2020 MLB thread

ss13

For @Beau Vine, this is his boy. 

Even though the White Sox have begun the season without one of their top prospects, second baseman Nick Madrigal, it doesn’t seem as if he’ll wait much longer to make his MLB debut. Director of player development Chris Getz said Thursday that Madrigal is “pretty close” to joining the club, though he didn’t provide a timeline for when it could happen.

Now 23 years old and a top 100 prospect, Madrigal became a member of the White Sox when they chose him fourth overall in the 2018 draft. Madrigal, who’s a diminutive 5-foot-7 and 165 pounds, has only hit four home runs in professional ball since the Sox drafted him, but he has nonetheless been productive. He reached the Triple-A level for the first time last season and slashed .331/.398/.424 (117 wRC+) across 134 plate appearances. The hope is he’ll maintain those type of numbers (or even exceed them) when he reaches the White Sox, who also boast the steady trio of first baseman Jose Abreu, shortstop Tim Anderson and third baseman Yoan Moncada in their infield.

With Madrigal off their 30-man roster in the early going, the White Sox have primarily gone with Leury Garcia at second base. Garcia has never been a threat at the plate, though, and with Chicago off to a 2-4 start in a 60-game season, it may behoove the club to bring up Madrigal in the very near future. Service time shouldn’t be a concern for the White Sox in regards to Madrigal in the coming days, as keeping him down for a week of games will clinch an extra year of control for the team.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I mean it does say positive tests in the tweet. My working knowledge of the English language leads me to believe there is more than one positive test. 

Ha touché. When I first heard about this story i heard one test. I didn’t even notice the “tests” when I copied the tweet. Oops 

I guess MLB either has to shelve the Cardinals for a week (and maybe the Twins too, since they just faced each other), or else they'll have some explanation like after contact tracing they are confident the affected players have all been isolated, and the series can begin tomorrow.

43 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I guess MLB either has to shelve the Cardinals for a week (and maybe the Twins too, since they just faced each other), or else they'll have some explanation like after contact tracing they are confident the affected players have all been isolated, and the series can begin tomorrow.

This doesn't seen wise:

According to The Athletic’s Mark Saxon, the Cardinals have been told that, if the rest of the team tests negative, the series with the Brewers will start on Saturday. That, of course, is subject to change, Saxon added.

If you do the podcast thing, today’s episode of The Lead (produced by The Athletic) features Daniel Bard’s comeback story. Worth a listen.

https://theathletic.com/podcast/99-the-lead/?episode=228

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-lead/id1478448344#episodeGuid=gid%3A%2F%2Fart19-episode-locator%2FV0%2Fh1DteD3XrioNBLZRRvJLr7LQ_tucu4kSEoiqp17DVQg

11 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Why are they not trying out the automated strike zone?  

O's just got screwed over hard by home plate ump Tim Donaghy.  Strike zone alternates by half inning.

Yeah.  Seems the perfect time to do it.  Put the home plate ump in front of a replay camera.  Let him review called balls strikes when there is a dispute.  That way we can see the tech in action during this short season and the ump can also social distance from the catcher.

Instead, we are trying out this stupid man on 2nd extra innings rule.  At least I hope it is just getting tried out and not permanent.

• Hook 'Em 1

Phillies with zero positives from yesterday's tests, team is staying away from stadium for now.

Marlins planning to send infected players back to Miami via sleeper buses? Curious about the medical safety of that plan, especially for the bus driver and anyone else who is not infected. Or if it's possible at least one Marlin had a false positive but now becomes legit infected on the bus.

What's left of the Marlins will bus down to DC to meet their taxi squad reinforcements and supposedly actually start playing again.

43 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yeah.  Seems the perfect time to do it.  Put the home plate ump in front of a replay camera.  Let him review called balls strikes when there is a dispute.  That way we can see the tech in action during this short season and the ump can also social distance from the catcher.

Instead, we are trying out this stupid man on 2nd extra innings rule.  At least I hope it is just getting tried out and not permanent.

Lulz

mlb couldn’t work out an agreement with it actual players

you really think they were going to get something figured out with the umpire union?

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So half the marlins will be out?  Are they going to have to play even if several are out of position? Seems like a serious competitive advantage for the team(s) that play them in such a state. 

It's a serious competitive advantage to play the Marlins in any state.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

are we really canceling games because of one positive test now, or is there more to this? 

That's probably very similar to what was asked when the proposal first came to shut down the country. Are we really going to shut down the country with only a handful of people dying. We now have over 150K dead. I'm as big of a baseball as anyone, but saving what's left of the season is not worth it. 

12 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Why are they not trying out the automated strike zone?  

O's just got screwed over hard by home plate ump Tim Donaghy.  Strike zone alternates by half inning.

Probably had money on the game.

Edited by C-Man

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Lulz

mlb couldn’t work out an agreement with it actual players

you really think they were going to get something figured out with the umpire union?

I get it.  We need to keep antiquated systems forever because people have guaranteed jobs doing old timey things.  But those guaranteed jobs don't have to be exactly what they are doing.  They can sit in the replay booth and get paid instead, and fewer replacements can be hired as current umps retire.  Same thing the NYC MTA needs to do in order to have modern driverless trains that run on time.  Umpire union should be way easier to break than the MTA union.