much.  And the end of Space Mountain where you are hauling ass and then come to an immediate halt in this multi-colored light room?  I needed a dustpan to sweep up my brains from the floor of the roller coaster car.

I've never had it not work.  There was one time where like 6 of us who split just a couple grams of shrooms.  Didn't expect much to happen.  Me and one guy split one stem (that was filled with a purple goo inside).  2 of the 6 had nothing really happen.  4 of the 6 had an absolutely mind-bending trip (on the 4th of July).  I was one of the 4.  That was about 20 years ago, and it was the last time I took any hallucinogens, and settled in to a lifetime of drinking.

I dropped acid at Disney World on spring break in 1987. One of the best trips ever. It kicked in hard during Pirates of the Caribbean. One thing that's cool about that ride is that you exit into a different "land" than the one you entered from so it gave a sort of through-the-looking-glass quality to the experience. The trip was on and we were in a different world. 

I enjoyed the Haunted Mansion. I loved it as a kid and was looking forward to experiencing it again. I'm certain I saw another adult couple there who were tripping. No kids, eyes hugely dilated, and the chick had this mouth-agape look of awe/trepidation on her face. There was nothing really mind-blowing about the attraction but I enjoyed riding around in the dark in an air conditioned space. I was able to appreciate the cinematic quality of the ride, the way they direct your vision in those little shell-backed cars in order to make the special effects work. And I liked the colored lights. It's a little like riding through the black light room at Spencer Gifts. Would do again. 

I'm generally not a big roller coaster guy but we went on Space Mountain twice. The second time I let people behind me in line go past so I could get the front seat of the next train. Then we got stuck in place for a minute when we were halfway up that first hill. That was pretty cool. 

The weather, the lush landscaping, the animals, the feeling of being in a movie set, seeing through the facade but buying into it at the same time. Seeing the look of wonder on the faces of little children. And a fireworks show before the park closed. What a great day. Then we drove to Daytona Beach and parked my dad's van on the beach and slept there overnight. 

We had friends who were spending spring break in Daytona so we stayed with them for a day or two and then headed off to Hampton, VA where we hoped to attend our first Dead show. I'd heard that you could buy tickets in the lot at Dead shows. I didn't know that Hampton Coliseum, the spaceship, was a really popular place to see the Dead. We couldn't buy tickets in the lot but we bought more acid and ate some. When the show was about to start, the cops swept through the parking lot and ordered everyone to enter the venue if they had a ticket and to clear out of the lot otherwise. So we went across the street where there was a movie theater and watched Platoon. Not exactly the 60's flashback we'd been shooting for. Then we drove to Virginia Beach, slept in the van in the parking lot of some hotel, then headed back home. I wouldn't see my first Dead show until that summer. 

• Haha 1

On July 22, 2020 at 9:47 PM, tfoolry said:

On a pepperoni pizza. 

I've done this. I once split a quarter oz. of some really good shrooms with a friend and baked a Tony's pepperoni pizza to eat them with. In my haste to get things going, I took a bite of a slice of pizza with a pepperoni at the tip that was curled up like a bowl and filled with hot grease. That payload of hot grease was delivered straight to the roof of my mouth and burned the fuck out of it. Undaunted, I soldiered on, but I had to deal with shards of burnt flesh peeling from the roof of my mouth during the trip. That was a little distracting. But they were really good shrooms and it was an excellent trip. 

This friend and I used to get together to trip a few times s year. We've had some shared hallucinations and other synchronized experiences. We had one that night. We were sitting at opposite ends of the couch listening to The Beatles Past Masters Vol. 2. My eyes were closed and I was immersed in the music. I can't recall if it was during Across The Universe or Let It Be, but the music was just so beautiful that I suddenly started crying. Tears were streaming down my face. Wow, that was crazy. Nothing like that had ever happened to me before. So I turned to my friend to show him what was happening and saw him sitting over there with tears streaming down his face too. Wild. 

On July 23, 2020 at 11:19 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

Any of y'all ever yawn just before you start to trip? I always knew it was coming because I'd start to yawn. I'd also yawn when I started coming down.

I only got the yawns on mushrooms. Never on acid. 

Also, mushroom tea is the most friendly way of taking psilocybin. The dried shrooms taste like crap and don't sit well in the stomach. You wind up picking bits of mushroom out of your teeth and I've had the experience more than once of puking and having the trip kick into high gear after that. The problem with tea is that I was never certain if I was getting all of the drug into the tea.

I'd rather do acid. There's nothing better than good, clean liquid LSD. 

Movies I can vouch for to watch in a psychedelic state:

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii
The Grateful Dead Movie
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Yellow Submarine
Fantasia
Alice In Wonderland
2001: A Space Odyssey

Once upon a time had a roommate that grew them.  We’d read the mycelium cakes they grew on could be made into a (disgusting) tea to trip off.  We tried that, nothing happened after an hour so I went to COBOL class...the tea kicked in just as I was walking across campus.  

In class I sat up front, seemingly answering every question from the prof...despite the paranoia as time seemed to stand still with the whole world looking at me when I raised my hand.  I couldn’t help myself though, the code seemed to leap off the chalkboard and directly into my brain.  One part magic, one part nightmare.  

Growing them was easy, and you knew they were potent as fresh ones bruise purple as the Psilocibin oxidized.  We did the tea thing the next week and saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the theaters.  Beautifully shot movie, despite the hurricane visuals constantly spinning in the theater’s curtains out of the corner of my vision.  

