2020 MLB thread

ss13

43 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This is why the Marlins's season should just be scrubbed.  However many games that reduces their opponents's schedule, everyone else's gets reduced accordingly.  So maybe the season becomes 54 games or whatever.  With the expanded playoffs, the regular season doesn't matter a whole lot.

They have like 12 games vs each normal division team don’t they?

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Exactly.  Of course teams try to steal signs.  That's been going on for a century.  But their level of full-blown cheatery was off the charts, and that's why they have been universally condemned.  

And they've been beaned a bunch.

"This team's cheating was different because..." It wasn't your brand of cheating, therefore it is cheating. They were universally condemned because people had to act shocked, shocked I tell you, even though some version of it happens in every single club house at all levels of professional baseball. The pitchers are enjoying the opportunity because they are the ones adversely affected by it on every team. Every pitcher's numbers are affected by sign stealing every year and they get to take it out on the Astros. Hooray for them.

The righteous indignation of the fans of a sport where cheating is romanticized and huge part of the lore is amazing, though. NASCAR might have been the first sport to openly embrace "if you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'," but baseball long perfected that mentality back when NASCAR was nothing but a bunch of hillbilly moonshiners.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Even if the bubble idea was scrapped, I do think MLB should have had more strict rules on the players.  Hotels only, no visitors, no going home to family, definitely no going out. 

What you have just described is a bubble.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 games and he couldn't even make contact with either guy. Plus wasn't Joe Kelly playing for the red sox when they cheated in 2018? Seems odd to have a guy that wasn't even with the team in 2017 and to have the same guy that cheated with the Sox that beat the Dodgers to be the one that throws at the Astros. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I would answer that if I could understand it.

Sure. I Would Love to know how Dodger fans feel about Betts since he cheated to beat the Dodgers and how they feel about Joe "Can't hit a strike zone or a person" kelly.

The Double standard is Hilarious. Joe throws at Astros for cheating to beat a team he didn't play for when he played for a team that did the same thing the next year to beat the Dodgers. 

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Sure. I Would Love to know how Dodger fans feel about Betts since he cheated to beat the Dodgers and how they feel about Joe "Can't hit a strike zone or a person" kelly.

The Double standard is Hilarious. Joe throws at Astros for cheating to beat a team he didn't play for when he played for a team that did the same thing the next year to beat the Dodgers. 

OK, to answer you (not sure why I need to) but Kelly was on the Sox in '17 and got robbed just like we did.  So he has a direct bone to pick with the cheaters.  And Betts?  I'm OK that we signed one of the 2 or 3 best players in baseball.  Just like I'd be fine if we signed Altuve or Bregman.  But the cheating in Houston was done at an organizational level.  Top to bottom.  But if you think that title is clean, good for you.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

OK, to answer you (not sure why I need to) but Kelly was on the Sox in '17 and got robbed just like we did.  So he has a direct bone to pick with the cheaters.  And Betts?  I'm OK that we signed one of the 2 or 3 best players in baseball.  Just like I'd be fine if we signed Altuve or Bregman.  But the cheating in Houston was done at an organizational level.  Top to bottom.  But if you think that title is clean, good for you.  

Your new godking won a World Series AGAINST YOUR FUCKING TEAM while pitching for the alleged mastermind of that organizational scheme.  But yeah, build that statue!

Actually, looking at his stats in that World Series, this might be a case of Stockholm syndrome.  6 IP over 5 games, 0 runs, 10 strikeouts.  Yikes.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Sad Baby GIF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbecks said:

Ken Rosenthal:

“The eight-game suspension for Joe Kelly in a 60-game season is the equivalent of a 22-game suspension in a 162-game season. Seems…harsh.”

A couple of reasons for the 21.6 games sentence:

1.  JoKe threw at the head of 3 batters that inning, Yuli also had to dodge multiple chin music pitches in his at bat.  Has a history as a dirty pitcher.  Some question if his blocking half the runner's side of the bag with his foot as Brantley arrived was intentional.

2.  It probably gets reduced on appeal.

3.  Wants to send a message before it gets out of hand, because any more escalation and the Astros will eventually (or tonight) retaliate.

