2020 MLB thread

ss13

Still a little drama for the last day. 

WHO IS NEXT: The Brewers can clinch a postseason berth with a victory over the Cardinals. The Cardinals can clinch a postseason berth with a win over the Brewers. The Giants can clinch the No. 8 seed in the NL with a win over the Padres and a loss by the Brewers. The Phillies can claim the No. 8 seed with a win over the Rays and losses by the Giants and Brewers.

So that Mil/StL game at 2:15 is rather large. Brett Anderson v. Austin Gomber. No pressure, kid. 

See ya, Billy. 

The Los Angeles Angels fired general manager Billy Eppler on Sunday, moments after the team concluded its fifth consecutive losing season.

The firing surprisingly comes with one year left on Eppler's deal; the Angels quietly extended Eppler through the 2021 season over the summer, a source confirmed to ESPN. Eppler, who finished his fifth season with the organization after joining in 2015, was on an expiring contract when the year began.

In a statement, Angels president John Carpino said: "The Angels organization would like to thank Billy for his dedication and work ethic over the last five years. We wish him and his family all the best."

The Angels finished the shortened 2020 season with a 26-34 record, a major disappointment for a team that carried a lot of hype after the hiring of manager Joe Maddon and the signing of third baseman Anthony Rendon.

Eppler played a lead role in recruiting Shohei Ohtani, was a big reason Mike Trout decided to spend basically his entire career with the Angels and took steps to rebuild the farm system. He added high-ceiling talent such as Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh. But Eppler consistently came up short addressing the pitching staff.

The manager he appointed in 2019, Brad Ausmus, lasted only one season.

Decorated executive Dave Dombrowski has been rumored inside and outside of baseball to be his successor.

The Angels have made the playoffs only once since 2012, even though Trout has been arguably the game's greatest player. The team went 80-82 in back-to-back seasons in 2017 and 2018, Mike Scioscia's last two years with the organization, then lost 90 games in 2019 -- a season marked by the sudden death of young starting pitcher Tyler Skaggs from a drug overdose.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:05 AM, Helobious said:

Yankees have hit at least 6 homers in 3 straight games, a new MLB record. Oh yeah and they’ve won 8 in a row.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:23 PM, shadow_operative said:

that's perfect. let's get the Yankees hype train running at full steam heading into the postseason, just so they can lose to the Indians a round or two shy of the WS.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:30 PM, Helobious said:

9 in a row. And lol at the Yankees ever losing to Cleveland again in the playoffs. Cle got those cheeks clapped in 2017 after being up 2-0. They aren’t a scary team in the slightest. They’re the next Twins in terms of being the Yankees’ gimp. The A’s & Rays are the biggest hurdles for NY this year. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f290aa518ca034c2fb81d

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, I’m still not remotely worried. It’s the fucking Indians. It sucks that Stanton came back, I thought he was done for the year. But despite him I think the Yankees have the right mix to go the distance if they get hot. 

Looks forward to reaction after Bieber takes game 1 and Cole is burned for the WC round 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ei91QhVXkAIgY8Y?format=jpg&name=large

I saw Tuesday and thought, "This is great, they're actually scheduling this early enough where schoolkids can watch all of this.

Then I saw Wednesday and that ESPN kinda screwed Milwaukee fans, because they don't want much competing with their precious Yankees & Dodgers and wanted to market a quadruple header instead of the late game on ESPN2.

Nevertheless, WednesDAY is going to be awesome.

Edited by clapclapclap
Super Regionals are finally here
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Wednesday is 'MLB Madness'

Also interesting is that there are no off days during the DS and CS rounds.  Gonna need 5 starters or go short rest.

Yeah, I love the lack of off days.  Teams will have to use their entire pitching staffs and won't be able to pull the extreme bullpenning that's become so popular in the playoffs.  Other than days between series, the only off day is between game 5 and game 6 of the world series.

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I can’t wait to meet a good Indians hitter not named Lindor or Ramirez. (Narrator: There are none)

the yankees have one professional hitter on the team, and against pitching like the Indians have, that's not usually enough to just be out here acting like you're about to face a high school team. postseason baseball is different; hitting in the postseason is different. every single pitch matters, and with the stakes raised it can be hard to break shitty habits, of which your Yankee hitters have many. plus with Gerrit Cole serving up HR's like Bryce Harper's dad, you might find your team having to come from behind against Cleveland's admittedly mediocre bullpen. you might consider being more humble going into this thing. 

Helobrious started out denigrating Cleveland’s pitching. Then had it pointed out to him how much better their staff is than the Yankees so he pivoted to Yankees’ superior hitting. Which is accurate.  However, to claim this series is a mismatch is misguided. Yankees scored about a run more per game while the Indians gave up about a run less. I like pitching over hitting in the post- season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Wednesday is 'MLB Madness'

Also interesting is that there are no off days during the DS and CS rounds.  Gonna need 5 starters or go short rest.

I find this all a bit ironic.

In a normal year:

Regular season: need a solid 1-5 starting pitching rotation and a deep bullpen to get through the grind of 162 games to reach the playoffs.

Postseason: only need 2 or 3 solid starting pitchers and a few solid relievers thanks to all of the off days.

In 2020: 

Regular season: only need 2 or 3 solid starting pitchers and a few solid relievers to get in the dance.

Postseason: need a solid 1-5 starting pitching rotation and a deep bullpen to get through the mental and physical grind of, potentially, 22 playoff games in 29 days. 

(too bad my Astros have neither)

Edited by UTexasFight