2020 MLB thread

ss13

Lots of lessons will be learned from this, none of which require "just shut it down" quite yet:

If Phillies somehow don't have multiple infections, that pretty much proves the on-field sport itself is safe. We'll see.

Either way, if the Marlins are the only "pause" team and a couple others have to punt a half-dozen games, that's still a sound template not only for baseball but other sports/activities that attempt to resume their seasons in COVID USA. Pretty likely April 2021 will still be risky.

Will this be a wake-up call around MLB to take distancing seriously, and all the other petty protocols?

Will the Marlins/MLB be honest about contact tracing of this outbreak? It's tempting to shame the Fish, but we really need to give them a pardon if they can provide specific details of what if any behaviors led to this.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Lots of lessons will be learned from this, none of which require "just shut it down" quite yet:

If Phillies somehow don't have multiple infections, that pretty much proves the on-field sport itself is safe. We'll see.

Either way, if the Marlins are the only "pause" team and a couple others have to punt a half-dozen games, that's still a sound template not only for baseball but other sports/activities that attempt to resume their seasons in COVID USA. Pretty likely April 2021 will still be risky.

Will this be a wake-up call around MLB to take distancing seriously, and all the other petty protocols?

Will the Marlins/MLB be honest about contact tracing of this outbreak? It's tempting to shame the Fish, but we really need to give them a pardon if they can provide specific details of what if any behaviors led to this.

Pretty sure we can find the cause pretty easily

245f1da6-fab4-43c9-ae96-4dc3c85f4a61.jpe

25 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Pretty sure we can find the cause pretty easily

245f1da6-fab4-43c9-ae96-4dc3c85f4a61.jpe

It blows my mind that we’re this deep into the pandemic and there are still people that either don’t know how, or refuse to wear their mask the right way. Every time I go out I see that fucking nose out of 30% of everyone’s mask.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

They should be forced to forfeit their season. If you can't make it a weekend and you intentionally put another team at risk, you don't deserve to play. 

Fuck that.  The Yanks and Red Sox get auto wins, guaranteeing the AL east a WC spot.  That will be even more pronounced in the NL East but the league doesn't really care about any NL teams.

So I guess that is exactly what the league will do.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

They should be forced to forfeit their season. If you can't make it a weekend and you intentionally put another team at risk, you don't deserve to play. 

Kind of agree with this.  The organization needs a huge penalty from MLB some way -- at least a big fine.  

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

At the very least, the games they're sitting out right now, should be considered losses.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Kind of agree with this.  The organization needs a huge penalty from MLB some way -- at least a big fine.  

Do what you will with the organization, but if it can be traced to specific players acting irresponsible by heading to a scrip club, etc., my punishment would be a lifetime ban from the Union.  This isn't just about the inability of one jackass to act like a responsible adult for a few months, it's about said irresponsibility ending the season for everyone, and ruining many, many lives.  FFS, the Phillies visiting team locker room attendant has supposedly also been infected because the Marlins acted the fools.

8 hours ago, WBT said:

No Phillies tested positive based on yesterday's tests.  They're testing everyone again today and plan to bus to NY to play the Yankees tomorrow.

Correction:  Yankees/Phillies games in NYC postponed.  Yankees heading to Baltimore for 2 game series that was scheduled for later in season.  Then to NYC to face Boston for home opener. Already turning into a clusterfuck with just one outbreak on one team three games into the season. Color me shocked if they're still playing a month from now.

6 hours ago, Bartles said:

And afterwards the Yankees, Dodgers, Trevor Bauer, and the media will bitch incessantly about that.

Edited by clapclapclap

Welp, according to USA Today's Bob Nightengale on a radio show, 1-2 of the Marlins went out after a game in Atlanta last week. And with lax regulation of everything in Atlanta, there were plenty of vectors for them to catch the virus.

So, I retract what I said about pardoning them even if they do share the info publicly. I mean, I would credit them if they did that (which is unlikely), but how the fuck do you come from Miami and not know you need to stay away from EVERYONE in order to keep your large paychecks intact.

Nightengale radio quotes

So now that there are cancellations and the 60-game schedule won't be pure for all teams, why not put the Yankees back into the Field of Dreams game?  8/13 is an off day for them.  It is one more road trip for them, but 1 less for the Cards, so no net increase in CV risk.  Would get the Yankees closer to the rest of the league in games played.

37 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

So now that there are cancellations and the 60-game schedule won't be pure for all teams, why not put the Yankees back into the Field of Dreams game?  8/13 is an off day for them.  It is one more road trip for them, but 1 less for the Cards, so no net increase in CV risk.  Would get the Yankees closer to the rest of the league in games played.

