2020 MLB thread

ss13

Excerpt from a Yahoo Sports article.   Have to wonder about the flight crew test later being reported as negative.

We were OK, too, with those same Marlins sitting on a bus on a tarmac in Atlanta at the end of last week, on their way to Philadelphia, having been told their flight was delayed because a flight attendant and a team official had tested positive for the virus. The flight crew would have to be swapped out, and then they’d be on their way, as if this were normal, as if we actually knew a way to contain this thing, and then they’d be expected to be as good at baseball as they’ve ever been. Then they’d be told the flight attendant and team official had registered false positives, as it turned out, and what a relief that would be if they really believed it, because a couple days later four of their own had the virus, and a day after that another eight or 10 of them had it, and who knew after that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-marlins-covid-19-outbreak-is-really-bad-and-exactly-what-mlb-signed-up-for-160751017.html

How is it not policy that any team with a positive test will immediately report it to the League Office?  The Marlins should not have been deciding what to do in a fucking team meeting.  I can't get over how breathtakingly stupid this plan is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Hmm, well, at least they could somewhat contain things, perhaps?  I dunno.  If location of the bubbles were under debate, I suppose that's one thing.  It seems the NHL and NBA are doing OK (so far) with their plans.

Not sure how you think the NHL is doing OK, as teams just arrived at their bubbles yesterday.

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Have thought similar.  Less series and travel.  More games within each series.  But honestly, introducing travel at all just makes it messy, imo.

You could basically bus for the majority of the trips too. The Eastern teams outside of Tampa and Miami are bus rides away from each other. The Central teams even more so. The only 2 teams that are really isolated from the rest of their games are the Texas teams having to go to the West coast.

I think if MLB survives this week, it's gonna go for a while. I'd like to see team-by-team bets available. My lines for tonight/tomorrow:

Marlins o/u 3.5 new player positives (I say over)

Phillies o/u 1.5 new player positives (fingers crossed for under)

Reds o/u 1.0 new player positives (over)

5 hours ago, Bartles said:

I think if MLB survives this week, it's gonna go for a while. I'd like to see team-by-team bets available. My lines for tonight/tomorrow:

Marlins o/u 3.5 new player positives (I say over)

Phillies o/u 1.5 new player positives (fingers crossed for under)

Reds o/u 1.0 new player positives (over)

I think the most important number is the Phillies. It could give them an idea of the likelihood of a transmission on the field. If something like 5 phillis test positive then I think they know they are in a world of hurt going forward. 

If it makes it past this week, given the Marlins situation, it will make in through the World Series.

Florida needs to be removed from all sporting events, they are just going to fuck everything up. They can play somewhere else, but travel to and from a Florida needs to be eliminated for a while.

I think the most important number is the Phillies. It could give them an idea of the likelihood of a transmission on the field. If something like 5 phillis test positive then I think they know they are in a world of hurt going forward. 
I doubt any Phillies test positive.

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They are going to have to quarantine the entire team.

Well, yeah, that's what they should have done Sunday morning.  I still can't believe they let the players vote on whether or not to play.  "Do we want to play the game and get paid, or do we want to sit out and avoid possibly infecting anyone on the other team?"

3 hours ago, Scraps said:
10 hours ago, Pasken said:

I doubt any Phillies test positive.

What pandemic have you been watching?

I asked in one of the Astros' threads a few weeks back that I wonder what the MLB plan is for when a team has an outbreak.  The answer was that there was no plan for such a crazy impossible unforeseen occurrence.

Edited by kevwun

48 minutes ago, WBT said:

No Phillies tested positive based on yesterday's tests.  They're testing everyone again today and plan to bus to NY to play the Yankees tomorrow.

I'm a Phillies fan, but I think it's crazy to have them even go to a stadium until Monday at the earliest (other than for COVID testing). Just cancel this whole Yankee series and also the weekend with Toronto. If we're lucky enough to have no positives, go ahead and resume playing next week. If that ends up screwing up the playoff race, so be it...chalk it up to 2020 and consider ourselves lucky if this is the only fire to put out.

Similar for the Marlins. Even if they have to sit in hotels for two weeks, that's better than bringing the whole sport down.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I just don’t see how MLB is  going to deal with it. How will all of these games be made up? It’s not over but........it’s over. 

Nats play Miami at home later in the year, they could just flip the games.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I asked in one of the Astros' threads a few weeks back that I wonder what the MLB plan is for when a team has an outbreak.  The answer was that there was no plan for such a crazy impossible unforeseen occurrence.

Apparently the plan was to get the SS to send a group text....

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s as much that they don’t want to play the Petri dish of a team that is the Marlins as traveling  to Miami. 

I would point out to them that none of the Phillies have tested positive (so far).