Couldn’t do it now with a wife and two young kids.  I’d need to be a thousand miles away, with nothing to do the next day, no cell phone and a couple Xanax handy just in case.  Good times, however, and forever shaped me.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Movies I can vouch for to watch in a psychedelic state:

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Live At Pompeii
The Grateful Dead Movie
Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Yellow Submarine
Fantasia
Alice In Wonderland
2001: A Space Odyssey

I'd add Tree of Life

13 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'd add Tree of Life

It's a visually gorgeous film, but wouldn't all the kids that die in the movie kinda be a bummer?  

The Tune by Bill Plimpton was always a reliable way to induce a few spells of howling laughter. 

It's a series of animated shorts somewhat clumsily stitched together into a movie, but who gives a shit about any overall plot... 

~~~~~

I also had a brand new Windows 95 laptop with some Grateful Dead screen saver that had a feature that would basically generate a dozen different types of "visuals" that you could sort of control with a few different keys. 

I still own that laptop, and I will happily pass it along to the Doomlet in 10-15 years if I ever get the impression that he's fiddling around with hallucinogens... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Please, please film your Son looking at a machine running Windows 95 in the year 2035 while you tell him about the dangers of LSD.  

It would make the most epic anti-drug PSA in history.  

"Dad...You saved a laptop for 40 years, spending hours every year updating the software and demagnetizing the hard drive, so that you could show me the Grateful Dead screensaver on it...but you want to tell me the cautionary tale about getting too involved with hallucinogens?  I have that about right, dad?"  

"No man, look...you can control the rate at which the tie-dye swirls with the F1-F5 buttons."  

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The Tune by Bill Plimpton was always a reliable way to induce a few spells of howling laughter. 

It's a series of animated shorts somewhat clumsily stitched together into a movie, but who gives a shit about any overall plot... 

~~~~~

I also had a brand new Windows 95 laptop with some Grateful Dead screen saver that had a feature that would basically generate a dozen different types of "visuals" that you could sort of control with a few different keys. 

I still own that laptop, and I will happily pass it along to the Doomlet in 10-15 years if I ever get the impression that he's fiddling around with hallucinogens... 

That dude does some seriously good animation.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

The Three Amigos is a fun movie to watch when tripping, especially the campfire singalong.

Do you have anything besides Mexican food?

That's my favorite comedy. I'm sure it's great to watch in any state. I was on mushrooms the first time I saw Raising Arizona, another favorite of mine. When the titles roll nearly 12 minutes into the movie, I was already completely immersed and had forgotten that we hadn't seen the title sequence yet. Heck, it could've been 30 minutes into the film for all I knew. I fell in love right then and there. 

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I dropped acid at Disney World on spring break in 1987. One of the best trips ever. It kicked in hard during Pirates of the Caribbean. One thing that's cool about that ride is that you exit into a different "land" than the one you entered from so it gave a sort of through-the-looking-glass quality to the experience. The trip was on and we were in a different world. 

I enjoyed the Haunted Mansion. I loved it as a kid and was looking forward to experiencing it again. I'm certain I saw another adult couple there who were tripping. No kids, eyes hugely dilated, and the chick had this mouth-agape look of awe/trepidation on her face. There was nothing really mind-blowing about the attraction but I enjoyed riding around in the dark in an air conditioned space. I was able to appreciate the cinematic quality of the ride, the way they direct your vision in those little shell-backed cars in order to make the special effects work. And I liked the colored lights. It's a little like riding through the black light room at Spencer Gifts. Would do again. 

I'm generally not a big roller coaster guy but we went on Space Mountain twice. The second time I let people behind me in line go past so I could get the front seat of the next train. Then we got stuck in place for a minute when we were halfway up that first hill. That was pretty cool. 

The weather, the lush landscaping, the animals, the feeling of being in a movie set, seeing through the facade but buying into it at the same time. Seeing the look of wonder on the faces of little children. And a fireworks show before the park closed. What a great day. Then we drove to Daytona Beach and parked my dad's van on the beach and slept there overnight. 

We had friends who were spending spring break in Daytona so we stayed with them for a day or two and then headed off to Hampton, VA where we hoped to attend our first Dead show. I'd heard that you could buy tickets in the lot at Dead shows. I didn't know that Hampton Coliseum, the spaceship, was a really popular place to see the Dead. We couldn't buy tickets in the lot but we bought more acid and ate some. When the show was about to start, the cops swept through the parking lot and ordered everyone to enter the venue if they had a ticket and to clear out of the lot otherwise. So we went across the street where there was a movie theater and watched Platoon. Not exactly the 60's flashback we'd been shooting for. Then we drove to Virginia Beach, slept in the van in the parking lot of some hotel, then headed back home. I wouldn't see my first Dead show until that summer. 

Ha, the last time I did acid was in 87 (end of freshman year) at Dead Show at the Ventura fairgrounds.  I was waaaay tripping.  I remember taking a leak in a porta shitter and listening to the music and then realizing I had stopped pissing like 5 minutes earlier.  After the show a bunch of us all went in the ocean.  Had a total Woodstock vibe.  Decided to spend the night and go to the show the next day.  Slept next to some random groups’ campfire in the dirt.  Woke up, found a few “miracles” (tix in Dead parlance), and took acid again.  Tripped even harder.  Was convinced I had crossed over and was going to be permanently tripping.  When I finally came down, I decided that chapter needed to be closed.  Was thankful to have my brain, or what was left of it, back again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Did lots of acid in the 80s but only shrooms once. Picked them off cowshit near Dallas and brewed a tea. Everything was fine until my buddy started ranting and raving about the devil while I sat immobile in a recliner in his mobil home.

Good times