The yankees will end up getting home field advantage over the Astros, who will have more wins, because of some Big 12 better winning percentage bullshit.

yankees 39-18. .684

Astros 41-19. .683

Edited by UTexasFight

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Well, yeah, that's what they should have done Sunday morning.  I still can't believe they let the players vote on whether or not to play.  "Do we want to play the game and get paid, or do we want to sit out and avoid possibly infecting anyone on the other team?"

They should have never hired Les Miles as their Infection Control Officer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

The yankees will end up getting home field advantage over the Astros, who will have more wins, because of some Big 12 better winning percentage bullshit.

yankees 39-18. .684

Astros 41-19. .683

That’s cute you have the Astros winning 40 games. No cheating, no Cole, no Verlander for a couple weeks, and Dusty Baker at the helm is a poor recipe for a good season. 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s cute you have the Astros winning 40 games. No cheating, no Cole, no Verlander for a couple weeks, and Dusty Baker at the helm is a poor recipe for a good season. 

You know what else is a recipe for a good season? playing 67% of your games against the Rangers, Mariners, Angels and A’s.

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That lineup is stacked.  But the staff is gonna have a rough go.  But I will say that Framber Valdez has some nasty stuff.

red-sox-rays-baseball-fbb1bb9f5a46b02a.j

He would be a strange choice to defend the Dodgers honor.  I think more than anything what ratcheted things up last night was his inability to safely cover 1st base.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Love the “Joe Kelly wasn’t even on the Dodgers in 2017!” complaints. As if his team didn’t get eliminated by the Astros in the playoffs that same year.

“BUT, BUT, BUTWHATABOUT the Red Sox and Yankees cheating?!?”

Sure, they likely cheated to some degree as well (as did other clubs surely did), but the extent of the “Codebreaker” program, which likely the entire front office was complicit in, was far more egregious than any other team had the audacity to try and pull off. Just about every objective MLB reporter or source agrees.

I’m actually surprised it took this long until the Astros got intentionally thrown at. Considering how they get to go the entire year without being publicly booed and shamed in person, they’re still coming out ahead.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Love the “Joe Kelly wasn’t even on the Dodgers in 2017!” complaints. As if his team didn’t get eliminated by the Astros in the playoffs that same year.

“BUT, BUT, BUTWHATABOUT the Red Sox and Yankees cheating?!?”

Sure, they likely cheated to some degree as well (as did other clubs surely did), but the extent of the “Codebreaker” program, which likely the entire front office was complicit in, was far more egregious than any other team had the audacity to try and pull off. Just about every objective MLB reporter or source agrees.

I’m actually surprised it took this long until the Astros got intentionally thrown at. Considering how they get to go the entire year without being publicly booed and shamed in person, they’re still coming out ahead.

Exactly.  Of course teams try to steal signs.  That's been going on for a century.  But their level of full-blown cheatery was off the charts, and that's why they have been universally condemned.  

And they've been beaned a bunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Because you guys think more teams care than really do 

There are only about 6 teams that would even think about intentionally throw at them....the other ones don't give a fuck 

I think you are wrong.  More players do think it was a huge bitch move to cheat at that level.  Some players don't give a shit, but a lot do.  I think it's the Astros who are trying to convince themselves that no one cares.

• Hook 'Em 3

Should we take this back over to the baseball forum's equivalent of the CR, so we can brawl to our hearts' content without boring the non-interested fans?

Edited by clapclapclap
Seems like dbecks, Sbb, and Helob are mad that the Zetas infringed into Sinoloan, Gulf, and Juarez territories.

Zero Phillies positives from Tuesday testing, which is obviously good news but you wouldn't really expect them to pop positive until at least Thursday (with results reported Friday, when the Blue Jays are sitting in town ready to play).

Blue Jays-Phillies pushed back to Saturday DH to give Phils a five-day break, which health officials said should be enough to allow any positive tests to show up. I applaud the safety, but it's pretty foolish to think they can outmaneuver the virus. I would have scrapped the whole series. We'll see what happens.

16 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

No other clubs with widespread positives and seems acknowledged Marlins players went out while in Atlanta.   In other words, there still seems to be hope that the virus isn't easily spread outside, which I'm sure gives MLB hope.  Well, it gives me hope, anyway for more baseball.

This is why the Marlins's season should just be scrubbed.  However many games that reduces their opponents's schedule, everyone else's gets reduced accordingly.  So maybe the season becomes 54 games or whatever.  With the expanded playoffs, the regular season doesn't matter a whole lot.

Even if the bubble idea was scrapped, I do think MLB should have had more strict rules on the players.  Hotels only, no visitors, no going home to family, definitely no going out.  Hire extra folks to monitor and keep exposure to as much of a minimum as possible.  Maybe they did suggest these things, I don't know, I did a poor job keeping up on their protocols.