2020 MLB thread

ss13

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I seem to remember suggesting this rule (I know many did)

Maybe if they had strenuously objected as opposed to just strongly discouraged then a full 'not allowed' wouldn't be in order.

bICzyFFyhhfl.jpg

Shohei done on the mound again this season. And this... 

The Angels will promote top prospect Jo Adell, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). The club is off tonight, so he’ll have his first shot at playing in the majors tomorrow evening.

Adell entered each of the past two seasons as a consensus top-ten prospect leaguewide. Selected out of high school in the first round of the 2017 draft, he has certainly hit his ceiling as a prospect. Now we’ll see whether he can do so as a major leaguer.

Given the timing of the promotion, Adell will not be able to accrue a full season of MLB service this year. He’s now on track to reach free agency after the 2026 season. If he holds down a roster spot from this point forward, Adell will surely qualify for arbitration in advance of the 2023 season as a Super Two player.

The 21-year-old Adell has generally thrived on his way up the ladder. He didn’t impress at Triple-A last year after a late-season promotion, but he showed well in the Arizona Fall League and doesn’t really have anything left to prove. All told, Adell owns a .298/.361/.518 batting line in the minors.

Most prospect watchers expect Adell to grow into added power. He’s already driving the ball all over the field and has the wheels to take extra bases. That speed also serves Adell well in the outfield, where he also possesses a big arm.

There’s really not much not to like. Adell does have some swing and miss but not so much that it’s considered a likely hindrance. As with any prospect, there’s a wide variance of potential outcomes. But Halos fans have every reason to be excited to welcome another premium talent to the roster.

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Baez probably is the best at making tags right now but that play was all on Contreras. Baez only needed to close the glove.

Oh, one other thing. Mondesi is playing like he'd rather be somewhere else. I can't think of another player that makes so many half-hearted swings at balls in the dirt. His defense is sucky too.

17 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I seem to remember suggesting this rule (I know many did)

If this isn't Exhibits A-Z why Manfred is the worst commissioner. 

You don't want to institute a bubble, fine. But it better be MANDATORY from day 1 that you cannot leave your team hotel.

Manfred basically wrote a strongly worded note and the Cards wiped their asses with it. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

The club has a crowded outfield with Justin Upton, Brian Goodwin and Trout, but Angels manager Joe Maddon said that Upton and Goodwin will form a platoon in left field. Upton has been struggling his year and now will be limited to only starting against lefties, unless he begins to improve.

“I talked to Justin the other night,” Maddon said. “I wanted to give him the appropriate heads up. I have too much respect for him otherwise. It could change. Don't get me wrong, things change. But for right now this is what we're doing. When you bring up an Adell, a player like that, first of all you have to make sure he's ready to do this. And second of all, you don't want him sitting around and trying to be a bench player. It's not going to help us or him.”

$51M owed in next two years. 

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And they won (albeit over Baltimore).

hey, Baltimore just swept everyone's sexy WS pick and is probably better than Boston this year. Yankees gonna clinch this division w 20 games to go and Helobious will blame that for when they don't win the WS. well, that's considering we actually complete the season, but still. 

• Hook 'Em 1