4.  Wants LA & NYY to soon drop the subject, lest the Astros organization decides to sue and get into discovery.  MLB minimized as much as they could the investigation of the originator and repeat offender Red Sox.  Completely covered up for the dirty Yankees.  Rumors that LAD was dirty, too, along with the Cubs and a few more organizations.  MLB scapegoated the Astros and wants all this to go away.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

A couple of reasons for the 21.6 games sentence:

1.  JoKe threw at the head of 3 batters in a row, Yuli also had to dodge multiple chin music pitches in his at bat.  Has a history as a dirty pitcher.

2.  It probably gets reduced on appeal.

3.  Wants to send a message before it gets out of hand, because any more escalation and the Astros will eventually (or tonight) retaliate.

4.  Wants LA & NYY to soon drop the subject, lest the Astros organization decides to sue and get into discovery.  MLB minimized as much as they could the investigation of the originator and repeat offender Red Sox.  Completely covered up for the dirty Yankees.  Rumors that LAD was dirty, too, along with the Cubs and a few more organizations.  MLB scapegoated the Astros and wants all this to go away.

Or we could just go with he's a shitty commissioner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I said way back when all this was fresh in late 2019 that the reason the Astros got blanket immunity is because Mike Fiers went outside the family by going to a journalist and threw the Astros under the bus when this is actually a league-wide problem. The Astros agreed to take the heat and keep the cheating scandal restricted to them as long as they weren't punished severely and as long as everyone puts it behind them ASAP. The problem is that I think pitchers are fed up with their stats and contracts being affected by what is essentially league-wide cheating through sophisticated sign stealing and now that there is blood in the water, they want sign stealing to stop altogether.

It's the steroid era all over again. A league-wide problem that the MLB turns a blind eye to and buries their head in the sand until the press gets their teeth into it, then players come out and start slinging soundbites to try to deflect from their team, then it eventually turns out that if one team gets an asterisk, then a whole decade gets an asterisk. That's the MLB, gentlemen. It's fun to beat up on the Astros now like it was fun to beat up on Bonds in the early 2000s. The reality is that baseball is, and always has been, a very dirty sport.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I said way back when all this was fresh in late 2019 that the reason the Astros got blanket immunity is because Mike Fiers went outside the family by going to a journalist and threw the Astros under the bus when this is actually a league-wide problem. The Astros agreed to take the heat and keep the cheating scandal restricted to them as long as they weren't punished severely and as long as everyone puts it behind them ASAP. The problem is that I think pitchers are fed up with their stats and contracts being affected by what is essentially league-wide cheating through sophisticated sign stealing and now that there is blood in the water, they want sign stealing to stop altogether.

It's the steroid era all over again. A league-wide problem that the MLB turns a blind eye to and buries their head in the sand until the press gets their teeth into it, then players come out and start slinging soundbites to try to deflect from their team, then it eventually turns out that if one team gets an asterisk, then a whole decade gets an asterisk. That's the MLB, gentlemen. It's fun to beat up on the Astros now like it was fun to beat up on Bonds in the early 2000s. The reality is that baseball is, and always has been, a very dirty sport.

Yep. The Yankees dynasty in the 90s was filthy with cheaters.

Eight games seems terrible. Some Astros deserve to get thrown at this season. 

Indeed. Kelly previously got a 6-game suspension in a 162-game season for actually hitting a player and fighting him. How does he get an 8-game suspension in a 60-game season for missing Correa and Bregman? He didn't even get ejected.

If he’s such an egregious repeat offender, you’d think the ump would’ve done something about it then and there.

Manfred’s defense of the Astros is almost as shameful as Jim Crane, and he owns the fucking team.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Indeed. Kelly previously got a 6-game suspension in a 162-game season for actually hitting a player and fighting him. How does he get an 8-game suspension in a 60-game season for missing Correa and Bregman? He didn't even get ejected.

If he’s such an egregious repeat offender, you’d think the ump would’ve done something about it then and there.

Manfred’s defense of the Astros is almost as shameful as Jim Crane, and he owns the fucking team.

Manfred is protecting the rest of the league from litigation that will reveal an entire culture of shenanigans.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Stiffer penalties for those who instigate bench clearing situations this season because of COVID.  Moose out front shoulda told ya.