2020 MLB thread

ss13

16 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

god i forgot what a beating a-rod is to listen to.  i mean, he always has been, but tonight is the first time i've noticed him doing something that specifically bothers me:

whenever somebody is trying to make a point by making a list, and the first two things on the list are synonyms, i stop listening.  maybe the wife has just made me more aware, because she does it all the time to try to prove shitty points.  in a 15 minute span, a-rod was talking about someone (stanton maybe?) and said, "he's smart, he's intelligent, he's..." and just now, talking about cole, "he's gotten in shape, he's fit, he's..."

just throw it on the pile i guess.

How Todd Frazier is running with one fan's Yankees hate

Jackie Chiles is the only one who can get away with this:

Lawyer GIF by memecandy

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

god i forgot what a beating a-rod is to listen to.  i mean, he always has been, but tonight is the first time i've noticed him doing something that specifically bothers me:

whenever somebody is trying to make a point by making a list, and the first two things on the list are synonyms, i stop listening.  maybe the wife has just made me more aware, because she does it all the time to try to prove shitty points.  in a 15 minute span, a-rod was talking about someone (stanton maybe?) and said, "he's smart, he's intelligent, he's..." and just now, talking about cole, "he's gotten in shape, he's fit, he's..."

just throw it on the pile i guess.

How Todd Frazier is running with one fan's Yankees hate

Great player but shitty announcer. PED liar. Douchebag overall.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

The history of Buffalo in the major leagues:

Organized baseball in Buffalo had existed since at least 1859, when the Niagara baseball club of the National Association of Base Ball Players played its first season. The first professional team to play in Buffalo began in 1877 as a member of the League Alliance;[5] this team was invited to become a major league club, the Buffalo Bisons of the National League, and played from 1879 to 1885. In 1886, the Bisons moved into minor league baseball as members of the original International League, then known as the Eastern League. (An "outlaw" team also known as the Buffalo Bisons played in the Players' League, an upstart third major league, in 1890, but that team is not considered part of the Bisons history.) This team joined the Western League in 1899, and was within weeks of becoming a major league team when the Western League announced it was becoming a major league and changing its name to the American League in 1900. However, by the start of the 1901 season, Buffalo had been bumped from the league in favor of the Boston Americans; the Bisons returned to the minors and the Eastern League that year.

The Buffalo Blues were a professional baseball club that played in the short-lived Federal League, which was a minor league in 1913 and a full-fledged outlaw major league the next two years. It was the last major league baseball team to be based in the city of Buffalo.

• Like 1

So people really wanted to watch sports last night

SPORTS

ESPN’s MLB Opening Day games draw average of 4 million viewers, up 232% from last year

PUBLISHED FRI, JUL 24 20204:01 PM EDTUPDATED 42 MIN AGO
KEY POINTS
  • Major League Baseball started its Covid-19 regular season Thursday night with a record average 4 million viewers, the most-watched regular-season MLB game on any network since 2011, ESPN said.
  • The New York Yankees’ game against the Washington Nationals was also the highest-rated MLB regular-season game on ESPN in the New York market since 2015, according to the network.

Major League Baseball started its Covid-19 regular season Thursday night with a record average 4 million viewers, the most-watched regular-season MLB game on any network since 2011, according to ESPN, which aired the opener.

The New York Yankees beat the Washington Nationals, 4-1, in MLB’s 2020 Opening Day on ESPN. New Yankees pitcher Gerrit Cole, who signed a $324 million deal last December, earned his first victory for the team.

According to ESPN, the telecast was up “232% from last year’s Opening Night telecast between the Boston Red Sox and Seattle Mariners,” which drew 1.2 million viewers. The game peaked at 4.4 million viewers around 8:30 p.m.

“It also generated a 7.8 rating in the New York market, making it the highest-rated regular season MLB game on ESPN in the market since 2015,” ESPN said.

Also, the network’s second game, between the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers, generated an average of 2.7 million viewers, making it “ESPN’s most-watched MLB regular season late night ET game ever.”

MLB resumes its Opening Day contests Friday with 14 games on the schedule.

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

Hendricks damn near threw a Maddux on opening day.  103 pitches.  Good on Ross for leaving him in.

8 Ks through 4, not sure how many total for the night. Dempster described his change best, "its like a parachute comes out at the end". Brewers were so far out ahead of that pitch...

Have to see how the Cubs play on the road, but I'm thinking undefeated WS Champs!

10 hours ago, ss13 said:

We need a Bruin Dodger thread. 

Then he can talk to himself. 

Those individual team threads are lame (other than the Texas team threads).  They are just echo chambers of the one or 2 fans of a particular team screaming at themselves.  Oh, that’s what you were suggesting.  Tough shit, I’ll talk my Dodger shit here.  Mad Max with a bomb giving the Dodgers a 1-0 lead.  SF does not want to try to play catch-up.  It won’t work out well. 

Those individual team threads are lame (other than the Texas team threads).  They are just echo chambers of the one or 2 fans of a particular team screaming at themselves.  Oh, that’s what you were suggesting.  Tough shit, I’ll talk my Dodger shit here.  Mad Max with a bomb giving the Dodgers a 1-0 lead.  SF does not want to try to play catch-up.  It won’t work out well. 
  • Like 1

I mean, you didn’t have to call me lame.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also, we don’t really “scream.” It’s more an enthusiastic moan.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Still hurts, doesn't it, pumpkin?

Nope, we’re good.  Very good.  Muncy is tonight’s hero with 2 bombs.  Last night was Kike.  Our 5th and 7th best players have walked us to the first 2 wins.  This may be one of the better teams in 30 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2